Thread: Do You Agree With AEW's Marketing Strategy?

Jobber

Status
      Country                    United States

All Elite Wrestling Do You Agree With AEW's Marketing Strategy?

So it seems like AEW is going after hardcore and/or a dedicated adult audience rather than casual fans (and kids). The show will be TV-14 on TNT, I believe. Is this smart strategy? Do they risk alienating newer and/or casual fans? Will AEW even appeal to these type of viewers?

They seem to have struck a chord with a lot of "lapsed" wrestling fans like me (people that stopped watching wrestling for several months or years and are now getting back into it). But can the brand grow with just appealing to a seemingly smaller audience type?
    Last edited by boomkattack; 08-15-2019 at 10:46 PM.

PROVERBS 3:5-6

Status

Re: Do You Agree With AEW's Marketing Strategy?

Quote Originally Posted by boomkattack View Post
    So it seems like AEW is going after hardcore and/or a dedicated adult audience rather than casual fans (and kids). The show will be TV-14 on TNT, I believe. Is this smart strategy? Do they risk alienating newer and/or casual fans? Will AEW even appeal to these type of viewers?

They seem to have struck a chord with a lot of "lapsed" wrestling fans like me (people that stopped watching wrestling for several months or years and are now getting back into it). But can the brand grow with just appealing to a seemingly smaller audience type?
    I think it's effective. I could be very off base but I think it's harder to coax those diehards into watching your stuff than it is to hook casuals. So I think it's smart to try to hook in the smark crowd, and because they're on TNT and their product has a healthy dose of sports entertainment, I think they'll still be able to reel in casuals anyways. I also think their strong YouTube presence will play into attracting younger fans.

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

So far you have to say it’s working because they’re selling tickets like hot cakes and there’s a real buzz about the brand. Time will tell how effective they are at growing their fan base once they are on TV and we have week to week audience numbers to judge off.

Jobber

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I think it's effective. I could be very off base but I think it's harder to coax those diehards into watching your stuff than it is to hook casuals. So I think it's smart to try to hook in the smark crowd, and because they're on TNT and their product has a healthy dose of sports entertainment, I think they'll still be able to reel in casuals anyways. I also think their strong YouTube presence will play into attracting younger fans.
    Agreed, I really like their social media presence as well. Just a small nitpick though, don't they have like three YouTube channels right now? They have the main AEW channel, Being The Elite, and Nightmare something, can't remember the exact name. I feel like it's too much effort to keep up with all three because sometimes one channel announces a match, another channel shows a small continuation of a storyline, etc. But I think that's just because the weeky show isn't here yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    So far you have to say it’s working because they’re selling tickets like hot cakes and there’s a real buzz about the brand. Time will tell how effective they are at growing their fan base once they are on TV and we have week to week audience numbers to judge off.
    Oh yeah, plus I think once they groom their own star that can be mainstream, that will help a ton. I know guys like Jericho, Moxley are there but I mean homegrown AEW guys or gals who blow up. I could see that being someone like Hangman Page, MJF, Darby Allin, etc.

PROVERBS 3:5-6

WAKE UP

Status

Obviously they need to differentiate themselves from WWE, so anyone who thinks they are at risk of 'alienating certain people hasn't got the foggiest about basic business principles.

How successful it is long-term depends on what their goal is to measure it against, so time will tell on that, but I can't see anyone arguing it **not** being a success so far when they've gotten more attention in a year than ECW, TNA or ROH ever did over 10 year runs.

Thread Information