Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Variety: Vince McMahon Out of Excuses for WWE Woes

Status

WWE Variety: Vince McMahon Out of Excuses for WWE Woes

https://variety.com/2019/tv/opinion/...es-1203273548/

Interesting that even Variety is starting to notice. The investors call for Q2 is later this week and the news is almost certainly bad. Which explains the "Raw Reunion" this week - its an attempt to up ratings for short-term good news. Wouldn't be surprised if they promise something big for Smackdown as well.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Variety: Vince McMahon Out of Excuses for WWE Woes

AH! I was wondering why this week of all weeks we're having this weird Raw reunion episode, but trying to boost the Q2 numbers does sound like a reason why they would do it. That list of excuses is laughable, Becky was hobbling out on crutches every week when she was injured. Better get the Ronda Rousey excuse ready for your conference call.

The truth of the matter is the shows are not rewarding to keep watching live, their attempt at fixes (wildcard) have made the show even worse and they don't have Cena anymore and they've failed to produce anyone that is of his level. The 2018 to 2019 comparison is damning reading because you can't really just say 'ah, it's the modern world, people have VOD services, no-one watches live now', those things all existed in 2018, those 600,000 viewers you've lost in a year are the hardcore wrestling fans you've run off with bad booking and a roster full of geeks. Just look at the job PAC and Moxley have done since they left the company to elevate themselves and become two of the most in-demand names in the world, and then I look at how unlikable they make their top names and I don't know how they make this so hard for themselves.

I will say, I do welcome AEW's debut on TV and to see how the TV ratings conversation we get online every Tuesday alters. Are they going to be anywhere close to WWE's number of viewers?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I will say, I do welcome AEW's debut on TV and to see how the TV ratings conversation we get online every Tuesday alters. Are they going to be anywhere close to WWE's number of viewers?
    For comparison sake, when WCW launched Nitro, Raw's average rating prior to Nitro in 1995 was a 3.2 rating. For the first month of Nitro, the average rating was 2.4. In that same month, Raw's average rating dropped to 2.5. So in theory, I'd say it'd be a disappointment if AEW doesn't score a rating that isn't near what Raw gets. Not being on Monday is a negative for AEW, but not having to split an audience with Raw is a positive that Nitro didn't have.

My prediction is that the first couple of weeks will have a really good rating, then it will go down some after people first give it a try, and after that will be entirely dependent on AEW whether they draw fans back in or if they fail to give fans a reason to keep tuning in every week.

The fact that TNT has a reputation of being the one channel that immediately became a challenge to Raw means similar results should be expected.

Status

I knew the investors call was coming up but didn't connect that it was this week and then yeah, the "Raw Reunion" made a lot more sense. Its a desperate ratings ploy, so they can literally just say "Hey, we've had some downs, but look at just three days ago!"

I pretty much agree - its just not worth the time. As one user put it nicely on Reddit, you can't invest because nothing matters. Nothing has consequences and nothing sticks. Can you really be shocked when someone turns, when you turn they will turn again in 3 weeks? Or when the turn today won't fit the booking tomorrow and is just forgotten?

And I don't expect massive TV numbers for AEW. It would be awesome if they did, but they will likely have a lot of ground to make up in comparison to the WWE. The WWE needs to improve their situation soon, because even if its indirect, competition on TV won't help.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

With AEW on the horizon, investors are going to be worried more and more about the future of the company. I guess this is the time WWE start changing and actually change this time. They don't have the net of being the only big company in the US anymore in order to brush off rapidly declining ratings and attendance which affects them financially too. Maybe this will be a the kick up the backside WWE need to actually try. Maybe not.

People's Champion

Status

Though its slightly un related but still kind of is.

I read somewhere that NXT is a total loss financially. They spend more on it than it brings in.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Though its slightly un related but still kind of is.

I read somewhere that NXT is a total loss financially. They spend more on it than it brings in.
    Is that surprising? I mean, its a developmental school / child company. That's really not something one would expect to turn a profit. There is a reason that companies just traditionally left it up to the indy scene to do that. The weekly show is on the network, which means no income. The big events are sporadic and can draw a good crowd, but not massive. And the small tour shows they do are... well, small. So its not like it has significant revenue streams to be bringing in major money. And it is going to be costly to have a fairly good sized roster, some of whom were making good money on the indy scene, and the overall overheard of the Performance Center itself which has to be high.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    NXT is a weird anomaly. They make the WWE zero money since the start, but they've always received such positive talk from fans. Yet, the ways NXT can make money is so minimal due to the fact that they're just on the WWE Network, so the WWE isn't making ad money and when NXT does go on the road, they only work small buildings for their house shows.

Status
      Country                    United States

I thought I heard somewhere Fox was trying to get NXT on their tv, or maybe I heard incorrectly.

Relentless Admin

Status

I just remembered they used emergency Taker recently to help ratings as well. Between that, wildcard, call ups, bringing in Heyman and Eric, they are trying all the cards up their sleeve except the ones that will have any long term effect.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I just remembered they used emergency Taker recently to help ratings as well. Between that, wildcard, call ups, bringing in Heyman and Eric, they are trying all the cards up their sleeve except the ones that will have any long term effect.
    Its actually rather astounding that they've just been pulling out all the tricks to try to make a short term difference rather than actually doing what they have repeatedly claimed they would and enact real, actual change. They don't seem capable of that. They are going Vince "good shit" their way right into serious trouble with investors.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Curtain Jerker

Status
      Country                    UK

Fingers crossed a weekly AEW show on TNT draws big ratings and gives WWE the fear. I've been impressed with AEW so far, and the changes made by WWE and their panic tactics would certainly suggest that they are feeling a bit of the heat.

Competition is good for absolutely EVERYBODY.

Cardcaptor

Status

Maybe instead of scrambling and bringing back people in their 50s and older, and trying to do the same emergency tactics they always do....

They could actually do something that'd work long term, and be interesting the the fans.
    Everything will surely be alright.

Status

So early reports are that they did indeed get a ratings bump for Raw. Havent seen numbers for SD yet. Guaranteed that they point out this weeks Raw number as an "upward trend" on the investors call.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    So early reports are that they did indeed get a ratings bump for Raw. Havent seen numbers for SD yet. Guaranteed that they point out this weeks Raw number as an "upward trend" on the investors call.

Don't have much a choice now do they?

Cardcaptor

Status

Certainly explains why they brought back Brock for the belt, as Vince is convinced that is a fix all, along with having Taker show up as well as other people able to get a senior discount. >_>

Status

So was wrong.... sorta. The Raw rating wasnt brought up directly. Vince e deflected away from much discussion of current KPIs and said "it is what it is". But apparently they have "turned the corner" creatively. Thats a bit of a surprise to a lot of us....

Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Cardcaptor

Status

The surprise will be if anything actually comes from it, and long term change occurs.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    But apparently they have "turned the corner" creatively. Thats a bit of a surprise to a lot of us....

It's easy to shit on the things Vince is saying, but taking a step back from it, I think they have made small steps to improve things. Turning AJ heel and Owens babyface is giving something more productive to fan favourites, they finally brought back Bray (which some fans are really into), they're giving Bayley a step up opponent in Ember, they took the title off of Seth which just wasn't working, this week is the best Roman has looked in months, Kofi has been given an opponent worthy of Summerslam and that feud has me really interested, Black is no longer cutting dopey promos backstage and is wrestling again. Even Baron Corbin doesn't seem to have an obvious Summerslam opponent so he might be getting cooled off for a while.

[Joy To The WC]

Status

So reading this, I'm curious.

What does Brock actually do for WWE now, apart from keeping him away from UFC? If everything is down year on year, and he's been the champ on your A- Show for 90% of the time, then surely there has to be some justification for his wage somewhere?

I mean this with all respect to Brock, he's just going where he makes the most money for the least work at this point in his life, makes sense to him. But business wise, it's baffling.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information