Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The old WWE gimmicks thread

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: The old WWE gimmicks thread

I used to love the lighting aspect of Taker's gimmick when I was a kid. Used to incorporate it all the time with my wrestling figures . Him kidnapping people or just showing up out of the blue was awesome. I'm not sure how I'd feel about him doing it now though.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

I still love Takers gimmick and his entrance still gives me goosebumps. Fantastic and it's even better live! :D

I think in general there's probably less gimmicks now because they're harder to get over and appeal more to niche audiences rather then a global fan base a lot of the time. I'm thinking people in NXT like Emma and No Way Jose but when it comes to the Main Roster, it doesn't always translate. That's why it will be interesting to see how someone like Orange Cassidy does once he's on AEW Tv and his gimmick isn't just shown to the niche hardcore audience of fans. I guess luchasaurus too who I think is awesome.

But I think when you get one now and it works, it's often very good. Fiend being a good example and also the likes of Velveteen Dream. So, there's definitely still room for good gimmicks in wrestling when they're done right but I think we are mostly very much removed from the standard stereotypical gimmicks.

"LET ME IN.."

Curtain Jerker

Status

Bray Wyatt's old entrance was up there with Undertaker. I still believe he is the best character out there today. I didn't like when they turned One Man Gang into Akeem. That battle royal match at WM17 brought back great memories. I just wish Tatanka and Waylon Mercy made an appearance.

Character Jobber

Status
      Country                    United States

I kinda like some of the goofy gimmicks of the early-to-mid 90's. The likes of Max Moon, Avatar, Techno Team 2000, and my namesake, Battle Kat.

THE FACE THAT RUNS THE PLACE

Curtain Jerker

Status

I think Mantaur was an interesting gimmick. He would come out in a bull mask. It isn't much different than The Wyatt Family with sheep mask or Kamala's mask. That would have been popular over in Japan. It's the little stuff like that makes wrestling exciting to watch all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason King View Post
    I think Mantaur was an interesting gimmick. He would come out in a bull mask. It isn't much different than The Wyatt Family with sheep mask or Kamala's mask. That would have been popular over in Japan. It's the little stuff like that makes wrestling exciting to watch all these years.
    That's basically what Vader had in Japan, except Vader's smoking bull headgear was more bad ass and less goofy looking.

Character Jobber

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    That's basically what Vader had in Japan, except Vader's smoking bull headgear was more bad ass and less goofy looking.
    It kinda was like Vader's mask. Not only that, but his physique was similar to Vader's.

THE FACE THAT RUNS THE PLACE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information