Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: WWE Monday Night Raw Live Discussion - June 24, 2019

Cardcaptor

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: WWE Monday Night Raw Live Discussion - June 24, 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Booty Love View Post
    Absolutely let’s not forget how green Charlotte was in the beginning. Lacey is a victim of to much to soon and its soured a lot of people but she’s a hell of a character and pretty good on the mic. I’ll take her and her potential over 70% of the main female roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Charlottes been pretty botchy lately, to be fair.

But yes, she's a good example. And it's absolutely too soon of a call up.

But I guess that's an odd way to put things, when you consider some of the absolute best wrestlers are on NXT...And some of the worst on Raw/SD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Just cause it's happened a thousand times in WWE doesn't mean it's a good booking decision. Joe was beaten clean for his US title, and the story of his year so far has been him being inconsistent in his midcard results, he's not a dominant US Champion looking for a bigger challenge, he's a guy he keeps failing to defend his title. Nothing about him this year has said 'here's a guy on the rise'. He's literally just this months challenger for Kofi in a short sighted lockeroom reshuffle.

On Seth, I think WWE are very aware the guy isn't that likable as a babyface and that's why they're going all in with him being Becky's boyfriend in the hope it'll get more people behind him.
    Yeah, absolutely right about Seth as a face.
    Everything will surely be alright.

Status

Just cause it's happened a thousand times in WWE doesn't mean it's a good booking decision. Joe was beaten clean for his US title, and the story of his year so far has been him being inconsistent in his midcard results, he's not a dominant US Champion looking for a bigger challenge, he's a guy he keeps failing to defend his title. Nothing about him this year has said 'here's a guy on the rise'. He's literally just this months challenger for Kofi in a short sighted lockeroom reshuffle.

On Seth, I think WWE are very aware the guy isn't that likable as a babyface and that's why they're going all in with him being Becky's boyfriend in the hope it'll get more people behind him.
    I think it's a pretty inoffensive booking decision. I think in most people's minds, Joe is a main eventer or fringe main eventer at least. Despite one clean loss to Ricochet, he still comes across as a threat. He'll easily be able to say he's tired of battling over the US Title because he's got bigger fish to fry. Maybe they'll still have him earn a title shot by beating someone. I'm not saying it couldn't have been done better, all I'm saying is that it's been done time and again and it's rarely been a big issue.

As for Rollins, his Twitter stuff has been pretty trash. Maybe it's bitterness that fans are turning away. Maybe it's desperation to create some buzz for himself. Maybe he's just trying to get a raise. Idk. I love the guy and defend him more than practically anyone here but there's no way in hell he believes some of the things he's been saying.

As far as him as champion... ehhhh. A lot of criticisms of him are valid. I will just say a few things in his defense (in classic EC fashion): WWE's booking of most people makes it hard for them to get over over. The guys who just get crazy over are those like Bryan and Styles who are truly best in the world quality, and then you have the likes of Kofi and Becky who are lightning in a bottle right now. Rollins still gets a healthy pop. He's actually considerably more adored than the last guy not named Brock to hold that belt. I also think he has more good matches than bad by a good margin though there's no ignoring those few bad habits he has. It's tough to gauge how much of the repetitive matches is on him. A vast majority of the roster do the same moves and signature sequences every match. It's very tiresome and it's clear that WWE are directing them to do the same song and dance over and over so they can shout catchphrases and make merchandise. But don't get me wrong, Rollins has his faults and there's next to no chance he will never be a Hogan, Austin or Cena type. He isn't a big draw clearly, though there's always the chance they can make someone a draw with the right decision making. I just don't see it happening though.

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I think it's a pretty inoffensive booking decision. I think in most people's minds, Joe is a main eventer or fringe main eventer at least. Despite one clean loss to Ricochet, he still comes across as a threat. He'll easily be able to say he's tired of battling over the US Title because he's got bigger fish to fry. Maybe they'll still have him earn a title shot by beating someone. I'm not saying it couldn't have been done better, all I'm saying is that it's been done time and again and it's rarely been a big issue.
    It's not about whether fans consider him a main eventer on paper, I think Joe can still go, has an aura, was really good against Ricochet and presents a challenge that I think is a step up for Kofi. It's about telling interesting stories that get me into matches, and this is far from interesting, it's pretty damn lazy storytelling. WWE have just announced the title match on twitter, so there you have it, he's been awarded a WWE title match by just attacking Kofi. How compelling.

As for Rollins, his Twitter stuff has been pretty trash. Maybe it's bitterness that fans are turning away. Maybe it's desperation to create some buzz for himself. Maybe he's just trying to get a raise. Idk. I love the guy and defend him more than practically anyone here but there's no way in hell he believes some of the things he's been saying.
    When he first started talking generally about WWE having the best wrestling on the planet, it came off to me as a lockeroom leader standing up for his co-workers, the exact same way a AEW roster member might tweet out for easy likes and bait from critics to get people talking. I had no problem with it. Now the stuff he's doing going after Ospreay looks a lot more gotten too and almost like Seth is forgetting his indie roots looking down on anything that isn't WWE.

His interview comments about Moxley taking his ball and going home are also ones that make him look like a goof and a bad friend. Moxley fulfilled all his WWE obligations, that's not what taking your ball and going home means. He comes off like a WWE shill.

As far as him as champion... ehhhh. A lot of criticisms of him are valid. I will just say a few things in his defense (in classic EC fashion): WWE's booking of most people makes it hard for them to get over over. The guys who just get crazy over are those like Bryan and Styles who are truly best in the world quality, and then you have the likes of Kofi and Becky who are lightning in a bottle right now. Rollins still gets a healthy pop. He's actually considerably more adored than the last guy not named Brock to hold that belt. I also think he has more good matches than bad by a good margin though there's no ignoring those few bad habits he has. It's tough to gauge how much of the repetitive matches is on him. A vast majority of the roster do the same moves and signature sequences every match. It's very tiresome and it's clear that WWE are directing them to do the same song and dance over and over so they can shout catchphrases and make merchandise. But don't get me wrong, Rollins has his faults and there's next to no chance he will never be a Hogan, Austin or Cena type. He isn't a big draw clearly, though there's always the chance they can make someone a draw with the right decision making. I just don't see it happening though.
    Just to add onto this, I think WWE more than any company out there really suffer from fans not caring as much when people are on top, as opposed to in the chase. A year ago Becky was well liked by a lot of people and they'd of love to see a strong push for her, but fast forward a couple of months into her title reign and she's a lot more criticised than she used to be and her popularity was stronger Rumble time when she was in the chase. Fans move on quickly to the next underappreciated talent they believe should be getting a strong push.

Failing upwards has pretty much always sucked. The only time I can remember it being okay is when it was part of the story such as when JBL cost John Cena the US Title to add heat to their program leading into Cena's WWE Title win at WM 21. I feel like I complained a good deal when it came to Randy Orton losing the IC Title at Vengeance 2004 and then being rewarded by going to Summerslam to win the World Heavyweight Title. It's natural for someone to lose a midcard title in order to be moved up to the main event, but why can't you just spend a couple of months giving that guy wins after the midcard title loss before putting him in a World Title program? Look at The Rock in 1998, he lost the IC Title at Summerslam, but mostly spent the next couple of months picking up victories before winning the WWE World Title.

I don't see any problem with any fan taking issue with Samoa Joe failing upward. He literally went from being given the US Title back and then losing the US Title cleanly and 24 hours later is involved in a WWE World Title program.

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

Bret literally won the title the same show he lost to Owen.....

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Booty Love View Post
    Bret literally won the title the same show he lost to Owen.....

He wasn’t IC champion when he lost to Owen And wasnt awarded a wwf title match randomly, he already co-won the rumble to establish he was being positioned as a main event level guy.
    Last edited by Ed; 06-25-2019 at 07:46 PM.

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

He wasn’t IC champion when he lost to Owen And was then awarded a wwf title match randomly, he already co-won the rumble to establish he was being positioned as a main event level guy.
    Fair enough I forgot about the rumble thing. I’ll just be over here now.

Not to mention A. Owen won to establish him so that he could be a future contender for Bret's title and B. Owen won with a counter to a wacky Bret roll-up attempt. Quite the difference to Joe cleanly being pinned with Ricochet's move.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information