Thread: Go Shiozaki

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

Go Shiozaki

One of the most maligned world champions for his run lasting back a decade at this point, somewhere along the line grew into a pretty darn great worker and a very complete performer as well. I think it started at the end of his AJPW run, with him winning the Triple Crown and having a spectacular defense over Kento Miyahara (sadly lost to the interwebs for all intents and purposes, like much of 2015 AJPW, the dark times.) and then subsequently forming a team with him. After a tumultuous breakup he wound up in one of the worst places to go for anyone, smack dab in the middle of the absolutely dreadful Suzuki takes over NOAH run and he had good matches through 2016 and even winning the GHC Title at one point, but it wasn't until NOAH got the hell away from all that and was Reborn, that he REALLY got in his groove, although it largely came through him being a largely ancillary player in his matches, with things being more about other people (Kotoge, Kiyomiya), he has also shown an ability to step up big as the featured performer in singles matches as well. I think his past will always hold him back from being any kind of main guy or really even that interesting on his own anymore from a storyline perspective, what he has actually brought to the table has been top notch stuff as a versatile worker with heavy hitting offense and provides better selling than most of his NOAH main event peers of his generation. I think he deserves a long look.

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Go Shiozaki

I thought the Doering match in 2015 was excellent. Would be a shame if some of that time in AJPW is lost.

I didn't manage to keep up with NOAH in 2018 but everyone who did seems to really rate Go highly as one of the best in the promotion. I enjoyed his team with Kaito against the Aggression. How was he in DDT?

I'd have to commit to watching a lot of the stuff I've missed over the years, but he has a chance of making my top 50.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Never had a problem with him as in ring worker despite striking me as Kobashi-lite. It's his personality and character that holds him back and always has been. Fans never fully got behind him. Fun to watch though.

Give me a list of matches you think are his best to watch.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I thought the Doering match in 2015 was excellent. Would be a shame if some of that time in AJPW is lost.
    His match against Kento 2 months later was even better but sadly I couldn't find it. Remember a lot of that stuff was when Samurai took a hardline stance against DM & such & AJPW of that time was the first thing they looked for pretty much. Thankfully NOAH are on GAORA who don't care about online stuff.

I didn't manage to keep up with NOAH in 2018 but everyone who did seems to really rate Go highly as one of the best in the promotion. I enjoyed his team with Kaito against the Aggression. How was he in DDT?
    The team with Kaito was really really good & Go helped him quite a bit. His 2017 team with Kotoge served a similar purpose, with comparable match quality in both.

I'd have to commit to watching a lot of the stuff I've missed over the years, but he has a chance of making my top 50.
    I have just the kind of thread in mind for you.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Oh yeah, & in DDT he was the best guy in his Block for sure, basically good stuff across the board against a fluctuating level of talent. His final against Takeshita was the best match of the tournament & Go himself did a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    Never had a problem with him as in ring worker despite striking me as Kobashi-lite. It's his personality and character that holds him back and always has been. Fans never fully got behind him. Fun to watch though.

Give me a list of matches you think are his best to watch.
    TBH if this took into account overness & push success he wouldn't have been nominated. As a wrestler he is very strong.

Check the Plat section plz.

WAKE UP

Status

Watched a title match against Nakajima from a couple years ago fairly recently and thought it was OK but still like most modern NOAH main events - overly long, plodding, lots of filler, not that well laid out, both guys came off fairly bland.

I was a fan when he was an up-and-comer but lost interest in him as a main event guy long ago, I feel like I'm going to be a hard sell here. But I'll watch more before jumping to any conclusions.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Nakajima was the epitome of bland during his title reign, & if there is a criticism of Go it's that like I alluded to, he didn't fully reach his potential until he was matched up with people more interesting & important to the company than him. In AJPW he had developed & seemed to get it, based on his matches with Joe & Kento but 2016 was again him in an awful position.

If I were to describ Go it wouldn't be as someone who is one of the elite level wrestlers, but I would liken him to a top prospect in baseball who ultimately grows to be one of the best Utility players in the game. That's who I see Go as. (Although in fairness I never saw what a lot of others saw in him & thought he would never be able to carry a company. His best work for sure was his last year in AJPW & the last 2 years in NOAH as a tag wrestler.)

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Shiozaki's recent match against Marufuji at Misawa's memorial show was very, very good. Built around Marufuji working over Shiozaki's arm which he sells really well.

Thread Information