Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Premier League 2019/2020 Discussion Thread

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Re: Premier League 2019/2020 Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Would have been a tough player to replace, especially on a free. A WELL RUN club would never let a key player in their prime walk away on a free, would they?

Its not a Moyes appointment. He's not going to get us relegated. But he's not certain to get us top 4 either. Honestly, maybe this was all Emery was ever going to offer us - two transition seasons where we start to rebuild and just try to maintain status without necessarily really moving forward as a club in terms of results. He's in the 2nd year of a 2 year deal, so Arsenal can move forward in the summer with a new manager without much fuss. And I would be surprised if the next manager isn't Freddie Ljundberg. Not saying that it should be, just that it looks like what the club is lining up.

"I don't know what Emery is trying to do". The ArseCast literally just said that and it sums up how a lot of us feel. Its just confusion over what his tactical intent is.

We aren't a good team off the ball, in terms of our attacking movement. It works out nicely once in awhile, like the 2nd goal where we played as many passes leading to the goal as any Prem goal this season. But more often, our off the ball running is shit and we don't support well, and we lose the ball a lot in part because of this. And when we lose the ball, we aren't very good at getting it back. We don't press very well, despite his claims of what Emery said he wanted us to do. We aren't great at organizing. So there this mindless, disorganized rush to defend without much tactical thought and without real support and without proper tracking of runners. And this seems to be why teams can run at us so easily and why we panic so much. Players make panicked rash decisions because they don't think they have any support coming in... because they typically don't.

We have no tactical basis. Emery's base tactical approach seems to be "adaptive". And as I've said before, that's problematic.

Xhaka is symbolic of what ails Arsenal. He is, in certain ways, a good player. Even a VERY good player. There are few better passers than him in the league, in statistical terms. Touches per match, completion percentage, range, how often the passes are going forward.... those are all among the better in the Prem over the course of a season. But that's almost all he brings. He's not a great athlete, not a great defender, and he's not press resistant. He plays deep, but he's not going to give you the defensive coverage of a true DM. He lacks the athleticism to get forward a lot, and when he does, he's just as likely to get caught out because he's not got the pace to get back. He's rather clumsy in defending, which is why he gives up penalties. When he's on the ball, he can be pressed and pressured and give the ball away, unlike someone like Santi Cazorla or even Mikel Arteta. So he's an above average player in a very specific way but he's needed to do more than that and he simply can't. In that way, he's like Ozil. He keeps getting picked because that passing from deep is rather important with playing out from the back, but without us being set up tactically to retain possession, his role has less impact.
    Yeah pretty much impossible to replace. Well.. United gave up being a well run club a couple of seasons ago to be honest with you mate so I'm happy they've finally done something positive and tied down one of the few good players we have.

I think you summed it up pretty well, Papa. I think you're spot on with Emery being a transition manager as well. 2 year deal seems to indicate it was more of a let's see how he does but let's not lock him down in case we've got to move forward and go without him kind of contract. To be honest- that's a smart move I think.

I also noticed with Emery that chops and changes his team a lot. And while it's good to adapt- he seems to switch tactics two or three times in a single game. Has to create confusion.

Very symbolic mate, I agree with you.

"LET ME IN.."

Status

Love getting a reminder that no club is "above" having absolutely shit-brained fans.... Robertson got so much abuse on Twitter after giving away a penalty in the Napoli match that he deleted his account. The fuck is wrong with some "fans"?
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Love getting a reminder that no club is "above" having absolutely shit-brained fans.... Robertson got so much abuse on Twitter after giving away a penalty in the Napoli match that he deleted his account. The fuck is wrong with some "fans"?
    Bet twitter won't do anything about it either.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Bet twitter won't do anything about it either.
    Maybe if some of the abuse included copyrighted footage. Otherwise, nope.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Maybe if some of the abuse included copyrighted footage. Otherwise, nope.
    It's sad really. I do wonder if these footballers will just make their account's private to attempt to stop some of the hassle. Keyboard warriors do have a lot to answer for.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    It's sad really. I do wonder if these footballers will just make their account's private to attempt to stop some of the hassle. Keyboard warriors do have a lot to answer for.
    Won't at all be surprised if more and more start doing that. And who can blame them?

At its best, social media is amazing. You get unique interactions you can't have happen in the real world. But at the other end.... its unbelievably toxic in ways that real world is only toxic at times.

I've also seen some supporters write off the offenders as all being "non-domestic supporters"... which is false. Many might be from far corners of the globe, but not all of the abuse is. Again, this is true of every club.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Zero confidence in us getting the win today against West Ham.

Mata & Matic again starting just kills me inside every time. How Fred can't get into that midfield I'll never know.

No Greenwood either, so it means we're down to just Rashford who since the Chelsea game has been fairly poor to be honest. Apparently Mason is ill.

"LET ME IN.."

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Deco90 View Post
    Zero confidence in us getting the win today against West Ham.

Mata & Matic again starting just kills me inside every time. How Fred can't get into that midfield I'll never know.

No Greenwood either, so it means we're down to just Rashford who since the Chelsea game has been fairly poor to be honest. Apparently Mason is ill.
    Well.. There we go, another shit performance as expected.

Slow, lethargic, no game plan, no strategy, no philosophy, no urgency and the list goes on.

I'm looking at the board and I'm especially looking at Ed Woodward and laying the blame firmly at his feet but there's no doubt that at this moment in time Ole is putting himself in a position where people are going to lose faith in him with his lack of tactics, lack of philosophy and his management and team selections.

Heading into the Arsenal game, we will be going with one striker and that's 17 year old Mason Greenwood. It's absolutely not good enough and at the end of the day, he allowed Lukaku and Sanchez to go without any replacements because he believed in the youth. The same youth that is on the bench while the likes of Mata & Matic are playing ahead of them.

Embarrassing to be a United fan at the moment and I just see a club dying with no sign of recovery because the board don't care as long as the revenue is coming in and the fans are putting money into their pockets.

"LET ME IN.."

Thread Information