Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fight Night Promo Discussion Thread 09/06/19

HOSS MOD

Status

Re: Fight Night Promo Discussion Thread 09/06/19

Quote Originally Posted by Sayer View Post
    Lol.

In all seriousness though, another outstanding promo from you this week. You should be honored that everyone feels like they have to push theirselves to the next level to compete with you. I still feel like you have this one, but Im just glad I was able to seemingly make it close.
    Thanks, man. Great return promo from Garcia. Be curious to see how far he can go this run.

MERHABALAR AQ

Status
      Country                    Turkey

CCC: This was a good read. The setting was clear, a funeral for Maravilloso's is what it looks like. I think CCC are gimmick-wise the current equivalent of SCV, or at least the most similiar team to SCV. SCV was never strictly limited to its own mythos in my promos, but I can tell you're trying to limit them to Alice in Wonderland, and that's fine. But I think you can do more with that than mainly monologue about how they were rejected from society and how they are going to take revenge. You can explore the setting more. You can always ask some questions to yourself about the setting that you can answer in your promos. What can be found in The Dark Forest? What inhabits it? Are there any characters you would like to use from the mythos just like Mad Hatter or Queen of Hearts? Can those be a foil to your Cheshire Cat, who I think it's a god to your characters? Can you compare the creatures in The Dark Forest to FWA wrestlers? Stuff like that can greatly improve your storytelling and make your promos more diverse. At least that's what I would try if I had a trio based on Alice in Wonderland mythos.

Gabrielle: I think this promo perfectly captured the situation Gabrielle found herself in after the events of the last two weeks. She's the perfect third-party between FWA supremacists and CWA folks. We know what Gabrielle's problem is, we know what drives Gabrielle, we know her stance. The battlefield setting is also fitting in my opinion, and the thing I liked the most about this promo, because battlefield is what it is at this point. I'm not sure my words adds anything to this promo, but I like it as most of your promos, and I think the best is still yet to come from Gabby, especially in this storyline.

Michael Garcia: Good to see Garcia back in business, Sayer. Welcome back. First of all, I love the fact that one of your examples when describing hero-villain is Iago-Othello since Othello is my fav Shakespeare work and Iago is my fav Shakespeare character. I don't think there's anything to talk about with Garcia's family and personal life. But the villain-hero dynamic is classic and not a cliche despite being done a lot of times before. Peter and Hook is a good example for Cyrus and Garcia. I think it's one of the better-known settings in which the hero is not always heroic and can be intrepreted as the villain. You said everything it needed to be said about it, I loved everything about it, FWA being Neverland, the quote at the beginning perfectly fitting into what you were going for, titles being treasure and you even brought Tinkerbell into this, who is a goddamn sociopath if you look at it carefully. :D Michael is very motivated and hard-hitting in this and I think you have a good chance of victory this week, even if you don't, you will be a very strong contender in the near future.
    Worker bees can leave.
    Even drones can fly away.
    The Queen is their slave.

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

Thank you so much, Hermes. Kind words are much appreciated. I shall return the favor with a review after I get my FN stuff written and Grades done.

For the record, I graded Garcia/Cyrus at 80-0.

I kid, I kid. We dont grade our own matches.

Backyarder

Status
      Country                    England

I have read these promos and I am so not looking forward to getting into this!!! I reckon ill be rubbish

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

Not to worry, bruh, you'll be fine. We usually start you out with some softballs. You may be in the Carnal Contendership match soon, but aside from that, we start ya out easy.

Striving for a B+ in life

Status
      Country                    United States

Wanted to give a shoutout to a few people:
    The Nova Diamond promo was awesome.
    That was the best Sterling Jagger promo I've ever read.
    The Jason Randall promo was a step forward in terms of creativity and character development. I love the idea of someone "addicted to wrestling, win or lose." I don't know how high the ceiling is for that character BUT or how much development is there, BUT it's still something to grab and I liked it a lot.
    Cyrus-Garcia and Sullivan-Parr is the best combination of matches on a Fight Night from a promo standpoint since I returned to modship.
    The Cyrus Truth promo is one of the best I've read in a long, long time, and that includes last week's Parr and Gabrielle promos.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

Im not that good people. QUIT BRINGING YOUR BEST TO ME. plzkthx.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sayer View Post
    Im not that good people. QUIT BRINGING YOUR BEST TO ME. plzkthx.
    It's hell, being the King.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Nova Diamond: Simple but really effective. You've got a great handle on who the character is and what drives him and motivates him. That's the big constant throughout this promo; his ego and his need to stoke it and make sure everyone else knows he's the greatest. I really enjoyed the paragraph about PAJ, and who he was and how Nova is the better version of that. It was a nice way to set the tone for the next part of the promo. It was a really well done bridge between setting the scene and establishing the Nova character in this scene, and then moving onto going in on Viktor. And from that I loved the part about Nova picking up PAJ's "work" and setting Viktor free. Its a very bold and grand statement. I also loved how you inject moments of a stereotypical Englishman, but the way its done it feels like its mocking everyone else. I cant think of the right words but its like Nova is teasing any people who fixate on him being English and think of those stereotypes, there's just something about the way they're written, and the way Nova "voices" it.

There's a solid group of people in the FWA right now closing in on the World Title, and I'm not just talking about the story line being run. The Parr's and Sullivans, and you're right there as well. The big thing you have, like they do is a defined voice for the character. Defined characteristics, and a defined style to the way the character talks and acts.

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One View Post
    The Nova Diamond promo was awesome.
    That was the best Sterling Jagger promo I've ever read.
    The Jason Randall promo was a step forward in terms of creativity and character development. I love the idea of someone "addicted to wrestling, win or lose." I don't know how high the ceiling is for that character BUT or how much development is there, BUT it's still something to grab and I liked it a lot.
    Cyrus-Garcia and Sullivan-Parr is the best combination of matches on a Fight Night from a promo standpoint since I returned to modship.
    The Cyrus Truth promo is one of the best I've read in a long, long time, and that includes last week's Parr and Gabrielle promos.

I think its a great bridge, or short term angle to run. It can lead somewhere, to maybe Jason's love for Wrestling being tested, and where that leads and evolves the character.
    Last edited by ETE; 09-10-2019 at 10:00 AM.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Sorry I've been so flaky... my courses are over got my certification so I'll legit have time to promo going forward.

Fearless University

Status

Mike Parr: The first thing I have to say is this was wonderfully written. Nothing really became clunky or awkward, which can happen easily when writing promos as we might try and squeeze to many details in here and there. Just everything flowed together really well from beginning to end. It was ultimately a very simple setting, nothing outlandish or grand, but it worked very well. Especially in regards to expanding and humanising the Mike Parr character more. Taking him from being an arrogant and successful Pro Wrestler, to an arrogant and successful man who is a Pro Wrestler. And I liked the contrast between the two halves of the promo as it were. Seeing a more "real" for lack of a better word side of Mike, one that set everything he was going to say later on, and then getting into the pure Pro Wrestling side of things. I really enjoyed your take on the CWA/FWA stuff here, looking through it all and seeing illusions and distractions, seeing a corporate machine focusing the spotlight not on Mike Parr. This was a promo that built on Mike beating Cyrus and doing what he always knew he could do. It started off all about who Sullivan thinks he is, and became about what Mike wants to be, and did so very smoothly.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyesnsane View Post
    Sorry I've been so flaky... my courses are over got my certification so I'll legit have time to promo going forward.
    Thats good to hear man.

Fearless University

Status

Jason Randall: Similar to Jaggers promo I liked the embrace of a human element, I liked seeing Jasons current run of from weighing on his mind and affecting the character. It can be easy to ignore that and write a superhuman character, but there's "fun" in embracing the flaws, and losses and building from that. As I said previously in this thread if this is a direction/angle you'll be taking the character it can lead to big things. Seeing this side of the character and seeing that he's still addicted to what he does but the losses are piling up, that can really evolve the character if that's where you're going. The main thing this promo did, was make me excited to see what you do next, where this leads him. Where this mentality, and this openness to admit he's addicted to what he does takes him in the future. I really enjoyed the similarities you drew upon between Eyesnsane and Randall as well, they are two characters that have so much potential, but just haven't quite got there yet.

Fearless University

Status

Chesire Cat Clan: Maybe its just me, but I always read these CCC promos with a haunting musical style to them in my head. I think its just the characters style sort of plays into that a bit. I think you have a very strong "voice" for them, in that its easy to picture them.

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

The results will go up today. Thanks all for waiting.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information