Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Total Extreme Wrestling 2020

Status

Total Extreme Wrestling 2020

There is a new edition coming of the premier wrestling booking text simulator on the market!

Beta Release Date: April 23, 2020
    Full Release Date: April 30, 2020

FAQ

What the fuck is this game?

How kind of you to ask. Its a text-based wrestling booking simulator, like I said. The wrestling version of Football Manager. A much deeper version of WWE2K's Universe Mode. A heavily updated version of EWR. Its actually the same develop (Adam Ryland) who did EWR almost 20 years ago.

Essentially, you run a wrestling company. You can be the owner or the booker. You book the shows. You hire the talent. You fire the talent. You manage the personalities. You choose the stories to tell, pick the gimmicks, and everything else.

So what has changed?

As with every new version of TEW, a TON. I am far too lazy to list them all, so here are a few:

-resized game. Still not full-screen but 1366x768, which is the same as WMMA5 and makes far better use of most monitors.
    -can play as child companies
    -revamped schedules
    -company products redesigned and simplified
    -gimmicks simplified

Does the game still come with a bunch of fake companies and wrestlers?

Yes. The default data is the CornellVerse, a fictional game world and its for licensing reasons.

Can I play "real'" wrestling in the game?

Yes, but probably not right from launch day. There are databases available - called mods - that cover different real world periods. From historical ones to current day mods. There is quite a variety for TEW 2016. Most of those will be getting updated, but it may take the modders some time get that done. Converting a mod from 2016 to 2020 is very quick but optimizing it for the new features takes time.

I have other questions....

Then ask!
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: Total Extreme Wrestling 2020

Big hype for this one. Working from home is going to let me sink TONS of hrs into it. Im thinking Ill give either a big American or a big Japanese company a shot for the beta and start a road to glory as soon as full release hits.

Banking on making a WWE-esque (not product wise but size + dev + imperialistic wise) company with the RTG and finally going the full length with it.

This already fell short of my big need feature wise (FM-style multiplayer) and even with all the announced features, I can already tell theres a shitton else I wouldve wanted added or changed (a real calendar to pick an easy & cheap one) but there's no real alternative to TEW. I'm probably too harsh on Adam & TEW but I cant help seeing the potential of a wrestling sim and feeling like it falls way too short. Unfortunately the audience is too niche for it to ever grow as much as I'd like it to.

Even so, Im sure I'll sink a few hundred hrs into this one. I hope it feels more rewarding to play than its predecessor tho.

Status

I'll bite my tongue a bit on plans, but I'm thinking its going to be Black Canvas Grappling, Burning Hammer, or TCW. Smaller companies might interest me on TEW 2020 than they have in the past.

I know what you mean about potential, but I think a big factor in that regard its is a single-developer game. That's always going to be a factor on how expansive things can be an how much they can evolve, because while Adam puts a ton of time into each version, there is quite literally al limit on how many hours one person can put into any project. But its not really a big enough fan base for a multi-developer series either. The calendar stuff I think is still linked to the programming language, same as the lack of adjustable screen size.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Backyarder

Status
      Country                    England

I was pretty late to the series, only discovering it in 2016 a couple of months before TEW 2016 was released. I downloaded the demo and needless to say I was hooked. I dread to think how many hours I sank into ‘16!

Being a technophobe I don’t really know what I’m doing regarding mods, so I’ve stuck to the c-verse almost exclusively. Had some really good saves with SWF and BCG, but my favourite company to book is PGHW. Now the tournament tracker feature is in the game I’ll jump straight in and have a test run of the Elite Series to see how it works. Not sure what the canon way to book it is but I use it as my G1 round robin style.

Looking forward to this dropping!

All About That Ace

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    I'll bite my tongue a bit on plans, but I'm thinking its going to be Black Canvas Grappling, Burning Hammer, or TCW. Smaller companies might interest me on TEW 2020 than they have in the past.

I know what you mean about potential, but I think a big factor in that regard its is a single-developer game. That's always going to be a factor on how expansive things can be an how much they can evolve, because while Adam puts a ton of time into each version, there is quite literally al limit on how many hours one person can put into any project. But its not really a big enough fan base for a multi-developer series either. The calendar stuff I think is still linked to the programming language, same as the lack of adjustable screen size.
    I definitely understand Adam's predicament but I also feel theres a certain element of rigidity in the development process that prevents it from being as good as it could be. For example, opening up the modding process to the gameplay itself and letting players actively improve every facet of TEW. Perhaps tackling a different form of development where the game is being improved and actively developped continuously (a la Dwarf Fortress) as opposed to released every few years. Im certainly not saying I know how to do Adam's job or that he has it easy and is being wholeheartedly negligent, I just think that plenty of single-developer games have found better ways to bring the best out of their projects while meeting their respective ambitions for it.

Yeah the calendar stuff is for sure linked to the programming language, as well as the adjustable screen size. I fully understand, but I cant deny my disappointment. The inability to move on to a programming language that might enable him to provide a better game (at the cost of money & time he probably judges not worth investing) makes me want to see someone else try their hands at the wrestling sim game.

BCG & TCW are definitely companies that are going to warrant some gametime for me once its fully out. I'd say BHOTWG & USPW would be likely candidates for the beta for me. Really excited to see how Torii & Funakoshi & Taku & such are doing.

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

Sweet. I've sunk a good couple of thousand of hours into both the 2013 & 2016 editions, though I probably have trouble committing to an idea for more than a month...

Still, though. I imagine I'll be going over the new workers in an official 'build a company around newbies' idea, or trying some low-level Australian company stuff. Idk. I'll work it out when I get there, but this'll likely be a week-one buy for me.

Spoiler:

I'm not good at signatures.

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

Im just glad I can play as NXT now and still be w/wwe

I also cant wait for the mods too. I will be honest though I been playing tew 05 only so it will be a huge advence for me

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    ​Brayden Bridges

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Gilo View Post
    I was pretty late to the series, only discovering it in 2016 a couple of months before TEW 2016 was released. I downloaded the demo and needless to say I was hooked. I dread to think how many hours I sank into ‘16!

Being a technophobe I don’t really know what I’m doing regarding mods, so I’ve stuck to the c-verse almost exclusively. Had some really good saves with SWF and BCG, but my favourite company to book is PGHW. Now the tournament tracker feature is in the game I’ll jump straight in and have a test run of the Elite Series to see how it works. Not sure what the canon way to book it is but I use it as my G1 round robin style.

Looking forward to this dropping!
    The addition of trounaments is very exciting. Especially round-robin / Grand Prix ones that tally the points automatically. So cool

How much of a technophone? Installing a mod is pretty straight-forward as long as you know what a folder is and how to copy n paste.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post
    I definitely understand Adam's predicament but I also feel theres a certain element of rigidity in the development process that prevents it from being as good as it could be. For example, opening up the modding process to the gameplay itself and letting players actively improve every facet of TEW. Perhaps tackling a different form of development where the game is being improved and actively developped continuously (a la Dwarf Fortress) as opposed to released every few years. Im certainly not saying I know how to do Adam's job or that he has it easy and is being wholeheartedly negligent, I just think that plenty of single-developer games have found better ways to bring the best out of their projects while meeting their respective ambitions for it.

Yeah the calendar stuff is for sure linked to the programming language, as well as the adjustable screen size. I fully understand, but I cant deny my disappointment. The inability to move on to a programming language that might enable him to provide a better game (at the cost of money & time he probably judges not worth investing) makes me want to see someone else try their hands at the wrestling sim game.

BCG & TCW are definitely companies that are going to warrant some gametime for me once its fully out. I'd say BHOTWG & USPW would be likely candidates for the beta for me. Really excited to see how Torii & Funakoshi & Taku & such are doing.
    Adam definitely has a particular way of approaching things. Its logical (mostly) but structured.

Let me know if you want details on how those folks are doing

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Jazz Wolf View Post
    Sweet. I've sunk a good couple of thousand of hours into both the 2013 & 2016 editions, though I probably have trouble committing to an idea for more than a month...

Still, though. I imagine I'll be going over the new workers in an official 'build a company around newbies' idea, or trying some low-level Australian company stuff. Idk. I'll work it out when I get there, but this'll likely be a week-one buy for me.
    Do you mostly play real world mods or the fictional ones, Woflie?

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Im just glad I can play as NXT now and still be w/wwe

I also cant wait for the mods too. I will be honest though I been playing tew 05 only so it will be a huge advence for me
    Yeah, this will be a big step forward. But the depth of TEW now compared to 2005 is.... impressive.

There will probably be real world mods available almost immediately after it launches, but it will take ab it of time for them to be converted properly.
    Last edited by Big Papa; 04-16-2020 at 10:33 AM.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

I've never played these games, but I've always been intrigued. Mind you, until I joined this site I'd never really heard about them.

I guess a good as time as any will be to jump into the new one. Hopefully Big man, Papa can guide me when the time comes Haha!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Deco90 View Post
    I've never played these games, but I've always been intrigued. Mind you, until I joined this site I'd never really heard about them.

I guess a good as time as any will be to jump into the new one. Hopefully Big man, Papa can guide me when the time comes Haha!
    100%. Its not a hard game to get the basics of, and you can turn a lot of features off if you don't want to bother them - things like Crowd Management. You can actually play it nearly full-sandbox.

I think the biggest issue people who are new to the game run into are more perception than anything. One is thinkin they should be doing amazing right from the start in terms of grades. That's not always possible. Realistically, any show grade that gains you popularity is doing very well and any show that maintains your popularity is fine. The second is more specific to those who have played games like EWR or even TEW 2005, where almost anything that can work. That's not really the case anymore and you have to book companies to their product.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

Do you mostly play real world mods or the fictional ones, Woflie?
    Mostly fictional. I had a real world mod going for a while but made the mistake of running WWE at full capacity when I really only started it with one goal for one worker in mind for a joke, which wasn't even a good one. Ended up burned out quickly. Should've shut down all the excess shows and released the talent I had no plans for.

I like to flutter between C-Verse & T-Verse on a whim. I find myself drawn to the default C-Verse due to familiarity, having sunk a good couple of hundred hours into it before I discovered mods, but sometimes I'll get the itch for something out-of-the-box and T-Verse has a lot of preset companies to scratch that itch, so to say. Stuff with Wrestlesaurus X, for example, or The Club, or D.I.N.G.O. Smaller companies with an identity I can play around with.

Spoiler:

I'm not good at signatures.

Comeback King

Status
      Country                    England

I'm definitely going to get this but I'll only be interested with the mods I think. How long will they usually take BP?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Jazz Wolf View Post
    Mostly fictional. I had a real world mod going for a while but made the mistake of running WWE at full capacity when I really only started it with one goal for one worker in mind for a joke, which wasn't even a good one. Ended up burned out quickly. Should've shut down all the excess shows and released the talent I had no plans for.

I like to flutter between C-Verse & T-Verse on a whim. I find myself drawn to the default C-Verse due to familiarity, having sunk a good couple of hundred hours into it before I discovered mods, but sometimes I'll get the itch for something out-of-the-box and T-Verse has a lot of preset companies to scratch that itch, so to say. Stuff with Wrestlesaurus X, for example, or The Club, or D.I.N.G.O. Smaller companies with an identity I can play around with.
    Tverse is so diverse and deep. it really does set the standard n that regard.

Do you always try to hire Jon like I do?

WWE is extremely laborious to run in almost any fairly-modern iteration. When I'm working on the May 2013 mod, I keep thinking I'd like to run WWE.... then realizing how big and unwieldly it is. Although... if the auto-booker is that much better, it might make things more workable.

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    I'm definitely going to get this but I'll only be interested with the mods I think. How long will they usually take BP?
    It really depends on how picky you want to be and what you are targeting. Basic conversions will be almost immediately available after it launches. The converter does most of the work and a mod converted right from 2016 to 2020 will function. Its really a matter of optimizing it. I would say it would probably take at least a month to see one that has been fully done over to 2020 rather than had a few things updated. Historical mods will take longer, especially as quite a few are done by the same individual modders. Genadi has done like 3 of the best and has another big one in the pipe, but he's a perfectionist and working solo now, so it won't be quick for those.

If a mod is just flat converted and not optimized, it will run fine. A lot of the stuff missed won't be game-breaking. But it can quickly annoy. On the release of 2016, a converted 2013 mod was playable, but the broadcaster changes meant that if you didn't adjust things, there would be a load of weird and unrealistic broadcast deals signed.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

All About That Ace

Status

Tverse is so diverse and deep. it really does set the standard n that regard.

Do you always try to hire Jon like I do?

WWE is extremely laborious to run in almost any fairly-modern iteration. When I'm working on the May 2013 mod, I keep thinking I'd like to run WWE.... then realizing how big and unwieldly it is. Although... if the auto-booker is that much better, it might make things more workable.

It really depends on how picky you want to be and what you are targeting. Basic conversions will be almost immediately available after it launches. The converter does most of the work and a mod converted right from 2016 to 2020 will function. Its really a matter of optimizing it. I would say it would probably take at least a month to see one that has been fully done over to 2020 rather than had a few things updated. Historical mods will take longer, especially as quite a few are done by the same individual modders. Genadi has done like 3 of the best and has another big one in the pipe, but he's a perfectionist and working solo now, so it won't be quick for those.

If a mod is just flat converted and not optimized, it will run fine. A lot of the stuff missed won't be game-breaking. But it can quickly annoy. On the release of 2016, a converted 2013 mod was playable, but the broadcaster changes meant that if you didn't adjust things, there would be a load of weird and unrealistic broadcast deals signed.
    I would just bury myself so I virtually never sign me but if TV is back for TEW 20 the push is finally happening.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post
    I would just bury myself so I virtually never sign me but if TV is back for TEW 20 the push is finally happening.
    I've chatted about it with jhd1 and it sounds promising. He was the main guy originally. It grew into a team, but I think that ended up causing some issues. Similar to with Genadi's Mod Squad. ironically, I was part of both groups. And contributed equally little to both

I've probably told this story before, but my "big" contribution to the Tverse was in the very genesis stages. jhd1 was layout out the structure of the game world. He was originally going to have the WWWF still alive as the dominant promotion in America. I suggested having no single dominant promotion and none at national. Just felt like that basic structure of having an SE company at national exists in every mod - whether its Cverse or any historical mod. I don't think the idea I put forward went any further than that. In the first Tverse edition, which was a much smaller game-world than it is now, both PWI and AWF were low-ish cult.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

jhd1 finally publicly confirmed it this weekend - there will be a ThunderVerse 2020. I managed to pry it out of him a little while ago but couldn't really say anything until it was announced. And Papa is back on the team, though I doubt I'll contribute much lol
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

All About That Ace

Status

jhd1 finally publicly confirmed it this weekend - there will be a ThunderVerse 2020. I managed to pry it out of him a little while ago but couldn't really say anything until it was announced. And Papa is back on the team, though I doubt I'll contribute much lol
    I think he'd actually replied to my post in the GDS thread confirming it but I dont visit them that often so I didnt notice till you posted here Extremely excited for it and very happy that MHero will be back & working on it. I know Im reserving my longest file for TVerse.

Friendly reminder to everyone interested in checking out this game: demo is out tomorrow and it will allow you to play up to two months which is plenty of time to try a company and get a feel for the game. I know some wont want to because its a fictional universe and not real world though, but its definitely worth the try if you get over that bias (and tbh, the fictional worlds just simulate way better with the game imo). Plus itll give you a decent impression on if the game is for you or not.

Im already buying this game day one but Im happy to play around with different companies until its fully released.

Status

If you want to try the demo but insist on using a RW mod... You can convert them over yourself. The game does almost all the work and sorts out of most of the common issues. Its pretty playable as a straight conversion. You just miss out on some features and a lot of stuff won't be optimized.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Demo is out. Have at 'er, boys.

Been playing it for a few months. Its very solid.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

All About That Ace

Status

Demo is out. Have at 'er, boys.

Been playing it for a few months. Its very solid.
    Did you disable colored lists because I dont think theres any way I could play the game with that on? I think it would probably quadruple the amount of time it takes for me to get through it. From even the get go of selecting who I wanted as my starting character, having to click on each person to read their profile as opposed to just clicking "down" to quickly cycle through.

Seeing a lot of criticism for the UI though I dont mind it.

Too tired to really get into the demo today sadly, and probably won't have the energy till Saturday but I'd like to get stuck in at some point.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information