Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: [TEW 2016/2020] A 2013 Mod in Progress - The YES! Mod

Status

Re: [TEW 2016/2020] A 2013 Mod in Progress - The YES! Mod

1897. Gonna hit 1900 workers today. Been adding some mini luchadors and others off the list. That list is dropping pretty quick, especially as quite a few have been moved to the "decide whether to add later" portion of the list. I mean, if someone worked for 2-3 years and I can't find a cuttable image, let alone one already cut.... they probably aren't a really vital addition.

The to-add list of active male workers is about 150 names long, and I have a bit over half of those with matches picked out. The female to-add active wrestlers list is maybe 50-70 names but almost none of them have matches picked out. I may start looking to template some of these, as they are generally lower-level talents for the most part. I'm just leery of that approach resulting in too many workers that are completely generic.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

1914. Got a few workers in last night and a few today. I realized how many workers from Chikara were missing so I've been tackling those. Since there is something of a type of wrestler that Chikara tends to produce, I decided to create a template, which has made it fairly fast. Still have a handful left and then I will adjust the template for Chikara-type wrestlers who are yet-to-debut.

I might continue on with this method of adding workers to fill in specific companies. I did some digging awhile back to look for missing wrestlers in some companies that have small rosters. Companies like WWC, FIP, and a few others. I'm more interested in getting those wrestlers into the data than active workers who are just free agents. The latter have to go in at some point but they have less immediate impact on the game world. And as I've mentioned, I've been skipping a bunch of workers to decide on later if they don't add much value at all. But this experiment with Chikara is definitely making me think that templates is the way to go.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

All About That Ace

Status
      Country                    Canada

I know it was an issue over on GDS, but how are you dealing with the Speaking Out issues? Just not addressing them at all, or giving wrestlers negative personalities? I dont really know how I'd deal with it so Im curious. I would want to give people extremely negative personalities but there's also the part where the magnitude of the issues + whether you believe the accusations are legitimate (I lean towards believing the victims but thats not a universal belief) can sort of hinder that.

Also with regards to the companies you were thinking about turfing, as a former WWN fan, I'd dig it if you kept DGUSA & FIP in. Though if its too much effort I dont blame you for not keeping them!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Chavez View Post
    I know it was an issue over on GDS, but how are you dealing with the Speaking Out issues? Just not addressing them at all, or giving wrestlers negative personalities? I dont really know how I'd deal with it so Im curious. I would want to give people extremely negative personalities but there's also the part where the magnitude of the issues + whether you believe the accusations are legitimate (I lean towards believing the victims but thats not a universal belief) can sort of hinder that.

Also with regards to the companies you were thinking about turfing, as a former WWN fan, I'd dig it if you kept DGUSA & FIP in. Though if its too much effort I dont blame you for not keeping them!
    Great question, Jon. And an awful issue.

I've been a bit all over the place on this. I have zero reason not to believe the victims and can't say that the "other side" explanations I've seen so far have convinced me of innocence in almost any of the cases. My first instinct was to give everyone name as an abuser the most negative personality possible. Like a lot of fans, I was a mix of horrified, disappointed, and angry. But I didn't start editing immediately. Its really not easy to look at it from a pure gameplay standpoint, but its kinda necessary. As a podcast I was listening to on it pointed out, the accusations vary in severity of the actions. From a pure gameplay standpoint, giving people the worst possible personality impacts other things in the gameplay. So I've been assigning negative personalities of varying levels (and some other associated Attributes, where appropriate) to those I am aware of that have been accused. I'm sure I missed a few and haven't been motivated to seek out a list, which I may do at some point.

And I haven't dumped any companies yet. Honestly, I probably won't. The addition of lower-level workers to fill out those rosters isn't that big of a task when it comes right down to it. Adding in title lineages is a chore, but at least most of these companies don't have particularly long histories. The two most at-risk companies remain APW and ASW.

The person helping me tweak the data brought forward something that didn't really surprise me - the indy scene in Japan has a popularity issue. And by indy scene, I mean every company below NJPW. The workers are too popular. There are a few guys in the 50-70 range of popularity, which isn't necessarily inaccurate. But then a lot of workers in the 35-50 range and that starts to get inaccurate. This happened for a few reasons. Biggest one was that when I imported the companies, the likes of AJPW and Noah were Cult (in TEW 2016 terms) and have been gradually tweaked down. But that created a starting point. And then I had some issues with those two companies being financially stable which led to me tweaking some stuff, which I think included some worker popularities. And then when workers get added after that, the scaling is based on what is already in there. But a quick comparison to the US indy scene makes it obvious there is a disparity, as top indy stars in the US are in the 30-40 range of popularity for the most part. Japan has a higher profile indy scene in a lot of ways, but not that degree. After it was mentioned, I did some digging and found that there were career AJPW mid-carders with 40 popularity. That would make them a lower midcarder in the WWE or NJPW. Fuck nah. 25 or maybe 30 would be more accurate.

I knew that the popularity scaling was an area that would require some work. I wasn't careful enough with the scaling when adding workers and have gotten relatively lucky with the US scene.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Feel free to use my nGo compatible graphics and just let me know if you need any custom graphics for the mod.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Asaemon View Post
    Feel free to use my nGo compatible graphics and just let me know if you need any custom graphics for the mod.
    Thank you, sir. Much appreciated. Already used info and cuts from your broadcaster mod and will probably make use of the locations on your coming mod as well.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Asaemon View Post
    Thank you, sir. Much appreciated. Already used info and cuts from your broadcaster mod and will probably make use of the locations on your coming mod as well.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Almost made it to 1950 workers. Been powering through the list of to-add active workers. I think the combined male & female list is down to like 160-170 workers, but as I mentioned before, quite a few of those don't have matches picked out yet.

It looks like the newest patch tweaked the popularity gains from the smallest broadcasters. Think I mentioned before that I have YouTube in there as a free-to-air Internet broadcaster broken up into each game region with fairly low requirements. Companies like PWG were getting a show on there and growing quite a bit. Not massively, but unrealistically. That seems to have been nerfed. I like that. Companies on the US indy scene feel a bit overpowered, but that's largely because they have a strong base of talent available - a ton of talent that would wind up in the WWE. Just look at the ROH roster from mid-2013. You have Kevin Steen, Kyle O'Reilly, Adam Cole, Tomassao Ciampa, Johnny Garagno, Roderick Strong, the Wolves, the Briscoe's... Some variation of those workers are in a bunch of companies like PWG, Evolve, AIW, AAW, etc. And if they don't get raided hard by the bigger companies, that talent carries them to a degree. It feels unrealistic, but its arguably what should have happened. This change in the newest patch won't necessarily remove that element entirely, but just remove the growth from getting on ANY broadcaster, which helps.

At some point in the not too distant future, I'm going to have to do a blitz of non-wrestlers as I think there are some managers, announcers, etc, that I haven't added yet that should go in.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

1958. But not really. I dropped in a handful of workers to convert over, so probably right around 1950 legit. I did manage to get a few more workers in. Between that and deferring a few workers, the list of to-add male workers is 112 long now. The women's side of active to-add is 38 names. Getting through this list will be a nice moment. Still more active workers to add as well, but it will feel like a strong step towards getting the active game world completed.

I'm not sure how many of the deferred additions will end up going in. They are ones that have a limited amount of value. Like a few of them are workers who had a single appearance for ROH shows in 2013 or 2014 and their entire career has otherwise be in the lower level indy companies. I want available free agents for sure, but any mod only needs so many workers that are essentially the same.

I did also do the lineages for the World and Death Match titles from BJW.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Dropped in another handful of workers after finishing up the last batch, so 1968 workers. I also got the first batch of legends back from a helpful GDS soul who did a sepia tone to over 100 worker cuts. A neat little feature of TEW is Classic Agers. Agers is a mechanism that allow you to automate a worker image change when they age. The Classic Ager allows you to set a specific image cut that will be used if / when the worker gets into a Hall of Fame (which is for a specific company) or the Hall of Immortals. GIMP doesn't have an easy sepia tone filter that I could find so Atticus is doing them for me. And they look SWEET. Took a bit to get them into the game as you have to add each one individually. But I do love how they look.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

1974 and that to-add list is dwindling. Which is damned nice. I will end up having to find matches for about 40 males and 40 females, then I can start to go through the lists I've come up with of other workers to add. I don't think that will blow the list up too massively. But once I'm through those additions, I'm getting close to the starting game world being completed.

Still lots to do, but that would be a very happy-making step.

Got some more feedback from my expert and adjusted DDT and Noah. None were really massive adjustments but polish is polish. Noah had a bit more worker popularity tweaking than DDT. I've looked at other Japanese companies and with one exception, they are pretty okay in this regard. Dragon Gate is pretty overpowered with worker popularity. Most of that roster will go down by about 5-10 points of popularity.

Also ran a 1 year test sim. The recent patch nuked the rapid growth that companies saw on even the smallest broadcasters, which made adding YouTube and the like a bit problematic. Seems better now. And was also looking to see if the worker popularity adjustment in Japan would be problematic. Many puro companies lose money off the start but stabilize after a bit. DDT was the only company still losing money by mid-2014 but it was very small amounts per month. There are a number of things I can tweak but it looks like the companies will adjust themselves, which is pretty realistic.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Hit 2000 workers, so that's a nice milestone. At the same point, I exhausted the list of active male workers that I had matches picked out for. There were about 40-50 names left on the list that I don't have matches picked for yet and about 40 women. Plus an unknown number of non-wrestlers. I had done some research for active workers that were on company rosters in 2013 and hadn't added all of them to the list yet, but that didn't expand it as much as I expected. After adding in those names, the list only blew up to about 100 males and still the 40 females. I'm going to do some additional research and dig up workers who are in companies in the data later who might already be active, but either free agents or working for companies that aren't in the data. I want to do that add them as I find matches. They will pretty much all be lower-level workers, which are wonderfully quick to add, generally speaking.

I also added some title belt lineages, finishing out all the TNA belts and adding some of the Big Japan and Dragon Gate belts. As I mentioned before with Dragon Gate, I'm starting to look at worker popularity to redo the scaling a bit.

So hitting 2K had me feeling pretty good and starting to think about the stuff that needs to be done that is really more "late stage" type stuff. This is title lineages, company checks, testing, and yet-to-debut workers... .but I was poking around in the planning spreadsheet and realized how many companies need to be checked. And its a LOT.

The actual company check process is easy. i start up a save with that company and look around. Its what that can find. things that need to be added - starting storylines, missing schedules, title lineages, etc. And stuff that need to be adjusted - product, production levels, announcers not being set, broadcasting deals, etc. Still a load of work to get through in that regard. Good times.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Digging up quite a few more workers to add that would be active in mid 2013. Not a massive number, but some. I may also do some checks through some mods as that's a great source of workers.

I did finish out the Dragon Gate belts yesterday and did events for Dragon Gate USA. I hate thinking about how many companies still need schedules done, but much like title lineages, its one of those things that I could complete after releasing a beta version of the mod. I just prefer to have that kind of stuff as done as possible. I've stopped being quite as... picky about schedules, as so many indy companies run schedules that just can't be accurately recreated in TEW in a way that will work. Quite a few run shows in bunches and while you can set it up that way, its probably dooming the company to failure as monthly shows is meant to be minimum and skipping months has detrimental effects.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Managed to get the New Japan tag belts done as well as some tweaks for Dragon Gate. The New Japan tag belts have a fairly long history so its nice to et that done up. Not too much left for NJ belts but I do have the tournaments to do up for New Japan. Those tend to be fairly quick.

Dragon Gate had some individual tweaks as well the top three quarters of the roster had 6-10 points of popularity shaved off of nearly everyone. I think one person went up. I ran a one year test sim overnight. It looks like all the puro companies below New Japan will lose money for the first while. But they almost all normalize. On this save, Wrestling New Classic did die but that also emulates reality.

Was expecting to be expanding the to-add list, find matches, and get back to adding workers fairly quick but that doesn't seem to be happening. Haven't even started looking for worker matches yet. Which is fine. Getting stuff done with schedules and title lineages is still progress I'm happy to make. All stuff that needs to get done.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Only stuff I managed yesterday was to finish out the New Japan tag team titles, the G1 history, and the Tag League. But... I also shared the data with someone else, who gave some feedback. Nothing major but nice things to get adjusted and tweaked. And the impression he gave of the data was pretty positive, so that always awesome. So it feels like the overall game world is in pretty good shape. Still needs tweaking and testing, and filling in the details. Lots of details left, but its not game-breaking stuff. I mean, if a company doesn't have title lineage done up, that's hardly a massive issue. Especially if its a smaller company in some far flung corner that no one is likely to run. But its all stuff I want to get to have done eventually. Its that level of polish where all the details are noted and taken care of that I'm going for.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

So had a week off of work and didn't make much progress with this. Well, I did, but not directly. Got some tweaking done, based on feedback. And I spent quite a lot of time going through the 2020 Cverse to pick out workers that can be matched up for that final batch of workers to add. I've also been creating some worker templates for the yet-to-debut workers. Have about 20 done and will add a few more, so those will make adding all the yet-to-debut workers a lot faster and easier.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Meant to post more yesterday but fat-fingered the post button and couldn't be arsed to edit.

I finished up going through the Cverse workers. The list of those I picked out is over 400 workers long, which should cover off pretty much all of the workers I still need to add. It will also help out with the yet-to-debut talent. I spent some time rearranging the list of workers I picked to make things easier and its working pretty well. Just started to do the matching process, which I will mostly try to get through before I get back to adding workers. I don't expect to get through it too quickly, but might as well do this right. I have been taking the time to ensure I have an idea of the real world worker before I pick out a matched worker for them.

Of those list, I did mark off those who are rookies in the Cverse, as they could be used to create some more Yet to Debut (YTD) templates. Adding several hundred YTD workers is kinda vital to making sure the game world stays stable and full. But I also don't want too many debuting that are overpowered, as that can unbalance things in that direction.

Honestly, the process of adding the YTD workers is one I wasn't looking forward to. I had picked out some worker matchups already. It just seemed like it was going to be a pain, especially using workers who are already active. Generally speaking, workers debut with 0 popularity, 0 experience, 0 respect, and skills to reflect them being rookies. There are exceptions to that - folks like Ronda Rousey and Matt Riddle. Taking an active worker from the CV or TV and editing them to be a YTD worker in the mod isn't really any more work than doing so for any other worker.... but its also not any less work. I mentioned before that the original plan of just using YTD worker from the CV and TV wasn't going to work as there are nowhere near enough. And very much in the case of the CV, they are moreso the "better' future workers, while the worker generation system is intended to fill in the average and lesser workers in the future. Which is fair enough for that but didn't work with this situation.

Since I decided to switch to a template approach for the YTD workers, I'm thinking it will be faster and easier so now I'm kinda looking forward to diving in and getting some done. The danger with using templates is failing to vary the workers enough, making a large volume of workers feel identical. There are a couple of real world mods that suffer for that to some degree. So beyond just ensuring I take the time to tweak the actually skills and Attributes, I also figure it will help if I have a variety of templates to choose from. So rather than just having a template for lightweight junior workers, I will have several. So one for fairly poor junior workers, one for flying junior workers, one for technical leaning junior wrestlers, etc. And maybe even a couple variations for common types. So automatically there will be some variance even within similar templates.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Probably not enough reason to post but fuckit.

So didn't have a ton of time last night since I worked late but I did manage to do a little bit. The new way I'm doing matching is working very slick. When I was going through the Cverse and looking for workers I could use, I didn't just make a list of names. I included some basic info - region, age, size, wrestler type, Psychology, and Star Quality. I then rearranged the list into separate sections for male and female and further broken down by region. When making the list of workers who need to be matched up, I tried to include some basic details but even if I didn't, I can dive into Cagematch or another RW mod to get an idea of what kind of worker they are, making the matchup process a bit easier.

So getting the matching process done won't take too long but its just a matter of how much time I can pour into it over the next week or so. Then I can dive back into getting these workers into the data and start to close out the active game-world in that regard. I will have to do some digging for missing workers, but that will also be part of the beta testing process as well.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Just checking in on the progress dude- Glad this is still going strong seemingly.

So much work and effort but it's going to be great! Looking forward to playing it man.

BRUNO! BRUNO! BRUNO!
    'Portuguese Magnífico'

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Deco90 View Post
    Just checking in on the progress dude- Glad this is still going strong seemingly.

So much work and effort but it's going to be great! Looking forward to playing it man.
    Still moving forward. Still plugging away. And great to hear (err read) that there is anticipation for the end product.

Had yesterday off of work but it was the dog's birthday so we were busy with that. But I did manage to get a bit done. Got back to adding workers. For no particular reason, i decided to cycle between active male, active female, yet-to-debut male and yet-to-debut female. The combined list of all 4 is 450 names long and they all need to go in, so I just started adding from each list. I will probably end up focusing more on the active workers as the yet-to-debut list is less vital to have in the data. I do also have a load of non-wrestlers to go in as well.

As I've mentioned before, I keep fighting the urge to do a bunch of testing and tweaking. That process isn't far away now but still need to get the game world a bit more finished up.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread Information