Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier League 2019/2020 Discussion Thread

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    Wales

Re: Premier League 2019/2020 Discussion Thread

Looked in the game till Barkley was pulled. Pedro was United's best player when the game was tight yet stays in because he runs a lot.

Wont say much about Zouma being clumsy and Dave asleep for two goals. Hopefully with Rudiger, Kante, Pulisic and Willian back we will be okay.

Heel Champion

Status

I think you'll stay in the top 6, don't think you'll challenge for top 4 this season unless the ban gets overturned and you can sign a couple of players in January.

First half was very even, even more so when you consider Chelsea hit the woodwork twice. I can't help but feel that if Giroud had started and one of those early chances fell for him it could have been different.

Good signs for Man Utd, lots to work with moving forward too, hope this is a massive confidence boost for the whole squad. Tough game at Wolves a week tomorrow, we owe them one after last season haha.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

I thought Chelsea were the better side until Zouma decided to lose his head and give away a penalty, didn't seen Utd scoring before that. Had just one of their attempts in the first half of gone in then I think we could of seen the confidence shift and Chelsea become the ones to run out comfortable winners. They'll be fine.

Dream start for Slabhead and AWB who have slotted in nicely in the back.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Australia

After the first week, here is my Ladder prediction for this season.

1. Man City
    2. Spurs
    3. Liverpool
    4. Man United
    5. Arsenal
    6. Leicester
    7. Chelsea
    8. Everton
    9. Wolves
    10. West Ham
    11. Bournemouth
    12. Newcastle
    13. Southampton
    14. Watford
    15. Brighton
    16. Palace
    17. Burnley
    18. Aston Villa
    19. Norwich
    20. Sheffield

Status

I thought Chelsea started pretty well and United lacked fluency in attack early. But they changed it around. I'm not sure how much to credit the United attack for goals 2 through 4 and how much to credit Chelsea imploding.

Curious just how much leeway Chelsea do give Lampard. Obviously this is one result and once the squad is healthier, they should be more competitive. I completely get the why of appointing him, but it came with a risk - he didn't REALLY impress with Derby last year. He did fine, but he didn't really improve them for the season before. Makes it hard to gauge how much positive impact he will actually have on the side this year.

Also worry that Pulisic is being set up to fail, to some degree. The comparisons to Hazard are inevitable and will be damning - its comparing an established elite world class player to one who has that level of potential. Pulisic didn't have a very good season for Dortmund last year and with some gaps in the Chelsea attack, it feels like there is going to be endless and increasing pressure on Pulisic to deliver.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Say My Name

Status

Delighted with that Man Utd result and I thought we looked explosive on the counter. Of course Chelsea had chances and we were lucky to be 1-0 up at half-time but they will probably finish in the top six so you'd expect that. I still think United will finish fourth on the grounds of not conceding as many as Arsenal and Chelsea with our back four and keeper. I don't think Arsenal or Chelsea are anywhere near. Very intrigued to see how we do against Wolves away next Monday though.

Oh and here's how I predicted the table at the end of the season would look like on Twitter.

BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

Relentless Admin

Status

After one weekend I'm so glad I'm in the Championship for another year where VAR can't taint my football experience. Premier League football as we know it is over, 1992-2019 RIP, it's a new era for the game now.

I watched the highlights of Leicester/Wolves, and because of the accidental handball rule I suppose they've got to chalk off the Wolves goal, but it took them forever to reach that decision and it still comes off as harsh and talking to some wolves mates today, it brought back memories of how Albion's win at Anfield was ruined by VAR. Also in the same game, Boly has his shirt pulled in a box, but VAR didn't want to stop to check that one for a penalty. The West Ham game was a bit of a farce too, City pick up a great 5-0 away win but VAR dominates the headlines with retaken penalties and Sterling having a goal taken off him because his shoulder was a few mm's offside. Letter of the law those are the right decisions, but the game is becoming frustrating and robotic at that point.

When managers and pundits say 'all we want is for it to be quicker and consistent', ok cool but I don't think that's going to solve my big issue with the game now that you cannot celebrate goals anymore when the ball hits the back of the net, aka the best part of football and the reason we all watch it. There is always the fear that you're going to have the goal reviewed and chalked off and over time that is going to chip away at the experience of attending live games and we'll end up with a less passionate league. That to me is gonna sting a lot more than having games of football decided by a poor referring decision that you will of forgotten about the very next day. I think there's pros and cons to it, I do like the idea of big team bias should on paper be a thing of the past for big decisions, but I do believe we're gonna lose the heart and spirit of football in the pursuit of 100% accuracy with VAR.

Heel Champion

Status

I think VAR should only be used for dubious decisions, you know the ones that are gotten wrong because of the angle the ref is at etc, not to check every bloody thing.
    I have a plan so cunning......

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

The constant over use of VAR was so annoying. The ref calling for a VAR check despite it being a clear pen. Refs not understanding what clear and obvious means. I.E The Sterling offside decision. When used correctly, I'm all for it but when refs are using it as a clutch, so they don't have to make a judgement call, it's a joke.

Say My Name

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    The constant over use of VAR was so annoying. The ref calling for a VAR check despite it being a clear pen. Refs not understanding what clear and obvious means. I.E The Sterling offside decision. When used correctly, I'm all for it but when refs are using it as a clutch, so they don't have to make a judgement call, it's a joke.
    The Sterling offside decision - It was clear and obvious. Offside is offside whether it is by 10 yards or 1mm. Like if the ball has crossed the line. It either has or it hasn't. VAR will improve the game greatly and this will all die down within 6 weeks.
    BTB Achievements

Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Just to be clear, I meantt Sterling being offside for his assist to Jesus.

His arm was offside but in a split second, I don't see how that's considered obvious. And another thing. The refs said before the game, whilst showing an example of VAR use in offside, that arms don't count as being offside since you can't score with them opposed to your leg and head.

They need to clear up the rules on both things. Only flaws of VAR really.

Say My Name

Status

I don't see how that's considered obvious

Offside is offside - there's no argument here.
    BTB Achievements

Spoiler:

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    The Sterling offside decision - It was clear and obvious.
    I'm not sure you can say it was clear and obvious when it needed a frame by frame look at the move with cross hairs put down to see if he was in front of the final man or not In real time he looked onside, none of the West Ham defenders appealed for offside.

When we go back to why the offside rule even exists, it's to stop goal hanging and unfair advantages for attackers. There's not even a sniff of that happening with Sterling's shoulder being a few mm ahead of the last defender. I get you have to draw the line somewhere though.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Linekar said on motd that the offside technology isn't there yet - it's not like goal line where we know if it is a mm over the line, it is still interpretation to some extent.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Say My Name

Status

Both systems use hawkeye so not sure how they can be any different?
    BTB Achievements

Spoiler:

Underdog

Status
      Country                    France

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    Both systems use hawkeye so not sure how they can be any different?
    It's a clear fact whether or not the ball crossed the line. That is the only thing that needs to be considered.With an offside you have other factors at play such as phase of play, inactive Vs active attackers which needs interpretation to be combined with the technology.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Still buzzing with the result, dream start for Ole and the boys this season.

I'm not getting carried away at all though and I'm expecting a much more difficult game against Wolves where they will be the team sitting back and looking to pick us off like we did at times to Chelsea and that will be the test. Are we good enough to break that down?

Maguire & AWB were excellent and such an awesome moment for Dan James, I was delighted for him. Rashford & Martial off the mark as well- 20 goals each please lads! And special mention for my boy- Pogba! Two pieces of class and the game is done.

In all honesty though- If Chelsea take their chances and we go 1-0 down, it's a very, very different game. Chelsea weren't terrible- just made mistakes. Very hard to see where the goals are coming from for Chelsea though and could prove to be a mistake to allow Sideshow Bob to leave for Arsenal in the end.

"LET ME IN.."

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Dani Ceballos is having a fine game for Arsenal. Joy to watch, nice and tidy, gliding around the pitch.

Same old story though defensively for the Gooners.

Fully expect them to kick on this half and score a couple more.

"LET ME IN.."

Status

Wonderful goal by Auba, and crafted by Ceballos. I slept in so I missed the first half, although I was tempted to get up at 5:30am to watch. We are still having some of the same problems as ever, but so far, the positives are carrying us and two wins to start the season is lovely.

Ceballos is looking like an inspired loan so far. Its going to suck that we won't be able to keep him, but he looks to have added exactly what we wanted him to bring. Willock is probably the long-term replacement for Ramsey, based on what he's shown of late, but Ceballos bridges that.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status

Too soon to say Aston Villa is this season's Fulham?

"LET ME IN.."

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information