Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LAX not re-signing with Impact

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: LAX not re-signing with Impact

I remember when I was trying to get into TNA, really digging the OG LAX. It was probably my favorite thing about the company which wasnt shocking since Eddie G & Rey were my favorite thing about WWE. All the hispanic wrestlers were gangster af. It was around the time Homicide & Hernandez had the briefcases, I think they faced off shortly after and it was a dull ass match and I stopped caring about them quickly thereafter. Still love the whole persona, visual, presentation though.

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Also, the indy scene was nowhere near as popular back then as it is today, people did not keep up with it anywhere nearly as much.
    Wouldn't agree with this at all. The US indies 2000 boom was a huge deal and totally influential to what we've seen a decade later.

What's hot about today's indies? can't count AEW, TNA or ROH as they're owned by companies and have TV shows, so the only ones with buzz really are MLW, GCW and on a niche level Beyond.

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Wouldn't agree with this at all. The US indies 2000 boom was a huge deal and totally influential to what we've seen a decade later.

What's hot about today's indies? can't count AEW, TNA or ROH as they're owned by companies and have TV shows, so the only ones with buzz really are MLW, GCW and on a niche level Beyond.
    Defiant is pretty good ICW Evolve PWG Progress

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

To me, that's not what he's arguing though. The reality is that people are far more aware of indie companies than they were a decade or especially older ago. Going back fifteen years, the non-WWE company you heard some people talk about to try and spread awareness was just TNA. Granted, over time companies like ROH grew big enough that people would try to spread the awareness, but the awareness of indie wrestling is loads bigger than it used to be, whether it's "Hot" or not. The mid 20006s had a really influential group of wrestlers, but sadly not many eyes.

WAKE UP

Status

This is totally off piste, but this comment also stuck out to me. Is indy wrestling really more popular than then? Only going by online circles, which is where most wrestling fandom takes place, you wouldn't think it. I can't remember the last time I saw much hype or talk about PWG or CZW or whatever.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    To me, that's not what he's arguing though. The reality is that people are far more aware of indie companies than they were a decade or especially older ago. Going back fifteen years, the non-WWE company you heard some people talk about to try and spread awareness was just TNA. Granted, over time companies like ROH grew big enough that people would try to spread the awareness, but the awareness of indie wrestling is loads bigger than it used to be, whether it's "Hot" or not. The mid 20006s had a really influential group of wrestlers, but sadly not many eyes.
    going back 15 years ago, twitter didn’t exist and you would either have to buy dvds of shows or if you’re lucky find downloads for them to watch these matches, way more accessible today to see and hear about these promotions. And yet, to me it feels like things were hotter in the us indies a decade ago, certainly for a wrestling forum there was probably more talk about these promotions a decade ago than there is today.

I suppose a look into attendances would be a fairer thing to compare.

oh and whoever said defiant, defiant are now dead lol.

going back 15 years ago, twitter didn’t exist and you would either have to buy dvds of shows or if you’re lucky find downloads for them to watch these matches, way more accessible today to see and hear about these promotions. And yet, to me it feels like things were hotter in the us indies a decade ago, certainly for a wrestling forum there was probably more talk about these promotions a decade ago than there is today.
    Going off of my own experiences with message boards, it really depended on the place. Prior to DD buying WS, WC didn't really have any indie talk. Some places did have an indie awareness, but with just the main boards I was on, it was far more the norm that people were entirely unfamiliar with the indie scene.

I think you can make the case that enthusiasm for indie wrestling was higher before compared to today, but I think that's also because if you were watching indie wrestling in say...2007, you actively sought it out, so you were already a fan. These days, the awareness is so much higher.

These days, I can't even browse a place like SquaredCircle's Imgur without seeing countless Orange Cassidy gifs. That's a big change compared to a decade+ ago.

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

I think you can make the case that enthusiasm for indie wrestling was higher before compared to today, but I think that's also because if you were watching indie wrestling in say...2007, you actively sought it out, so you were already a fan. These days, the awareness is so much higher.
    This is probably the most accurate statement. Even into the early 2010's if ROH/PWG/CHIKARA had a much hyped show you'd have to wait for the DVD to drop before you could watch it legally. Hype was still very word of mouth.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Thread Information