Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NJPW G1 CLIMAX 29

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: NJPW G1 CLIMAX 29

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    Real issue for me is if Naito is winning then what about the IC title? Are they going to make him a double champ? How do they get the IC belt off of him without making him look weak?

Okada/Tanahashi in Dallas is pretty big as is KENTA vs Ibushi.
    Naito has signed that he wants to be a double champion so that seems like a likely approach they could go. Gives the Dome shows an even bigger main event.

Tanahashi vs Okada in the US was a good idea. Probably should've done it in MSG but this is great too. The last few shows are interesting. I can imagine Okada and Tanahashi being tied for points with Ibushi beating Okada with Tanahashi beating Ospreay to get the winning points. Naito or White on the last day sounds tasty.

Status

Definitely gonna subscribe again for this. I watched through all the shows last year, but made the rookie mistake of not skipping the non-tournament matches. And there was some shit to get thru.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    Okada/Tanahashi in Dallas is pretty big as is KENTA vs Ibushi.
    It's a pretty stacked Day 1 when you look at it, 3 matches that should be great on paper and then Ospreay/Archer I know a lot of people loved from the cup too. Okada/Tanahashi in the states feels inevitable, was surprised they didn't run it for MSG in April.

A little surprising though that it's just a Block A day which means that they aren't relying on Moxley to draw for them, or Naito (arguably the most over Jap to western New Japan fans).

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

I got a feeling Juice is going far might win the whole damn thing.

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    ​Brayden Bridges

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

The fact they took the US belt off of him is a plus but yeah, I don't think he has the star power to headline the Dome yet.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

creatively drained artist

Status
      Country                    Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Naito has signed that he wants to be a double champion so that seems like a likely approach they could go. Gives the Dome shows an even bigger main event.

Tanahashi vs Okada in the US was a good idea. Probably should've done it in MSG but this is great too. The last few shows are interesting. I can imagine Okada and Tanahashi being tied for points with Ibushi beating Okada with Tanahashi beating Ospreay to get the winning points. Naito or White on the last day sounds tasty.
    Since WK14 will be a 2-day event, can they have a strong main event both days if they're going to use the IC and Heavy champs in the same day?
    Du bindest einen Blumenkranz...
    ...wieso siehst du so traurig aus?

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Moxley not only doesn't have a tournament match in Dallas, he's not wrestling on the show at all and can't take part in the Press Conference beforehand.

Looks like NJPW and AEW are direct competitors on American soil then, because Moxley signed his NJPW deal first, so that's very odd he can't work that show.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    Since WK14 will be a 2-day event, can they have a strong main event both days if they're going to use the IC and Heavy champs in the same day?
    That was my impression when they announced it this Wrestle Kingdom but with Naito saying that he wants to be a double champion and him and Okada being very protected as opponents makes a title vs title match very likely.

I hoe they do a better job of protecting the champions a little more than last year. Last year, Goto and Juice came across really badly by takings too many loses, in my opinion.

creatively drained artist

Status
      Country                    Turkey

That was my impression when they announced it this Wrestle Kingdom but with Naito saying that he wants to be a double champion and him and Okada being very protected as opponents makes a title vs title match very likely.

I hoe they do a better job of protecting the champions a little more than last year. Last year, Goto and Juice came across really badly by takings too many loses, in my opinion.
    Seems likely to me too but they need 2 strong main-events for 2 Dome shows and having Naito vs Okada for both IC and Heavy titles leaves a much weaker main-event to the other day. What match-up do you think they are/should be going for the other night?
    Du bindest einen Blumenkranz...
    ...wieso siehst du so traurig aus?

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Heavyweight
    IC
    NEVER
    US
    Junior
    Rev Pro British
    and Potentially ROH World

There's 6, possibly 7 champions in this years G1, which is an increase on last year. They literally cannot protect all of them.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Also, the champions losing puts the tournament over.

We could get Naito IC defense N1 then Naito vs Okada N2.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Heavyweight
    IC
    NEVER
    US
    Junior
    Rev Pro British
    and Potentially ROH World

There's 6, possibly 7 champions in this years G1, which is an increase on last year. They literally cannot protect all of them.
    That's understandable and obviously, there are going to be losses but there are ways to book the champions much better than they did last year. Making the loses matter after the G1 with title challenges, etc. The champions are more spread out with the blocks this year which will go a long way.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

They definitely did a bad job last year in general booking the tournament with the champions and way too much bullet club and Switchblade shenanigans. This year can be better all around, because the titles aren't on Juice and Goto who they shit on a lot, instead one is on Moxley who they virtually have to protect and Naito who is the likely winner. Ishii probably will be somewhat similar to the NEVER champ last year but besides that the titles will be protected much better.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

As it's the G1 this week end, New Japan has started posting articles going through each wrestler in both blocks. It's a good read whether you're familiar with them or not.

Here is a preview of one:

Juice Robinson・3rd entry, 3rd consecutive

While Juice doesn’t have the broken hand that hindered his 2018 G1 campaign this year, he does have mental scars that could either motivate or ruin his performance in 2019. Heading into his match on June 5 with Jon Moxley, Juice symbolically removed his trademark dreads, and debuted a short haircut; this was something he was always willing to do to put himself on a par with NJPW Young Lions when he entered the company from WWE, but was asked not to. Now, with shorter hair he was redoubling a commitment to the company that brought him fame, adulation and the IWGP United States Championship.

In retrospect it was like Samson removing his hair. Moxley defeated Robinson in a brutal battle, and one that left him distant, spitting fire at western press and public before taking a silent, rather less flamboyant approach teaming with Mikey Nicholls during Kizuna Road and Southern Showdown. Has he been preparing himself for a G1 tear that can put him back on the map? We’ll start to find out in his first group match on July 13.

Key matches August 8, Yokohama (vs White)

It was from an arrogant Jay White that Juice Robinson was able to snatch his first IWGP United States Championship, rolling up the Switchblade against the run of a tough, violent affair in San Francisco. Robinson would enter the G1 on an emotional high but with physical difficulties, only going to a 3-6 record. This year, Robinson’s thoughts before the tournament seem fraught, but without the hand injury that plagued him last summer, the anger he feels could be the spark to a perfect storm that would see him beat White at a critical stage in the campaign for both men.

August 10, Budokan (vs Moxley)

The normally verbose Robinson has been oddly quiet when it comes to discussing his G1 campaign. While every entrant is motivated by the prospect of a G1 trophy and a ticket to a main event in the Tokyo Dome, Robinson’s focus could well singularly be on revenge. Against Moxley in the Budokan, Juice may be even more vicious than he was in Ryogoku Sumo Hall June 5; he will need to be if he wants to even the score against the new United States Champion.
    A Block (Part One) - https://www.njpw1972.com/53629

A Block (Part Two) - https://www.njpw1972.com/53640

B Block (Part One) - https://www.njpw1972.com/54122

B Block (Part Two) - To be added

WAKE UP

Status

those are pretty cool, def got my interest in this up

Hail To The King

Status

The more I look at this the more I see this as Kota's G1 to lose am I wrong guy has momentum by his side as well. I mean I rather see him or Juice mox evil win over someone who is over already but I mean G1 should be used to establish a push to midcard to main event right?

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    ​Brayden Bridges

King EC

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    The more I look at this the more I see this as Kota's G1 to lose am I wrong guy has momentum by his side as well. I mean I rather see him or Juice mox evil win over someone who is over already but I mean G1 should be used to establish a push to midcard to main event right?
    Ehhhh. Maybe it should be but I believe more often than not, it isn't. I always felt it was a big accomplishment in its own right, rather than just a vehicle to get yourself a title shot.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    More often then not the G1 isn't used to elevate someone from the midcard to the main event, it's usually always one of the top 5 stars in the company before the tournament ever happens that gets the win because of the position of responsibility you're then put in to draw the Dome Show crowd six months later. Perhaps 'cementing' their main event status is more accurate.

Kota is the only other guy I could hear an argument for when it comes to who might win this as I can see him main eventing one of the two dome shows and he does have the full time contract now, so you're not wrong. I would be really surprised if it's not Naito though.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I think Ibushi definitely is main eventing one of the Dome shows, against Tanahashi though. But I don't agree that the G1 should be used to push a midcard guy to a main event. At least, not always. The whole tournament is built upon being the best of the best more than the actual title shot. And like Ed said, you have to have a top star as the winner because they have to draw in the Tokyo Dome.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Realistically it's pretty much never been that and always someone who is a main eventer already. I guess they tried that with Naito the first time but it failed miserably. Really in the Dome era it's always been the top guys. Naito and Ibushi are the only two I would even look at and Naito is a heavy favorite, but admittedly the two Dome shows makes me wonder if they aren't prepared to risk some kind of swerve on one of the main events. (IE Mox, similar to when everyone thought Naito would win and Omega did, if they can get a bigger piece of a major star than AEW then they'd probably do whatever it took to get him but that's outside the box conspiracy stuff...Naito's probably gonna win)

I think it's likely on the final day it ends with A Block only having Ibushi & Okada and B Block having like 5 guys in play, surely Mox, White, & Naito, and I think one of Goto/Shingo will he alive, maybe even Ishii.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information