Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWE Draft coming in October

Status
      Country                    United States

WWE Draft coming in October

Well, it's been speculated that a draft is impending ever since WWE appointed Heyman and Bischoff to their new snazzy roles on Raw and Smackdown respectively. The news has been confirmed now by Dave Meltzer and John Pollock, and the Draft is set to kick off on October 11th's Smackdown, and continue on the October 14th edition of Raw.

So that's quite interesting. Has a draft ever kicked off an episode of Smackdown? That would be the second episode of Smackdown on FOX and it comes from Las Vegas so you can kind of see the motivation for it. Hopefully with this Draft we will see the end of the Wildcard Rule (for real) and who knows? Maybe this Draft and "reset" of shows with Smackdown moving to Fox can recreate the magic of 2016's post-Draft WWE. I certainly hope so.

So now we have to question whether this Draft will change things? Will it be better for the product to have these extra fresh rosters and a definitive split in the talent? I certainly welcome the end of having Shane, Elias, Roman and Alexa on both shows each week. But that brings up the issue of the WWE Women's Tag Team Titles. At least with the 24/7 title, you can pull off title changes anytime, anywhere, you don't even need people to hop brands to challenge for the title because a Smackdown superstar can pin the champ from Raw at a charity softball game (btw when will Sid get his run?) but does this mean that the Women's Tag Division will have to exist on one show or will they be the two people who are able to float between brands? And I believe the big question on a lot of people's minds is will NXT have a role in this Draft? It will be headed to USA before we know it and could use (at least in WWE's minds) a few more noticeable faces to really help it pack a punch and pull in some ratings.

That will all be pretty interesting to see. Do you guys see this Draft enhancing the quality of WWE? Will they be able to keep the rosters effectively split? Should NXT get picks in this draft? And of course the most fun~! question of all... who do you want to see on which brand?
    Last edited by The EC; 09-06-2019 at 06:00 AM.

Status

Re: WWE Draft coming in October

WWE has proven over the years they can't stick to plans ever, and as soon as there are rating issues they hit the panic button and start to put the top stars on both shows.

With major focus on Fox and their new deal WWE will have to provide them with top stars to try to get top ratings. The interesting wrinkle here is now Smackdown will be on a totally different network and I would think that Fox wants separate stars on their shows exclusively.

This whole NXT situation will only make things more confusing if WWE starts putting older stars on that show, and starts mixing things up even more.

I understand their mentality wanting to tie up as many people as they can, but they already have 5 hours of live tv a week, and still don't have proper tv time for all of their wrestlers.

Eric Bischoff said he made a list of things to make Nitro different than Raw back in the day. NXT already looks and feels different than Smackdown and Raw, I seriously hope they keep that that way.

Back on topic as far as the draft goes I think championships need to be split up better.

Alexa Bliss
    Dana Brooke
    Naomi
    Natalya
    Nia Jax
    Nikki Cross
    Mickie James
    Ruby Riott
    Sarah Logan
    Sasha Banks
    Tamina
    Asuka
    Bayley
    Becky Lynch
    Billie Kay
    Carmella
    Charlotte
    Ember Moon
    Kairi Sane
    Lana
    Liv Morgan
    Mandy Rose
    Peyton Royce
    Sonya Deville
    Zelina Vega
    Kairi Sane
    Lacey Evans
    Maria Kanellis

That's 28 women.

I get some of them are lower level wrestlers, and some aren't even able to have solid matches, but to me you should be able to have at least 12 singles wrestlers who can. I would combine the main women's titles and have one top title, and make a secondary title equivalent to the IC or US championship belt. The IC belt has history with WWE, why not make the United States Championship which has history in WCW the woman's secondary belt? that way you have 12 top singles on one brand, and have 8 or so tag teams on the other brand. That way you can put focus on building the belts up. Right now it's confusing as hell to have two main women's titles there isn't enough depth to have that. but having talent like Asuka and Kairi Sane together wasting away makes no sense to me. If a wrestler is talented enough to be a singles star I don't get why they don't showcase them.

Another thing I would take the 205 live guys and just put them back on the main rosters, and completely forget about that show. WCW for years showcased Cruiserweights, started of their shows with fast paced lucha style matches that got people pumped from the start. Make Raw more for longer talking segments, and have Smackdown focus more on wrestling. If Smackdown is still only 2 hours bring back Talking Smack have that right after the show and then you can get more talking segments that way, and have it more sports oriented. You really have to make these shows different. Different look, different feel.

Maybe this new Fox deal will make things different, but it's hard to belive in it being different the way they always go back to the well. Bruce Prichard explained in the past that eventually Vince gets bored, and resorts back to the past. He knows deep down at the end of the day he always has the back up plan of putting talent on other shows if injuries pile up, or if ratings start to tank.

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Zero point of them doing this unless it results in the wildcard ending. I’m hopeful that’s the case and it’s a step in the right direction.

i think NXT for sure Will be part of this.
    Last edited by Ed; 09-06-2019 at 08:26 AM.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I think the wildcard rule is coming to an end. NXT potentially being apart of it is interesting. Allows from some NXT people to move up and make room for people going to NXT and the new NXT signees to get chances.

ʕノ•ᴥ•ʔノ ︵ ┻━┻

Status
      Country                    Liechtenstein

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    I think the wildcard rule is coming to an end. NXT potentially being apart of it is interesting. Allows from some NXT people to move up and make room for people going to NXT and the new NXT signees to get chances.
    I dunno... the roster feels already bloated as shit and they simply didn't pull through with the last real split, so why whould they now? Probably just one of those cases in which they pull out a special themed weekly show for the purpose of getting a small instant ratings boost. ...and to "legitimate" change some titles around probably.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baloocha View Post
    I dunno... the roster feels already bloated as shit and they simply didn't pull through with the last real split, so why whould they now? Probably just one of those cases in which they pull out a special themed weekly show for the purpose of getting a small instant ratings boost. ...and to "legitimate" change some titles around probably.
    Well unlike the last draft, they are moving networks after this. That's as big of a reason as any to do some major changes.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

Are we just going to relive WWE '06/'07? Lashley to NXT to be NXT Champion, Roman taking the Batista role on Smackdown, and Seth/Brock taking the Cena role on Raw >:P

But I agree with Necro. Two women's world titles doesn't make sense, especially since the only credible women for it seem to be Becky/Sasha/Charlotte/Bayley and from time to time Alexa and Asuka. I lowered Asuka because of her god awful booking and she has went damn near ghost. A first-ever women's intercontinental title or something would just be so much cooler and a lot more original. Considering the amount of women on the main roster and their access of talent in NXT/NXT UK, there is no reason they should have such an inability booking the women's singles and tag titles.

I also think 205 needs to be disbanded. This is the one time having the WWE Network ended up for the worse because it's just for the extra content. The cruiserweights should've been implemented into Raw, they didn't need a different ring, or a different tron, or different lighting. They should've felt like a natural part of Raw that got to interact with people on the roster normally. Whether they now go to NXT or to Raw, idk, idc.

Status

I have a hard time caring about the idea of a draft because what "rules" they put in place will be null and void and forgotten and never spoken of again in like 2 weeks. Hard to invest when nothing matters or has any real consequence.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Has to be the end of the "wildcard" shit if this is to matter at all. I'm hopeful they're moving in the right direction.

I also think NXT will be involved. I can see maybe Gargano and even Matt Riddle moving on- along with the likes of the Street Profits. I'm really hoping NXT get back the likes of Nakamura. I'd also put the 205 guys on NXT and keep the Cruiserweight Championship.

I wonder what they're going to do with the commentary teams? Hearing that they too will be shuffled around espcially for Raw & Smackdown. Possible we will see the 205 guy, I can't think of his name at the moment move to Raw or Smackdown full time. Hoping they get rid of Renee Young and put her back in her backstage interview role.

Really hoping that visually and the presentation of all the shows is completely different too.

Exciting times, I think.

"LET ME IN.."

Last Real Man Hype

Status

The fuck kind of a name is "draft"? You need something marketable, exciting, something that suggests things are gonna be shaken up with the superstars. Like "The WWE Superstar Shakeathon".

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Status

Surprised that no one actually pitched who should be drafted where so far. Thought for sure this would turn into a full on fantasy drafting. But, thinking about it, it's tough to make draft picks when we really don't know what the rules are the draft are going to be. Will Raw get 3 picks to every 2 picks Smackdown gets like in 2016? Will NXT get draft picks? Is 205 Live going to be dissolved in the near future like some have speculated? I'm mad that WWE isn't giving me the information I need to do a proper fantasy draft.

Oh well. I'm gonna make up my own rules, fuck it. Here's how I'd do the draft. Feel free to not read this as it's probably gonna be quite long.

Rules

- Smackdown gets the first pick, since the draft is kicking off on Smackdown and obviously Fox needs the big star power. We can have a match to determine it or whatever but bottom line is Smackdown gets first pick.
    - Smackdown and Raw get the same number of picks. Just because Raw is 3 hours, I don't really feel like they manage to squeeze more stars on there anyways. Also the roster is big enough that if you split it in half, it's still enough talent to cover like 5 hours anyways.
    - 20 picks for each brand in the Draft. Wrestlers who do not get drafted enter free agency, allowing them to be pursued by any brand, including NXT and 205 Live.
    - Champions from respective brands will automatically be assigned to their brands. So the Raw Tag Team Champions are staying on Raw. The Smackdown Women's Champion is staying on Smackdown. So on and so forth.
    - The 24/7 Champion is available to be drafted, since the title will be able to float between brands, given the nature of the title. Same will go for the Women's Tag Team Championship. The title holders will have a home brand, but will be able to be defended against wrestlers from other brands once they are determined to be the number one contenders.
    - Part-timers such as Undertaker, Triple H, John Cena, Big Show, etc. will not be drafted since none of them are actually actively wrestling. Lesnar, of course, is on the board.
    - NXT and 205 Live will not be involved in the Draft. NXT and 205 get no picks and NXT and 205 superstars are off the table. But they will be able to pursue superstars who aren't drafted through free agency.
    - Tag teams count as one pick.

Draft Picks

Raw Automatically Gets: Universal Champion Seth Rollins, United States Champion AJ Styles, Raw Tag Team Champions Bobby Roode and Dolph Ziggler, Raw Women's Champion Sasha Banks
    Smackdown Automatically Gets: WWE Champion Kofi Kingston, Intercontinental Champion The Miz, Smackdown Tag Team Champions The Revival, Smackdown Women's Champion Charlotte

Pick 1: Brock Lesnar
    Pick 1: Bray Wyatt
    Pick 2: Roman Reigns
    Pick 2: Daniel Bryan
    Pick 3: Becky Lynch
    Pick 3: Kevin Owens
    Pick 4: Randy Orton
    Pick 4: Braun Strowman
    Pick 5: The New Day
    Pick 5: Ricochet
    Pick 6: Alexa Bliss and Nikki Cross
    Pick 6: Bayley
    Pick 7: Elias
    Pick 7: Samoa Joe
    Pick 8: Rowan
    Pick 8: The Usos
    Pick 9: Finn Balor
    Pick 9: Drew McIntyre
    Pick 10: Baron Corbin
    Pick 10: Andrade
    Pick 11: The Viking Raiders
    Pick 11: Mandy Rose and Sonya Deville
    Pick 12: Rey Mysterio
    Pick 12: Shinsuke Nakamura
    Pick 13: Buddy Murphy
    Pick 13: R-Truth
    Pick 14: Bobby Lashley
    Pick 14: Lacey Evans
    Pick 15: Ali
    Pick 15: Chad Gable
    Pick 16: Aleister Black
    Pick 16: Ember Moon
    Pick 17: Heavy Machinery
    Pick 17: Cesaro
    Pick 18: The Kabuki Warriors
    Pick 18: Carmella
    Pick 19: Apollo
    Pick 19: Gallows and Anderson
    Pick 20: The IIconics
    Pick 20: Cedric Alexander

Rosters and Aftermath

So, as mentioned, the terms of the Draft were that any undrafted talents would be able to negotiate with the brands to determine their homes. This is how NXT and 205 Live will be able to get an infusion of new talent. This is how the Smackdown and Raw rosters should finalize, and a look at a few guys who will sign with NXT and 205.

MONDAY NIGHT RAW

AJ Styles
    Andrade
    Bobby Roode
    Braun Strowman
    Bray Wyatt
    Cedric Alexander
    Cesaro
    Chad Gable
    Curt Hawkins
    Daniel Bryan
    Dolph Ziggler
    Drew McIntyre
    Heath Slater
    Jeff Hardy
    Jey Uso
    Jimmy Uso
    Jinder Mahal
    Karl Anderson
    Kevin Owens
    Konnor
    Luke Gallows
    Matt Hardy
    No Way Jose
    Ricochet
    R-Truth
    Rusev
    Samoa Joe
    Seth Rollins
    Shinsuke Nakamura
    Titus O'Neil
    Viktor
    Zack Ryder

Bayley
    Carmella
    Ember Moon
    Lacey Evans
    Lana
    Liv Morgan
    Mandy Rose
    Nia Jax
    Naomi
    Sasha Banks
    Sonya Deville
    Tamina
    Zelina Vega

SMACKDOWN LIVE

Aleister Black
    Ali

Apollo
    Baron Corbin
    Big E
    Bobby Lashley
    Bo Dallas
    Brock Lesnar
    Buddy Murphy
    Curtis Axel
    EC3
    Elias
    Erik
    Finn Balor
    Ivar
    Kofi Kingston
    Lars Sullivan
    The Miz
    Otis
    Randy Orton
    Rey Mysterio
    Roman Reigns
    Rowan
    Scott Dawson
    Sheamus (if cleared)
    Shelton Benjamin

Tucker
    Dash Wilder
    Xavier Woods

Alexa Bliss
    Asuka
    Becky Lynch
    Billie Kay
    Charlotte
    Dana Brooke
    Kairi Sane
    Mickie James
    Natalya
    Nikki Cross
    Peyton Royce
    Ruby Riott
    Sarah Logan

NXT SIGNINGS

Eric Young
    Luke Harper
    Mojo Rawley
    Sami Zayn
    Dana Brooke
    Authors of Pain

205 LIVE SIGNINGS

Lio Rush
    Sin Cara
    The Colons

And so from then on main roster talents can continue to make appearances on NXT on special occasions. NXT superstars can be called up as usual. If/when 205 Live gets the axe, the superstars from there can go through a similar "free agency" phase and be divided between the three brands.

My approach as far as splitting things up was to try and make sure Smackdown got a good injection of big names and good talkers. I feel like they'll need stars who will be highly marketable to appease Fox. Raw on the other hand obviously keeps many of their big hitters, but the midcard as well as the women's division gets an infusion of fresh faces and good workers.

If Ronda Rousey is still in play, I think it goes without saying that she needs to re-debut on Smackdown LIVE.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I have no clue who is one which brand besides the obvious ones like Bryan on SD, Seth on Raw. . But I would go with something like this

SD - Roman Reigns, Brock Lesnar, Braun Strowman, Cesaro

Raw - Bryan, AJ, Rollins, Wyatt

Anyone else is up in the air

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    I have no clue who is one which brand besides the obvious ones like Bryan on SD, Seth on Raw. . But I would go with something like this

SD - Roman Reigns, Brock Lesnar, Braun Strowman, Cesaro

Raw - Bryan, AJ, Rollins, Wyatt

Anyone else is up in the air
    Well you don't really need to know who is on what brand to be fair. It's not like the Shakeup where people only jump brands. The Draft means you basically start with a blank slate and pick the roster from scratch.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

The question is tho, who does the drafts? Shane/Steph? We haven't seen Steph in forever.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    The question is tho, who does the drafts? Shane/Steph? We haven't seen Steph in forever.
    Well, no one's ever replaced Shane and Stephanie. So even if they aren't on TV playing their roles doesn't mean they don't still have them. So yeah, Shane and Stephanie can still do the drafting.

Relentless Admin

Status

Hadn’t thought about who would be doing the drafting. Steph and Shane makes sense but maybe we will get new GMs.

I have to say EC, I’d be absolutely amazed if they put Seth and Becky on different brands.

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

I’d love it to be Bischoff & Heyman tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Hadn’t thought about who would be doing the drafting. Steph and Shane makes sense but maybe we will get new GMs.

I have to say EC, I’d be absolutely amazed if they put Seth and Becky on different brands.
    Very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Booty Love View Post
    I’d love it to be Bischoff & Heyman tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I would definitely be down for that.

Hail To The King

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Surprised that no one actually pitched who should be drafted where so far. Thought for sure this would turn into a full on fantasy drafting. But, thinking about it, it's tough to make draft picks when we really don't know what the rules are the draft are going to be. Will Raw get 3 picks to every 2 picks Smackdown gets like in 2016? Will NXT get draft picks? Is 205 Live going to be dissolved in the near future like some have speculated? I'm mad that WWE isn't giving me the information I need to do a proper fantasy draft.

Oh well. I'm gonna make up my own rules, fuck it. Here's how I'd do the draft. Feel free to not read this as it's probably gonna be quite long.

Rules

- Smackdown gets the first pick, since the draft is kicking off on Smackdown and obviously Fox needs the big star power. We can have a match to determine it or whatever but bottom line is Smackdown gets first pick.
    - Smackdown and Raw get the same number of picks. Just because Raw is 3 hours, I don't really feel like they manage to squeeze more stars on there anyways. Also the roster is big enough that if you split it in half, it's still enough talent to cover like 5 hours anyways.
    - 20 picks for each brand in the Draft. Wrestlers who do not get drafted enter free agency, allowing them to be pursued by any brand, including NXT and 205 Live.
    - Champions from respective brands will automatically be assigned to their brands. So the Raw Tag Team Champions are staying on Raw. The Smackdown Women's Champion is staying on Smackdown. So on and so forth.
    - The 24/7 Champion is available to be drafted, since the title will be able to float between brands, given the nature of the title. Same will go for the Women's Tag Team Championship. The title holders will have a home brand, but will be able to be defended against wrestlers from other brands once they are determined to be the number one contenders.
    - Part-timers such as Undertaker, Triple H, John Cena, Big Show, etc. will not be drafted since none of them are actually actively wrestling. Lesnar, of course, is on the board.
    - NXT and 205 Live will not be involved in the Draft. NXT and 205 get no picks and NXT and 205 superstars are off the table. But they will be able to pursue superstars who aren't drafted through free agency.
    - Tag teams count as one pick.

Draft Picks

Raw Automatically Gets: Universal Champion Seth Rollins, United States Champion AJ Styles, Raw Tag Team Champions Bobby Roode and Dolph Ziggler, Raw Women's Champion Sasha Banks
    Smackdown Automatically Gets: WWE Champion Kofi Kingston, Intercontinental Champion The Miz, Smackdown Tag Team Champions The Revival, Smackdown Women's Champion Charlotte

Pick 1: Brock Lesnar
    Pick 1: Bray Wyatt
    Pick 2: Roman Reigns
    Pick 2: Daniel Bryan
    Pick 3: Becky Lynch
    Pick 3: Kevin Owens
    Pick 4: Randy Orton
    Pick 4: Braun Strowman
    Pick 5: The New Day
    Pick 5: Ricochet
    Pick 6: Alexa Bliss and Nikki Cross
    Pick 6: Bayley
    Pick 7: Elias
    Pick 7: Samoa Joe
    Pick 8: Rowan
    Pick 8: The Usos
    Pick 9: Finn Balor
    Pick 9: Drew McIntyre
    Pick 10: Baron Corbin
    Pick 10: Andrade
    Pick 11: The Viking Raiders
    Pick 11: Mandy Rose and Sonya Deville
    Pick 12: Rey Mysterio
    Pick 12: Shinsuke Nakamura
    Pick 13: Buddy Murphy
    Pick 13: R-Truth
    Pick 14: Bobby Lashley
    Pick 14: Lacey Evans
    Pick 15: Ali
    Pick 15: Chad Gable
    Pick 16: Aleister Black
    Pick 16: Ember Moon
    Pick 17: Heavy Machinery
    Pick 17: Cesaro
    Pick 18: The Kabuki Warriors
    Pick 18: Carmella
    Pick 19: Apollo
    Pick 19: Gallows and Anderson
    Pick 20: The IIconics
    Pick 20: Cedric Alexander

Rosters and Aftermath

So, as mentioned, the terms of the Draft were that any undrafted talents would be able to negotiate with the brands to determine their homes. This is how NXT and 205 Live will be able to get an infusion of new talent. This is how the Smackdown and Raw rosters should finalize, and a look at a few guys who will sign with NXT and 205.

MONDAY NIGHT RAW

AJ Styles
    Andrade
    Bobby Roode
    Braun Strowman
    Bray Wyatt
    Cedric Alexander
    Cesaro
    Chad Gable
    Curt Hawkins
    Daniel Bryan
    Dolph Ziggler
    Drew McIntyre
    Heath Slater
    Jeff Hardy
    Jey Uso
    Jimmy Uso
    Jinder Mahal
    Karl Anderson
    Kevin Owens
    Konnor
    Luke Gallows
    Matt Hardy
    No Way Jose
    Ricochet
    R-Truth
    Rusev
    Samoa Joe
    Seth Rollins
    Shinsuke Nakamura
    Titus O'Neil
    Viktor
    Zack Ryder

Bayley
    Carmella
    Ember Moon
    Lacey Evans
    Lana
    Liv Morgan
    Mandy Rose
    Nia Jax
    Naomi
    Sasha Banks
    Sonya Deville
    Tamina
    Zelina Vega

SMACKDOWN LIVE

Aleister Black
    Ali

Apollo
    Baron Corbin
    Big E
    Bobby Lashley
    Bo Dallas
    Brock Lesnar
    Buddy Murphy
    Curtis Axel
    EC3
    Elias
    Erik
    Finn Balor
    Ivar
    Kofi Kingston
    Lars Sullivan
    The Miz
    Otis
    Randy Orton
    Rey Mysterio
    Roman Reigns
    Rowan
    Scott Dawson
    Sheamus (if cleared)
    Shelton Benjamin

Tucker
    Dash Wilder
    Xavier Woods

Alexa Bliss
    Asuka
    Becky Lynch
    Billie Kay
    Charlotte
    Dana Brooke
    Kairi Sane
    Mickie James
    Natalya
    Nikki Cross
    Peyton Royce
    Ruby Riott
    Sarah Logan

NXT SIGNINGS

Eric Young
    Luke Harper
    Mojo Rawley
    Sami Zayn
    Dana Brooke
    Authors of Pain

205 LIVE SIGNINGS

Lio Rush
    Sin Cara
    The Colons

And so from then on main roster talents can continue to make appearances on NXT on special occasions. NXT superstars can be called up as usual. If/when 205 Live gets the axe, the superstars from there can go through a similar "free agency" phase and be divided between the three brands.

My approach as far as splitting things up was to try and make sure Smackdown got a good injection of big names and good talkers. I feel like they'll need stars who will be highly marketable to appease Fox. Raw on the other hand obviously keeps many of their big hitters, but the midcard as well as the women's division gets an infusion of fresh faces and good workers.

If Ronda Rousey is still in play, I think it goes without saying that she needs to re-debut on Smackdown LIVE.
    Lio Rush is still in wwe?

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Lio Rush is still in wwe?
    Technically, yes. He's just been off TV for ruffling feathers, I believe. Sending him to 205 Live could be viewed as a punishment, or a way of getting him back on the right track, depending on how he'd take it.

Of course if he is pulling a Neville and refusing to return then can that idea entirely. I would just personally try to get him on 205 to boost the star power and maybe give him a run with the belt to see how he does in a semi-important position

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information