Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: The Briscoes

  1. #1
    People's Champion
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    7,130
    Rep Power
    367305

    The Briscoes

    Yeah i said it!!!!!

    Team is still one of the best tag teams out there. They perfected their style to match their gimmick as well.

    Check

    Briscoes vs Bucks Final Battle 2016
    Briscoes vs Bucks BITW 2018
    Briscoes vs Brody King and PCO at 17th anny show
    SCU vs Briscoes vs Young Bucks Final Battle 2018
    Scu vs Briscoes vs Bucks roh tv november 2018
    Briscoes and Martinez vs Adam Page and Young Bucks roh tv june 2018
    Briscoes vs Juice Robibson and Dave Finlay honor rising night 2

    Theres also a great 3 way street fight between War Machine vs Briscoes vs Shane Taylor and Keith Lee during end of 2016. I just forget the show
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

  2. #2
    Relentless Admin

    Ed's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dudley, England
    Posts
    36,759
    Rep Power
    2427840
      Country                    England

    Re: The Briscoes

    Ok so when I said Briscoes are spinning their wheels and you didn't like it, here's what I meant. They are a stale act fighting over the same set of titles they always fight over and during this exciting time in the wrestling business they are not doing anything to stand out or refresh their act or branch out and do something different, they're just doing tag team matches in ROH 95% of the time. We have seen the Briscoe Brothers tag team match 100s of times, what's lacking is the engagement of fans in the technically solid work they are doing to take these matches to the next level. Jay and Mark's promos used to be the most praised promos on WC back in the day because they were so good and believable but time stands still for no man and it hasn't stood still for The Briscoes, they are nowhere near as popular or relevant as they used to be. Other than maybe Dolph Ziggler, I can't think of an act that would benefit more from a change of scenery than The Briscoes, but I don't think that's ever going to happen. I think Jay's homophobic comments have caused the doors to be closed to them branching into other companies and other indies, and I also think with their businesses outside of wrestling that it's not that much of a lure to them to sign with other companies IF they did want to bring them in.

    With the Usos I can look at them in 2010 and them at 2014 and see a difference, I can look at them at 2014 and 2016 and see a difference, I can't say that about The Briscoes, especially Mark. The Young Bucks who I've often criticised for their repetitive in-ring work are fantastic at keeping themselves relevant and at the heart of exciting developments and feuds in wrestling through BTE, the Golden Lovers storyline and now AEW. I've seen the Briscoes work wXw Tag League in 2017 and Fight Club Pros tag tournament in 2018 and the matches really didn't deliver.

    The Briscoes are an all time great tag team. Are they one of the best tag teams in the world in 2015-2019? not for me, they don't define this era at all; New Day, Usos, Ringkamp, reDRagon, Revival, Young Bucks and Lucha Brothers do much more. I think most ROH fans would agree the Briscoes peak days and matches were a different era to the one we're in now. If this was the decade 2010-2019 I would absolutely see the argument for Jay because I loved his world title push and run, but there's not much of the singles stuff in the timeline we're looking at.

  3. #3
    People's Champion
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    7,130
    Rep Power
    367305

    Re: The Briscoes

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Ok so when I said Briscoes are spinning their wheels and you didn't like it, here's what I meant. They are a stale act fighting over the same set of titles they always fight over and during this exciting time in the wrestling business they are not doing anything to stand out or refresh their act or branch out and do something different, they're just doing tag team matches in ROH 95% of the time. We have seen the Briscoe Brothers tag team match 100s of times, what's lacking is the engagement of fans in the technically solid work they are doing to take these matches to the next level. Jay and Mark's promos used to be the most praised promos on WC back in the day because they were so good and believable but time stands still for no man and it hasn't stood still for The Briscoes, they are nowhere near as popular or relevant as they used to be. Other than maybe Dolph Ziggler, I can't think of an act that would benefit more from a change of scenery than The Briscoes, but I don't think that's ever going to happen. I think Jay's homophobic comments have caused the doors to be closed to them branching into other companies and other indies, and I also think with their businesses outside of wrestling that it's not that much of a lure to them to sign with other companies IF they did want to bring them in.

    With the Usos I can look at them in 2010 and them at 2014 and see a difference, I can look at them at 2014 and 2016 and see a difference, I can't say that about The Briscoes, especially Mark. The Young Bucks who I've often criticised for their repetitive in-ring work are fantastic at keeping themselves relevant and at the heart of exciting developments and feuds in wrestling through BTE, the Golden Lovers storyline and now AEW. I've seen the Briscoes work wXw Tag League in 2017 and Fight Club Pros tag tournament in 2018 and the matches really didn't deliver.

    The Briscoes are an all time great tag team. Are they one of the best tag teams in the world in 2015-2019? not for me, they don't define this era at all; New Day, Usos, Ringkamp, reDRagon, Revival, Young Bucks and Lucha Brothers do much more. I think most ROH fans would agree the Briscoes peak days and matches were a different era to the one we're in now. If this was the decade 2010-2019 I would absolutely see the argument for Jay because I loved his world title push and run, but there's not much of the singles stuff in the timeline we're looking at.
    Of the matches i posted, which ones have you watched? It seems like you re basing their current work on a few matches you saw in a tournament.

    Why would they change their gimmick? Its them. Usos had to find something that worked for them Briscoes already had it.

    Maybe watch the matches i posted and decide if the matches are good.

    They aren't leaving ROH it seems. Which is fine. Were basing on their work.

    The matches posted are highly regarded by fans. Thats how i found them to begin with. I dont watch ROH religiously. However i looked up show reviews and watched those shows that had great Briscoe matches ( or just good shows in general). When fans are saying the match was the best match on the show and various reviewers are giving their matches 4 and half stars. Its safe to say the fans are engaged.

    From your comments it seems you are basing your opinion on 3 or 4 matches you watched outside of ROH. Which isnt fair at all.
    Last edited by indyfan; 05-25-2019 at 12:22 PM.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

  4. #4
    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    18,506
    Rep Power
    1111365
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: The Briscoes

    Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post

    From your comments it seems you are basing your opinion on 3 or 4 matches you watched outside of ROH. Which isnt fair at all.

    Not to nitpick, but you've only suggested ROH matches in the OP. Is it not, arguably unfair, to base your opinion on their matches in one promotion when they work in others? I get ROH is their home promotion though.

    Don't think Ed has any issue with their gimmick being the same, it's the supposed lack of character progression/development and stories that keep them relevant/fresh/exciting.

    You're like the only person I've seen who stans the Briscoes this hard... and if you think they're the best tag team from 2015-19, fair enough. I've not seen much of them (I have enjoyed what I have) but I feel like there would have been much bigger noises made about them over the last 3-4 years if they had some awesome body of work the last 4 years.


    ~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:






  5. #5
    People's Champion
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    7,130
    Rep Power
    367305

    Re: The Briscoes

    Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    Not to nitpick, but you've only suggested ROH matches in the OP. Is it not, arguably unfair, to base your opinion on their matches in one promotion when they work in others? I get ROH is their home promotion though.

    Don't think Ed has any issue with their gimmick being the same, it's the supposed lack of character progression/development and stories that keep them relevant/fresh/exciting.

    You're like the only person I've seen who stans the Briscoes this hard... and if you think they're the best tag team from 2015-19, fair enough. I've not seen much of them (I have enjoyed what I have) but I feel like there would have been much bigger noises made about them over the last 3-4 years if they had some awesome body of work the last 4 years.
    Fair enough.....but they predominantly wrestle in ROH. It makes more sense to vase it on the promotion theycwrestle in 98% of the time. Im basing my opinion on a bunch matches versus Ed basing it on 3 or 4 matches in tournament in Europe.


    From what im hearing is this:

    Still wrestle in ROH = not good because you dont hear enough about it.

    Like i said if you guys dont believe me...watch the matches for yourselves and judge. Dont quess they mustn't be good anymore because theres no isnt enough buzz.

    Most people here wont watch ROH. So basically they lose by default? Ridiculous

    Basing on if they are good on mere speculation is hilarious
    Last edited by indyfan; 05-25-2019 at 12:59 PM.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

  6. #6
    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    18,506
    Rep Power
    1111365
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: The Briscoes

    Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Fair enough.....but they predominantly wrestle in ROH. It makes more sense to vase it on the promotion theycwrestle in 98% of the time. Im basing my opinion on a bunch matches versus Ed basing it on 3 or 4 matches in tournament in Europe.


    From what im hearing is this:

    Still wrestle in ROH = not good because you dont hear enough about it.

    Like i said if you guys dont believe me...watch the matches for yourselves and judge. Dont quess they mustn't be good anymore because theres no isnt enough buzz.

    Most people here wont watch ROH. So basically they lose by default? Ridiculous

    Basing on if they are good on mere speculation is hilarious
    I think you need to stop jumping to conclusions based on reading beyond what people are saying on a surface level tbh.

    Nobody said any of that and I haven't said anything negative in the slightest about them. Just that there hasn't been much buzz about them over the last few years. There's a reason for that - whether that be they just aren't turning heads much or whatever, I don't know. Never said it made them bad.

    Nobody has said they aren't going to watch the matches. I'm not particularly in a rush to because nothing I've seen from the Briscoes recently makes me want to rush into binging a list of their rec'd matches.

    Most people here probably aren't interested in ROH. Losing by default? No. But I think it's fair to say you aren't going to do well in things like this if the vast majority of the people participating have no interest in watching you. It says enough to me if people aren't interested in watching in the first place tbf but nobody's banned them from discussion.

    Absolutely nobody is basing it on speculation. I don't know if you're high or just not reading properly or jumping to conclusions because you're uber defensive and protective of the Briscoes or whatever.


    I'll watch them eventually but I can see why the Briscoes are not in the discussion whatsoever. For the reasons outlined above. Not that they are bad (and this whole thing isn't even an authority on who is good/bad at wrestling anyway since it seems extremely inconsistent)


    ~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:






  7. #7
    People's Champion
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    7,130
    Rep Power
    367305

    Re: The Briscoes

    Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    I think you need to stop jumping to conclusions based on reading beyond what people are saying on a surface level tbh.

    Nobody said any of that and I haven't said anything negative in the slightest about them. Just that there hasn't been much buzz about them over the last few years. There's a reason for that - whether that be they just aren't turning heads much or whatever, I don't know. Never said it made them bad.

    Nobody has said they aren't going to watch the matches. I'm not particularly in a rush to because nothing I've seen from the Briscoes recently makes me want to rush into binging a list of their rec'd matches.

    Most people here probably aren't interested in ROH. Losing by default? No. But I think it's fair to say you aren't going to do well in things like this if the vast majority of the people participating have no interest in watching you. It says enough to me if people aren't interested in watching in the first place tbf but nobody's banned them from discussion.

    Absolutely nobody is basing it on speculation. I don't know if you're high or just not reading properly or jumping to conclusions because you're uber defensive and protective of the Briscoes or whatever.


    I'll watch them eventually but I can see why the Briscoes are not in the discussion whatsoever. For the reasons outlined above. Not that they are bad (and this whole thing isn't even an authority on who is good/bad at wrestling anyway since it seems extremely inconsistent)
    Are you high?

    You just said..

    "I've not seen much of them (I have enjoyed what I have) but I feel like there would have been much bigger noises made about them over the last 3-4 years if they had some awesome body of work the last 4 years."

    That basically tells me since you didnt hear enough about them, they must not be doing a good body of work

    That is speculation.

    Since you havent seen the matches ive mentioned...some from the ROHs biggest shows, i find it hard to see your point.

    Go watch them and then let me know what you think. Atleast that way we can discuss them on a even level
    Last edited by indyfan; 05-25-2019 at 01:38 PM.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

  8. #8
    Relentless Admin

    Ed's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dudley, England
    Posts
    36,759
    Rep Power
    2427840
      Country                    England

    Re: The Briscoes

    I'm lost as to how watching Briscoes wrestle tournaments outside of ROH in different promotions in different countries (typically 3 matches per tournament), seeing them wrestle tours in New Japan and seeing them on ROH pay-per-views means I've got a skewered understanding on how good they have been VERSUS watching cherry picked matches from one company based on what reviewers are recommending. I'm not saying one method is better than the other, but you certainly are because you've made your mind up I'm not worth listening to on the Briscoes

    I've seen the Bucks matches and if the triple threat with SCU is the ladder war match, then I've seen that one too. They were alright but it's not my cup of tea and other matches from those shows were my MOTN. I would like to see the Juice and Finlay match because those are two great wrestlers and if it got time I could see it being real good.

    I'm not anti-ROH, if I was I wouldn't be praising the Gresham work in ROH, but I'm certainly not in love with them and would think it's fair to say they aren't in my top 10 favourite promotions to watch. People are allowed to have their favourite promotions and obviously the wrestlers from those favourite promotions will do well in their lists for this, so I don't think there's anything controversial with what I'm saying there. As far as my tastes go, I like good storylines and promos to go hand in hand with good action to take matches to the next level, I want a reason to care about the result of a match. Whether or not The Briscoes can win their 19th ROH Tag team title or whatever number they are up to while they cut more 'man up' promos on their farm isn't a draw to me in 2019, not as much as it was in 2011 that's for sure. The reason why I think that Rock N Roll Express match is so great is because the promo before hand from Ricky Morton gets everyone believing in them, which then makes the Briscoes heel work that much better, I'm seeing something different from them cause here they are taking on a team that can't hang with them athletically, but they're still being super vicious, making them bleed, going further than they need to to win. They're also in a match against a team that has even more experience than they do so there's a cool prime vs vet feel, and they're out to chase glory in one of the more famous tag competitions in wrestling history, so it's new ground for them.

  9. #9
    RainShaker's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Korakuen Hall Safe Standing Section
    Posts
    18,506
    Rep Power
    1111365
      Country                    Jamaica

    Re: The Briscoes

    Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Are you high?

    You just said..

    "I've not seen much of them (I have enjoyed what I have) but I feel like there would have been much bigger noises made about them over the last 3-4 years if they had some awesome body of work the last 4 years."

    That basically tells me since you didnt hear enough about them, they must not be doing a good body of work

    That is speculation.

    Since you havent seen the matches ive mentioned...some from the ROHs biggest shows, i find it hard to see your point.

    Go watch them and then let me know what you think. Atleast that way we can discuss them on a even level

    No. I have heard plenty about them. I just haven't heard anyone put them on a pedestal as being anywhere near the best in the world. There's a difference. Good, consistent workers don't get highlighted all that often but those that are considered to be the best in the world at what they're doing tend to have their names touted often. The Briscoes are good, and people always say as much, but whenever people are discussing tag team wrestling lately, their name isn't brought up all that much. Either nobody is watching them or people are watching them and they aren't the first to spring to the mind. Regardless, if people aren't watching you and aren't going out of their way to do so, what does that say? It either means people aren't that interested or that the Briscoes aren't doing anything to pull more people in. This could be for a variety of reasons.

    I fail to see how you automatically decide I'm calling them bad. I haven't done that. I simply said there's been no noise about the Briscoes for a long time now. That doesn't make them bad. It just implies they aren't outshining those who are consistently in the spotlight and discussion.

    It's silly to tell me that I'm speculating they're bad based on a lack of word of mouth considering the wrestlers I've touted on here as being good at times that don't get spotlighted by others over the internet either. Like I said, doesn't mean they're bad. Just means there's a reason why.
    Last edited by RainShaker; 05-25-2019 at 02:02 PM.


    ~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:






  10. #10
    People's Champion
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    7,130
    Rep Power
    367305

    Re: The Briscoes

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I'm lost as to how watching Briscoes wrestle tournaments outside of ROH in different promotions in different countries (typically 3 matches per tournament), seeing them wrestle tours in New Japan and seeing them on ROH pay-per-views means I've got a skewered understanding on how good they have been VERSUS watching cherry picked matches from one company based on what reviewers are recommending. I'm not saying one method is better than the other, but you certainly are because you've made your mind up I'm not worth listening to on the Briscoes

    I've seen the Bucks matches and if the triple threat with SCU is the ladder war match, then I've seen that one too. They were alright but it's not my cup of tea and other matches from those shows were my MOTN. I would like to see the Juice and Finlay match because those are two great wrestlers and if it got time I could see it being real good.

    I'm not anti-ROH, if I was I wouldn't be praising the Gresham work in ROH, but I'm certainly not in love with them and would think it's fair to say they aren't in my top 10 favourite promotions to watch. People are allowed to have their favourite promotions and obviously the wrestlers from those favourite promotions will do well in their lists for this, so I don't think there's anything controversial with what I'm saying there. As far as my tastes go, I like good storylines and promos to go hand in hand with good action to take matches to the next level, I want a reason to care about the result of a match. Whether or not The Briscoes can win their 19th ROH Tag team title or whatever number they are up to while they cut more 'man up' promos on their farm isn't a draw to me in 2019, not as much as it was in 2011 that's for sure. The reason why I think that Rock N Roll Express match is so great is because the promo before hand from Ricky Morton gets everyone believing in them, which then makes the Briscoes heel work that much better, I'm seeing something different from them cause here they are taking on a team that can't hang with them athletically, but they're still being super vicious, making them bleed, going further than they need to to win. They're also in a match against a team that has even more experience than they do so there's a cool prime vs vet feel, and they're out to chase glory in one of the more famous tag competitions in wrestling history, so it's new ground for them.
    Up until this post you made no mention that you watched any of the matches i mentioned. Its not that i thought you arent worth listening to but, if people are going to question a wrestler (s) body of work and not watch key matches its hard to take their opinion seriously. Everyone has bad matches or matches not worth talking about. Like i said...it seemed based of your first post that you were only basing it off of a few tournament matches.

    The Juice and Finley match is about 15 minutes


    Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    No. I have heard plenty about them. I just haven't heard anyone put them on a pedestal as being anywhere near the best in the world. There's a difference. Good, consistent workers don't get highlighted all that often but those that are considered to be the best in the world at what they're doing tend to have their names touted often. The Briscoes are good, and people always say as much, but whenever people are discussing tag team wrestling lately, their name isn't brought up all that much. Either nobody is watching them or people are watching them and they aren't the first to spring to the mind. Regardless, if people aren't watching you and aren't going out of their way to do so, what does that say? It either means people aren't that interested or that the Briscoes aren't doing anything to pull more people in. This could be for a variety of reasons.

    I fail to see how you automatically decide I'm calling them bad. I haven't done that. I simply said there's been no noise about the Briscoes for a long time now. That doesn't make them bad. It just implies they aren't outshining those who are consistently in the spotlight and discussion.

    It's silly to tell me that I'm speculating they're bad based on a lack of word of mouth considering the wrestlers I've touted on here as being good at times that don't get spotlighted by others over the internet either. Like I said, doesn't mean they're bad. Just means there's a reason why.
    I get what you saying but i recomment those matches.

    On the flip side i have heard so much about the Usos that when i check their stuff im left thinking over rated. Not bad, but not worth the hype. The Revival have grown on me.
    Last edited by indyfan; 05-25-2019 at 02:09 PM.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

  11. #11
    WAKE UP

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    32,449
    Rep Power
    336655

    Re: The Briscoes

    watched the hardcore match against PCO and King and thought it was OK but pretty middle of the road. the briscoes are still fun and good workers but have to agree with Ed's sentiment here. granted PCO and King are pretty shite, but I literally felt like I was stuck in a time capsule watching them do the same shit they were doing 5 years ago.

  12. #12
    Scumbag Role Model
    Tennessee Nicky's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    47,105
    Rep Power
    1345617
      Country                    United States

    Re: The Briscoes

    I’m actually shocked indyfan has watched THAT many matches in in the last five years.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:


  13. #13
    People's Champion
    indyfan's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    7,130
    Rep Power
    367305

    Re: The Briscoes

    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    I’m actually shocked indyfan has watched THAT many matches in in the last five years.
    Yeah yeah yeah. Im catching up.

    Just watched Briscoes vs Willie Mack and Jeff Cobb from ROH tv before the Crockett cup. Fantastic Match especially for tv.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •