Thread: JCP Great American Bash (July 5) 1986 Review

Great American Bash JCP Great American Bash (July 5) 1986 Review

Great American Bash
    July 5, 1986

Before we start, a bit of a history lesson on Great American Bash as the event did change over the years. Starting in 1985, the very first one was just a random supershow. Between 1986 and 1987, Great American Bash was extended into being a full fledged tour of all events in July and a bit in August. For the home videos in 1986 and 1987, JCP would simply pick random matches from the tour and put it on the video tape without it being a full show. Then in 1988, the GAB tour was highlighted by the Great American Bash PPV event. So technically, while there is one main show that everyone is referring to when talking GAB 1988, there’s plenty of additional non-televised events that were GAB 1988 too. This format continued with GAB 1988 and 1991-1992. For whatever reason, 1990 was just one PPV event without a tour attached to it. Despite being a significant annual event for JCP/WCW, Eric Bischoff did away with GAB in 1993 where it remained gone for 1994 as well. Then in 1995, it was brought back as just one individual PPV event without a tour in 1995 where it remained a tradition into the final WCW GAB in 2000. Of course, WWE brought back the Great American Bash PPV name from 2004-2008 before shortening the name to just “The Bash” in 2009 and finally doing away with it for good after that. Got it? Good. Onto the show!

We kick off the event with a showcase of some skydiving team that just leaves me shrugging. Apparently this team is looking to win the world championships in Australia.

Denny Brown © vs Steve Regal - NWA World Junior Heavyweight Title
    Brown originally won the NWA Junior Heavyweight Title from Mike Davis back at Starrcade 1984...sorta. Over in NJPW, The Cobra was still recognized as the NWA Junior Heavyweight Champion, not to be confused with the WWE Junior Heavyweight Title, which was currently vacated due to Dynamite Kid leaving for AJPW, that was also in New Japan. Since then though, NJPW and the NWA officially split (Despite NJPW working with JCP/WCW and NWA again fairly soon), which would kill the Japanese recognition of the title, allowing Brown to be seen as the undisputed NWA Junior Heavyweight Champion. For a title that means jack shit, it sure is confusing to keep up with. Anyways, Regal is not Lord Steven Regal, but rather the former AWA Tag Team Champion and AWA Light Heavyweight Champion. This was hardly an interesting way to kick off the event. Regal showed off some swell heel tactics such as lying about Brown cheating when Brown was on offense and then turning around and cheating when it was Regal’s time to be on offense, but otherwise, it was just Regal controlling the match by killing time with some headlocks. Once the announcer began announcing how much time was left, it was pretty clear that the match was going to end in a time limit draw. Despite this, neither man had any urgency in the final stretch. This is particularly bad in the case of Regal since he’s supposed to be wanting to win the title, but he’s wasting time by still slapping on headlocks with only a couple of minutes to go! Brown got back on offense at the very end, but it’s just mindless punches and leg drops. Finally, the time limit is reached and the bell rings. The pair continues to fight, acting as if it’s just too big of a grudge for them to stop, but there’s zero heat for this. Perhaps some of the smaller territories found success with their own Junior/Light Heavyweight divisions, but watching these 80s shows, the Juniors division never seemed over in America. ¾ *

Black Bart © vs Robert Gibson - Non-Title
    Bart is the current NWA Mid-Atlantic Champion, but the title isn’t on the line. I imagine it’s because there’s no way Bart is going over Gibson, but there’s also no way that Gibson is winning the title since he’s above it. I imagine at one point, the Mid-Atlantic Championship was important, but in watching these mid 80s shows so close to the demise of the title, the title feels so pointless. The match was fine, completely forgettable, but...fine. Bart dominated while Gibson got in little hope spots here or there to get the crowd excited at the prospect of Gibson on offense. Bart would keep cutting Gibson off until Gibson abruptly won with a middle rope crossbody. Seemed like any ordinary TV match. **

The Andersons vs Sam Houston and Nelson Royal
    Arn is the current NWA TV Champion. I previously saw Houston and Royal team up in the Crockett cup 86 with the pair losing fairly easily to The Midnight Express. This time out, Houston and Royal lasted longer against The Horsemen, but they were still dominated. Early on, it was Houston being kept in the ring and pummeled by The Andersons. Eventually, he’d get a tag to Royal and although Royal managed to hang in a fight against both Andersons longer than expected, he too was overwhelmed and forced to spend the time in the match as the face-in-peril. This time out, The Andersons worked over Royal’s arm and his pec for extra punishment. It’s all around pretty decent stuff since it’s textbook Andersons. Once Houston got the hot tag, the crowd reacted big causing him to get in a flurry of offense. However, after ducking a punch by Arn and rolling him up, the referee is too busy trying to get Royal back out of the match, causing him to fail spot Ole coming off of the top rope, nailing Houston in the back of the head. The shot to Houston allows Arn to pin him to win the match. Predictable match, but very solid. ** ¾

Manny Fernandez vs Baron Von Raschke w/Paul Jones - Bunkhouse Match
    The Raging Bull had been a buddy of Jimmy Valiant in Valiant’s never ending war with The Paul Jones Army. In general, The Paul Jones Army is about to undergo some pretty major changes come the fall of 1986 with Manny turning heel and joining the group, Baron turning face and leaving the group, and Rick Rude joining the company and becoming a member. This was simply put a fight. Both men are decked out in their street clothes, which looks particularly odd on Von Raschke since it’s the first time I’ve seen him wear something as ordinary as a shirt and jeans. Both men would use their boots and belts to pummel the other. Manny would bleed first, but naturally Baron would be bleeding soon afterward. The match was fun for what it was, but it was literally just two guys brawling with Baron’s jeans falling down (Luckily it looked like he was wearing his tights underneath), getting bloodier, and using the belts and boots. Manny would win after countering a Baron suplex from the apron into the ring with a small package. I wish I could easily find more Manny vs Horsemen matches. That would be far more appealing to me than just The Raging Bull vs The Paul Jones Army. ** ½

Jimmy Garvin w/Precious vs Wahoo McDaniel - Indian Strap Match
    These two had been feuding for a few months. From what I can gather, the feud is built around Garvin badmouthing Wahoo and challenging him to fights when he knows that Wahoo isn’t at particular buildings. Much like the previous match, there’s not much to this other than it’s a fight. Again, both men bleed and there’s a bit, but not a whole lot of usage of the strap. It’s mostly just brawling until Wahoo ties Garvin’s hands up and walks to all four corners to win the match. Precious tried to interfere before the final turnbuckle, but her weak shots had little affect on Wahoo. ** ¼

Tully Blanchard w/JJ Dillion vs Ron Garvin w/Wahoo McDaniel - Taped Fist Match
    Tully is the NWA National Champion, but I don’t believe the title is on the line. Although we don’t typically see the full entrances, each wrestler is driven to the ring on a golf cart. In the case of Garvin, he’s driven by a young Dustin Rhodes, looking more like Cody Rhodes (With dark hair) than Dustin. In this taped fists match, it’s three rounds of a few minutes per round with a rest period between each. For what this was, this was tremendously fun. The first two rounds is nothing but Garvin destroying Tully with punches. Blanchard is a punching bag with him excelling at bumping all over for each pump. It’s repetitive, but it’s so much fun. The only two things saving Tully in these first two rounds are the round stoppages and Dillion constantly there to wake Tully up, even if it means pouring water on him. Once we get to the third round, Garvin is wanting to end this beatdown, but in doing so, ends up having to be pulled off of Tully. That allows the National Champion to toss Tully to the outside and to get in some offense. Clearly, Tully can’t win an one-on-one boxing match with Garvin, but when he sorta cheats by doing other things, he can hang in there suddenly. The third fall sees Tully suddenly in charge and poor Garvin bleeding. In the fourth fall, Garvin has enough of Tully’s shit and starts no selling his punches. This builds up to a double knock out after Tully flies off of the top rope, only to be hit in mid air by Garvin, while Tully punches Garvin. It’s then ruled that there must be a winner, so the announcer makes it official that the first man to his feet will be the winner. That causes the fans to cheer on Garvin wildly. Dillion jumped into the ring to try and help Tully, but Wahoo is there to dump water on Garvin, helping Garvin recover to get to this feet to win the match. It’s a very gimmick match, but it was nonstop fun. Tully as a punching bag never got old. *** ¼

After the match, an irate Dillion gets on the mic to threaten the crowd if they keep chanting “I Quit” (I presume in relation to Tully losing the I Quit match against Magnum TA back at Starrcade 1985?). With his water bucket now empty, Dillion decides to toss it at referee, Tommy Young.

The Road Warriors w/Paul Ellering vs The Russians - Double Chain Match
    Since Crockett Cup 86, Hawk and Animal (With Dusty Rhodes) defeated The Russians to win the NWA Six Man Tag Titles. Much like the Indian Strap Match and the Bunkhouse Match, this was purely a fight. Luckily, since Hawk and Ivan were chained up and Animal and Ivan were chained up, for whatever reason, it kept my attention more than those other two matches. I was shocked that only Ivan ended up bleeding when I fully expected everyone to be. It’s a total war that built up to a ref bump and Hawk sent to the outside. Nikita briefly removed himself from his chain to nail a Russian Sickle on Animal, but since the referee took too long to recover, Ivan gave up on his cover and opted to climb to the top rope. Since the Russians were already cheating, Ellering decided to cheat as well, pushing Ivan off of the top rope, crotching him on the rope. That allows Animal to pin him for the victory. I think part of what helped this match is that it was Road Warriors vs The Russians, which meant the crowd had every reason to care. Not much to this, but who doesn’t appreciate a good war? ***

Jimmy Valiant vs Shaska Whatley w/Paul Jones - Hair vs Hair Match
    Shaska is better known as Pez Whatley. Whatley and Valiant were partners in feuding against the Paul Jones' Army until Whatley turned on Valiant after he believed Valiant was racist. Whatley changed his name and joined Jones' and company. This match structure is super simple, yet effective. Whatley jumped Valiant before the bell and cheated at every turn. Every chance Jones gets, he's interfering behind the ref's back. At some point, Valiant gets busted open. Since Whatley is super cocky, he keeps failing to get the pinfall because he's doing weak covers. Every once in awhile, Valiant would get in a hope spot before Whatley would squash him back to the math. Finally, Valiant makes his comeback, knocks down Jones from the apron and slaps on the sleeper on Whatley. At some point, the referee, Earl Hebner, gets bumped to the outside. That allows another member of the Paul Jones' Army, Baron Von Raschke, to run out. He pulled out his loaded glove, but before he can use it on Valiant, Manny Fernandez makes the save. During all of this chaos, Valiant picks up Rasche's glove and uses it to knock out Whatley as payback for all of the cheating. That gives Valiant the victory over his former friend. It's a very one sided match, but everything went off so well. It's a great storytelling match. ** ¾

After the match, a bunch of babyfaces, including Robert Gibson, Ronnie Garvin, Sam Houston, and others, run out to keep The Paul Jones Army at bay and help Valiant shave the head of Whatley. Whatley is shaved bald (To be honest, it's a better look for him) and the faces leave. Whatley's over the top reaction to his hair loss once he wakes up is fantastic.

Dusty Rhodes, Magnum TA, and Babydoll vs The Midnight Express and Jim Cornette w/Big Bubba Rogers - Cage Match
    Despite being a cage match, tags are still enforced. What this allows is for Babydoll and Cornette to technically be in the match without really doing much at all. Instead, it’s mostly about Magnum in the in by himself. Early on, he managed to get in some decent offense, over powering the NWA Tag Team Champions. Before long though, Magnum is forced to be the face-in-peril being busted open in the process. Since this is JCP in 1986, MX bleeds as well. Blood for everyone! Although I did enjoy MX’s long time on offense, if there’s one flaw of the match, it’s that it didn’t really have a finishing stretch. Instead, Magnum mustered up a bit of a comeback, but when he performed a sunset flip on Eaton, that brought in Condrey to break up the fall, bringing in Rhodes to fight Condrey off. With all hell breaking loose, Babydoll, whose biggest role thus far in the match was rubbing Condrey’s face against the cage while he bled, jumped into the ring and tossed Cornette into the ring to quickly best him and pin him for the victory. It’s really abrupt especially since we never saw a hot tag and Babydoll/Cornette weren’t the legal people. It’s a bit lame really especially after a lot of hard work by Magnum and MX. The actual finish itself, Babydoll pinning Cornette, is ideal, but we missed the lead up with both getting tagged in. The match is fine though. Out of the two Great American Bash 1986 shows added by the WWE Network, the other one has the far more interesting Magnum match. ** ¾

After the match, Dusty makes the mistake of leaving the cage first, allowing him to be jumped by the heels. Big Bubba ends up decking an already bleeding Dusty.

Ric Flair © vs Ricky Morton - Cage Match - NWA World Title
    This match was previously released on the Ric Flair & The Four Horsemen DVD made by the WWE back in 2007. Looking back, I feel like such a fool for not buying the DVD then due to thinking it looked like a weak release. When I later reviewed this match in 2011, I gave it **** ¼ stars and praised it pretty hard. That DVD in general was greatly underrated by me. This match also has one of the most iconic entrances of all time as the NWA World Champion arrives via helicopter. I suspect it’s because it didn’t take place at a PPV, but this entrance doesn’t receive enough talk in best entrances of all time. This one has a backstory as back in late May during an elimination match against the Horsemen, Morton ended up having his nose broken. We’re now in July, but Morton’s nose is still in bad enough shape that his nose is taped up and he’s wearing a protective mask ala Detroit Pistons Richard Hamilton. So now, not only does Morton have a chance to get some revenge, but the cage will allow him to brutalize The Nature Boy and potentially take his title. The first ten minutes is all Morton as he uses the cage to get some payback. Naturally, Morton even focuses on the nose of the champion, twisting it and scraping Flair’s face against the cage. Everything is going well until Flair realizes that he’s in trouble, so he goes after Morton’s weakness - his nose. Removing Morton’s mask and the nose tape to suddenly turn the tide. Flair, being the asshole that he is, even briefly wears the mask and teases wearing one of Morton’s bandanas showing that he’s enjoying toying with Morton, while the challenger is in pain on the mat. Despite all of this abuse on Morton’s nose, he’s able to make a comeback to cause the fans to go more crazy. Flair gets busted open and it feels as if Morton could get the pinfall at any moment. Much like Ronnie Garvin’s no selling, Morton is getting over his intensity and desire to not allow his own pain keep him from winning. But, he’s dealing with The Dirtiest Player in the Game and in the end, Morton is too much of a good guy to beat such a villain in Flair. With a quick ref bump, Flair crotches Morton on the top rope and then covers him with his feet on the middle rope to retain his title. It’s a hell of a match, especially when you consider the fact that Morton was severely an underdog. Since this is part of a tour, I suppose they could have had Morton win the NWA Title here and then lose it at another GAB event, but it ultimately doesn’t matter. Flair gets a great title defense while Morton proved that he could be a worthy B-contender for the NWA Title. I do feel as if I came away from this match slightly less impressed than the first time I saw it, but I imagine that’s because I knew to expect a great match now, but when I first saw it, I foolishly didn’t even think it’d be anything more than average. If you never bought the Ric Flair & The Four Horsemen DVD back in the day, you can now easily watch this match, which you should. ****

Overall
    Judging this as simply a show as part of a tour, rather than a PPV, this edition of Great American Bash came off really well. It started rough enough with a pair of poor matches in Regal/Brown and Gibson/Bart, but things improved with the third match and remained solid with a few highlights with the Horsemen leading the charge. The Andersons match isn’t a must watch, but I’d easily recommend watching Tully/Garvin and Flair/Morton. Once I get around to watching the other GAB 86 event added to the WWE Network, I’ll have a better idea where this particular GAB event compares to other similar events. Until then, it’s a treat getting these non-PPV 1986 shows added to the WWE Network.

Bonus Match

When JCP released this Great American Bash 1986 VHS, it contained matches from three events - July 5th, July 26th (The other GAB event added to the WWE Network), and July 1st. The contribution from the July 1st event only had one match, but considering what that match is and the fact that, at least for now, that event isn’t on the WWE Network, I figured I might as well review that match here.

Ric Flair © vs Road Warrior Hawk w/Paul Ellering- NWA World Title - Great American Bash 1986 (July 1st)
    This would be from the first show in the GAB tour. Going into the GAB 86 tour, there were two big stories set to unfold during the tour. The first is the Best of 7 series between Magnum TA and Nikita Koloff over the NWA US Title. The series ended up lasting longer than the GAB tour, but the first five matches did take place in the tour. The second story is Ric Flair having to defend his title a lot. Throughout the tour, he’d have to defend the title against...Road Warrior Hawk, Dusty Rhodes, Nikita Koloff, Ricky Morton, Road Warrior Animal, Wahoo McDaniel, Robert Gibson, Ronnie Garvin, and Magnum TA. In the case of Dusty and Morton, it’s multiple matches and different gimmicks including regular matches, cage matches, and Texas Death Matches. With this first match, you can really tell that Flair’s match layout with Hawk is pretty similar to Flair’s matches with Sting and Lex Luger with Hawk using his power to dominate Flair with a ton of press slams. From there, Hawk also slapped on a headlock to kill a bit of time. The change of the match saw Hawk attempt a middle rope closeline, but Flair ducked, causing Hawk to crash into the mat and momentum kept him flying to the outside, landing on some plywood covering the cement floor. Now it’s time for Flair on offense and it’s pretty solid with Flair briefly working over the leg, but when the Figure Four didn’t work, due to Flair being caught cheating by hanging onto the top rope, Flair alters his strategy by using a sleeper. The commentary team, which had been absent on the full July 5th event, notes how unexpected this is since Flair isn’t sticking to the leg work. Hawk takes some abuse until he’s able to attempt a flying shoulder tackle, but again, Flair managed to avoid one of Hawk’s big flying moves, but poor Tommy Young wasn’t so fortunate. Young’s hit and sent to the outside. With the referee out, Hawk continues his offense on Flair, performing an Argentine Back Breaker, dropping down on his knees and covering Flair. Young crawled back into the ring and called for the bell, causing the crowd to erupt. Everyone thinks we have just witnessed a NEW NWA World Champion being crowned, only for Young to pull Hawk’s arm down, with the announcement that Flair won by DQ. I imagine because of the accidental shoulder block to Young? If that’s the case, that’s pretty BS. However, it’s still a good match where you knew Flair couldn’t lose in his very first title defense during this tour. Much like their Bunkhouse Stampede ‘88 match, Hawk isn’t able to produce a great match with Flair, but does succeed in being carried to a good Flair defense. The finish is lame, but it’s not as if I expected a Hawk win in the slightest. ***

Status

Re: JCP Great American Bash (July 5) 1986 Review

Interesting timing. I am just watching through Starrcade 1984 and watching some of the Bash stuff from this period is something I was going to take a look at.

One thing I find fascinating is that JCP had a pretty dammed strong roster at this point (and almost any point up til they became WCW), but the matchups are... not the strongest? Nice that they still managed some good matches out of it.

I have to say that I have yet to really "get" Jimmy Valiant. I will have to watch this one, but he just seems like a very very mediocre worker who dances and the fans love him for that?
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    One thing I find fascinating is that JCP had a pretty dammed strong roster at this point (and almost any point up til they became WCW), but the matchups are... not the strongest? Nice that they still managed some good matches out of it.
    It's also one of sixteen shows as part of the Great American Bash tour. I will say that on paper, the second show the WWE Network added, July 26th, resembles a more traditional supershow in its matches. On that show you get:

The Andersons vs The Rock 'n' Roll Express
    Tully Blanchard vs Ronnie Garvin - Taped Fist
    Jimmy Garvin vs Wahoo McDaniel - Indian Strap Match
    Jimmy Valiant vs Paul Jones - Hair vs Hair (Although Whatley was the full time wrestler then, not Jones, the fact that Valiant had been feuding with Jones makes this the bigger match)
    The Road Warriors and Babydoll vs The Midnight Express and Jim Cornette - Cage Match (Admittedly, Babydoll with LOD seems weird and should have just been Paul Ellering instead)
    Nikita Koloff vs Magnum TA - NWA US Title - Best of Seven Series match
    Ric Flair vs Dusty Rhodes - NWA World Title - Cage Match

I have to say that I have yet to really "get" Jimmy Valiant. I will have to watch this one, but he just seems like a very very mediocre worker who dances and the fans love him for that?
    I mean, that mostly describes Dusty as well. Valiant was a personality and felt very authentic. When I watch these old JCP shows, Valiant never really puts on a good match, but he serves a role where he offers something you're not exactly getting elsewhere. Thanks to the fact that he feuded with Paul Jones for years, Valiant was never really in any title picture, so for a guy of his "Quality" he was kept away from the important matches. It's the direct opposite of what was done with Dusty Rhodes' booking. The loss of the Valiant/Jones feud is one of the biggest differences between JCP and early WCW.

Backyarder

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    It's also one of sixteen shows as part of the Great American Bash tour. I will say that on paper, the second show the WWE Network added, July 26th, resembles a more traditional supershow in its matches. On that show you get:

The Andersons vs The Rock 'n' Roll Express
    Tully Blanchard vs Ronnie Garvin - Taped Fist
    Jimmy Garvin vs Wahoo McDaniel - Indian Strap Match
    Jimmy Valiant vs Paul Jones - Hair vs Hair (Although Whatley was the full time wrestler then, not Jones, the fact that Valiant had been feuding with Jones makes this the bigger match)
    The Road Warriors and Babydoll vs The Midnight Express and Jim Cornette - Cage Match (Admittedly, Babydoll with LOD seems weird and should have just been Paul Ellering instead)
    Nikita Koloff vs Magnum TA - NWA US Title - Best of Seven Series match
    Ric Flair vs Dusty Rhodes - NWA World Title - Cage Match

I mean, that mostly describes Dusty as well. Valiant was a personality and felt very authentic. When I watch these old JCP shows, Valiant never really puts on a good match, but he serves a role where he offers something you're not exactly getting elsewhere. Thanks to the fact that he feuded with Paul Jones for years, Valiant was never really in any title picture, so for a guy of his "Quality" he was kept away from the important matches. It's the direct opposite of what was done with Dusty Rhodes' booking. The loss of the Valiant/Jones feud is one of the biggest differences between JCP and early WCW.

The Baby Doll/Cornette angle was one of the biggest storylines of the 86 bash. The Midnight Express had called out Dusty Rhodes on TV. Dusty nswered the call, with Baby Doll, and got in the ring. There was a fight which Dusty controled but eventually the Midnights took over. Baby Doll jumped in to help Dusty and, while being manhandled by Eaten, Cornette jammed the but of his tennis racket into her stomach. This generated a ton of heat in the weeks leading up to the Bash. Everyone wanted to see Baby Doll kill Cornette. The way they did it was with two scenerios.

First, The Midnight Express wrestled The Rock and Roll Express at several Bash and bash related card with the stipulation that if the Rock and Roll Express won then Baby Doll and Cornette would have a 5 minute match.

Second was Baby Doll teamed up with one or two partners to take on Cornette nd the Midnight Express. At one card Dusty and Baby doll took on Cornette and Eaton. At another Magnum TA and Baby Doll took on Cornette and Eaton. Then there was the matches like you mentioned where Baby Doll would team with Dusty and Magnum TA, The Rock and Roll Express or the Road Warriors to battle Cornette and the Midnight Express. Often in a cage. And I believe Baby Doll beat Cornette every time and got her revenge.

So you see it made sense for Baby Doll to team with the Warriors and not Ellering. Looking at it now it might seem odd but back then it was spot on and a huge angle.

Also, tag team steel cage matches in every organization other then the WWF had actually tags because the matches ended in pinfalls or submissions. It was a normal match just in a cage. Only the WWF really used the over the top/out the door stipulation back then.

If this works here s the start of the Baby Doll/Cornette fued.

"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."
    -- Linus van Pelt

Quote Originally Posted by ServantofTwilight View Post
    So you see it made sense for Baby Doll to team with the Warriors and not Ellering. Looking at it now it might seem odd but back then it was spot on and a huge angle.
    I still disagree.

Looking at all of the Baby Doll matches during the Great American Bash tour, the ones with the Road Warriors stood out the most. Throughout the tour, we saw the following matches:

- Baby Doll vs Jim Cornette - A straight up singles match, making complete sense.

- Baby Doll and Dusty Rhodes vs Jim Cornette and Bobby Eaton - A tag match with Baby Doll teaming up with the man she manages, again, perfect sense.

- Baby Doll, Dusty Rhodes, and Magnum TA vs Jim Cornette and The Midnight Express - A six person tag with Baby Doll teaming up with the man she manages and his best buddy, makes sense to me.

- Baby Doll and The Rock 'n' Roll Express vs Jim Cornette and The Midnight Express - RnR aren't as logical choices as Dusty and his buddy, but RnR doesn't have a manager, so it's not as if she got in the way of a more logical partner. Makes good enough sense.

- Baby Doll and The Road Warriors vs Jim Cornette and The Midnight Express - So not only is she not teaming with the man she manages, his good buddy, or even a team that doesn't have a manager, but she's taking the spot from a manager who would sometimes team with The Road Warriors, including both just before and just after the GAB tour.

The last one sticks out like a sore thumb. Just because the Baby Doll/Cornette feud makes sense doesn't mean the choice of partners is just as reasonable. Besides, we're just a couple of months removed from Cornette using a tennis racket to smash Animal at the Crockett Cup, giving The Road Warriors and especially Ellering a reason to want revenge.

Backyarder

Status

I still disagree.

Looking at all of the Baby Doll matches during the Great American Bash tour, the ones with the Road Warriors stood out the most. Throughout the tour, we saw the following matches:

- Baby Doll vs Jim Cornette - A straight up singles match, making complete sense.

- Baby Doll and Dusty Rhodes vs Jim Cornette and Bobby Eaton - A tag match with Baby Doll teaming up with the man she manages, again, perfect sense.

- Baby Doll, Dusty Rhodes, and Magnum TA vs Jim Cornette and The Midnight Express - A six person tag with Baby Doll teaming up with the man she manages and his best buddy, makes sense to me.

- Baby Doll and The Rock 'n' Roll Express vs Jim Cornette and The Midnight Express - RnR aren't as logical choices as Dusty and his buddy, but RnR doesn't have a manager, so it's not as if she got in the way of a more logical partner. Makes good enough sense.

- Baby Doll and The Road Warriors vs Jim Cornette and The Midnight Express - So not only is she not teaming with the man she manages, his good buddy, or even a team that doesn't have a manager, but she's taking the spot from a manager who would sometimes team with The Road Warriors, including both just before and just after the GAB tour.

The last one sticks out like a sore thumb. Just because the Baby Doll/Cornette feud makes sense doesn't mean the choice of partners is just as reasonable. Besides, we're just a couple of months removed from Cornette using a tennis racket to smash Animal at the Crockett Cup, giving The Road Warriors and especially Ellering a reason to want revenge.
    The Road Warriors didn't need revenge against Cornette as they won that match and went on to win the Crockett Cup. Had the Warriors lost you might have had a point.

Second it would have made no sence putting Ellering in against Cornette as Ellering was a former wrestler and was in great shape. There may have been about a second of interest in seeing Cornette getting beat but not as much as what they went with.

You are forgetting that The Road Warriors and Dusty Rhodes were not only great friends but at the time were the NWA World Six Man Tag Champions. Made perfect sense for the Road Warriors to step in and help Rhodes and Baby Doll in their time of need.
    "There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."
    -- Linus van Pelt

The Road Warriors didn't need revenge against Cornette as they won that match and went on to win the Crockett Cup. Had the Warriors lost you might have had a point.

Second it would have made no sence putting Ellering in against Cornette as Ellering was a former wrestler and was in great shape. There may have been about a second of interest in seeing Cornette getting beat but not as much as what they went with.
    JCP literally ran The Road Warriors and Paul Ellering vs The Midnight Express and Jim Cornette a couple of weeks after the GAB tour ended.

You are forgetting that The Road Warriors and Dusty Rhodes were not only great friends but at the time were the NWA World Six Man Tag Champions. Made perfect sense for the Road Warriors to step in and help Rhodes and Baby Doll in their time of need.
    I didn't know I forgot something I literally mentioned in this review.

Backyarder

Status

JCP literally ran The Road Warriors and Paul Ellering vs The Midnight Express and Jim Cornette a couple of weeks after the GAB tour ended.
    Actually, The Road Warriors and The Midnight Express had a program which started mid April and ran through The Great American Bash. Starting at about the 13th The Road Warriors challenged The Midnight Express for the Tag Titles. The teams traded DQ wins. This went on until mid May when the Road Warriors and Rhodes won the 6 man title and then The Road Warriors toured Japan. Once the Japan tour was done The Road Warriors came back for the Great American Bash, where they primarily wrestled the Russians and The Horsemen. On smaller house cards which were not part of the actual tour The Road Warriors challenged The Midnight Express once again. The only time, to my memory, during The Bash that the two teams crossed paths is in the 6 man tag matches with Baby Doll.

So if you wanted to prove some point about them wrestling, I probably would have went with that program rather then the one after The Bash.

But if you want to go with that one...they really didn't have that big of a program. The Midnight Express attack the Road Warriors in mid October on TV and injure Animal, I believe. This was done to explain why The Road Warriors would be gone( they went on another tour of Japan ). When they returned, and Animal was healed(kayfabe) they had their match at Starcade 86 on the scaffold. After Starcade they had a small program with several more scaffold matches in January. Then they went to 6 man tag matches with Dusty Rhodes teaming with The Road Warriors vs The Midnight Express and Bubba Rogers. Then they were done.

All this happened and with the exception of the Starcade match not many people knew.
    I didn't know I forgot something I literally mentioned in this review.
    I know you mentioned it. That was not what I meant but I was not very clear so I will try again.

You defend her tagging with Magnum Ta by saying he was Dusty's best buddy. But I think you are forgetting that Rhodes and the Warriors were good buddys. They often teamed together or Rhodes would often tag with one or the other of the team. Often Rhodes would wear make up when tagging with the Warriors. It was the Road Warriors who assisted Rhodes in getting revenge on The Horsemen by helping him break Ole Anderson's leg. The Road Warriors were good buddy's with Rhodes, tagged with him, held a title with him, helped him in fueds...yet you think it makes no sense for them to help out in Rhodes's, and Baby Doll's, fued with the Midnight Express.

On a non arguement/debate question...Are you saying these two cards you reviewed are currently on the WWE Network? Do you know if they will be releasing more of the Bash 86 cards?
    -- Linus van Pelt

Actually, The Road Warriors and The Midnight Express had a program which started mid April and ran through The Great American Bash. Starting at about the 13th The Road Warriors challenged The Midnight Express for the Tag Titles. The teams traded DQ wins. This went on until mid May when the Road Warriors and Rhodes won the 6 man title and then The Road Warriors toured Japan. Once the Japan tour was done The Road Warriors came back for the Great American Bash, where they primarily wrestled the Russians and The Horsemen. On smaller house cards which were not part of the actual tour The Road Warriors challenged The Midnight Express once again. The only time, to my memory, during The Bash that the two teams crossed paths is in the 6 man tag matches with Baby Doll.

So if you wanted to prove some point about them wrestling, I probably would have went with that program rather then the one after The Bash.

But if you want to go with that one...they really didn't have that big of a program. The Midnight Express attack the Road Warriors in mid October on TV and injure Animal, I believe. This was done to explain why The Road Warriors would be gone( they went on another tour of Japan ). When they returned, and Animal was healed(kayfabe) they had their match at Starcade 86 on the scaffold. After Starcade they had a small program with several more scaffold matches in January. Then they went to 6 man tag matches with Dusty Rhodes teaming with The Road Warriors vs The Midnight Express and Bubba Rogers. Then they were done.

All this happened and with the exception of the Starcade match not many people knew.
    Why are you trying to give me this big feud background when my reply was simply in response to all of your reasons why it wouldn't have made sense for JCP running The Road Warriors and Paul Ellering vs The Midnight Express and Jim Cornette when that's a match that JCP legitimately booked?

The Road Warriors were good buddy's with Rhodes, tagged with him, held a title with him, helped him in fueds...yet you think it makes no sense for them to help out in Rhodes's, and Baby Doll's, fued with the Midnight Express.
    Where did I say it makes no sense? You're choosing to ignore a 3,500+ word review of an event in favor of going after a casual comment I made to another poster when telling him the matches found on the other GAB card. Here's all I said about the issue, which you apparently see as me claiming that it makes "No sense":

"Babydoll with LOD seems weird"

"should have just been Paul Ellering instead"

"the ones with the Road Warriors stood out the most"

"The last one sticks out like a sore thumb"

"Baby Doll/Cornette feud makes sense doesn't mean the choice of partners is just as reasonable"

You're choosing to argue over something that I've essentially just stated as a team that stands out as not being as obvious as all of Baby Doll's other partners during the tour. In post #5, I went over all of her matches and gave reasons as to why all of her other matches stood out less than the times she teamed with The Road Warriors. When you dismissed my claim that it would have been logical for The Road Warriors to team with Paul Ellering against MX and Jim Cornette, since such a match wouldn't have made sense to book, I replied back with the fact that it was a match that the company booked in that time period.

Despite all you've said in this thread, it doesn't change the fact that Baby Doll teaming with The Road Warriors was the oddest match of her GAB tour. I never said it makes no sense though. A pairing that wouldn't have made any sense would have her been teaming with say...The Russians. The fact of the matter is that unlike Dusty Rhodes, Magnum TA, and The Rock 'n' Roll Express, The Road Warriors had a normal non-wrestler (Or perhaps a more fitting description for Ellering is a semi-retired wrestler turned manager) that was their go to partner when they needed a non-wrestler partner. That partner is someone they teamed with before and after they teamed with Baby Doll, including against MX and Cornette.

I'm used to and cool with posters disagreeing with my reviews and opinions, I've certainly gotten plenty of that with Ed, but it's pretty frustrating that the thread is nothing but a debate over a tiny comment I made in informing another poster about matches for another show.

On a non arguement/debate question...Are you saying these two cards you reviewed are currently on the WWE Network? Do you know if they will be releasing more of the Bash 86 cards?
    As stated in the review, both GAB shows are on the WWE Network.

As far as whether any additional GAB shows being added to the Network, I have no idea. Considering they made such a point about adding these two shows on the Fourth of July, it seems unlikely that they'll be adding any more any time soon. If another GAB show gets added (Perhaps next year?) I imagine the one with the best odds of being added is the August 1st event since like the other two shows, it's the only other GAB shows that were featured on the home video release. The Network tends not to give much advance warning. Case in point, news of the GAB shows being added to the Network only came out less than a day before they were added. There tends to be more notice with the dumps of old weekly shows, but these awesome supershows that have been popping up on the WWE Network over the last seven-ish months, haven't received much hype prior to their surprise release.

Backyarder

Status

Sorry this took so long. I often get to go on message boards but seldom have time to give a good responce.

Why are you trying to give me this big feud background when my reply was simply in response to all of your reasons why it wouldn't have made sense for JCP running The Road Warriors and Paul Ellering vs The Midnight Express and Jim Cornette when that's a match that JCP legitimately booked?
    Nice try, but no. You brought up he past and future. I just responded. When I said that leading into the GAB there was no storyline given to The Midnight Express and The Road Warriors( The Midnight Express did not have a storyline other then Baby Doll ) you first suggested the racket shot in The Crockett Cup could have caused The Road Warriors to want revenge. I called nonsence as the shot barely hurt Animal, The Road Warriors won the match and the tournemant.

Next you said that The Road Warriors and Midnight Express worked an angle a couple of weeks( although it was really a couple of months ) after the GAB I pointed out that if JCP really wanted to have an angle between the two teams at The GAB that they actually worked a program leading up. They didn't. So it would not have made more sense to have two matches between The Road Warriors/Ellering vs The Midnight Express/Cornette out of nowhere. Yes the matches themselves had been done at smaller house shows, but not at any of The GAB main cards.

The fact that you brought up one match several months earlier or a program several months after is somewhat puzzling.

Where did I say it makes no sense? You're choosing to ignore a 3,500+ word review of an event in favor of going after a casual comment I made to another poster when telling him the matches found on the other GAB card. Here's all I said about the issue, which you apparently see as me claiming that it makes "No sense":

"Babydoll with LOD seems weird"

"should have just been Paul Ellering instead"

"the ones with the Road Warriors stood out the most"

"The last one sticks out like a sore thumb"

"Baby Doll/Cornette feud makes sense doesn't mean the choice of partners is just as reasonable"
    I am going to tell a little story. Once upon a time I was involved in a debate on another site 9 years ago in a thread asking who you prefered, Flair or Savage. A fellow poster made the assertion that all Flair matches were boring and long. Filled with rest spots and that Flair was carried by alot of his oppenents. In our discussion I said that he was impling Flair sucked. He quickly shot back that he never said Flair sucked. I agreed that he did not say those words but could not for the life of me figure out how he thought a wrestler/entertainer was boring and needed to be carried but that he didn't suck. I asked him and said I would withdraw my statement if he could explain. I got crickets.

I kind of feel that is what is happening here. True, you never said it made no sence but...lets look better at what you said. When you take away the supernatural aspects of the definition of the word weird you are left with strange, bizzarre, unusual, peculiar or strikingly odd. You also said it stood out( not in a good way ) from the others and stuck out like a soar thumb. You also suggested that The Road Warriors as partners were not necessarily resonable.

So please, after all that how is me suggesting you meant that The Road Warriors teaming with Baby Doll made no sense is so unreasonable that you dedicated a responce to it.

You're choosing to argue over something that I've essentially just stated as a team that stands out as not being as obvious as all of Baby Doll's other partners during the tour. In post #5, I went over all of her matches and gave reasons as to why all of her other matches stood out less than the times she teamed with The Road Warriors. When you dismissed my claim that it would have been logical for The Road Warriors to team with Paul Ellering against MX and Jim Cornette, since such a match wouldn't have made sense to book, I replied back with the fact that it was a match that the company booked in that time period.
    Bold: Because that was what I disagreed with. You want me to disagree with you over something I don't?

Italics: Yeah, but you leave out information that might change some of your conclussions.

Underline: I already responded to this point above.

Despite all you've said in this thread, it doesn't change the fact that Baby Doll teaming with The Road Warriors was the oddest match of her GAB tour. I never said it makes no sense though. A pairing that wouldn't have made any sense would have her been teaming with say...The Russians. The fact of the matter is that unlike Dusty Rhodes, Magnum TA, and The Rock 'n' Roll Express, The Road Warriors had a normal non-wrestler (Or perhaps a more fitting description for Ellering is a semi-retired wrestler turned manager) that was their go to partner when they needed a non-wrestler partner. That partner is someone they teamed with before and after they teamed with Baby Doll, including against MX and Cornette.

Bold: And just because you state your opinion as fact does not make it so. I believe The Rock and Roll Express were worse teammates then The Road Warriors.

Italics: This is pointless. Obviously The Road Warriors make more sense then the Russians. You are being way to literal. watch...Randy and Bill Mulkey would have made more sense to be Baby Doll's partners then The Russians as they were jobber faces, were actually starting to get a small following( which would lead to their minor push into Crockett Cup 87 ) and were not fueding with Dusty and Magnum TA. But it would still make no sense for them to tag with her during The GAB. Now obviously The Mulkeys are not on the same level as The Road Warriors but it illustrates the point that, if we are not being super literal, a team can both make sense and not make sense given the context of the arguement.

Underlined: And if it was The Road Warriors feuding with The Midnight Express then fine, but it wasn't. It was Baby Doll's feud. The Road Warriors, Dusty's good friends, were helping with that feud.

I'm used to and cool with posters disagreeing with my reviews and opinions, I've certainly gotten plenty of that with Ed, but it's pretty frustrating that the thread is nothing but a debate over a tiny comment I made in informing another poster about matches for another show.
    And yet you have answered me three times. If you really are that bothered by this line of debate then don't post back. Yet you do which leads me to think...

1. You are not as bothered as you say.

2. You really don't like being questioned or

3. You need to have the last word. So I tell you what...earlier I stated that I think The Road Warriors made more sense then The Rock and Roll Express to be Baby Doll's partners. I have reasons. However I will keep them to myself. I won't post in this thread again unless you request my reasons. You can respond, tell me how wrong I am and if you don't ask me to reply you can have the last word. Or just don't post again in a debate you really don't like. Choice is yours.
    -- Linus van Pelt

Thread Information