Thread: Great Football Memories and Moments Thread

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Great Football Memories and Moments Thread

We need a place to share some of the best memories and moments. Whether that's your club, or football in general, post your fondest memories of watching football.

For me as a Newcastle fan:

vs. Man Utd - 1996

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vAJkK7jb_k

The pinnacle of any Newcastle for many many. After losing the title in the 1995-1996 season in one of the biggest collapses in English football history, this was the sweetest victory I can remember. Of course, to a Man Utd fan this may not seem like a big deal (since they've trounced us far more times than this and they had so much success that they probably don't care about losing one battle), but this was the pinnacle of the Entertainers era of Newcastle. It's a perfect match, with a scoreline that flattered Man Utd. Five different goalscorers including a magnificent strike by Ginola, Shearer responding to boos from the Man Utd fans by putting in a perfect cross for Ferdinand (and then cheering in front of the Man Utd fans), and of course the Albert chip. The last great memory of Keegan's Newcastle.

5-1 vs Sunderland / 6-0 vs Aston Villa

Have to lump these two in together. Two seasons earlier we were relegated at the expense of Sunderland, and mocked on the final day by Aston Villa fans as we limped to relegation. On our first season back in the Premier League we got our redemption by trouncing both teams thanks to superb performances from Kevin Nolan, Andy Carroll, Joey Barton as well as a couple of goals from Shola Ameobi.

Football memories not involving Newcastle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taWe8FLvixk

The best moment I've ever seen. Nothing really comes close either, still get goosebumps today.

Okay maybe this does ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPmZeHxWR58

Final one: Bit of a sombre one, but also one that shows just how much football can unite as well as divide. This came just a few days after the Paris terror attacks and there were question marks about whether the match should even happen. It did happen, and Wembley was lit up with the French flag, and the entire stadium singing the French national anthem. Beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPbkQ220VDk

That's it for now. Will post more after some more have been posted.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Great Football Memories and Moments Thread

Well one of my fondest footballing memories was the Penalty shootout in the Champions League final with John Terry missing a penalty. I was devastated after Ronaldo missed but then JT missed and all was right in the world.

Little bitta the bubbly!

Status
      Country                    Ireland

As a Manchester United, this one will never be topped. Not a great game, and United were absolutely terrible for most of the night - probably should've been 2 or even 3 down by stoppage time, but … yeah. Football. Bloody Hell.

MERHABALAR AQ

Status
      Country                    Turkey

As a Besiktas fan you really don't get many, so you have to cherish every one of them. :D

(The 2003 championship. I was 10 back then and this was the one that made me a Besiktas fan while my dad supported Galatasaray and my mom supported Fenerbahce.)

(When we beat Manchester United's D squad...but it was in Old Trafford and as far as I can remember they had an undefeated at home streak going on.)

(The match that ended my Liverpool PTSD back from 2007. Also the season where we faced more English teams in Europe than Turkish teams in the league.)

(When Mario Gomez broke the curse and opened up the possibility of a championship.)

(The 2016 championship that came after 7 years. We als odid it while not having a stadium. -like the Tottenham situation last season.-)

(When we qualified for the CL First Knockout Stage for the first time in our history. Everything went downhill after that.)

For our National Team, there's WC 2002 and Euro 2008. The recent victory against France is sweet too.
    Worker bees can leave.
    Even drones can fly away.
    The Queen is their slave.

Relentless Admin

Status

Alright I'll do an Albion related post first and then move on:

When we needed to beat Bradford on the 45th game to make sure promotion was in our hands on the final day and got a penalty at 0-0 in injury time.

First promotion to the Premier League in 2002, beating out Wolves in 3rd to do it.

The Great Escape where we went from 20th to 17th on the final day of the season. No-one will ever have a better survival than that. My favourite ever day at the Hawthorns.

My first ever Black Country derby, the first of FOUR wins over Wolves that season, and Tony Mowbray's first game in charge starting one of my favourite manager runs at the club.

The greatest play off game ever.

Because I was too young to have a season ticket for the first two promotions, the 2007/08 promotion was my first and only time I've seen us be promoted to the premier league. Was a huge relief after the bitter disappointment of losing the play off final to Derby 12 months earlier. Sadly the last time I'd ever see Kevin Phillips play for us, ridiculous decision to let him go. Chrissy Brunt, what a captain, still with us 11 years later.

Zoltan Gera (my favourite player) makes his return after 4 years away with a stunning volley and Albion spoiled the first episode of Being Liverpool.

The greatest game of football ever. Wo1Ve5. The end of McCarthy, the end of Wolves in the prem, and the spiral effect sent them into League 1 the following year. They can have all the money in the world, and their flashy Portuguese Internationals, and their Europa League, but 5-1 and Odemwingie will always trigger them. Can't believe we haven't played them since. I guess I miss them.

My first trip to Anfield, the biggest away scalp I can recall us having, and a first glimpse at the nightmare that is VAR.

That's probably enough.

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Beast View Post

As a Manchester United, this one will never be topped. Not a great game, and United were absolutely terrible for most of the night - probably should've been 2 or even 3 down by stoppage time, but … yeah. Football. Bloody Hell.
    This one straight away. My favourite night as a young football fan.

https://youtu.be/dzMv1lqx7cs

This is mostly a "of the moment" one, but it handed us the title and I watched the whole thing on fanzone (if anyone remembers that) so the commentary was absolutely amazing

https://youtu.be/_bNBN9XlTK0

Even as a United fan, I loved this. So much love and respect between player and club on display.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    As a Besiktas fan you really don't get many, so you have to cherish every one of them. :D

(The 2003 championship. I was 10 back then and this was the one that made me a Besiktas fan while my dad supported Galatasaray and my mom supported Fenerbahce.)
    Bloody hell, that sounds like some family

For our National Team, there's WC 2002 and Euro 2008. The recent victory against France is sweet too.
    The 2008 Turkey run at Euro 2008 is a big reason why that is my all time favourite tournament. They just would not lie down and know when they were done. The waterlogged pitch against Switzerland, and the two immense comebacks against the Czech Republic and Croatia.

Man Utd's Champions League wins go without saying, especially 1999. Bayern should have buried that game long before then but if ever there was a game that summed up the annoying inevitability of Fergie's United.

The Great Escape of 2004 is a great one, Ed. Doomed at Christmas, and probably doomed at the start of the day. Watching both the Portsmouth and WBA fans celebrating together is always a treat.

Shock Reviews Archive

Main Eventer

Status
      Country                    Wales

Can’t post any videos but two really stand out for me.

As a Welshman that night in Lille and THAT goal from Hal Robson Kanu are my proudest moments to be Welsh.

And as a Blue there’s no greater moment than Munich 2012 - several players suspended, in their backyard, that Drogba header, the journey there, that penalty shootout. That night had everything and banished the ghost of Moscow. King Drogba!!

Relentless Admin

Status

Hal Robson Kanu ended up with a 4 year Albion career based off that fucking goal. Wish it had never happened.

A random goal that I always remember. It's so weird to have 'fairly' recent memories of how average Man City used to be when Richard Dunne was their Kompany before Kompany. I miss Portsmouth.

Underdog

Status
      Country                    France

Jesus - what a great thread idea. A few of mine have already been posted. Aguerooooooo. That night in Barcelona for United.

For my club side, ROtherham United, we don't have many. But this is perhaps the best. Wembley playoff final, 2-0 down at half time and Alex Revell scores a tap in followed by perhaps one of the greatest playoff final goals ever to bring us level. We went on to win on Pens

Then most of my football memories were forged in the 90s. Liverpool vs Newcastle (4-3), Keegan losing his cool. Gazza at Euro 96 and then Pearce's redemption penalty vs Spain. I've also got in here Begkamp (my fave player of all time) scoring against Argentina at 1998 world cup in France, and also France's world cup win (kind of started my love affair with the country and ended up with me moving here 2 years ago). Then a more recent one...just the Germans blowing the Brazilians out of the water in their own backyard. The noughties for me kind of all blends together so I don't have a lot of super football memories from that decade.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Absolutely love that Rotherham goal. Fantastic.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Shock Reviews Archive

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

That Germany/Brazil match is a great shout, absolutely mental scenes

World Cup 98 will always be special to me, mostly because it was the first major international tournament I watched.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Aside from so many of the amazing memories that I've had from watching United over the years, many of which have been mentioned already in the thread.

This moment gave me the best memory and feeling that I've ever had. Never have I felt so proud and emotional watching a football game

Euro 2016. Portugal are European Champions.

I never thought I'd ever see the day. Amazing!

Also I've got to say, my childhood watching the likes of Henry, Giggs, Scholes, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Zidane and so many more. So many memories.

But one player was literally a highlight reel of memories every time he graced the pitch and I could literally watch his skills and trick videos all day.

But this game, where he was pretty much unplayable and earned a standing ovation from many of the Madrid fans was unbelievable.

Speaking of unplayable, and a Brazilian getting a standing ovation- here's another one!

Great memories. And that's why we love football :D

"LET ME IN.."

Thread Information