Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NJPW Best of the Super Juniors XVI

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: NJPW Best of the Super Juniors XVI

There was a nice variety of matches up and down in the card. Especially the last three matches on the show. All three matches were different. It's taken a while but White has pretty much put it all together by this point. He was absolutely tremendous in this match. His work on Tanahashi's arm was fantastic. The little counters that he does look great, especially the sprawling defense for the twist and shout which was excellent. That's the stuff I love about wrestling when done correctly. Tanahashi sold the arm so well. The timing of his comebacks was on point and as always, his dragon screws were great. These two didn't have much chemistry before but I thought they clicked perfectly here. The finish was well done too.

Moxley definitely proved me wrong. I do think he has something to fix such as the timing of certain holds, the STF which was received with silence for example. But he mostly looked good. His offense looked much better and he did a nice job of beating down Juice as if he wasn't doing that himself. Juice was the star of the match for me though. His selling and bumping were excellent. I loved his willingness to go all out with his attacks too. All the praise will go to Moxley but Juice was the star of the match, in my opinion. The blatant rule breaking made me roll my eyes and the match missed its peak by a few minutes but other than that, this was very good.

Shingo and Ospreay definitely showed why they were the main event. Pretty much the great Climax that the entire BOSJ was building towards, except for the winner which was the wrong choice, in my opinion. Both guys going into the match incredibly strong with tons of momentum. As per usual with Ospreay matches, there were some crazy sequences which I thought were well paced out. The nearfall was done so well. The chemistry was great with Ospreay’s style intertwining with Shingo's perfectly

The whole tournament was pretty good with tons of good to great matches to watch. However, it lacked variety in some of the bigger matches. Some matches went too long too often. And the tournament dragged as far as the shows go. Sho vs Shingo was the match of the tournament with Ospreay vs Shingo a very close second.

Hail To The King

Status
      Country                    United States

Juice vs. Mox was a really good match give these two a program they should fight again

Also add I think Juice will face White in future for title
    Last edited by OMB; 06-05-2019 at 06:58 PM.

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    ​Brayden Bridges

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I thought the match was super good. Good stuff from both dudes, not surprised by the outcome tbh. It was weird seeing Moxley wrestle in something that’s not jeans and a tank top.

I liked the impaler double arm DDT, which is apparently called Death Rider.

Rest in power, Flock U
    Rest in power, TCON

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

King EC

Status

I loved Moxley vs. Robinson. It was fun to see Moxley in this new environment of NJPW, though he was right at home in a ferocious Attitude Era style brawl. Juice definitely carried, though, I have no problem acknowledging that. Dude straight up killed himself with the bumping he was doing. Props to both men. Gonna take a while to adjust to the phrase IWGP United States Champion Jon Moxley but I'm ready for the ride ahead. Side note: hope this is the last time Moxley wears that attire.

The BOSJ finals match was just ridiculous. Not for nothing but I can't help but to compare this bout to Cole vs. Gargano II last Friday. This match possessed the elements that the NXT Title didn't, which lead to it being panned by a lot of us. The emotion felt believable, there was great selling, the counters were crisp, the structure made sense, Shingo was wrestling stiff as fuck, Ospreay was pulling off jaw dropping maneuvers. That's how you create an epic. But, I also feel like they may have missed the mark giving Ospreay the win. Given the announcement that came afterward, it kind of made up for it. But this also seemed like a can't go wrong crowning moment for Shingo. I'll be interested in how he rebounds from this first loss.

Hell of a show and a decent tournament for the parts of it I saw.
    Last edited by Mr. Peanutbutter; 06-06-2019 at 12:03 AM.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique

HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

Watching TNA's monthly PPVs from the start
    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History

Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career

Hail To The King

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I loved Moxley vs. Robinson. It was fun to see Moxley in this new environment of NJPW, though he was right at home in a ferocious Attitude Era style brawl. Juice definitely carried, though, I have no problem acknowledging that. Dude straight up killed himself with the bumping he was doing. Props to both men. Gonna take a while to adjust to the phrase NJPW United States Champion Jon Moxley but I'm ready for the ride ahead. Side note: hope this is the last time Moxley wears that attire.

The BOSJ finals match was just ridiculous. Not for nothing but I can't help but to compare this bout to Cole vs. Gargano II last Friday. This match possessed the elements that the NXT Title didn't, which lead to it being panned by a lot of us. The emotion felt believable, there was great selling, the counters were crisp, the structure made sense, Shingo was wrestling stiff as fuck, Ospreay was pulling off jaw dropping maneuvers. That's how you create an epic. But, I also feel like they may have missed the mark giving Ospreay the win. Given the announcement that came afterward, it kind of made up for it. But this also seemed like a can't go wrong crowning moment for Shingo. I'll be interested in how he rebounds from this first loss.

Hell of a show and a decent tournament for the parts of it I saw.
    See I thought Will was great in it like I rather see fast pace style of matches then slow based ones Will deserved win

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    ​Brayden Bridges

3rd Degree WC HallofFamer

Status

NJPW Best of the Super Juniors XVI

I watched Mox v Juice and it was damn good. Juice is a star hard to believe it’s the same guy from NXT he’s still got a hell of a career ahead of him. Hope AEW snags Jim. I wonder if Renee picked out John’s outfit?
    Also great to see the absolute joy in Mox’s face during that match. He’s a happy dude these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Booty Vice; 06-06-2019 at 12:03 AM.

Spoiler:

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I think Shingo vs Ospreay was probably the right call. A NEVER title holder should definitely be capable of winning the tournament - if not, it'd be quite embarrassing tbh and destroy all credibility. It sucks that Shingo had to be sacrificed for that but I suppose they're trying to make Ospreay a big deal and beating the unbeaten guy is one way of doing it.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    I think Shingo vs Ospreay was probably the right call. A NEVER title holder should definitely be capable of winning the tournament - if not, it'd be quite embarrassing tbh and destroy all credibility. It sucks that Shingo had to be sacrificed for that but I suppose they're trying to make Ospreay a big deal and beating the unbeaten guy is one way of doing it.
    I think Shingo should've won but clearly Shingo is being moved up to the Heavyweight division (and with Hiromu returning, it makes sense to) so him losing to Ospreay doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things and doesn't hurt him one bit.

If anything, he would be losing to Dragon Lee at Dominion which isn't much better than losing to Ospreay as Lee is staying as a Junior whereas Shingo and Ospreay are not, Ospreay especially because he, like you said, is destined for a big push.

Quote Originally Posted by Booty Love View Post
    I watched Mox v Juice and it was damn good. Juice is a star hard to believe it’s the same guy from NXT he’s still got a hell of a career ahead of him. Hope AEW snags Jim. I wonder if Renee picked out John’s outfit?
    Also great to see the absolute joy in Mox’s face during that match. He’s a happy dude these days.
    Oh shit. Is Jim gonna be #AllIn ???

Juice Robinson (c) vs Jon Moxley - IWGP US Title
    Simply because all of the talk this match was getting, I decided to give it a watch. I'm not nearly as familiar with the Juice character as others, but his performance here reminded me whenever Bayley would drop the cutesy gimmick and instead allow the rage to take over. From the shedding of the dreadlocks to the more aggressive style, he brought a ton to the match, one in which he wasn't designed to be the one people talked about. I've never been overly high on Ambrose/Moxley, but I thought he did well enough here. His rough style seemed different enough from the usual NJPW that he allowed himself and the match to stand out. Although he's obviously the star in this encounter, to me it's really all about Juice's performance. Robinson got his ass kicked for such long periods and all he really had to offer were these big spots that he typically ended up hurting himself more than Moxley due to his desire to inflict as much punishment as possible. That allows a slight botch of overshotting Ambrose in the entrance way dive and the table not breaking during the cannonball to have more meaning. Robinson was willing to practically kill himself because that's the only way he knew he had a chance against Moxley. Moxley's finisher was an interesting one to me because it took him three attempts to finally hit Dirty Deeds, but Robinson kicked out. It astounded me and frankly made me wonder if NJPW's booking would just be really flawed. Instead, all of that focus on Dirty Deeds and the ultimate failure of that move allowed Mox to showcase his variation of that move - Death Rider. Even though it's simply an Impaler version of the Dirty Deeds, it's different enough that it looks as if it's a more deadly and effective version of Dirty Deeds. The Death Rider gives Mox the win to become the NEW IWGP US Champion. I don't know what's to come with Moxley in New Japan, but hopefully the extra talk this match is getting because of Moxley will further expose what a great talent Robinson can be. I know some people are calling this match as being better than any Dean Ambrose match. I'm not a great gauge on that, but I do know that this is going to be rated higher than any of my Ambrose WWE match ratings. A great proper start to Moxley's post-WWE career, but again, I found Juice to be the real star here. **** ¼

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Now I would post a long winded Review post on my thoughts from the Super Juniors Final, but I don't have that energy right now to do so. I rather take about the last few Matches from the Show if I can.

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Jay White. Tanahashi won their WK12 match, White won the G1 outing, Tanahashi won at KOPW ’18, White beat him for the IWGP Heavyweight Title at New Beginning this year so safe to say this was a beautiful ending to the feud it happens to stay like that with White winning the head to head 3-2. The Ace is a Master at playing up the Babyface role and did so perfectly with White playing the evil Heel in this. I really commend the Cameraman in this, he really played up the pain and anguish both guys went through and does it even better during the Robinson/Moxley Match as well. Well done guys.

Juice Robinson vs Jon Moxley. Hey..hey now Moxley looked at home out there during this one. Jon doesn't fit this style of Wrestling I got none of that in this Match at all. He was like a Kid in a Candy Story being able to use all those Weapons, and push the limits more than in WWE for his pleasure. Moxley hitting jabs to the eye looked brutal in the best possible way. He also went after the leg and busted out the ring post Figure Four, which I love. Juice fighting back with blood around his eye made for a great visual. These guys were made for the other and I'm going to need a few more Matches between them. I would say though Juice is a fucking nutcase like Jon doing Sentons off the Entrance Ramp, and then later towards Jon into the Table you know better ha. Juice with the new haircut had his Sting Crow moment for me, because I've always compared him to Sting and her personality and the love he gets from the people. High hopes he holds the IC or IWGP World Title one day, and when it comes to Jon he's able not only show off his talking, but he can learn something new and add more to his in Ring work which you saw more as the Match went on. Another banger of a Match for the SJ Finals Show.

Shingo Takagi vs. Will Ospreay. Whether I like the winner who won this I can't deny his performance in this Match at all. Shingo if he didn't have Will's respect he damn sure got it after that war. Everytime either guy were feeling themselves a little too much, the other guy would humble the other and I always like see that Seesaw type of moment in Matches. Ospreay and Takagi are moving on up like the Jeffersons and I look forward how both guys are handed and treated within the Company in 2019 going forward.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

As I mentioned on twitter, if Shingo/Ospreay ends in Shingo winning, it's my MOTY because that was an amazing match. I'm just left scratching my head on what on earth this Ospreay heavyweight push is, and frankly what the Shingo heavyweight push is AFTER losing. More fail up booking. Isn't Ospreay a made enough star of the Junior Heavyweight division without ending Shingo's streak?

Juice had a couple of unfortunate botches in the Moxley match, but I found it a really refreshing match to watch Mox look motivated and try and work a different match to the New Japan house style without it being fucking terrible like Elgin/Omega in a ladder match. Thought the match was very good and gets me excited for what's coming later from Mox's US title reign. The Dirty Deeds being kicked out of after years of being a protected finisher just to end the match 1 minute later is classic New Japan, and lets be real that's not much of a change in finisher.

Didn't watch Switchblade/Tanahashi.

The opener 6 man tag with Gresham, the lucha guys and the young lions was a hoot. WTF is Dragon Lee doing in an opener and never appearing again all about when he's the champion though!

WAKE UP

Status

haven't watched the top 2 matches yet but Tanahashi-White is very good. I say this as a guy who doesn't rate Tanahashi that highly or Switchblade. But it was very good and the first time White has impressed me. He looked like a main event level talent with how he went after Tanahashi's rehabbed arm and kept the heat going whenever he was in control. Ya'll like NJPW more than I do so don't sleep on this.
    Last edited by King Steventon; 06-08-2019 at 04:01 PM.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I thought it was match of the night by a wide margin. Obviously Moxley will get the coverage (Even though he was far out wrestled by Robinson), but the match was very much deserving of more hype than its getting.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

Yeah, the most confusing part to me is Ospreay being included in the BOSJ. He has to win the tournament after his NEVER title win otherwise his push falls flat. It's a hard spot because Shingo has ridiculous momentum and it makes his tournament seem like a bit of a waste if he gets beaten by Ospreay at the end. But that is, essentially, what had to happen. I'm not sure why Ospreay didn't go unbeaten tbh. I am guessing he was included because they needed someone like him involved with KUSHIDA and Hiromu both out. I wouldn't say Shingo is really failing upwards if the only dude who's beaten him is someone transitioning to the heavyweight scene anyway. Weird situation to have but I think Shingo will be ok. I don't mind the Kojima match being next for him because, well, he doesn't really have anything else to do since Ospreay is the only one he has to get a win back from.

I'm not all that into Jay White but I do think he continues to improve everytime he steps into the ring with Tanahashi.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information