Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WC's Fave Five Albums 2018

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: WC's Fave Five Albums 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    Not exactly getting played on the radio or filling up shelves at Hot Topic, but they seem to have a devoted little following and are probably one of the more respected bands on the scene. I, unfortunately, have yet to hit up a show, so I don't have a lot of real evidence to back any of this up.
    I enjoy Hot Topic. I think it’s quaint. Not quite sure why so many people are as crazy as I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars of 2019~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

No One

Status

Bloom by Troye Sivan was a solid album that I listened to a couple of times when it released but quickly fell of my playlist. Ta13oo was one of the best albums of the year for sure and deserves a spot. I 100% am not big on Denzel Curry's new album tho. Its fine but just isnt ticking any box for me. Also, regarding new albums, that Freddie Gibbs Bandana album is really good. Love Crime Pays. I listened to the new Death Cab for a Cutie album but dont remember much of it.

Indy Talent

Status
      Country                    United States

Not quite an 85 way tie for 5th place, but close. The 40 Pointers:

Trench - Twenty One Pilots (Silk #4, Jimmy King #4)

Spoiler:

Golden Hour - Kacey Musgraves (Fuji Vice #2)

Spoiler:

El mal querer - Rosalia (Jon Snow #2)

Spoiler:

God Damn Evil - Stryper (Ms Flock #2)

Spoiler:

Ember - Breaking Benjamin (Jimmy King #2)

Spoiler:

Kamikaze - Eminem (Sakura #2)

Spoiler:

Technology - Don Broco (Silk #2)

Spoiler:

The Blue Hour - Suede (Regal or Riot #2)

Spoiler:

You Won't Get What You Want - Daughters (King Steventon #2)

Spoiler:

Swimming - Mac Miller (The EC #2)

Spoiler:

Staying at Tamara's - George Ezra (Baloocha #2)

Spoiler:

Other than Daughters, because they're an Ipecac band...I'm not really into anything in this huge group of music. George Ezra is okay for what he is and Stryper were good at one point, Michael Sweet is a very nice guy. I'm just not into anything else.

Status

Got a couple to dig into here. First the stuff that isn't mine. Kacey Musgraves a very deserving award winner for that one, Golden Hour is a really good album of stuff I'm not usually super into. Big time Fuji props and all that. Kamikaze is the best Eminem album in a long time but while it's fun to listen to him battle rap everybody into the ground, it was a bit short of the personal substance that I find is really what makes his work endure. I was really into Breaking Benjamin as a tot but their new album didn't do anything for me, don't know if I've just outgrown the sound or if they're just real stale now.

As for what is mine. Trench was the biggest surprise of the year for me. I was a casual fan of 21P after their first few but Blurryface struck me as a band going the wrong direction and I was worried that Trench was gonna be the bigtime sellout record after their taste of success. Instead I found it a really rewarding course reversal and instead of making a mega poppy album full of "Ride" and "Heathens" sound-alikes, they doubled down on their weirdness and made an album with a really cool vibe about it. Ended up getting a lot of spins from me.

Don Brocco is one of the quickest improving groups in the biz for me. Their first record was fine, second was good, and Technology was a straight banger cover to cover (only undone by an album I ADORED coming up). They have such a weird variety of tricks in their bag and make this insanely hooky stuff that's pretty inventive all the same. While "Everybody" up there is a pretty good one, I'd recommend starting with "Come Out To LA" instead to get a real taste for one of my new favorite bands.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Cardcaptor

Status

Architects and Death Cab are both good, but I haven't listened to anything new by them in a decade or so.
    Everything will surely be alright.

Status

I gave the Daughters album some brief consideration but at this point in my life, I'm just not that deep into hard rock/metal where it stood a chance against all the great rap or even indie rock releases from last year. Didn't hear any of the other albums from this batch aside from Kamikaze which, frankly, is pretty damn far down my list of best rap releases from 2018. Goes without saying I really recommend Swimming to anyone who even vaguely enjoys hip hop, especially that with splashes of soul, funk and jazz.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

Besides my own choices, the only others I’ve heard from this batch is Swimming and Kamikaze. I liked both but ultimately left them off. Kamikaze was an improvement over Revival the year prior imo

I really started getting into Twenty One Pilots around the time Stressed Out, Ride, and Heathens got really a lot of play. Trench was different from those but I still really like it a lot, that track posted in the spoiler “Chlorine” is one of the stand out tracks. Breaking Benjamin’s Ember is another one I listened to a lot of last year, mainly due to seeing them in concert in the summer last year but it’s a solid album from them but to be fair I’ve always liked their work.

Rest in power, Flock U

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

No One

Status

Trench was a pretty great album. I also enjoyed Blurryface. Think they're both awesome albums. Prefer Blurryface by a smidge tho.

Kamikaze was like an average album elevated by Eminem's recent horrendousness. I think I could probably find 30 better rap albums in 2018. I remember feeling like while it was distinctively eminem, but parts of it just felt ill-fitting in the current social climate. Hopefully this remains the floor of the rest of Eminem's career tho because it's still much better than Revival.

Swimming was an amazing album. The only before it that I'd listened to was Divine Feminine which was aight but not that good. Swimming was a step way above. Think I might give it a re-listen soon actually.

Indy Talent

Status

The 8 way tied for 4th contingent, otherwise known as the 50 Pointers:

Dispose - The Plot in You (Silk #1)

Spoiler:

Simulation Theory - Muse (Regal or Riot #1)

Spoiler:

Green Blood - The O'Reillys and the Paddyhats (Baloocha #1)

Spoiler:

The Scars of Man on the Once Nameless Wilderness - (King Steventon #1)

Spoiler:

Good Cry - Noah Cyrus (Sakura #1)

Spoiler:

Kids See Ghosts - Kids See Ghosts (Jon Snow #1)

Spoiler:

Prequelle - Ghost (Jimmy King #1)

Spoiler:

Traces - Steve Perry (Ms Flock #1)

Spoiler:

I like Muse, but they wear on me. Steve Perry is great of course. The Ghost gimmick has kind of worn off for me, so I haven't paid any attention to them in a while. The O'Reilly's were decent enough. I'd pass on everything else.

Spoiler:

My number #1 had I made a list, this is how he ends his shows.

John 5 and The Creatures - It's Alive

WAKE UP

Status

people still like Muse?

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    Trench was a pretty great album. I also enjoyed Blurryface. Think they're both awesome albums. Prefer Blurryface by a smidge tho.

Kamikaze was like an average album elevated by Eminem's recent horrendousness. I think I could probably find 30 better rap albums in 2018. I remember feeling like while it was distinctively eminem, but parts of it just felt ill-fitting in the current social climate. Hopefully this remains the floor of the rest of Eminem's career tho because it's still much better than Revival.

Swimming was an amazing album. The only before it that I'd listened to was Divine Feminine which was aight but not that good. Swimming was a step way above. Think I might give it a re-listen soon actually.
    Same person who says Ye was a great album, and gives a ton of praise to Kanye bashes Eminem.

Well, that's an interesting take.

Jobber

Status

This list was my easiest number 1 pick so far. I freaked when the album got announced. I just wish Nick could be here to have heard it he was just a big as Steve Perry fan as I am. He would have loved it as well.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    Same person who says Ye was a great album, and gives a ton of praise to Kanye bashes Eminem.

Not that interesting. It just means what he (and I as well) values isn't the same as you, probably.

Kamikaze is a totally decent album. It's still a farcry from pre-2002 Eminem, didn't really bring anything new to the table and honestly, is no fun to listen to imo. Ye is my least favorite Kanye album and the bars are practically nonexistent but it's a good, enjoyable listen with immersive production and fantastic hooks.

No One

Status

I grew up on Eminem, Im not hating just to hate. I love him. Kamikaze was an average album at best tho.

It's not like I'm an outcast, Ye received more critical praise than Kamikaze. Though that's not saying much, in this situation you're technically in the minority But going beyond that, sometimes something just sounds right to you, and I enjoy the 20 minutes of Ye. I dont really remember anything from Kamikaze standing out or making me want to come back. In this case, I think its mostly just Ye being Kanye's less well received album that makes it look worse than it actually is.

That said, KIDS SEE GHOST is an amazing album straight up. No question about that. As for me giving a ton of praise to Kanye and bashing Eminem. Kanye was responsible for producing 3 critically acclaimed albums in like the span of 3 months (maybe 4 albums but I didnt listen to Nas's so who knows) with Teyanna Taylor & Pusha T. He's still helping getting talent a spotlight. Eminem's highlight of the year was dissing MGK (that was last year right?) Kanye's antics are absolutely stupid and shite, but I'm not gonna deny him his contributions to music.

Scoundrel

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    people still like Muse?
    Yes.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I’m honestly surprised that I’m only one to have Ghost. I love the album though, every track is great imo. Only other one I know is Muse and I liked it but actually forgot about it when making my list.

Rest in power, Flock U

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    I grew up on Eminem, Im not hating just to hate. I love him. Kamikaze was an average album at best tho.

It's not like I'm an outcast, Ye received more critical praise than Kamikaze. Though that's not saying much, in this situation you're technically in the minority But going beyond that, sometimes something just sounds right to you, and I enjoy the 20 minutes of Ye. I dont really remember anything from Kamikaze standing out or making me want to come back. In this case, I think its mostly just Ye being Kanye's less well received album that makes it look worse than it actually is.

That said, KIDS SEE GHOST is an amazing album straight up. No question about that. As for me giving a ton of praise to Kanye and bashing Eminem. Kanye was responsible for producing 3 critically acclaimed albums in like the span of 3 months (maybe 4 albums but I didnt listen to Nas's so who knows) with Teyanna Taylor & Pusha T. He's still helping getting talent a spotlight. Eminem's highlight of the year was dissing MGK (that was last year right?) Kanye's antics are absolutely stupid and shite, but I'm not gonna deny him his contributions to music.
    Yes, but critical acclaim doesn't always mean a whole lot. I mean, One Direction and Bieber sold out.

I'm just giving you shit, because I think Kanye post College Drop Out is absolute garbage tier, and I still love Eminem and thought Kamikaze, particularly his work with Joyner, was top notch. Sure not as good as his stuff from the 90s, but yeah.

Status

Yes, but critical acclaim doesn't always mean a whole lot. I mean, One Direction and Bieber sold out.

I'm just giving you shit, because I think Kanye post College Drop Out is absolute garbage tier, and I still love Eminem and thought Kamikaze, particularly his work with Joyner, was top notch. Sure not as good as his stuff from the 90s, but yeah.
    Everything after his first album is garbage tier?

Ahhh. Ya hate to see it.

Cardcaptor

Status

To me, yeah. Not my style at all.

I prefer 90s hip hop, mostly.

For modern? I like Watsky, Montana of 300, Joyner, and a lot of K-Rap like Flowsik, SIK-K, etc. Not a fan at all of Kanye, Cardi, Nicki, or whatever.

Status

To me, yeah. Not my style at all.

I prefer 90s hip hop, mostly.

For modern? I like Watsky, Montana of 300, Joyner, and a lot of K-Rap like Flowsik, SIK-K, etc. Not a fan at all of Kanye, Cardi, Nicki, or whatever.
    Well, all I can say to that is I don't think those three rappers belong in the same box by any means. I would think you would at least like some cuts off LR and Graduation as well though, given some of that same TCD style flowed over into them with songs like We Major, Touch the Sky, I Wonder, Homecoming, Big Brother and all that good stuff.

Thread Information