Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: NJPW G1 CLIMAX 29

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: NJPW G1 CLIMAX 29

No. The situation is different. Part of the reason is more KENTA's style and how it doesn't fit what the NJ fans want to see and that he really doesn't have that aura that the rest of LIJ have. People can say that SANADA isn't charismatic but he has that superstar aura that clicks with the fanbase that KENTA doesn't. With the BULLET CLUB, they can really lean into the fans dislike of him to turn it from go away heat to good heat. Being a heel suits him bet nowadays and LIJ is the biggest faces of the company.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

KENTA had an awful tournament but it ended on a good note with his first great match with ZSJ & then angle that turned away from what he was doing that got largely indifferent responses to good heat where they want to see Shibata kill him which I think was totally accomplished. He needed a big change because his tournament was so bad, but I'm even less interested in the idea of him having Owens & Jado follow him around & make his matches like that.

It does feel like they're going out of their way to ruin his legacy though. They debuted him the same day as Misawa's show & pissed all of NOAH off. They put him in position to fail, which he did in the G1. Gave him an entire character of Shibata's best friend. Then had him join Bullet Club!? That's all the antithesis of what I can imagine most KENTA fans want to see THIS guy do. Definitely not me. But you can't deny at least step 1 was highly successful & memorable.

We can tell other people about...having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future~

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

Relentless Admin

Status

KENTA had great matches with Tanahashi, Ospreay and Zack, and good matches with Ibushi, Archer and EVIL. The fale And Sanada matches stunk, but I don’t blame him for that cause they are the worst two in the block. It’s really just the Okada match which I felt bombed. When 6 out of your 9 matches are by most people’s standards above average, I don’t really understand where descriptions like ‘awful’ and ‘so bad’ are coming from.

Hell of a heel turn angle. Fingers crossed Shibata is allowed to do at least one match.

Caught the final, decent stuff. Not a fan of gedo thrown out only to return. I can’t help but feel like this doesn’t feel like Ibushi’s year to win this, he hasn’t been one of the best in the tournament for me the way that Shingo, ishii and pre losing streak Moxley have. whereas if he won after last year’s tournament it would of matched him being the MVP and it would of felt right.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

You can like the matches, that's your opinion. To not understand why things happened the way they did and see how the Japanese crowd reacted to him throughout his entire run is just being stubborn. It was a failed run and needed to change or he was going nowhere. Again, GRAPPL is not a good way to determine the reality of how most people feel. If that were true Archer wouldn't have been the 9th best guy in A Block.

Ibushi was the fan favorite, although I agree he wasn't an MVP. To me Ishii & Shingo were by far the two best wrestlers in this tournament and I would put Tanahashi and Ospreay ahead of Ibushi. Just in general though I much prefer Ibushi winning to Naito, and especially to White who was one of the worst people in the tournament so I was fine with it.

We can tell other people about...having faith. What we had faith in. What we found important enough to fight for. It's not whether you were right or wrong, but how much faith you were willing to have, that decides the future~

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

Relentless Admin

Status

I’ve literally said nothing about KENTA’s tournament from anything other than match quality viewpoint. I don’t know where you’re getting stubborn from, it’s not like I’ve been saying he’s over, he’s a star, this is working out exactly as they would of imagined, cause that would be incorrect. I haven’t argued against those points.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I’ve literally said nothing about KENTA’s tournament from anything other than match quality viewpoint. I don’t know where you’re getting stubborn from, it’s not like I’ve been saying he’s over, he’s a star, this is working out exactly as they would of imagined, cause that would be incorrect. I haven’t argued against those points.
    Then why even bring match quality up in the first place when I was talking about why he turned to the Bullet Club? His tournament failed hard and most people in Japan think he sucked during it. He needed a change and he got it. What's there to disagree about?

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    KENTA had an awful tournament but it ended on a good note with his first great match with ZSJ
    Your opening sentence is a shot at his poor match quality so you brought match quality up first.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Your opening sentence is a shot at his poor match quality so you brought match quality up first.
    The only match he looked awful in was against Ospreay as a wrestler. The rest he ranged from okay to really good vs. ZSJ, but what was truly awful was how little the fans cared about him & how unover he was.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Well tbh, I wouldnt expect him to be super over nor would I expect fans to give much of a shit about him. Alot of fans probably didn't see him in his prime.

Him turning heel was the right move given the crowd's reactions.

As for being BC leader, that's not going to happen. Jay White is the star boy in BC and his booking in this G1 pretty much tells you to get used to it. I'm for it too. White has been great recently. KENTA was so so. He's noticeably slower. I think his main issue was struggling to connect with the crowd. But that's not a problem now.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

WAKE UP

Status

catching up on the last couple shows, have to agree KENTA vs Zack was awesome. A bit too my-turn-your-turn at times, but great clash of styles and loved the finish. I don't think KENTA had a great showing this tourney but he was better than half the guys in it.

Tanahashi vs Ospreay started hot, and I was a bit taken aback at how over Ospreay is and how behind him the crowd were, but it quickly turned into a typical "flier gets his leg worked over but still can run and jump around" match and I lost interest.

WAKE UP

Status

Man, Moxley vs Juice II was great and is getting totally slept on. Moxley works a leg better than Tanahashi does, and Juice sells it better than Ibushi has ever sold a bum wheel. Loved the end run with Moxley just destroying Juice before getting caught.

Shingo vs Goto started slow, then they hit the switch and had an awesome slugfest. Those lariats were killer. I have to say, I've thought Shingo was ass for the majority of the last decade, but I am close to being all in on him as a heavyweight.

GUYS WHOSE STOCK WENT UP:
    - Tomohiro Ishii
    - Jon Moxley
    - Shingo Takagi
    - Will Ospreay
    - Juice Robinson
    - KENTA

GUYS WHOSE STOCK WENT DOWN:
    - Kota Ibushi
    - Kaz Okada
    - Hiroshi Tanahashi
    - Jeff Cobb