Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changes You Most Want to See

Status

WWE Changes You Most Want to See

Around a week ago, I almost made a rant thread about all the things that annoy me about the WWE product. I didn't bother because I honestly didn't care enough. But.... with ratings and attendances becoming concerning, we have two new "Executive Directors". Whether they have any real power to enact notable change is yet to be determined, but the general buzz about both Raw and SmackDown this week seems to be positive.

So to be a bit more positive, I ask... what changes are you most hoping to see in the WWE in the near future? Not necessarily ones that have to be enacted by Heyman and Bischoff. Can be creative, character, presentation, whatever. Just curious to see what people want to see change.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

WWF- 1991 And Beyond

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Changes You Most Want to See

It may seem like something minor, but I really wish they’d bring back pyro to begin the shows and also the theme song video packages. I am tired of the cold opening to the shows- it doesn’t make them seem like a big deal, just gives it another bland episode feel.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Vince McMahon out and less Blood Money-type stuff would be neat.

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

End the wildcard rule. That's my biggest issue with the product at the moment. It's leading to some talents being overexposed and a lot of other talents lower on the card being underutilized, as well as making a brand split redundant. Great wrestlers like Asuka, Kairi Sane, Buddy Murphy etc cannot get any TV time but we can trot out Shane and Drew twice a week.

Merge some titles. It's impossible for all these titles to feel important, I accept that, but some of them feel downright pointless. There is no need for 3 versions of a tag team title, and what happened to the womens tag belts being something that was supposed to be defended on all brands? The US and IC title could easily be merged into one title also.

A change to the set so that the shows don't look exactly as they did 5 years ago and ideally something that differs Raw to Smackdown in a way that isn't just ring rope colour. They might already be doing this with the recent Braun/Lashley angle.

Drastically reduce the amount of airtime for Shane McMahon and Baron Corbin. Shane is an embarrassment and Corbin is way way overpushed. Anyone who thinks Corbin is a good heel has no understanding of what a heel's role is in a wrestling company.

Let the wrestlers be themselves more. Instead of doing a standard promo in the ring we've seen a million times or an interview backstage that follows the pattern of blonde interview asks a question and the wrestler repeats the question back to them (so wrestler X how do you feel about facing wrestler Y tonight?' 'how do I feel about facing wrestler Y, let me tell you...'), film more genuine stuff in the same manner as the WWE 24, chronicle or 365, especially for babyfaces. Finn Balor in WWE 24 showed more character range and likability than any scripted promo in 5 years of WWE TV has done for him. On the same sort of point, don't make foreign wrestlers speak in broken english in promos if they aren't fluent, they just come off as awkward, an Andrade promo in English does nothing to help him, let him speak in Spanish with subtitles on. Same for Asuka/Kairi/Nakamura.

Stop holding onto dross talent. Mike Bennett and Jinder Mahal shouldn't have WWE over a barrel for 5 year contract extentions, 5 years ago they'd of been expected releases. They're not good wrestlers and you don't have to worry about AEW or NJPW picking them up. These aren't game changers and holding onto all the talent you can, while signing plenty of people up to NXT creates this issue where you keep calling wrestlers up but because no-one is released you get a lot of unhappy wrestlers in catering that can't get TV time.

Mixed Match Challenge Season 3 baybay

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Less of the soulless/robotic matches that don't have any creativity and are micromanaged. This mostly goes for the main events more than the mid-card matches, to be fair.

Simple but feuds that make sense week to week. You shouldn't be saying "what" or "huh" at any big development.

The wildcard

And yeah, the blood money connection
    Last edited by MC 16; 07-04-2019 at 12:36 PM.

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

I agree with you about the wild card rule. Titles I don’t have an issue with as long as they have he brand split

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Squash Fodder

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    Around a week ago, I almost made a rant thread about all the things that annoy me about the WWE product. I didn't bother because I honestly didn't care enough. But.... with ratings and attendances becoming concerning, we have two new "Executive Directors". Whether they have any real power to enact notable change is yet to be determined, but the general buzz about both Raw and SmackDown this week seems to be positive.

So to be a bit more positive, I ask... what changes are you most hoping to see in the WWE in the near future? Not necessarily ones that have to be enacted by Heyman and Bischoff. Can be creative, character, presentation, whatever. Just curious to see what people want to see change.
    I came so close to posting this exact thread within the last couple of days, but frankly there is so much I'd like to see changed, and probably so much that I'd leave out something obvious due to not being able to remember it all that I decided not to because it would end up resembling a thesis.

But, you've started it so here we go, in no order of importance (just for everyone information, I'm currently about 7 weeks behind, having just watched MITB yesterday, but everything here should apply unless anything has drastically changed within the last month and a half:

• As BattleTank says, it may be a minor thing in the grand scheme of things, but all those minor things add up to a much greater whole. The brand theme song and video introduction, and then the pyro at the start of the show was always a nice start, gets you pumped up and tells you you're in for 2 hours (as it was back then) of exciting action. The occasional cold open then feels much more important because it is being done for a reason.
    • Bring back superstar entrance pyro, be that just for the main eventers, or those for whom pyro adds to the entrance.
    • As Ed says, end the wildcard rule. It is a crap idea anyway, but they implemented it at a time when a callup of 7/8 superstars from earlier in the year were already appearing on both shows, as well as having the 2019 shakeup. With the trades happening over a few weeks with some superstars getting traded then traded back again, the early year callups appearing on both brands and then adding in a wildcard rule, I genuinely don't know at this point what show several of the superstars actually belong on. It's become an absolute clusterfuck.
    • Have an obvious senior ref on each brand again. It used to be Chioda on Raw, Robinson on Smackdown. When they were refereeing a match it told you that this was a match of importance. They would almost always get the main title match if there was one on the show, or whatever the main event match was. This also goes with having the commentators speak about the refs more like they used to as well. I used to know the names of all the refs on each show. You had 4 or 5, but you knew all their names.
    • Have the commentators sell the match and the competitors more like they used to. They seem to just bicker amongst themselves all the time these days instead of selling the ongoing action. Jim Ross may be a shadow of his former self these days, but back when it was JR/King and Cole/Tazz they (Jr especially) would sell the superstars best traits and cover over their deficiencies. Renee and Graves seem to spend 90% of commentary time giving each other jibes and talking about stuff completely irrelevant to the match taking place.
    • Have feuds and storylines that actually have some semblance of continuity and logic. Most feuds these days seem like slightly different versions of the same thing and there is just no nuance to them.
    • Go back to a proper full brand split. Solo PPV's with only the big 4 being dual branded (5 if you count MITB).
    • Get Raw back to 2 hours and reduce the amount of content in general. There is just far too much content these days. More quality not quantity.
    • Put more effort in to mid-card feuds and allow midcarders, lowercarders etc... more chance to get their characters across and see how the fans take to them.
    • Stop with all these glorified money-grabbing house shows like Super Showdown.
    • Go back to having it feel like an actual show with characters who are different to who they are in real life. Today you get Drew McIntyre calling Roman Reigns 'Joe' and the commentators telling us Dolph Ziggler is currently off doing standup. This is one for UK folks but if I'm watching Eastenders, you don't see people going up to Max and asking him about his appearonce on Strictly Come Dancing, or someone going in to the Vic and calling Mick 'Danny' and asking him about this new BBC Gameshow he's presenting.
    • Stop advancing and building feuds on social media. Not everyone is glued to social media and it sometimes feels like those of us who aren't are missing out on why certain feuds are happening or why one superstar is annoyed with another. Basically, at least try and present some form of kayfabe.

If it were up to me I'd go back to the days of having the cruiserweights on SD, and the Women on Raw. That was one big thing that falls in to the remit of differentiating the brands. None of this having titles that can be defended on both brands bullshit.
    Last edited by sebsy; 07-04-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Scotland

The Smackdown fist, or anything at all that makes Raw & Smackdown look different.

Status

Not really surprised, but really agree with a lot of these. I don't think there are any so far that I feel like would make things worse.

I would settle for these.

-move away from completely scripted promos. At least allow the talent to contribute to the writing process so its more natural. I've heard about how great Roman Reigns is at public speaking if he isn't forced to follow a script that not written in a way natural to him. I'm sure loads of talent are the same as him and Finn Balor in that regard

-less Shane McMahon (20 minutes segments on each of Raw and SD this week... again). Less Baron Corbin. Stop making every babyface push a "against all odds" and keep HAVING TO FEATURE McMAHON'S IN EVERYTHING THAT "MATTERS".

-evolve the presentation. Ed mention the same backstage interview format being used forever. So much is like that. Its all "The WWE Way" but its an area where they can not only evolve but differentiate the two main shows

-be willing to adapt pushes in a positive way. When a push isn't working and it becomes obvious, they will at least sometimes change directors. Not if its Baron Corbin of course, but in a lot of cases. But very rarely do they shift plans for someone who gets over unexpectedly. That tends to get punished more than taken advantage of.

-be more consistent. You aren't writing for 8 year olds. Some basic storytelling logic and consistency week to week would go a long way. Show that things matter. Its hard to care about a lot of the stuff they give us because they prove again and again that it doesn't matter.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Less of the soulless/robotic matches that don't have any creativity and are micromanaged. This mostly goes for the main events more than the mid-card matches, to be fair.
    This is my big issue but I wouldn't limit it to just matches. It's the same for everything on the shows: everything feels planned to the second. Promos are scripted and wooden. Commentary is wooden and packed with the latest buzzword or character catchphrase the WWE want to push. "They call him the Beast Slayer". No, they don't. You do because you want it on a t shirt.

Every wrestler has to look at the right camera, and point the right way when doing their finisher. Every entrance a wrestler makes is identical to the one they made the week before.

WWE doesn't allow their own product to breathe and develop organically.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Jam Up Guy

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    This is my big issue but I wouldn't limit it to just matches. It's the same for everything on the shows: everything feels planned to the second. Promos are scripted and wooden. Commentary is wooden and packed with the latest buzzword or character catchphrase the WWE want to push. "They call him the Beast Slayer". No, they don't. You do because you want it on a t shirt.

Every wrestler has to look at the right camera, and point the right way when doing their finisher. Every entrance a wrestler makes is identical to the one they made the week before.

WWE doesn't allow their own product to breathe and develop organically.

Yeah, pretty much this. The guys in the WWE are, in theory, at the absolute top of their profession. They've probably worked harder and sacrificed more than most of us can imagine. Give them the space to show why you hired them in the first place. Give them the freedom to differentiate themselves and make a genuine connection with people. When everything is a bland, homogenised drone of nothingness it's hard to get invested.

That said, the change I most want to see is actual, definable, definitive, consistent, organic characters. If I describe a wrestler from the past as a "beer swigging borderline psychotic redneck who hates authority", you probably know who I'm taking about. How are you describing anyone now? What characteristics does anyone have? That's so crucial to getting people to emotionally invest in your product.

And with that borderline-psychopath, you know what was great about him (apart from everything?) His character naturally evolved. He went from terrifying heel to beloved babyface while keeping the foundations of who he is the same throughout. He didn't turn face and immediately become a plucky underdog with funny one liners. He stayed a total badass, just reigned it in a bit and pointed it at bad guys. And because he'd stay consistent, it meant you could invest in him. You wouldn't have invested in him if he'd suddenly change character out of the blue. It meant everything that happened around him was important, that it mattered.

That, actually, would be another of mine. Consequences. Everything now seems entirely consequence-free. Titles are props that are put on whoever. Wins and losses don't mean anything. People go from arrogant heels to plucky underdog babyfaces just because their alignment changed. This era is arguably the best the actual wrestling has ever been (from a technical standpoint, not from an emotional investment one), and yet people are turning away in droves because there's no reason to check in. If someone loses a match at a PPV, so what? They'll win another one. You wouldn't stick with any entertainment product if almost literally nothing of importance ever happens.

Honestly, the fact that the things I want are characters, consequences and everything not to be a bland homogenised mess, that's pretty damning that they can't hit that incredibly low bar.

Quote Originally Posted by sebsy View Post
    [*]Go back to having it feel like an actual show with characters who are different to who they are in real life. Today you get Drew McIntyre calling Roman Reigns 'Joe' and the commentators telling us Dolph Ziggler is currently off doing standup. This is one for UK folks but if I'm watching Eastenders, you don't see people going up to Max and asking him about his appearonce on Strictly Come Dancing, or someone going in to the Vic and calling Mick 'Danny' and asking him about this new BBC Gameshow he's presenting.
    I don't know, I'd kinda love it if an American shows up in Walford and hears Max speaking, doing a double take and telling him that he sounds just like the GEICO Gecko.

Since some have mentioned sets, my biggest complaint in recent years are all of the video walls. They're everywhere now. Not only the Titantron, but the entrance ramp, the ring apron, and I believe even the ring posts. All you see when you look around is video walls. With the exception of Wrestlemania, all of the sets are just altered graphics shown on those damn video walls. I prefer something physical in changes and those holograms aren't the answer either. Whether it's the Smackdown fist, the swinging hooks in the Backlash set, or the crumbling building set for Armageddon, I love it when you tuned into a show and you saw very clearly different sets, without just additional items like ladders or a phone booth being pulled out of storage for MITB or UK shows.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by sebsy View Post
    back to having it feel like an actual show with characters who are different to who they are in real life. Today you get Drew McIntyre calling Roman Reigns 'Joe' and the commentators telling us Dolph Ziggler is currently off doing standup. This is one for UK folks but if I'm watching Eastenders, you don't see people going up to Max and asking him about his appearonce on Strictly Come Dancing, or someone going in to the Vic and calling Mick 'Danny' and asking him about this new BBC Gameshow he's presenting.
    "This isn't Mick Carter talking to Phil Mitchell, this is Danny Dyer talking to Steve McFadden!"

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

For the people backstage to get behind people who tick more boxes in the Pro Wrestling handbook. While the current landscape of Pro Wrestling is mostly one dimensional workers there are still enough wrestlers around who bring more than one tool to the table. The Miz, Samoa Joe, Bray Wyatt, Rusev, Kevin Owens, Bobby Roode, etc. They're real Pro Wrestlers, they can go in the ring AND they can cut a promo, and work a character, and have personality, and have charisma.Start pushing less one dimensional workers like Seth Rollins, and start getting behind more real Pro Wrestlers like Samoa Joe.Far too many aspects of Pro Wrestling are largely ignored thesedays in favour of people who just chain together as many flips and nonsensical spots as possible, and cant do anything else. Though apparently Heyman is high on Richochet so things look like it'll just be more of the same old, same old.

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    For the people backstage to get behind people who tick more boxes in the Pro Wrestling handbook. While the current landscape of Pro Wrestling is mostly one dimensional workers there are still enough wrestlers around who bring more than one tool to the table. The Miz, Samoa Joe, Bray Wyatt, Rusev, Kevin Owens, Bobby Roode, etc. They're real Pro Wrestlers, they can go in the ring AND they can cut a promo, and work a character, and have personality, and have charisma.Start pushing less one dimensional workers like Seth Rollins, and start getting behind more real Pro Wrestlers like Samoa Joe.Far too many aspects of Pro Wrestling are largely ignored thesedays in favour of people who just chain together as many flips and nonsensical spots as possible, and cant do anything else. Though apparently Heyman is high on Richochet so things look like it'll just be more of the same old, same old.
    Ditch the "Real pro wrestlers" label. I get what you're implying, but any time you mentioned that term, it discredits what you're trying to get across when somehow Bray Wyatt, a guy who has only wrestled in the WWE system, is more of a "Real pro wrestler" than Seth Rollins, a guy who has been a fifteen year pro that started in the smallest of indies, slowly advancing to bigger indies, before finally coming up into the WWE where he worked both developmental and main roster.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Ditch the "Real pro wrestlers" label. I get what you're implying, but any time you mentioned that term, it discredits what you're trying to get across when somehow Bray Wyatt, a guy who has only wrestled in the WWE system, is more of a "Real pro wrestler" than Seth Rollins, a guy who has been a fifteen year pro that started in the smallest of indies, slowly advancing to bigger indies, before finally coming up into the WWE where he worked both developmental and main roster.
    It's just how I look at it. I mean Rollins is a 15 year pro who still can't cut a promo, who still can't work a character. You can't really put him in the same category as someone like Bray Wyatt who can do everything. Rollins is a glorified acrobat, there's so much more to pro wrestling than just ring work, even if the industry itself is pretending otherwise.

Status

I feel like Bray Wyatt was really bad for several years. Honestly after the novelty of the Wyatt Family died down about 6 months or so after their debut he quickly became one of the worst things going imo. Only now with the new gimmick do I have a renewed interest in him but it still remains to be seen if he can wrestle a watchable match.

Squash Fodder

Status

I feel like a good chunk of the Wyatt character failing is down to WWE.

Such an interesting character, but when he is made to lose every single feud he is in for the first couple of years of the character, and just pushed poorly in general, it kind of ruined the character for me.

I saw someone else say once that a good way to have used him would have been to actually have him wrestle more sparingly. Maybe don't even have him appear every single week, but just have him turn up when required and occasionally end up in a match and this would make him more of a special attraction.

I kind of like that idea, but either way there were certainly countless ways to handle him than having him lose all the time.

I really like Bray Wyatt, but like with so many other the WWE have dropped the ball on, it got to the point where it was pretty much impossible to care about him anymore.

Curtain Jerker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    End the wildcard rule.
    100% this. They clearly push that they are two different shows, with two separate rosters and then suddenly, every week I am seeing New Day on Raw, and I am honestly sick of it. If they want to do away with separate rosters (they won't), then do it.

I also would love to see more matches. Actually see wrestling on a wrestling show. Raw & Smackdown for the past couple weeks have been, Match, backstage interview, promo, promo, match. Or Promo, Interview, Promo, Match. MORE WRESTLING PLEASE!

Character Jobber

Status

No more part-timers holding belts and not showing up on TV. Limit one legend per PPV (maybe two at 'Mania) and only one legend vs legend match per year, all the rest must be legend vs current star. When wrestlers are legitimately busted open, don't hide it from the camera. And create a real difference between Raw and Smackdown brands. Tell Heyman and Bischoff to compete against each other.

THE FACE THAT RUNS THE PLACE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information