Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who should be crowned the first AEW Champion?

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: Who should be crowned the first AEW Champion?

Quote Originally Posted by Postman Dave View Post
    Fine, I'll disagree.

A new promotion should make new stars from their own names ASAP. Jericho is ace, but he's long past his peak, and could easily disappear to do Fozzy/New Japan stuff at a moment's notice. Page isn't going anywhere any time soon, he's perfect to build around long term as they establish themselves.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    I'd argue that it's more important for a new promotion to build an audience before it builds a star. For that reason Jericho is the clear cut choice. Random guy flipping channels who sees AEW Champion Chris Jericho immediately recognizes this new program as a legitimate big time wrestling program. If he sees AEW Champion Adam Page it seems like just another Impact on Pop, NJPW on AXS or ROH on whatever the hell they broadcast in. Another lil indy company in a sea of them.

Jericho gives AEW immediate value and they should use him as much as possible in the early days while building up Page and whoever else alongside him as viable contenders. For all the shit I'd like to give TNA for their early shows, I think they were smart to put the strap on a guy like Shamrock right away who had big name recognition from not just wrestling but MMA as well.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

Status

The issue would be if they took a midlevel guy and pushed him to the moon in AEW. Like Silk said putting the belt on Shamrock was a good move, when they'd put the belt on former WWE guys wore were never seen as stars that was the issue. Jericho is a main eventer, and has worked in multiple countries, guy is a great star to build around, and get the promotion going.

Character Jobber

Status

Jericho as champion benefits AEW more than it benefits Jericho. Jericho was champion in WWE during multiple stages in his career. Jericho has already proven he is a top-tier guy, and he has already proven that he is still relevant in wrestling and can still compete at a high level. I am a bit surprised it's not Cody in this match, though I guess if it was many people (myself included) would be referring to the belt as the All Cody Wrestling Championship.

THE FACE THAT RUNS THE PLACE

THE HEARTBREAK KID

Status
      Country                    Portugal

Tough call but I'd plump for Jericho to carry the Championship and be the first Champion.

I think while Jericho is still hot and someone who can draw in the audience they're essentially trying to recapture it makes total sense.

Page is still young and his time will come. No harm in losing to Jericho and then going on a redemption story and winning the Championship down the line.

"LET ME IN.."

Mid-Card Champion

Status

Have Moxley take out Page and then take his place in the match. After that...Page can chase the winner setting up the TNT debut in October

Character Jobber

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Miracle View Post
    Have Moxley take out Page and then take his place in the match. After that...Page can chase the winner setting up the TNT debut in October
    I like that idea. Moxley would be a better champion. Honestly my interest in AEW skyrocketed once Moxley joined.

THE FACE THAT RUNS THE PLACE

Johnny Cash Lis'nen

Status
      Country                    us=United States

So how would giving him the belt help that excitement?

Give it to Jericho as he brings legitimacy and eventually he drops it tomega who will eventually drop it to Moxley which should make this helt pretty prestigious out the get.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information