Thread: Breaking News: Ty Johnson released from prison after appeal is granted

Status
      Country                    United States

Breaking News: Ty Johnson released from prison after appeal is granted

(Ty Johnson exiting the courthouse in August 2019 following appeal hearing)

In July last year, Ty Johnson was arrested after having 100 pounds of cocaine discovered in his Oklahoma City hotel room. Police came into Johnson's hotel room the morning of July 4th, and arrested the Superstar hours before the go home Fight Night show. This event took Johnson off the card for Back in Business, where his mentor Dave Sullivan filled in to capture the X Championship for the record breaking fourth time.

While Sullivan was reclaiming his glory, his protege Ty Johnson was being convicted for possession of narcotics. The suitcase that was seized in Johnson's hotel room contained 38 small brick-like packages of cocaine.

Now, over one year later, Ty Johnson has won his appeal in the Oklahoma State Supreme Court, and is expected to be released from prison by the end of the month.

Johnson's attorneys argued in court that the search of his hotel room on July 4th, 2018 was a violation of his fourth amendment rights. Police obtained the search warrant to search Johnson's hotel room based solely on an anonymous tip. Johnson's attorneys argued however, that in accordance to the precedent set by Navarette v. California, a search and seizure cannot be conducted on the basis of an anonymous tip alone. The state district attorney argued that the police acted in fear that evidence would soon be destroyed, which is a commonly used exception to the constitutional rights the fourth amendment provides.

The state district attorney also argued that police had the right to search Johnson's hotel room, as the room is owned by the Hotel and not Johnson. Johnson's attorneys countered by bringing up Stoner v California (1964), which determined guests in a hotel have a reasonable expectation of privacy, and a legal search warrant needs to be obtained before a search is permitted. Because the search warrant the officers obtained based solely on the anonymous tip was deemed unconstitutional, the search the officers did solely on the permission of the hotel manager was also deemed unconstitutional.

The Oklahoma State Supreme Court ruled in favor of Tyrone Johnson this morning, 5-2. Justice Yvonne Kauger and Justice James R. Winchester were the only dissenting votes. The State Justices then ordered that Tyrone Johnson must be released from their custody by September 1st, 2019.

It is unknown what Ty Johnson's status will be in regards to wrestling in the FWA. He was quoted upon leaving the courthouse during his trial last September, saying "If I ever get out, I'm done with the FWA. I aint going anywhere near that Dave Sullivan piece of trash. I aint messing with that again. It's ruined my life. I just wanna go home man. I just wanna go to Paterson".

Now that Johnson is officially set to be released however, many have to wonder if he will change his tune in regards to Sullivan. Many have speculated that Johnson' going to prison was a planned betrayal by his mentor Dave Sullivan. Since Ty has gone to prison, "King" Dave Sullivan has took the FWA by storm, capturing two championship titles and knocking on the door for his long coveted FWA World Championship opportunity. Sullivan has gone 15-1 since his protege Johnson has gone to prison. He has benefited most from Ty Johnson going away.

Dave Sullivan was asked by our reporters to comment on Johnson's overturned conviction, but Sullivan refused to comment.

But now that Johnson is out of prison the question remains open, will he return and exact revenge on Dave Sullivan? Or will he stick to his word, and stay away from Sullivan and the FWA? Time will soon tell.

Copyright 2019 by FWA.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed..

MERHABALAR AQ

Status
      Country                    Turkey

Re: Breaking News: Ty Johnson released from prison after appeal is granted

After all that title defences, Sully decided the only person who could beat him...is Sully.
    Worker bees can leave.
    Even drones can fly away.
    The Queen is their slave.

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    After all that title defences, Sully decided the only person who could beat him...is Sully.
    Don't expect anything like this at present time. As of this time I do not plan on returning Ty Johnson as a character.

My main focus is on Dave Sullivan and progressing story for the time being.

Ty Johnson however isn't completely written off, and I do plan on using him in some capacity in the long far away future. Potentially in a tag team, or maybe even as a host of a reality TV show? Who knows.

But right now my only focus is Dave Sullivan.

God of Destruction

Status
      Country                    Slovak Republic

Looking forward to this
    "You only need to hang mean bastards, but mean bastards you need to hang."

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Im not familiar with Ty at all, but i'm interested to see where/when you go with this.

Thread Information