Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 101 to 115 of 115

Thread: AEW Fyter Fest 29/06/19

  1. #101
    Relentless Admin

    Ed's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dudley, England
    Posts
    36,750
    Rep Power
    2419242
      Country                    England

    Re: AEW Fyter Fest 29/06/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I think cost means quite a bit. Would you compare a random episode of Raw to NJPW's Dominion? No, because their purposes are entirely different, just like Fyter Fest vs Best in the World.
    how is a random episode of Raw anyway comparable to AEW's 2nd ever show?

    All throughout the show, AEW were hyping matches for shows that mattered - namely Fight for the Fallen and All Out.
    They were hyping Moxley Vs Janela throughout the show so it's not like they ignored what their big matches were on this show. Don't see any issue hyping up interest for their next show, it's called promoting.

    I think it's pretty clear that I'm not some AEW fanboy and I completely agree that their PPV opening video sucked hard for how they tried to force the narrative that they're leading a wrestling revolution. However, cost always matters, especially with expectations particularly in this WWE Network era where every promotion must convince fans that their price tag is worth it when compared to the WWE Network.
    They were getting eyes on their product, that was the key thing about this show, attracting new fans be it gamers at this damn convention thing or attract those fans that heard good things about Double or Nothing but didn't want to put down $50 bucks. This was an important event for AEW, because they all are at this early stage. Cost was irreverent last night. Your argument of cost matters when it comes to expectations would justify AEW phoning it in last night and giving fans no interesting matches just because it was a free show, but they gave away Moxley/Janela in a deathmatch.

    Ultimately, AEW gave us a free show last night, a month removed from charging $50(I think that was the price?) for Double or Nothing. Thus far, we've heard from one person and one person only who claims ROH put on a better show, as great as Nicky is, I'm willing to bet a lot of fans that watched both will disagree with him anyhow.
    One person having watched ROH doesn't do your argument much good that it was one of ROH's biggest shows of the year up against a 'free show'. Kinda proves my point they aren't a hot promotion at all and the more important event, the more popular event and the one that had higher expectations on it to deliver a good show, was Fyter Fest.

    Attack AEW all you want for their attitudes of acting like they're going to change the face of wrestling, much like the BS that TNA used to spew out, but their free show supposedly not being as good as one of ROH's biggest shows of the year means jack shit.
    Again, you're stuck in this mindset of free to view = lower your expectations for a good show. These early shows are all about gaining interest in the new product, establishing acts and feuds and the management team working out whats hot and whats not with fans like a focus group but with tens of thousands of wrestling fans. You're out of your mind if you don't think they were trying to put on as strong a show as possible last night. If Best in the World was supposedly a more enjoyable show, when Moxley and Janela were going all out in a death match and the Elite boys are having their spotfest matches with the lucha bros, when BITW didn't have a great card imo, then idk I think that's not a great look. Perhaps not to you who isn't watching too much modern wrestling, but to someone like me trying to consume as much wrestling as I can, for AEW to not be show of the weekend is a discussion point. If they didn't want fans to think like that, then they shouldn't be 'declaring war' and promising wrestling revolutions.

  2. #102

    Re: AEW Fyter Fest 29/06/19

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    how is a random episode of Raw anyway comparable to AEW's 2nd ever show?
    Because it was never meant to feel like a huge show. It was a show built around promoting the bigger shows down the line.

    They were hyping Moxley Vs Janela throughout the show so it's not like they ignored what their big matches were on this show. Don't see any issue hyping up interest for their next show, it's called promoting.
    Yeah, so? Of course they were hyping Moxley vs Janela throughout the show. An episode of Wrestling Challenge from the 80s would advertise what was to come later in the show.

    When Moxley debuted, he debuted in a hot main event angle, attacking Jericho and Omega. Janela will likely have a very big future in AEW, if he chooses to remain in the company for the next few years, but it wasn't some huge match. It was a good enough key match-up for Moxley's first bout with AEW. The money matches are against Jericho and Omega. This is also in response to The EC's previous reply, but just because Moxley worked this show in his first match, doesn't mean it was meant to be a huge event. They debuted Moxley in a way that got a bit of talk before they went after the important matches with Mox.

    They were getting eyes on their product, that was the key thing about this show, attracting new fans be it gamers at this damn convention thing or attract those fans that heard good things about Double or Nothing but didn't want to put down $50 bucks. This was an important event for AEW, because they all are at this early stage. Cost was irreverent last night. Your argument of cost matters when it comes to expectations would justify AEW phoning it in last night and giving fans no interesting matches just because it was a free show, but they gave away Moxley/Janela in a deathmatch.
    I absolutely didn't say that AEW could have phoned it in, just that there's zero reason to have expectations compared to one of another company's key event of the year. More on this later in the reply.

    One person having watched ROH doesn't do your argument much good that it was one of ROH's biggest shows of the year up against a 'free show'. Kinda proves my point they aren't a hot promotion at all and the more important event, the more popular event and the one that had higher expectations on it to deliver a good show, was Fyter Fest.
    Which they did, so I don't see the problem. It didn't need to be as good as Best in the World. Frankly, ROH badly needed to be able to deliver, even if it is comparing their A show to a B show from AEW.

    Again, you're stuck in this mindset of free to view = lower your expectations for a good show. These early shows are all about gaining interest in the new product, establishing acts and feuds and the management team working out whats hot and whats not with fans like a focus group but with tens of thousands of wrestling fans. You're out of your mind if you don't think they were trying to put on as strong a show as possible last night. If Best in the World was supposedly a more enjoyable show, when Moxley and Janela were going all out in a death match and the Elite boys are having their spotfest matches with the lucha bros, when BITW didn't have a great card imo, then idk I think that's not a great look. Perhaps not to you who isn't watching too much modern wrestling, but to someone like me trying to consume as much wrestling as I can, for AEW to not be show of the weekend is a discussion point. If they didn't want fans to think like that, then they shouldn't be 'declaring war' and promising wrestling revolutions.
    I think this is where our opinions potentially differ. Do you think Fyter Fest was a failure for AEW? As someone who hasn't been following indie wrestling much for years, I found this show to be a success for what it was trying to be. Unlike at Double or Nothing, we got matches, on the actual show, from the likes of Adam Page, Joey Janela, Darby Allin, MJF, and even Jungle Boy and his dinosaur buddy. They did a good job of introducing those talents in matches on the actual show, which I feel was a bit of a flaw on Double or Nothing (Although in Page's case, PAC caused him to lose his match on the PPV). They hyped up a handful of future matches for Fight for the Fallen and All Out. For a show that, in my eyes, was made mostly to just add more interest in their company, it was a success.

    Again, it didn't need to be a great show. It didn't need to compete against another company's huge show. The free price tag is a huge deal. Anyone who had interest in seeing AEW, but weren't comfortable with forking over all of that cash for Double or Nothing could get a smaller taste of AEW for a very small commitment of essentially just signing up for a free login. Apparently, you and a few others here may feel different, but my expectations are based around how much I have to invest in watching something. I know I'm not alone either even if I am potentially alone on this matter on this site. In the past, I've felt burned by the WWE when I would pay money for a PPV and it would end up sucking. Likewise, I know I tend not to be as let down when I pay less for an event, or get it for free, and it doesn't deliver. Fyter Fest was similar to the old WWE In Your House PPVs. You knew not to expect as much quality as a bigger PPV, but it was less money so it was worth it.

    Others may disagree, but I don't feel as if AEW phoned it in and they absolutely didn't need to deliver the sort of quality that people claim they did at Double or Nothing.

    I'll close out this reply by repeating what you said:

    "These early shows are all about gaining interest in the new product, establishing acts and feuds and the management team working out whats hot and whats not with fans like a focus group but with tens of thousands of wrestling fans."

    Which is exactly what they did.

  3. #103
    Hail To The King
    OMB's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    6,520
    Rep Power
    859757
      Country                    United States

    Re: AEW Fyter Fest 29/06/19

    Just watched it was alright double or nothing was better that said Mox vs. Janela undelivered for me which sucks as I am huge fan of both. Omega attack after was ehhh. Cody vs. Darby was not as good as Cody vs. Dustin. I thought the fatal four way was MOTN.


    Spoiler:


    CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges




  4. #104
    Heel Champion
    Baldwin's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,452
    Rep Power
    115019
      Country                    Scotland

    Re: AEW Fyter Fest 29/06/19

    The show wasn't as good as DON, sure, but I found it still pretty enjoyable for the most part. MJF is so fucking great.

  5. #105
    Hail To The King
    OMB's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    6,520
    Rep Power
    859757
      Country                    United States

    Re: AEW Fyter Fest 29/06/19

    MJF feels like he could be the mosted hated man in wrestling like Jericho in 08.

    Jungle Boy impressed me alot kid can go him riding Lauchasarus to the ring was great


    Spoiler:


    CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges




  6. #106
    Last Real Man Hype
    Marketh's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    18,357
    Rep Power
    445765

    Re: AEW Fyter Fest 29/06/19

    Gave it a skim through hungover in bed and ended up watching a decent amount of it. Skipped the preshow but I might now check out how bad this Librarian shit is.

    Right off the bat JR forgets Darby Allin’s name in the first of many depressing, awkward JR calls tonight.

    Fourway was good fun. Page was decent. First time seeing Jungle Boy and he looked fairly good, but that weird gymnastic moonsault spot I thought he was gonna kill someone with a fast knee to the face. Instead he just nearly knocked Page’s shoulder out of socket. MJF is still everything midcard Miz tries to be. He has a good mix of actual funny one-liners and typical jock NERDS insults that he doesn’t come off one-dimensional. Jimmy Havoc was present.

    Page getting the win SHOULD be good heading into his title match, but it feels like they’re booking him towards a midcard title, not a world title. I wouldn’t say he gained any credibility here, the focus is still completely on Cody, Moxley and Omega. He could’ve at least cut a promo or something.

    First time seeing Darby Allin after hearing a lot of hype. I’ll preface this by saying I know Cody was unlikely to be the best opponent for him, but on first impressions I’m not impressed...yet. The willingness to do a nutty spot doesn’t do it for me as far as making me consider someone a great worker. It provided a shocking moment and a pop, but considering how basic and average the match was, it felt like a really desperate attempt to get this thing to the next level, which didn’t really happen until the clock was running out. I’m just a firm believer in saving nutty shit like that apron bump for much bigger matches. The bodybag spot I just thought was dumb too, especially since Cody has him this vulnerable to only hit one move.

    It’s a good thing (well not really) that chairshot was such a banger, because Spears taking his sweet time to swing it and forcing Cody to stand there looking dumb, waiting for it, could’ve wrecked that moment. Angle was whatever, spot was insane. Shame they had to make commentary improvise for what felt like forever afterwards.

    Six man was a good amount of fun. Wasn’t the retarded OTT spotfest I expected, the Bucks have been fairly reigned in a bit since AEW started, thankfully. No clue WTF Penta was doing with his glove, but that killed the momentum for me there. Blue Lucha Bro who’s name I’ve already forgotten looked good too.

    When Justin Roberts announced the lights out schtick, I thought they were going for a more legit unsanctioned approach. I thought the AEW tron would turn off and there’d be no commentary, etc. But instead they literally just turned them off and on again. Uh huh. Kinda zoned out during Moxley/Janela and came back to life towards the end in time for the great ladder spot onwards. Glad Omega came out for a beatdown after, cause it kinda irked me that he was out doing a fun Street Fighter deal earlier as if he didn’t get his ass kicked at the last show.

    Kinda enjoyed a good amount of what I saw. Not gonna call myself a fan yet, but there’s enough going on I’m willing to check out these next couple shows.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

  7. #107
    WAKE UP

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    32,448
    Rep Power
    336655

    Re: AEW Fyter Fest 29/06/19

    for all the Darby first-timers, this wasnt really a good showcase for him. in fact I might go far enough to say it was one of my least favorite matches from him. he did some token spots and took nutty bumps to get the match over but it didn't have the same emotional pull as a lot of his stuff and I'd agree the bodybag stuff was goofy

  8. #108
    Relentless Admin

    Ed's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dudley, England
    Posts
    36,750
    Rep Power
    2419242
      Country                    England

    Re: AEW Fyter Fest 29/06/19

    I think the coffin drop onto edge of the apron is something that would give people the wrong impression of the guy, like he’s just just doing sick bumps for the sake of it. Usually his sick bumps are to make his opponents moves look better than ever and to put over hes in a brutal match, rather than him doing something silly to get noticed.

  9. #109
    THE HEARTBREAK KID
    Deco90's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    945
    Rep Power
    163816
      Country                    Portugal

    Re: AEW Fyter Fest 29/06/19

    Just got done watching this. A clear drop in quality from DON but that's not a massive issue really. I skipped the pre-show entirely and I'm glad I did from the reviews.

    CIMA vs Daniels = I was quited excited to watch this, but honestly- I was bored. Felt very bland to me.

    The Three-Way Women's Match = Early thoughts was that Rose looked like someone cosplaying as a wrestler from her entrance attire- looked a bit silly to me. Match had some good and bad moments. Some good spots and then it was really messy in parts, I felt. I also feel like they're missing a trick with Nyla Rose and she should have won that match for me. Especially after being completely made to look irrelaevent and minor at DON with the arrival of Awesome Kong.

    MJF stealing the show with another outstanding promo!

    Hangman vs MJF vs Jungle Boy vs Havoc = I had no excitement for this match and early on it looked like Hangman was a class above which he is- but like he shouldn't be in the ring with the other three but it ended up being a fun match and surprised me. Made the others shine quite well while obvsiouly making Page look strong.

    Commentary team still needs work for me. The 3rd man was again a let down and just not needed in my opinion. WWE do three, why not be different and go back to two. I felt even Jim Ross wasn't as good this time and at one point during the ladies match.. I think, he told people not to go and make a sandwhich

    Cody vs Darby Allen = LOL! At Cody with the "Throne Breaker" shirt, clearly not buying his own hype Haha! Can't blame him though if it sells merch. First time seeing Allen and it's interesting to read the comments about his performance in this match because I was not that impressed. He made Cody look like a "big man" due to his size and I literally couldn't tell who was the "heel" and who was the "Face" in the match because the dude that brought down the body bag spent most of the match getting his ass kicked.

    Bump to the ring apron with the Coffin Drop was insane! Time limit draw was disappointing but the aftermath was not good at all. Firstly, Tye Dillinger, really? That chair shot was fucking brutal and pretty reckless but Cody took it without any hands up protection. But what really got to me was the first person that came out to help Cody was MJF who's the hottest pure heel on the show.. WHAT THE FUCK?! WHY?! Where was the sense in that? WWE would get slaughtered for that- made no sense at all. They literally could have had anyone come out.

    The Elite vs Lucha Bro's & Laredo Kid = This match was really good. Match of the night for me. Loved the Elite street fighter entrance and the whole.. ROUND ONE, FIGHT! that was pretty fun. So many good spots in the match and the athleticism of those involved is amazing.

    Joey Janela vs Jon Moxley = Mox bowing to the "YOU SICK FUCK!" chants made me giggle. Pretty fun match for what it was. Moxley's back was a complete mess and the barbed wire stuff was pretty crazy. Omega's attack afterwards was pretty good booking and keeps the feud bubbling nicely.


    "LET ME IN.."

  10. #110
    Last Real Man Hype
    Marketh's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    18,357
    Rep Power
    445765

    Re: AEW Fyter Fest 29/06/19

    Tbf, I think the commentary mentioned MJF has been sucking up to Cody lately, or something. Should’ve hammered that home a bit more to avoid confusion for the casual viewer. They had like 5 minutes of ad-libbing after that they could’ve explained it in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

  11. #111
    Mid-Card Champion
    Gambit's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    789
    Rep Power
    28639

    Re: AEW Fyter Fest 29/06/19

    MJF is a future world champion and a star. The promo was top notch. Hangman looked strong and as he should going into a match with Jericho for the world title. The librarian shtick needs to go away. Immediately. I never watched Darby Allin wrestle until now. I’ve seen the way he was presented in evolve with their recaps and never saw him as someone I could be into but this match sure helped legitimize him to the uninitiated. the chair shot to Cody was sick and I loved it. Especially with the commentators emphasis the severity of it and CTE. Mox vs Janela was fine. I’m not a fan of Janela- at all. The dark order is Goofy as hell and needs to disappear. Overall, the show was solid. Not as good as double or nothing but definitely kept things interesting going into Fight For the Fallen and All Out.

  12. #112
    WAKE UP

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    32,448
    Rep Power
    336655

    Re: AEW Fyter Fest 29/06/19

    is MJF actually a good wreslter? genuine question. his promos are great but his in-ring style feels like Miz at his worst

  13. #113
    TAKE THE DREAM~

    MC 16's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    The Lesnar Farm
    Posts
    7,411
    Rep Power
    916049
      Country                    England

    Re: AEW Fyter Fest 29/06/19

    Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    is MJF actually a good wreslter? genuine question. his promos are great but his in-ring style feels like Miz at his worst
    Not really. I've been watching him in MLW for months and I can't really pin point a match I'd consider great of his. I don't even think that he stood out in any way in the matches he has had in AEW. Very much a promo guy.

  14. #114
    THE HEARTBREAK KID
    Deco90's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    945
    Rep Power
    163816
      Country                    Portugal

    Re: AEW Fyter Fest 29/06/19

    Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Not really. I've been watching him in MLW for months and I can't really pin point a match I'd consider great of his. I don't even think that he stood out in any way in the matches he has had in AEW. Very much a promo guy.
    I'd go with this notion too.

    Except for some reason, I find him more believable then Miz in the ring and that makes no sense because he's probably shorter and around the same weight, maybe.

    Maybe it's the promo's because he's on fire at the moment. That said- we've seen Miz have some amazing promo's when he gets the chance. Some of his stuff on Talking Smack was great.


    "LET ME IN.."

  15. #115
    Relentless Admin

    Ed's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dudley, England
    Posts
    36,750
    Rep Power
    2419242
      Country                    England

    Re: AEW Fyter Fest 29/06/19

    He's not a good wrestler, but it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation because I can't think of many shows where he's been booked against a great wrestlers 1 on 1 and been given an opportunity to have the great, show stealing match on a card. On indies he's almost pigeon holed as being an undercard worker doing the character work match, not the work rate match. Seems like he's been slotted in that same position so far in AEW, but the potential is there to be a star down the line.

    I have to say I didn't care for MJF helping Cody at Fyter Fest given how he acted in his match and promo not one hour earlier; I get shades of grey might be cool but this is your most heat gaining heel on your roster and you're giving him positive personality traits on the 2nd show. Given they just reformed their tag team, it would of made a lot more sense if Dustin was the one to come out to check on Cody.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •