Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 NFL Season Discussion (100th Year Special!)

Cardcaptor

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: 2019 NFL Season Discussion (100th Year Special!)

I agree, was an odd choice. Sure, oldest rivalry...But Cardinals are way older as a team, so they would have been okay. Pats/Steelers is a huge game, and Pats are reigning champs.
    Everything will surely be alright.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

First off, a big thanks to Sakura for starting up what will hopefully be another spirited discussion for the season. You may be the only Cowboys fan I can stand.

The game tonight was a little lame, but at least the Pack won, and for that I’ll be thankful.

The AB situation is unfortunately expected, yet also wonderfully laughable.

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Tom Hanks Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    First off, a big thanks to Sakura for starting up what will hopefully be another spirited discussion for the season. You may be the only Cowboys fan I can stand.

The game tonight was a little lame, but at least the Pack won, and for that I’ll be thankful.

The AB situation is unfortunately expected, yet also wonderfully laughable.

Hey we aren't ALL terrible.

And yeah....AB is who he is. I really don't know what Raiders expected.

Bears need to make some big moves on offense if they want to go anywhere.

Status

In what world is Packers/Bears not a marquee enough matchup to open the season? I thought it was tremendously fitting that in the NFL's 100th season its oldest rivalry opens things up and it's not like both teams are duds. The Bears are coming off a huge season and though the Packers were disappointing last year they still have one of the greatest players of all time under center and at worst the second biggest fanbase in the NFL. That alone guarantees some nice numbers for them.

The only downside is that the 200th Packers/Bears game is the second time they'll play this year so there was no way to make that particular game the opener. That one has unfortunately been subjected to a day game in December since they probably don't want to do the same matchup in primetime twice. Still better than putting the fucking Cardinals in the opener

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Cardcaptor

Status

I mean, as a huge fan of one of those teams, obviously it will be huge to you.

Sure, neither teams are duds. Old rivalry. But do you really think the average NFL fan outside of those two fanbases is just totally thrilled at the matchup?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    I mean, as a huge fan of one of those teams, obviously it will be huge to you.

Sure, neither teams are duds. Old rivalry. But do you really think the average NFL fan outside of those two fanbases is just totally thrilled at the matchup?
    I think the average NFL fan is only "totally thrilled" by games involving their team.

If the game had been as exciting as last year's y'all wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Status

I very very much want the Raiders to cut Brown, have him grieve it, win (because its the Raiders) and then they have to pay him a shit-ton of money and take a massive cap hit. Because the Raiders do dumb shit and consequences of dumb shit are fun to watch. Its nice to remember that they traded away the best defensive player in the NFL for little return because they "couldn't afford him", but they gave a massive contract to someone with a bit of a history of conflict and its utterly blown up on them. The team is like a reality show dumpster fire until itself.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Cardcaptor

Status

I remember not long ago a small amount of people still were convinced that Raiders would have success due to amount of draft picks and having Jon Gruden at the helm.

Hail To The King

Status

[QUOTE=Sakura;2104003395]I remember not long ago a small amount of people still were convinced that Raiders would have success due to amount of draft picks and having Jon Gruden at the helm.[/QUOTE

Gruden was a good coach but the offense he ran compared to the old bucs and raiders teams need to be updated.

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Cardcaptor

Status

Gruden is an average coach with bad tendencies, who also has had the majority of his success and accolades from teams built by other coaches who are far better, like Dungy.

He also is completely dated and not getting how the modern NFL works, and not adjusting to such.

That being said, even if he was a great coach, it's not enough. When your ownership and management is a total dumpster fire, drafting is terrible, and you trade away your best players.....Yeah.

Hail To The King

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    Gruden is an average coach with bad tendencies, who also has had the majority of his success and accolades from teams built by other coaches who are far better, like Dungy.

He also is completely dated and not getting how the modern NFL works, and not adjusting to such.

That being said, even if he was a great coach, it's not enough. When your ownership and management is a total dumpster fire, drafting is terrible, and you trade away your best players.....Yeah.
    Mayock is not a bad GM hes good balls of steel lol

Spoiler:

Brayden Bridges

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Strictly speaking about Tampa Bay, the idea that you’d be able to use them as proof of Gruden being a good coach is laughable at best. He inherited the team from a better coach and then used them to beat the team he used to coach in the Super Bowl. That doesn’t make him good. Shrewd, perhaps, but not good.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Tom Hanks Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Mayock is not a bad GM hes good balls of steel lol
    "not bad" based on what success so far? Balls doesn't make you a good GM. Drafting success, good signings, maximizing resources, and assembling a talented, coherent squad does. and it doesn't seem like Mayock has had time to do any of that, let alone succeed in it. He might be great... but he's a left-field hire that has more to prove than most new GMs.

and agree with Fuji - the Super Bowl by Gruden is one of the most situational victories ever from a coach perspective. He was good to very good back in the day. But a lot of coaches don't age well, and 15 years outside of coaching is hardly a small thing. I've seen zero signs he will be an average NFL coach for this era, let alone an above average one.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Hail To The King

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    "not bad" based on what success so far? Balls doesn't make you a good GM. Drafting success, good signings, maximizing resources, and assembling a talented, coherent squad does. and it doesn't seem like Mayock has had time to do any of that, let alone succeed in it. He might be great... but he's a left-field hire that has more to prove than most new GMs.

and agree with Fuji - the Super Bowl by Gruden is one of the most situational victories ever from a coach perspective. He was good to very good back in the day. But a lot of coaches don't age well, and 15 years outside of coaching is hardly a small thing. I've seen zero signs he will be an average NFL coach for this era, let alone an above average one.
    I like Mayock its not like he doesn't know how to draft . He's only been on NFL Network for how many years scouting and things like that and it seems to me he's handling the AB situation as good as anyone can. He bought low in the trade to get AB which if AB could focus he be a top WR in league but he can't I mean it wasn't him who traded away Mack or Cooper I am sure he would of wanted both. I mean He drafted Three guys in the first that should be very good talents especially Jacobs Clien may have been a reach but, of he pans out no one is gonna complain. If he can void AB contract and release him its not like they lose that much and they get the money back. Again I am talking bout his time as GM.

Spoiler:

Brayden Bridges

Status

There is literally no way to grade Mayock as a GM yet. He's been on the job for like six months and we've never seen his roster put onto a field in a meaningful game.

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Hail To The King

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    There is literally no way to grade Mayock as a GM yet. He's been on the job for like six months and we've never seen his roster put onto a field in a meaningful game.
    But we do know he can scout talent... or else he wouldn't been given the job. Raiders know he can draft and that is going to be the biggest thing for the Raiders to ever get any better.

Spoiler:

Brayden Bridges

Status

I like Mayock its not like he doesn't know how to draft . He's only been on NFL Network for how many years scouting and things like that and it seems to me he's handling the AB situation as good as anyone can. He bought low in the trade to get AB which if AB could focus he be a top WR in league but he can't I mean it wasn't him who traded away Mack or Cooper I am sure he would of wanted both. I mean He drafted Three guys in the first that should be very good talents especially Jacobs Clien may have been a reach but, of he pans out no one is gonna complain. If he can void AB contract and release him its not like they lose that much and they get the money back. Again I am talking bout his time as GM.
    I'm not saying he's a bad GM. I'm not saying he's a good GM. There just isn't data to go on yet.

Rating draft picks now is only a little bit better than giving post-draft grades.

Being an outside analyst doesn't automatically make you cut out to do the job. Being an analyst and being a coach or GM might look at almost the same things, but it becomes a different process. Its one thing to point out that a player interviewed poorly and that means teams have graded him lower, and its another to assess the interview that YOUR team gave him, how poorly he did, and whether you feel that should impact your grade on him. Assessing the talent is only part of the battle... determining how best fills your needs and fits your squad. If it was as easy as assessing talent, there wouldn't be so many busts and analysts would be better at predicting how things unfold.

If it was going to be an automatic transition, we would see this happen regularly in other the NFL and other sports. Its an outside shot of it working, which is why teams tend to promote those who have the internal background, whether its their own team or other teams.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Hail To The King

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    I'm not saying he's a bad GM. I'm not saying he's a good GM. There just isn't data to go on yet.

Rating draft picks now is only a little bit better than giving post-draft grades.

Being an outside analyst doesn't automatically make you cut out to do the job. Being an analyst and being a coach or GM might look at almost the same things, but it becomes a different process. Its one thing to point out that a player interviewed poorly and that means teams have graded him lower, and its another to assess the interview that YOUR team gave him, how poorly he did, and whether you feel that should impact your grade on him. Assessing the talent is only part of the battle... determining how best fills your needs and fits your squad. If it was as easy as assessing talent, there wouldn't be so many busts and analysts would be better at predicting how things unfold.

If it was going to be an automatic transition, we would see this happen regularly in other the NFL and other sports. Its an outside shot of it working, which is why teams tend to promote those who have the internal background, whether its their own team or other teams.
    I mean John Lynch is a GM
    Louis Reddick was up for a GM job
    Todd McShay was up for a GM job too.

So its not like Mayock doesn't know as much as those guys teams are gonna be willing to try this because they are able to evaluate young talent which is the backbone for any long term success in the NFL.

Spoiler:

Brayden Bridges

Status

But we do know he can scout talent... or else he wouldn't been given the job.
    I guess every GM is good or they wouldn't have gotten their job.

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

Status

I mean John Lynch is a GM
    Louis Reddick was up for a GM job
    Todd McShay was up for a GM job too.

So its not like Mayock doesn't know as much as those guys teams are gonna be willing to try this because they are able to evaluate young talent which is the backbone for any long term success in the NFL.
    None of those relate directly to whether Mayock is already a good GM, though, do they? Whether they were considered or hired, each is a different situation.

John Lynch is a former player and was hired by an awful owner who doesn't actually care about winning because Lynch was the cheapest option by a mile. also hadn't proven himself to be adequate at the job.

Louis Reddick if a former player, pro scout, and director of player personnel with two teams. He would have been looking at a GM role if he didn't move over to broadcasting.

Todd McShay worked was never a player. but he worked for a scouting company that ESPN bought out.

There is no single path to being a GM. No background makes it certain a GM will succeed. Promoting from within is the standard method and far from foolproof. And I'm honestly critical of the NFL of being unwilling to try new things. I'm not cheerleading for Mayock to fail or anything. And I'm not disagreeing that as an analyst, he can scout. Obviously the Raiders front office thought he would do a fine job.... but those are true of literally anyone who is put in the GM position (except maybe John Lynch). Owners, team presidents, however makes the hire decision... they make the decision because they believe the man (since its always a male) they have hired will do fantastic and knows what they are doing, when that often turns out to be incorrect.

As Silk and I have said, there is basically nothing to assess based on yet. He got a problem player for a bargain because no one else wanted him, and that looks to have turned out to be an awful decision that may not end up costing the team much beyond the picks.... or it might cost them millions. At the very least, it doesn't say much for how competent the Raiders front office looks.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread Information