Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The old WWE gimmicks thread

Curtain Jerker

Status

The old WWE gimmicks thread

I like the old gimmicks from New Generation Era. I'm talking about guys like Tatanka, Giant Gonzales, Mantaur and Doink. That was a fun time to be a wrestling fan. WWE should bring back the magic.

You don't even see the cowboys and indians anymore. That's sad. I was a big fan of Tatanka back in those days. Who can forget the Smoking Gunns? It seems WWE has forgotten they even have a tag team division.
    Last edited by Fuji Vice; 09-16-2019 at 07:50 AM. Reason: DP

Re: The old WWE gimmicks thread

In general, I wouldn't say gimmicks have fully recovered after wrestling went more gritty and realistic with the Attitude Era and then the rise of MMA caused the WWE to go with more straight up regular men as wrestlers. In general, the problem seems to be trying to figure out what works in this day and age. A lot of those cliche gimmicks of the mid 90s were no longer working and wrestling needed to get away from them. It's why we don't see cowboys, Native Americans, ect anymore because they're so dated, which is particularly a problem when the WWE tries to be seen as a worldwide company rather than catering to a specific region. At the same time, it's not as if gimmicks aren't used anymore. For better or for worse, Bray Wyatt has been pure gimmick ever since Husky Harris was killed off.

Could pro wrestling benefit from more gimmicks these days? Perhaps, but WWE also really struggles to make them work without allowing them to become too cheesy or the gimmick holds them back from being viewed as a serious threat.

Curtain Jerker

Status

I believe Gangrel could make it in this era. There are alot of fans that like vampire related stuff such as Vampire Diaries and Twilight. You also can't forget about the classic The Lost Boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason King View Post
    I believe Gangrel could make it in this era. There are alot of fans that like vampire related stuff such as Vampire Diaries and Twilight. You also can't forget about the classic The Lost Boys.
    Twilight fad was a decade ago. Since then, that fad has died, the zombie fad came and is pretty much dead, and things like clowns have become big. In general, vampires in wrestling has just had bad timing. No one cared about vampires by the late 90s and Kevin Thorn came and went just before the Twilight craze started. Considering a vampire wrestler is mostly just a monster gimmick, I'd say Bray Wyatt is currently taking care of that gimmick with The Fiend.

Curtain Jerker

Status
    I'm enjoying The Fiend and The Viking Experience in current WWE. They are doing it right.

I believe these old school gimmicks can work with the right person. Bradshaw pulled off the cowboy gimmick. He is a rugged tough guy from Texas. The New Blackjacks were an underrated tag team as well. Waylon Mercy was also a great character portrayed by a no nonsense tough guy Dan Spivey. You can clearly see bits of his character in Bray Wyatt.
    Last edited by Fuji Vice; 09-16-2019 at 07:51 AM. Reason: DP

Quote Originally Posted by Jason King View Post
    I believe these old school gimmicks can work with the right person. Bradshaw pulled off the cowboy gimmick. He is a rugged tough guy from Texas. The New Blackjacks were an underrated tag team as well. Waylon Mercy was also a great character portrayed by a no nonsense tough guy Dan Spivey. You can clearly see bits of his character in Bray Wyatt.
    Bradshaw was a cowboy over twenty years ago. He never even got a big push until he dropped the cowboy gimmick.

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

I mean you got the typical strerotypical foreign bad guy that is a gimmick that still gets over well now and days. Look at Mahal from Canada playing a India bad guy or Shin as a bad guy from Japan Santino as a Italian bad guy or Vlad K., Lana & Rusev any heel that can go against a RWB born in the usa babyface. Then you got old estabalished gimmicks like The Deadman still pretty over.

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

Idk if the Undertaker is over because of his gimmick, or just out of pure respect and acknowledgement for everything he's done for the business. Maybe it's because I've grown older, but god his gimmick, and entrance are so cheesy. Maybe his mystique is just completely gone for me because he's ruining his own legacy. I can't ever get it out of my head how hard to watch that match vs Roman was, just kept thinking how they need to take the dog out back and put him out of his misery.

I think cheesy can still work in this day and age, but it has to be cheesy in alignment with what's currently in, or has maintained popularity.

Curtain Jerker

Status

I like the Undertaker gimmick. It brought out stuff like the power of the urn and a manager called Paul Bearer. They have classic matches such as the casket match and buried alive matches. I miss the Funeral Parlor show. I can still remember the feud between him and Jake "The Snake" Roberts like it was yesterday.

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

I can kinda get his point. A large amount of mainstream wrestler's characters seem to boil down to 'good at wrestling' or, even worse, 'MMA/UFC guy', and while I completely understand why it does kinda limit the fun, somewhat.

Ideally there'd be a happy medium. Colorful, over-the-top, out-there characters who can do the wrestling good so you have unique promos or segments in addition to kickass matches. Breezango, Velveteen Dream, Bray Wyatt, The Ascension (shut up, I know the terms 'Ascension' and 'kickass matches' aren't really suited for each other, just let me have this) are fair shouts, but even the realistically grounded characters who have a specific trait to work with (see: Eco-Warrior Daniel Bryan, A-Lister Miz to name a few) are a breath of fresh air.

Lucha Underground - may it rip in peace - did fantastic with this. Matanza, Drago, Aero Star, Mil Muertes, so many people with gimmicks that could've easily been cheesy, but they made them work because it fit in the universe LU had created for itself.

CWA: A Decade of Decadence
    Maybe the end of something great.
    Maybe the start of something new.
    Stay tuned.

Curtain Jerker

Status
    Bradshaw continued to wear his cowboy hat and became one of the greatest characters in WWE history. The first one was to pay homage to Stan Hansen. His best work was as the J.R. Ewing of WWE. Dallas was a big time TV show.

Lucha Underground is fun. I like Mil Muertes and Pentagon. Vampiro doing commentary is the icing on the cake.
    Last edited by Fuji Vice; 09-16-2019 at 07:52 AM. Reason: DP

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Idk if the Undertaker is over because of his gimmick, or just out of pure respect and acknowledgement for everything he's done for the business. Maybe it's because I've grown older, but god his gimmick, and entrance are so cheesy. Maybe his mystique is just completely gone for me because he's ruining his own legacy. I can't ever get it out of my head how hard to watch that match vs Roman was, just kept thinking how they need to take the dog out back and put him out of his misery.

I think cheesy can still work in this day and age, but it has to be cheesy in alignment with what's currently in, or has maintained popularity.
    The gimmick might be cheesy but that entrance is godlike. His WrestleMania 28 entrance >>>>>.

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    Bulgaria

That's your time of match then.

The Iron Sheik vs. Brother Love vs. Bushwhacker Butch vs. Bushwhacker Luke vs. Doink vs. Duke Droese vs. Earthquake vs. Hillbilly Jim vs. James E. Cornette vs. Kamala w/Harvey Wippleman vs. Kim Chee vs. Michael Hayes vs. Nikolai Volkoff vs. Repo Man vs. Sgt. Slaughter vs. The Gobbledy Gooker vs. The Goon vs. The One Man Gang vs. Tugboat (Gimmick Battle Royal Match) - WWF WrestleMania X-Seven: April 1, 2001

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    The gimmick might be cheesy but that entrance is godlike. His WrestleMania 28 entrance >>>>>.
    I've disliked Undertaker and I've hated his absurdly long entrance since I started watching wrestling. The most invested I've ever been into Taker was probably his JBL feud and his Batista WM feud.

I've disliked Undertaker and I've hated his absurdly long entrance since I started watching wrestling. The most invested I've ever been into Taker was probably his JBL feud and his Batista WM feud.
    Have you ever seen it live?

People's Champion

Status

I agree on his entrance. Its long and annoying. Ive seen it live.
    It was good for a smoke break.

Sandmans entrance with Enter Sandman kills Takers long boring ass entrance.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

There is still a place for solid gimmicks but finding the right niche without offending people makes it pretty difficult. In the 80's and 90's when a lot of these flamobyant gimmicks were about you could get away with a lot more. These days you can't especially with so many different sponsors to please etc.

I'm just waiting for WWE to pull the trigger and have a non-binary character......
    I have a plan so cunning......

I can't stand The Sandman's entrance anymore. Even when I hear Metallica's Enter Sandman, it's such a waste of time since ECW is always in a small building, yet he takes ages to get to the ring.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Really? I make jokes abut the length all the time but it still gives me goosebumps whenever I see the entrance. What about Taker do you dislike anyway?

Relentless Admin

Status

Raye, AEW's roster has it's fair share of cheesy gimmicks, I'm surprised Undertaker is too cheesy for your tastes when you like a wrestling dinosaur that can talk

Taker's live entrance is the highlight of my live experiences at a wrestling show. There's nothing they can do with his supernatural gimmick that can ever drag me into a storyline of his, for so long now his pops are due to decades of respect and nostalgia, not holy shit that was creepy or wow look at that lightning. But as a kid, sure I thought Taker was cool af. Would be interesting to know if the younger generation with no built in respect for Taker find his gimmick cool or lame when he randomly shows up, is a gimmick that really suited the 90s or does it transcend the decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    I'm just waiting for WWE to pull the trigger and have a non-binary character......
    I don't think we're anywhere close to that happening, nor really should it unless WWE happen to have a non-binary wrestler on their roster AND a desire from that wrestler to make it part of their character. Sonya's been openly gay for years but I don't think it's once been apart of her on-screen character that she's gay so I don't think they are interested in stories like that. I wouldn't trust WWE with characters based on sexuality or gender anyway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information