Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NWA General Discussion Thread

People's Champion

Status

Re: NWA General Discussion Thread

It seems that this show is already showing how shallow their roster is when it comes to getting it done in ring. The nostalgia wont carry it forever.

The tag team main event for last week was bad. Eddie Kingston, despite being so great on the mic, isnt great in ring. Its crazy people consider him a top wrestler in the late 2010s
    Last edited by indyfan; 10-23-2019 at 11:04 AM.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Status
      Country                    United States

Episode 3 is now out.

We got a glimpse of some new female talent in action. Wasn't much of a match to be honest. But I did like the vignette for Thunder Rosa. She looks like she'll add something interesting to the show for sure.

Dan Parker vs. Caleb Konley was a nice indie-centric match up of two dynamic wrestlers. I'll cosign what others have said about Konley in the past: he's pretty nondescript. No idea what his selling point is really meant to be. And while there have been plenty of wrestlers to thrive with no gimmick or discernable personality, they've usually been top flight in ring talents, which I'm not sure Konley is. On the bright side, NWA is doing an awesome job of making everyone feel like they're stars when they step up to the podium. So hopefully the same will happen for Konley once they give him the opportunity to speak.

The main event was another forgettable one, a lot like last week really. But what the match was lacking, I think they made up for with the story telling. Tim Storm questioning whether he could/should continue to wrestle and then Eli Drake coming out and delivering a great speech before asking him to partner up with him against The Dawsons was excellent. Then Storm eats the pin and takes a beatdown after the match, which will either push him further into considering retirement or fire him up like never before to get vengeance. The Dawsons/Kingston and Homicide storyline also gets progressed to close the show. All around good stuff there.

And once again, I have to praise NWA on the promo work. I loved the Aron Stevens promo. I actually enjoyed the interaction between James Storm and Jocephus this week. I don't really see how you rationalize Cabana coming out to imitate Storm though. Like, why would he even do that? I suppose he's the kind of guy you could believably say did it just for his own amusement but still. As I mentioned, the Tim Storm/Eli Drake segment was enjoyable. The Aldis promo was also great yet again. No question I look forward to the promos each week on this show more than I do any other wrestling program.

And kudos to NWA. I can safely say at this point that for the last three weeks NWA has accomplished far more in one hour than WWE manages to accomplish with five hours of Raw and Smackdown each week. That's really sad to say but that's the truth, the way I see it.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 KOWC // GOLDEN GOD

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post

Episode 3 is now out.

We got a glimpse of some new female talent in action. Wasn't much of a match to be honest. But I did like the vignette for Thunder Rosa. She looks like she'll add something interesting to the show for sure.

Dan Parker vs. Caleb Konley was a nice indie-centric match up of two dynamic wrestlers. I'll cosign what others have said about Konley in the past: he's pretty nondescript. No idea what his selling point is really meant to be. And while there have been plenty of wrestlers to thrive with no gimmick or discernable personality, they've usually been top flight in ring talents, which I'm not sure Konley is. On the bright side, NWA is doing an awesome job of making everyone feel like they're stars when they step up to the podium. So hopefully the same will happen for Konley once they give him the opportunity to speak.

The main event was another forgettable one, a lot like last week really. But what the match was lacking, I think they made up for with the story telling. Tim Storm questioning whether he could/should continue to wrestle and then Eli Drake coming out and delivering a great speech before asking him to partner up with him against The Dawsons was excellent. Then Storm eats the pin and takes a beatdown after the match, which will either push him further into considering retirement or fire him up like never before to get vengeance. The Dawsons/Kingston and Homicide storyline also gets progressed to close the show. All around good stuff there.

And once again, I have to praise NWA on the promo work. I loved the Aron Stevens promo. I actually enjoyed the interaction between James Storm and Jocephus this week. I don't really see how you rationalize Cabana coming out to imitate Storm though. Like, why would he even do that? I suppose he's the kind of guy you could believably say did it just for his own amusement but still. As I mentioned, the Tim Storm/Eli Drake segment was enjoyable. The Aldis promo was also great yet again. No question I look forward to the promos each week on this show more than I do any other wrestling program.

And kudos to NWA. I can safely say at this point that for the last three weeks NWA has accomplished far more in one hour than WWE manages to accomplish with five hours of Raw and Smackdown each week. That's really sad to say but that's the truth, the way I see it.
    I m not sure about WWE, but the show is becoming forgettable as far as in ring work goes. The matches are more or less bad
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    I m not sure about WWE, but the show is becoming forgettable as far as in ring work goes. The matches are more or less bad
    It's obviously not the show for fans of workrate. No debating that. But I'll give it until the Into The Fire PPV to see if they really have any dedication to the in ring action. I'm assuming they'll try to deliver some memorable matches for that event.

[Joy To The WC]

Status
      Country                    England

It's not a bad niche to fill though. Haven't seen the show to comment, but it seems the opposite to WWE/AEW's approach of great in ring, but not enough time focused on characters.

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Mid-Card Champion

Status

With an hour to fill, I don't think there's a big need for a large roster. So far, it's as if every wrestler is important. They're establishing where they all fit in the title(s) picture. I think it's fine. I know I'm not going to get a 5* match every time and that's fine. The old school storytelling is working for me at least.

Jam Up Guy

Status

I just watched this for the first time this week... and I actually really liked it. Absolutely flew by. It's not gonna give you 5 star classic or anything, but it's all a bit of harmless fun that doesn't overstay it's welcome or insult me as a viewer. I might watch it again!

Status

NWA is going live right now in case anyone is interested.

Status

Well I actually don't have a lot of positive to say about this episode. None of the promos really delivered the way they have in previous weeks and in fact, the opening promo and the Starks/Steven's segment were quite sloppy I felt.

The main event was the only match with solid action throughout. I actually liked it more than the last two main event matches but everything else on the card was really bland, especially the No DQ tag match which I knew was gonna be nothing because there's only so much they can do in that environment. It turned out to just be a bunch of slamming each other on the apron and a few bad looking chair shots. The one highlight I can remember (and I just watched it) was Kingston taking that suplex on the chair bridge.

Hoping for a turnaround next week.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

I kind of dug the ending to the no DQ match as it left a question as to what exactly the Wild Cards strategy was. I can't imagine they'd want to face either team, so perhaps they were just trying to further fuel the fire between them? Or maybe they were just trying to screw with everyone and had no plan at all.

The main was alright, and I'm fine with Colt winning as it should give us a match to build to for the PPV. On the flip side, I have no idea who's going to step up to challenge Aldis, but that's part of the fun.

The Aron Stevens stuff was terrible and I have no idea what they're doing with him. The Starks kid looked alright, so that's a positive I guess.

Jocephus still fucking sucks.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five Robert De Niro Movies~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

R.I.P. Fuji

Status

Yeah the show went down a bit but I enjoyed Trevor besting Josephus. I liked the main good enough as well as the no DQ tag match. I’m guessing somehow Eli Drake gets a title shot. Yeah I’m such a Sandow fan but holy fuck is this a miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status

Episode 5 premiering in about 20 minutes in case anyone wants to tune in!

Status

I finally got around to watching the fifth episode. I found it pretty tough to stay focused though, unfortunately. I'm sure I missed some things. But, I do have to say that the 2 out of 3 falls match between Stevens and Starks was solid and the National Heavyweight Championship match was good as well. I was pretty shocked to see the title change hands, I must say. To me, Cabana and Storm are both past their prime and really don't inspire me at all as champions. I'm sure Canana will have a decent run but I'm hoping he drops it to a hot up and comer before long, and not just drop it back to Storm or someone like Anderson or Stevens.

Jobber

Status

Ever since the Ten Pounds of Gold series kicked off, I've been loving every minute of the NWA. So far I've watched each and every week of Powerrr live on Tuesday at 6:05pm EST. I actually enjoy and look forward to Powerrr more than any other wrestling show during the week.

I love the feel, the look and the overall structure of what the NWA has to offer. The fact that they're going to be featured in the upcoming RetroMania Wrestling next year is the icing on the cake. #PS4 #XboxOne #NintendoSwitch
    Last edited by WrestleRacer91; 11-11-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I finally got around to watching the fifth episode. I found it pretty tough to stay focused though, unfortunately. I'm sure I missed some things. But, I do have to say that the 2 out of 3 falls match between Stevens and Starks was solid and the National Heavyweight Championship match was good as well. I was pretty shocked to see the title change hands, I must say. To me, Cabana and Storm are both past their prime and really don't inspire me at all as champions. I'm sure Canana will have a decent run but I'm hoping he drops it to a hot up and comer before long, and not just drop it back to Storm or someone like Anderson or Stevens.
    I see the team of Cabana and Anderson breaking up and feuding, but then one of them drops the National title to whomever the younger guy is...at least, there's someone worthy in a perfect world.

Storm is the next challenger to Aldis. Aldis is doing that pre-Horseman Flair where he's the face or heel, depending on who he's wrestling on any given night.

I'm still waiting for that young tag team to either chase or control the tag titles for a long time. I'm not sold on Lattimer/Isaacs...definitely not loving Kingston/Homicide...Eddie can talk his ass off, but would be better as a manager of a young team. I've been going back and forth about the Dawsons.

I think the new NWA wants to be about 50/50 nostalgia and present wrestlers. I think the hour is perfect. If it were longer, they'd have trouble filling the time every week.

The Maniacal Martyr

Status

I've enjoyed the episodes of nwa power, even the ten pounds of gold series, it's about character development (and I like that, save the big matches forfor the ppv for people to get invested).

Status

In some weird way it does kinda feel like they're spinning their wheels on Powerrr but when I really look at it, they've got some things brewing.

Among the recent developments, I am really liking the looks of Thunder Rosa and her alliance with Marti Belle and I am also very interested in seeing Ricky Starks take on Colt Cabana for the National Heavyweight Title. I said last week that I wasn't a big fan of moving the title off James Storm back to Colt Cabana and I'd rather see an up and comer take control of the title. Well, there's no brighter up and comer in NWA right now than Ricky Starks. He makes perfect sense as the next champ, so I hope to see that happen.

One of the biggest things this week was the debut of "The Question Mark". I feel like it would be futile to try to analyze this gimmick and guess where they're going with it. All I will say is that it seems to pretty obviously be Jocephus, so I'm not sure it's something I can really get invested in.

Now THE biggest thing this week was seeing whether or not Kamille would talk this week. She didn't. But we got some verrrry interesting developments. Eli Drake came out to the podium, I'm guessing just because he loves to talk and no one was gonna stop him, and pretty much caught everyone up on the drama with Kamille and Aldis. I really don't know what he has to do with the whole thing, but nonetheless. He's floating some conspiracies and then out comes The Wild Cards, telling Drake to mind his own business. At first I was very perplexed as to what stake they had in this whole thing and then I remembered that Kamille and Thom Latimer are getting the friction on irl. So that introduced a spicy new element to this thing. And then, to cap that off, Aldis decided to sit ringside during the Tag Title Match to ensure there was no hijinks. After the title match, a bunch of people came from the back, including Kamille and there seemed to be a lot of interrogating going on as the show faded off air. So while I have practically no idea WHERE all this is heading, I do have a lot of faith in this company to pull off a nice, intricate story. We'll have to see where things go, but they have my interest.

Jobber

Status

NWA is actually my favorite wrestling show there is right now. Who thought that would be the case in 2019 leading into 2020?!?!

Status

So NWA are starting their own pseudo-NXT style show where prospects come on, get the chance to cut a promo and wrestle a match. And apparently, it will be up to fans to help decide who gets to join NWA's roster. I definitely dig the idea but it seems like it's pretty early in this rebooted version of NWA's run to already be adding this new program. Who knows though, could work out great for them. I definitely feel they need more fresh faces to balance out the mass of ex-TNA guys they have right now.

@MyRecycledBalls

Status
      Country                    Norway

Definitely an interesting concept. I think it's a great idea and could bring some new life and interest to NWA.

I think I found another new thing to watch.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information