Thread: The Nostalgic Trip - Wrestling T-Shirts

The Nostalgic Trip - Wrestling T-Shirts

Merchandise. For any fan of wrestling, merchandise is some of the most relied on material to expand on your fandom while also giving back to the companies you wish to support. While some pieces of merchandise ends up drying up over time whether for technological reasons (VHS dying out) or the fan aging (Buying the toys), there is one basic type of merchandise that has yet to dry up - t-shirts. Although pro wrestling shirts have existed for years (There's so many wonderfully cheesy WWF shirts that you could find modeled by the likes of Stephanie McMahon in WWE Magazine back in the 80s), 1996 completely changed the industry with the introduction of the nWo logo and the original Austin 3:16 shirts. Later, other incredibly popular t-shirts came out promoting DX, Goldberg, The Rock, and others.

Chances are, if you're geeky enough to be a member of a pro wrestling message board, you're geeky enough to have had owned at least one pro wrestling t-shirt. However, the concept of this thread and potential series, is to dive into the firsts of such pieces of fandom.

For me, besides owning a pretty swanky Hulk Hogan pajama set when I was really young, the earliest shirt I can remember owning is a WWF collage shirt circa 1991. At least, this is what I think was the shirt:

The difficulty in remembering exactly what the shirt was is made more confusing to my already terrible memory due to the fact that there was a secondary shirt of the same design, just with different wrestlers. The weirdness of this shirt expanded by the fact that my biggest memory of this alternate shirt is that Shawn Michaels was shown wearing it on a 1993 Raw, but when you look at who is on the shirt, everyone is either gone from the company, split up, or was away for a year only to return (Such as Mr. Perfect). Why are you promoting such a shirt, 1993 Shawn Michaels?!

At this point in time, there weren't many shirt options when you weren't going to the live events or ordering from WWE Magazine, so you were mostly left with these unofficial collage based shirts. The first official WWE shirt I can remember owning that you could see wrestlers actually wearing on TV was Steve Austin's rattlesnake DTA shirt from 1998:

To wrap up my firsts for WWE, the first WWE shirt I ended up getting while at a live event was the official PPV shirt for Armageddon 2006:

Event based shirts aren't as versatile as more generic wrestling shirts, as I wouldn't wear my Armageddon shirt to a different wrestling event, but they're ideal if you just want to remember the event you attended.

Switching companies, although I owned a few WCW shirts back in the day, I believe the first one I owned was this Crow Sting shirt from 1997-1998, although it's difficult to remember if this is the exact one as WCW released two Crow Sting face shirts around the same time period:

Back in 1999, I attended my very first live wrestling event, which was a WCW show. To commentate the occasion, I picked up my very first live event show, a show I would immediately regret buying because there's zero way I was going to be seen wearing it while in junior high. :

The amount of merchandise I ended up buying from TNA ended up mostly just being stuff from 2005-2006, I did end up nabbing a single shirt. I believe I bought this AJ Styles baseball style shirt as a package deal along with AJ's first TNA DVD:

Finally, my last "First" shirt would be when I attended a ROH event and bought my sole ROH shirt in 2014, but it's just a simply SOTF logo based shirt and since I can't find an image of it online and I don't feel like finding my own shirt to take a photo, you can just imagine it for yourselves.
    ---

Those are my wrestling shirts firsts, what about you guys? Have any embarrassments like my Buff Bagwell shirt or were you clever enough to just stick with the most popular shirts? Photos, we need photos! Idk...share stories about your shirts history.

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: The Nostalgic Trip - Wrestling T-Shirts

I love the Buff shirt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status

The only ones I've had over the years were the Stone Cold Steve Austin standard 3:16 shirt with the skull in the back, and the NWO black and White.

When I was younger though I had the Jim Duggan foam 2x4. Interestingly enough I drove my father nuts during that house show because I thought I had to crap the whole time and kept making him go to the bathroom and when I got there I wasn't able to finish my business.

Looking back on it the pressure of going to the bathroom in a public restroom during a wrestling event was pretty damn high, especially when you were 6 years old.

The Buff shirt reminds me of the Buff poster where he's doing the kissing face for some PPV.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Scotland

Man those are some sick shirts. I can't actually remember what my first was but my absolute favourite was the "I'm Your Papi" Eddie Guerrero shirt from '05. I haven't bought a wrestling shirt for years at this point though.

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Chances are, if you're geeky enough to be a member of a pro wrestling message board, you're geeky enough to have had owned at least one pro wrestling t-shirt.
    I own a message board, but I've never bought a wrestling T-shirt I guess I already feel like I spend enough money on this hobby.

The closest I've come to buying one was Punk's 2011 return shirt, Ilja's 2018 return shirt and Becky's the man shirt. Shirt's that aren't obviously WWE.com wrestling shirts really appeal, people on the indies like Chris Brooks and Marty Scurll who have their own creative freedom produce great designs.

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status
      Country                    England

Had the Punk's 2011 return shirt and Edge's grey Rated-R shirt for years. Pained me to get rid of them but they were no longer wearable. Still have Punk's 2013 return hoody though.

Current t-shirt collection is mostly indy stuff.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

MERHABALAR AQ

Status
      Country                    Turkey

I have Christian's Hit The Switch shirt and nothing more than that.
    Worker bees can leave.
    Even drones can fly away.
    The Queen is their slave.

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

I have a ton of wrestling tees but Tapatalk won’t let me upload pics so I’ll post them in the near future

BIG KAIJU~

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Yeah I still buy WWE Shirts even though some of the Gear for them these days doesn't make me go nuts to buy them. The last two Shirts I purchased was the Kairi Sane NXT Shirt she got really late which I've worn once, and Dream's Dream Over Macho Man inspired Purple Shirt which I love with a passion. As a kid I loved those WWE ultrabright and with plenty going on with the Shirts. Shoot I remember having that Austin Shirt which I can't remember if it was before or after the 3:16 one where it had his face and it was half his face and the half a Skull like look to it. Pretty sure it terrified my Classmates back then and it wasn't too long till everyone around me was talking about Wrestling and I wasn't the lone one.

Real Women of Genius

The place to see the best of best of Women's Wrestling from all over the World

People's Champion

Status

I have never owned a wrestling shirt. I just buy dvds and blu rays
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

IMG_1475.jpgIMG_1476.jpgIMG_1477.jpgIMG_1478.jpgIMG_1479.jpgIMG_1482.jpgIMG_1480.jpgIMG_1481.jpgIMG_1483.jpgIMG_1484.jpgIMG_1485.jpgIMG_1486.jpgIMG_1487.jpg

The King Kong Bundy (R.I.P.) shirt made by our very own Booty. I used to own a Benoit shirt but I guess I got rid of it after everything happened with him. I had a John Cena shirt my mom bought me but I hated it. Not because of him but because it was just a shitty shirt. The Brock one shrunk in the wash so I don’t wear it at all anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang

Keep dreaming

Status
      Country                    UK

I’ve only ever bought one. A Randy Orton ‘In My Veins’ shirt in like 2014 I think it was.

Bought it outside the O2 in London, at a small stand, because me and my sister thought that was the only place to buy them (she bought a Cena shirt). Then went inside to see that there was a giant wall full of shirts at a big counter. Asked to swap the Orton shirt for a Bad News Barrett one but they wouldn’t let me.

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Mitch View Post
    IMG_1475.jpgIMG_1476.jpgIMG_1477.jpgIMG_1478.jpgIMG_1479.jpgIMG_1482.jpgIMG_1480.jpgIMG_1481.jpgIMG_1483.jpgIMG_1484.jpgIMG_1485.jpgIMG_1486.jpgIMG_1487.jpg

The King Kong Bundy (R.I.P.) shirt made by our very own Booty. I used to own a Benoit shirt but I guess I got rid of it after everything happened with him. I had a John Cena shirt my mom bought me but I hated it. Not because of him but because it was just a shitty shirt. The Brock one shrunk in the wash so I don’t wear it at all anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We also learned Mitch has no iron

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Booty Love View Post
    We also learned Mitch has no iron

It's true but the reason they were all wrinkled was because they were all jammed in a bag as I brought them to a friend's house for WM earlier this year and completely forgot about them until I saw this thread.

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang

American Ninja

Status

My favorite wrestling shirt of all time, I used to look dope af with this and some JNCO jeans(however you would spell it) in the late 90's, it's probably the only wresting shirt I'd still wear in public today:

A few years ago I seen a rapper perform on some show on ESPN wearing it and I marked so hard for it.
    Last edited by ShinobiMusashi; 08-16-2019 at 08:59 PM.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Awesome thread idea. And well worth it for seeing your Buff Bagwell shirt, Jim.

(the following images aren't from me, but they're the shirts I owned).

The first wrestling shirt I owned was this one when I was around 8 years old, I'd guess. Yeah, me wearing this as an 8 year old probably wasn't a great look and in terms of design is comfortably the worst shirt I've ever owned.

From there I got the Austin 3:16 shirt. A classic.

My next one was from one of the first shows I went to see live in 2006, where I bought the shirt of my then-favourite wrestler. I am of course talking about Randy Orton, and this cool design shirt which, while unoriginal, is my favourite wrestling shirt that I ever owned.

On to ones I still own today and are in regular rotation.

From 2009 or 2010. The colour in my one has faded and the shirt has shrunk (or maybe I've just gotten bigger), but Randy Orton holds the distinction of being one of the few wrestlers I have multiple shirts of.

From 2011, shortly after being hyped for his return.

From 2011, another classic that loads of wrestling fans own. The shirt is now very faded, so I don't wear it often anmore.

One from one of my all time favourites.

And another from another of my all time favourites

Another CM Punk one, and one that I wear far more often than the 2011 MITB one.

One from 2015(?):

As a bonus, here's Mrs Shock's shirts. See if you can notice a pattern:

First, the one that we found in a vintage shop in York randomly so I forced her to buy it for £2.50

And then ... these

Probably forgetting a couple but that's what we've got so far.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Character Jobber

Status

I previously owned a Sting black & white shirt (not the one shown earlier in this thread), and an nWo Wolfpack shirt. I currently own a retro Ultimate Warrior shirt.

The CHAMPS are HERE!!!

Thread Information