Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 King of the Ring

Status
      Country                    United States

King of the Ring 2019 King of the Ring

The King of the Ring tournament returns this year, kicking off this week on TV and culminating at Clash of the Champions on September 15. We now know who will make up the field of 16 competitors, with 8 superstars coming from Raw and 8 coming from Smackdown.

Now the question that is on everyone's mind is who will get the honor of being called King of the Ring this year? And even more intriguing in my opinion is how will the winner of this tournament treated? Will this be a launching pad for someone to go on to win one of the world titles and solidify themselves in the main event, or will it be another failure to launch and burden for the winner to bear?

That will all become clear in due time. For now, let's discuss who could potentially win this thing.

Personally, looking at this field, I wouldn't be too upset with too many of these choices. I feel like the only people I wouldn't be in favor of would be Kevin Owens, Baron Corbin or Shelton Benjamin. I'm only opposed to Owens winning because it doesn't feel like he needs this. He's already the hottest face in the company and a believable world title contender. Baron Corbin has just been overexposed recently so unless they change up his presentation, I just don't want to see him back in the main event picture. Shelton Benjamin is low key one of my favorites from the past couple decades but no one with his age and tenure should be winning this thing. If I was putting money on someone to win this, it would be Ricochet. Someone that WWE obviously have a ton of faith in, but he hasn't been in the mix for a world title shot yet in his career. It is rarer for a face to win, but I just have a feeling he's the chosen one this year. If I was able to choose a winner though, I would go with Drew McIntyre. I've been desperately waiting for him to get in the world title picture since his return and despite numerous teases, he just hasn't got there yet. I would have him win this thing and go on to feud with Rollins, and ultimately win the Universal Championship, possibly at Survivor Series.

So who does everyone else want or expect to win? Do you have any excitement for the tournament? Do you think it will actually produce a new top level star?
    Last edited by The EC; 08-15-2019 at 05:29 PM.

Status

Re: 2019 King of the Ring

King Corbin is coming. With him being off a lot lately, I think they are gearing up for this.

There are so many nostalgia plays they can make this to me is a great idea.

What an awful poster. Remove the dull white title and you'd have no idea that this was a King of the Ring poster. It looks more like the return of Bragging Rights than KOTR.

Cynical Jim's automatic assumption is that a heel will win it and will lead to them getting depushed with Drew McIntyre being the most likely. It'd be nice if they put a shred of effort into this, unlike past years, and use it to actually boost someone up.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Greece

For my money, King McIntyre is the way to go.

#WC4Horsemen

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    For my money, King McIntyre is the way to go.
    Lord knows Big Boi McIntyre needs this so badly. I love his work as a Character, one of the intimidating guys in Wrestling to go along with his skills in the Ring this is his moment to get something going on the Main Roster. Give me what I want WWE!

Backyarder

Status

Awesome that they're bringing this prestigious tournament back but will the winner actually get a push? I'd love to see Joe win it but I don't think it would lead anywhere. Maybe Buddy Murphy could get it after riding the hype of his great match with Roman Reigns a few days ago. I'm also hearing a lot about that McIntyre guy, didn't the Rock sort of endorse him recently or say he was really talented? I think he may win it.

PROVERBS 3:5-6

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

I know Jim isn’t a fan, but I like that the poster quickly lets me know who’s in the tournament. Not like it’s an actual PPV event either, it’s just a graphic to hype TV matches.

i think there’s two ways they can go here. They either do the typical WWE thing of putting over a heel who they like, but not to the level of making them a top champion, just someone who can cut endless promos about being a king and they don’t get a push up the card from it. Someone like Corbin or Drew fits the bill here. I also wouldn’t rule them out letting Elias win so they can do skits about him being the king and better than Elvis. The other way to go is to establish a babyface on the rise up the card to get them at world title challenger level, ricochet or Kevin Owens comes to mind here.

Is there a bracket out?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I know Jim isn’t a fan, but I like that the poster quickly lets me know who’s in the tournament. Not like it’s an actual PPV event either, it’s just a graphic to hype TV matches.

i think there’s two ways they can go here. They either do the typical WWE thing of putting over a heel who they like, but not to the level of making them a top champion, just someone who can cut endless promos about being a king and they don’t get a push up the card from it. Someone like Corbin or Drew fits the bill here. I also wouldn’t rule them out letting Elias win so they can do skits about him being the king and better than Elvis. The other way to go is to establish a babyface on the rise up the card to get them at world title challenger level, ricochet or Kevin Owens comes to mind here.

Is there a bracket out?
    No bracket yet, or any matches confirmed for Raw and SD as far as I can tell.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

I really like the graphic as well, simple and does the job.

I selfishly want Joe to win it so he can get a push, but realistically it doesn't really suit him, nor does he really need it. Joe can easily excel in any situation he's given, he doesn't need a gimmicky accolade like KOTR to prop himself up.

Corbin would definitely pull off the king gimmick the best if they go that route. There's a lot of routes they can go with this honestly, glad we're finally seeing a tournament of some sort again.

Stylebender

Status
      Country                    Scotland

This is me just being a pessimistic prick, and I will admit I am excited to see the matches in the tournament, but I have no faith whatsoever in WWE pulling this off. I wouldn't be surprised if they had Cesaro, Corbin or Sami win, JUST so Vince can get a few chuckles with king puns. Although part of me wants to see Zayn in that gimmick cause he'd defo pull it off haha.

Impact 2014: Rebranding When It Mattered

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I, for one, cannot wait to see which midcard heel starts coming out with a crown and sceptre while reciting shitty WWE comedy.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Calling Ricochet getting the nod. Although I'd much prefer Almas, Cesaro or Murphy getting the accolade. The matches should be fun but I also don't think it'll lead to anything directly

I'm cool. I think

Status

Yeah, I'm also going Drew. Ever since Regal, the KOTR has pretty much been "Which European can we give a royal gimmick to?"
    " I have this weird self-esteem issue where I hate myself but still think I’m better than everyone else."

Hail To The King

Status

Holy Shit Corbin back on TV MY heart flies in all seriousness theres no way McIntyre doesnt win this. I do think Murphy vs. Owens in SD finals and RAW Ricochet and McIntyre

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Status

King Baron. Book it

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post

Is there a bracket out?
    Here’s the bracket that was released earlier today:

I’m excited for most of these matches, this looks like a lot of fun imo. I’m pulling for Ali but I would be okay with Murphy, McIntyre, Ricochet, Cesaro, Gable, or Andrade.
    Last edited by Jimmy King; 08-16-2019 at 07:14 PM.

Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

Status

Bangers on bangers. Shocked that one of Benjamin or Gable will be making it out of the first round, since I figured both of them were in there as squash fodder. Then again, I wouldn't put it passed WWE to do a draw finish and give the winner of Andrade/Apollo a bye. Also really shocked by Ricochet/McIntyre taking place in the first round since those were my two favorites to win it. Honestly, I'll be disappointed to see either guy go out that early.

Hail To The King

Status

RAW looks like they set up Alexander Drew III.

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Relentless Admin

Status

If they're keeping it heel vs face for most of the tournament, then Drew Vs Alexander III and Ali Vs Andrade look like the two most likely semi finals to me. Like EC, I'm stunned they've gone for Ricochet and Drew in the first round. The wildcard would be if Owens can get passed Elias, then he's probably making the final, but with the Shane stuff still not over then that looks likely to be a match Owens gets screwed out of.

Drew looks set to win as far as I can read from that bracket.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

This whole thing can only go really, really wrong in one scenario:

Owens wins, Shane comes out and says you can't be King without beating the Best in the World, Shane faces a worn out Owens and becomes King + BITW. *yawn*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information