Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: NXT TakeOver: Toronto - Card & Discussion

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: NXT TakeOver: Toronto - Card & Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Shit I was hoping for a Spanish Fly... Code Red... Panama Sunrise off the top or something.
    If you want the Panama Surprise to be a finish, you're watching the wrong company

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    If you want the Panama Surprise to be a finish, you're watching the wrong company
    Is a Panama Surprise when the Panama Sunrise gets a 3 count?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status

I just can't help feeling like they should have broke a few more tables, maybe brought out the light tubes and razor wire. Finish wasn't really preposterous enough for me.

Hail To The King

Status

That finish scared me anyone falling from those heights plus Gargano had wire in his hand I liked the matches were really good still like the first 2 out of three falls more.

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Solid show all around imo. Only real disappointment was Shayna retaining.

I really dug the main event, thought it was killer. I enjoyed each fall. I wish TUE had left all draped in gold but this was still an overall really solid show.

Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Main event might have been the best of the Gargano vs Cole matches.

That's not a compliment either because the match was absolutely awful, just slightly less awful than the other two wankfests these two have had. Cole clearly went to the Seth Rollins school of selling, and the problems with Johnny Kickout are pretty well established now. The whole trilogy is like the anti-Flair vs Steamboat to me, and the fact that large portions of the fanbase eat this style of wrestling up kind of shows how out of touch I feel with modern wrestling.

Both the NXT Title scene and the NXT Women's title scene have been dead to me for a long time now, and it's the rest of the NXT roster that are still making these takeovers interesting.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

The Mayor of Slamtown

Status

My question now is...who's next for Adam Cole?

Gargano is probably feuding with Keith Lee.

Dream SHOULD be next but he didn't drop the NA title.

Riddle is tied up with Dain...

Seems to me it's gonna be either Pete Dunne or Kushida. I could see them doing Cole vs Velveteen Dream on the first NXT on FS1 and doing a non-finish with Dunne coming to Dream's aid against the UE...

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Canada

Being there live, I'd have to say everything was fun. I got to see probably the 2 best possible things they could've pre-taped as well. The only match everyone was dead for was Mia/Shayna. Mia just isn't established to a wide audience enough for us to care, and her working a as a heel with Shayna working clean the whole match just threw everyone off. That was definitely the bummer of the night. We all saw the cage but none of us saw the weapons, we lost our shit for that.

I think Cole's next feud is going to be something filler. Perhaps a one-off with the winner of the NXT Breakout Tournament, before setting something up for the next TakeOver. The only other scenario I see is one of the Undisputed guys turning, but they have not teased that in the slightest, so I don't see them going that route, as it would be way too out of left field. Also, UE is OVER AF. Gargano got boo'ed in the introductions LOL, it was hilarious. Maybe they randomly throw Keith Lee at him, that's the only other possible thing I see, since I doubt Dunne/Dream are done.

Relentless Admin

Status

I thought fall one of Gargano/Cole was surprisingly good, but then they didn't follow through with a worthy reason for Gargano to get himself DQ'd, Cole then blew off the knee work and they just went into hollow weapon trading spots and finisher kick outs. Riddle and Dain to me showed more hatred and fire in their 5 minute brawl than Cole and Gargano did for nearly an hour and Mauro putting this over as NXT's Steamboat/Flair just made me hate it even more because it's peak forcing an epic.

Candice/Io was the clear MOTN I thought. Everything that women's matches in WWE has been lacking since mania. Two great characters, true babyface/heel stuff, going balls out for 15 minutes with no dopey booking or interference finishes that makes both women look weaker. Io's a heel but she got to win with a kickass submission because she's simply the better wrestler.

I get the feeling Shayna's eventually dropping the title to Dakota Kai, right now that feels like the only person that makes sense if you've kept the title on Shayna this long given their history.

Street Profits/UE was very good and I enjoyed the 3 way as well. First 90 minutes of the show was excellent.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I love me a good weapon match and I was there in person, so maybe my opinion is really biased towards the match. I have read a lot of people not liking Cole/Gargano working together though.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    I love me a good weapon match and I was there in person, so maybe my opinion is really biased towards the match. I have read a lot of people not liking Cole/Gargano working together though.
    I think that's a bit of any understatement . It's one of those matches where people either think it's great or awful. Same goes for their other matches.

WWE NXT Tag Team Title Match: Street Profits (Angelo Dawkins & Montez Ford) (c) vs. The Undisputed ERA (Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly)
    The styles differences made for a good match on paper but I don't think it will lead to a good match. The start out of the match really stood out as ordinary. Not much to sink your teeth into. A few sequences felt pretty awkward and slow. The match started getting better once Era started to work on the ankle of Ford but it didn't lead to anything long term and then the match just ended. So I was ultimately left disappointed. Shame.

Candice LeRae vs. Io Shirai
    Heel Io was definitely a step up because whilst Io delivered in the matches she felt like a way inferior Kairi Sane. The aggressive manner in how Io targeted the neck of LeRae was so good. Nice use of her varied submissions, tons of kicks and even a german suplex. LeRae sold well enough although I think she didn't bring much offensively. Great finish too.

WWE NXT North American Title Triple Threat Match: Velveteen Dream (c) vs. Pete Dunne vs. Roderick Strong
    Very ambitious match. They did away with the only two people in the ring at a time trope. Some of the sequences didn't come across well but a ton of them did, like the Dream elbow/coast to coast thing. The finish was great as well.

WWE NXT Women's Title Match: Shayna Baszler (c) vs. Mia Yim
    Well, this is the Shayna show. Yim had zero fire to her, her selling was non-existent, unlike Baszler who’s selling was great, and she was pretty much a lump. Yim can have great matches, with Baszler in fact but this was a let down from her. I loved Baszler though. Great selling, I adored her switching up her finishing choke from her arm to the leg due to her arm, good work on the arm. Just needed a better Yim showing.

Dakota Kai beating Shayna is a good shout, Ed. Makes sense too. All for it.

WWE NXT Title Best Two Out Of Three Falls Match: Adam Cole (c) vs. Johnny Gargano
    The first fall was decent, much better than I've previously seen from either guy in a while. Cole’s selling was good at the start but he then started using the bad leg to hit moves that he really shouldn't be doing with the bad leg, so disappointing from him there. Gargano pretty much offered nothing. His leg work was fine but you never really believed that he'd get the tap so why bother? The finish came out of nowhere though. The second fall was the usual boring WWE plunder brawl where they walk and punch each other, move and repeat. And all the usual table and barricade spots. Yawn. None of the leg work in the first fall mattered, nor was it sold or mentioned again. So disjointed. The third fall was pretty much everything I expected. Excess on top of excess. Unnecessary near falls. Totally contrived spots on to egregious level. Just bad.

The match overall was pretty bad. The first fall as decent and was a good catalyst for the rest of the match but they pretty much abandoned everything they set up and started going back in the “we're the best in the world” cloud. The final fall was gross. This was very much a disjointed match that went way too long between two guys who aren't very good, so like their other matches but better.

Looks like Gargano is gone from NXT now, thankfully. I'll be thankful to see Gagrano go from having 40+ minute main events to 3 minute match on Main Event, if I'm honest.

If one thing is for sure, NXT needs a change.

WAKE UP

Status

Really enjoyed the first hour of the show but the quality massively dipped after that. And no, I didn't watch the main event.

TUE vs Street Profits was really good. Liked how they set up some sequences you see in a hundred other matches but did things slightly different, like the sport where all four throw down, and the spears leading to the finish. Was impressed by Dawkins in this. Loved O'Reilly's diving knee to Ford's legs to set up the huge kneebar attempt. Is Kyle the best tag wrestler of the past several years? Feels like the NXT Tag titles are the most consistent titles for awesome matches in wrestling.

Thought Shirai vs Candice was awesome and Shirai in particularly was really great. She has a tonne of charisma and really put this match over with her expressions and emotion. Lots of big nasty spots and the execution was way better than most of the womens matches still in 2019. Dug the new submission finish. Excited to see what they do with Shirai next.

Riddle vs Dain brawl was great and I'm really excited to see them finally have a match. Shame they got bumped from having a proper match but King Of Bros is super over.

Triple threat was fine. A bit long and very typical WWE triple threat with a bunch of one-on-two or two-on-one spots. It was fine. Not sure what they do with Dream now.

Baszler vs Yim was bad. Both boring and awkward. This was the first time I've seen Yim and I thought she was pretty terrible. I'm a fan of Shayna but this was a bomb and they really need to do something new with both her and this title. Yim can go to the back of the queue.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Really enjoyed the first hour of the show but the quality massively dipped after that. And no, I didn't watch the main event.

TUE vs Street Profits was really good. Liked how they set up some sequences you see in a hundred other matches but did things slightly different, like the sport where all four throw down, and the spears leading to the finish. Was impressed by Dawkins in this. Loved O'Reilly's diving knee to Ford's legs to set up the huge kneebar attempt. Is Kyle the best tag wrestler of the past several years? Feels like the NXT Tag titles are the most consistent titles for awesome matches in wrestling.

Thought Shirai vs Candice was awesome and Shirai in particularly was really great. She has a tonne of charisma and really put this match over with her expressions and emotion. Lots of big nasty spots and the execution was way better than most of the womens matches still in 2019. Dug the new submission finish. Excited to see what they do with Shirai next.

Riddle vs Dain brawl was great and I'm really excited to see them finally have a match. Shame they got bumped from having a proper match but King Of Bros is super over.

Triple threat was fine. A bit long and very typical WWE triple threat with a bunch of one-on-two or two-on-one spots. It was fine. Not sure what they do with Dream now.

Baszler vs Yim was bad. Both boring and awkward. This was the first time I've seen Yim and I thought she was pretty terrible. I'm a fan of Shayna but this was a bomb and they really need to do something new with both her and this title. Yim can go to the back of the queue.
    The Breakout Star Tournament winner has a shot at any title they want, so there's either that for Dream if the winner doesn't choose the world title, or there's a 1 on 1 with Dunne. Those seem like the only 2 likely scenarios in my eyes.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Greece

Find it rather strange that Dunne took the fall in the triple threat. Could this mean that Strong will continue to feud with Dream for the NA Championship?

#WC4Horsemen

Curtain Jerker

Status

I thought overall top to bottom the card was good, not quite up to par with other Takeovers but still very good.

Enjoyed the tag match very much, I get a little concerned with the Street Profits because I don't want them to fall into a trap where Montez Ford just becomes a spot monkey because of his athleticism. Dawkins will need to improve a bit if that ends up happening. Though that throw he had of O'Reilly onto Fish was awesome, sent KOR halfway across the ring in the air.

Io v Candice was MOTN, as mentioned by everyone. Io as a heel has worked well, and was excited to see Candice on a Takeover card in a proper match. Hope they don't go the route with Candice that they took with Johnny. Everyone loved Johnny (and probably still do, I personally like him) but the kickout spots got a little excessive at points, and the way they booked him took the steam off the character he had like when he was wrestling Andrade & Ciampa. Please don't do that with Candice, cause she can go in the ring.

Triple Threat was fine, all 3 guys had some shine it worked well. Felt a little odd that Dream didn't drop the strap (figured he would be next for Cole) so I wonder where they go from here with him, most likely the Breakout Tournament winner is my guess. Dunne & Strong I have no idea where they go, I could honestly see either going to face Cole next, they teased dissension in the UE a couple months back but then pretty much got dropped for nothing. I'd rather that have a long slow burn than a rushed breakup if they went that route (I'd prefer they don't break them up at all. UE is super over, specifically Cole).

Mia Yim v Shayna Baszler honestly I thought was flat out terrible. There was no chemistry there whatsoever, and it felt a bit sloppy and very disjointed. Mia Yim just gets zero reaction, the character is very bland, and nobody has any reason to care about her or her matches, which is a shame cause she can have good matches. Baszler I'm a little concerned about, she sold very well here, but all her matches on Takeover just haven't had that extra something that puts it over the top and makes it special. They need to let her strike a bit more, when she fought MMA that was her specialty was striking, not the ground based mat wrestling, which is why Ronda had a bit of an easier transition to the main roster. Still a fan os Baszler and honestly she is massively improved might be better than Ronda overall, but I also would like to see her drop the title, just not sure to who. Dakota Kai makes sense.

Cole v Gargano was good but it was just that. First fall was good, besides that what you would expect. I honestly knew the third fall was in trouble the minute they started the match and said that the only way to win was pinfall, not having the added possibility to climb out and escape kind of set that fall up for failure. Agree with pretty much everything else everyone said, though I think in the Gargano v Cole feud, NXT Takeover 25 was their best. Only thing I would say is I didn't actually mind the DQ finish to the first fall, they just failed on the follow up, would've been much more effective if Gargano wails on him, gets a quick pinfall in the second fall like I'm talking maybe a 1 to 2 minute total match, and immediately go to the 3rd fall at 1-1. Gargano presumably on his way to the main roster, felt that way at least, we will see where Cole goes from here.

My only question, and I honestly am not sure, but where does Tommaso Ciampa stand in terms of recovery? I know it was major surgery and would take time to come back but is November (assuming thats the next Takeover) a realistic timeline for him to come back and challenge Cole?

I don't really see a next feud lined up for Cole, but Ciampa would make the most sense if he was fully healthy to come back. Other than that who knows for Cole.

Mid-Card Champion

Status

I heard Ciampa was out till like early to mid 2020, so he won't be back for the next TakeOver.

Mid-Card Champion

Status
      Country                    Ghana

NXT TakeOver: Toronto definitely proves why Toronto why we are a wrestling town...I mean the fans were into the matches from start to finish and not to mention the atmosphere is why we should host future NXT TakeOver shows but then again I doubt SummerSlam tonight is gonna be as good as TakeOver was.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Gyimah View Post
    NXT TakeOver: Toronto definitely proves why Toronto why we are a wrestling town...I mean the fans were into the matches from start to finish and not to mention the atmosphere is why we should host future NXT TakeOver shows but then again I doubt SummerSlam tonight is gonna be as good as TakeOver was.
    I can't say the crowd impressed me more than your standard NXT crowd does tbh.

Meltzer called the main event self-indulgent. That's when you know you've failed at that match type if Dave doesn't even like it.

The EST of WC

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by CGS View Post
    To be fair the last 2 matches also started off fine. The problems began and got worse the longer the matches went on.

On saying that part of me expects this match to actually be ok in the end. (it can’t be any worse). The third fall stip has given me a bit of hope.
    lol.

This Gargano/Cole trilogy truly is marmite. Everyone i've seen has either called the three matches some of the greatest stuff ever produced or absolute dogshit, no inbetween. Mauro going full Joey Styles certainly didn't help things either.

Heel Champion

Status

I'm a huge Takeover mark and I can't deny. I loved the show. Like others I thought this was gonna be the first ever 6 match takeover with Myles/Grimes. But I realise now it'll be on the next episode. NXT Tag Teams as an opener always delivers and this one was no different. The Street Profits have been ever improving and man when I first saw them I thought the team was all Montez Ford. But now Angelo Dawkins is standing out in his own right and is an amazing hot tag. The undisputed era were great as usual, surprised however that the champions retained. So straight up, I was a huge fan of Io Shirai as a face but man she is owning it as a heel. What I like is she's not playing the same person just bad, she's had a total revamp. The match with Candice felt like it'd be a squash at first but I'm glad they instead went all out. Both women killed it! Fantastic match! The brawl between Dain and Riddle was a ton of fun to watch. The feud between them has been very good so far, can't wait to see them in the ring for a match.

Seeing Austin Theory in the crowd was great. Obviously he is still with Evolve at the moment, but there is no denying that he will be NXT bound in the near future. Kid's the full package. Had high hopes for the triple threat match going in and the bout very much lived up to that. Dream is a show stealer, Dunne is always great and Roderick Strong is consistently great. Truly enjoyed this match but again I'm surprised not to see an Undisputed Era member leave with gold. I know it's been divisive but I enjoyed the NXT Women's title match. Shayna and her reign has been built so well that in many ways she reminds me of a much more heelish variant of the Asuka champion mould. I liked how Mia Yim gave her a different kind of challenge and that finish was brilliant. Curious to see who they bring for Shayna next. Thought the main event was an epic. They've done a great job with Gargano's character lately and this match played it well. The feud ended well and honestly this felt like the swan song for Gargano. He has to move up now with that.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread Information