Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will things be different for Roman this time?

Status
      Country                    United States

Will things be different for Roman this time?

This debate again.

As fucked up as it might be, beating cancer probably won't be enough to secure Roman's long term future as a beloved babyface. Some of the love he gained through his valiant fight seems to already be dwindling and if you watched the most recent episode of Smackdown, you may have noticed some boos scattered throughout the arena when he made his debut on the blue brand and punched out Vince McMahon to end the show in impactful fashion. In the LD there was a bit of contention about how this went down and what it all meant.

From my perspective, it could be a bad omen. Roman coming to SD and immediately being thrust to the forefront as the biggest deal on the brand. It just feels like WWE is setting Roman up for failure once more if they go this route, treating him as more important than the potential best in the world Daniel Bryan and the feelgood story of the year Kofi Kingston, who most fans simply favor over Roman. And I'm not saying that's definitely going to happen and I'm mad about it either. I'm just in the camp of wanting Reigns to finally overcome the stigma that's always been attached to him and he has never had a better opportunity to actually win over the crowd and be embraced as a/the face of the company.

And then on the other hand I realize that a lot of people don't really think it matters if he's cheered or booed. I'm sure most of us are kind of resigned to believe that maybe he'll never be cheered because booing him is the 'cool' thing to do or that some fans are just too full of himself to ever accept him as a top guy. But in all honesty, I've never really been impressed by him so I can see where the complaints come from. Again, that mostly boils down to how he's been booked though. I think he has the tools to carry the torch and not be booed out of the building every night if WWE just changed their approach to how they book him slightly. I enjoyed his recent program with McIntyre quite a lot because the emotion involved with it, but also because it didn't revolve around the world title and it wasn't going to main event WrestleMania. It felt like WWE struck a good balance on making that feud important but not oversaturating the programming with it. I think we could use a few more months of that before Reigns returns to top dog status.

So with Reigns moving to Smackdown Live and getting this fresh start, with seemingly more fan support than he's had in years, can this be a turning point in his career? Will WWE play its cards wisely and finally manage to make Reigns the hero they see him as? Does it even really matter if he's cheered or booed at this point? How would you like to see his Smackdown career unfold? It's certainly an important crossroads in his career, so let's hear what you think might come from this next chapter in The Big Dog's career.

Firefly Fun House

Status

Re: Will things be different for Roman this time?

First of all if people are already booing Roman then they are shitty people. I’ve never been a fan but he’s earned a leash a lot longer then 2 months. Secondly if he’s gonna be entering a program with Vince then chances are it’s far away from the title pic and anyone with aVince is gonna be a heat magnet. Of course only time will tell but I feel proclamations of the Sky is falling are far to premature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

I don't see him being Champion until the move happens. They'll put the belt on him for that and not before hand for me. That will give us a couple of months with Kofi as Champion, then a heel will have a short run before Reigns takes over for that move, just my opinion on that.

As for the booing, he'll always have that problem unless they just turn him heel. It's the same with Cena, unless he gets a full blown heel run, we'll always have those boos no matter what.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Last Real Man Hype

Status

All I'm gonna say is that Superman Punch to McMahon looks so fucking awkward, the way he takes those little steps when the guy's already close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    All I'm gonna say is that Superman Punch to McMahon looks so fucking awkward, the way he takes those little steps when the guy's already close enough.
    The Superman punch is hands down my least favorite thing about Roman.

The Planet's Admin

Status
      Country                    England

It was sadly obvious at mania that the good will has quickly gone from Roman's segments.

While I don't think I'd boo him if I was at a live show, I'm against the idea that you can't voice your frustrations at Roman Reigns the character and booking anymore because he survived cancer and so the rule is everyone has to like and golf clap his segments. If you hate the Roman Reigns character and in-ring style before he went to fight leukemia, you'd respect Joe the man for fighting and winning, but you're still not gonna enjoy his promos and matches when he's still exactly the same wrestler he's been since 2014. I like the move of putting him on SD, but it has the feel of just changing the scenery as a fix for him being stale rather than Roman evolving as a performer and doing something fresh. Getting away from Seth is a big plus however.

As far as his SD run goes, Vince did well against Kofi as a main villain, but I'm not sold on Vince being a regular part of TV again doing authority figure storylines. I think part of the problem Reigns is gonna have is the show is weak on credible heels; Elias doesn't have the reputation of a serious wrestler, Nakamura/Rusev/The Bar are midcarders that would be Roman dropping down a level to work, that just leaves Bryan and Orton and Bryan's injured at the moment. An Orton/Reigns program doesn't fill me with excitement.

Firefly Fun House

Status

Booing the man in person after he beat Leukemia is shitty. If you don’t like how his character is or his booking that’s fine but just keep your mouth shut for awhile. I don’t think I’m going out on to much of a limb saying that. Don’t cheer don’t boo have class. I know that’s a noble concept for wrestling fans.

Status

Ed's right about Roman Reigns.

It's hard too boo a man that has beaten leukemia, whether he's a face or heel. It's very tricky to make a storyline outside his battle with the disease, while you try to establish his character on TV.

You also gotta look at the injuries that's concerning Daniel Bryan right now, and how long it may effect him. Maybe the Superstar Shake-Up, resulting of it sending him to SmackDown, could have something to do with Reigns joining the brand? Maybe Vince's setting him up to turn heel to replace Bryan, depends on how serious his injuries are. Or, if Vince did this to try to steal the spotlight from Kofi Kingston by being the bigger babyface, possibly yielding a potential WWE title match at some point.

FANTASY SPORTS CHAMPIONSHIPS
    BASEBALL: 2014 | FOOTBALL: 2016 | BASKETBALL: 2017-18, 2018-19

Status

Yeah, I'm not so much the type to boo a face cuz I don't love how he's booked. And especially not right after he comes back from beating cancer.

But I absolutely don't think this will change things for him significantly. Sure, some fans will respect what he's been through. But many others won't - as evidenced by the booing already.

The way that I've always viewed it, there are a few factors that led to the fans reacting the way they have toward Roman. One is the booking. Two is the character - much like Charlotte, a lot of the character dynamics don't make him sympathetic at all as a babyface. And third is his promos - I've mentioned before that he is actually very well spoken when allowed to simply talk, but the scripting for him and his delivery rarely connect as we as they should for a top guy. Why do those three things matter? Basically, I can't see any of them changing significantly enough to bring more of those fans around on him. If anything, he's going to get shoved further down the throats of those who don't love him
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

The whole "dont boo Roman because he beat Cancer argument is silly". Joe Anoa'i beat Cancer. The Roman Reigns character however is still the exact same Roman Reigns character that people hated. Him beating Cancer doesn't excuse the WWE from making everything revolve around Roman or having him in the same never changing Super Babyface role. If something in character isn't entertaining to someone then it isn't entertaining to them, you shouldn't be forced to cheer for them just because they beat Cancer in real life.

People aren't booing Joe, they're booing the stale ass Roman Reigns character.

There was good will there from the fans when Roman returned, he received a Hero's welcome, everyone was happy for him, everyone was happy he beat Cancer again. But Vince and WWE have predictably tried to use that and hide behind that as they keep booking Roman in the same fashion that got him so hated.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    The whole "dont boo Roman because he beat Cancer argument is silly". Joe Anoa'i beat Cancer. The Roman Reigns character however is still the exact same Roman Reigns character that people hated. Him beating Cancer doesn't excuse the WWE from making everything revolve around Roman or having him in the same never changing Super Babyface role. If something in character isn't entertaining to someone then it isn't entertaining to them, you shouldn't be forced to cheer for them just because they beat Cancer in real life.

People aren't booing Joe, they're booing the stale ass Roman Reigns character.

There was good will there from the fans when Roman returned, he received a Hero's welcome, everyone was happy for him, everyone was happy he beat Cancer again. But Vince and WWE have predictably tried to use that and hide behind that as they keep booking Roman in the same fashion that got him so hated.
    Absolutely agreed.

I also don't think he'd want to just be cheered as some pity or because the fans feel obliged to because he's a cancer survivor. Obviously I can't speak for the man but if I were in his position I wouldn't want people to cheer for me because they feel they have to, nor would I want them to stay quiet because they feel guilty for booing him.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Firefly Fun House

Status

Will things be different for Roman this time?

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that Roman Reigns doesn’t want to be booed period, he’s a face. Also they shouldn’t not boo the man out of pity it’s out of respect. And I really can’t believe I have to like make a case that it’s not cool to boo a man who literally just beat leukemia. Was it cool to boo the King after his heart attack? I have no idea what’s even going on anymore.

Last edited by JakeYourBooty; 04-21-2019 at 01:13 AM.

Status

I would like to believe Roman is smart enough to understand that fans don't boo him for who he is as a person, they boo because of how his on screen character is booked. He got shown the utmost respect when he left and came back. I don't think anyone here has any ill will towards the man Joe Anoa'i.

Firefly Fun House

Status

Wrestlers live their gimmick that’s what everyone says and they put a ton of themselves into it. Roman is mostly Joe I imagine. It’s really hard to not take it to heart when your trying your best to be good and people are gonna boo you especially after what he’s been through. But I can’t do this anymore it’s actually bothering me that I have to argue this. Maybe I need a WC vacation.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by JakeYourBooty View Post
    Wrestlers live their gimmick that’s what everyone says and they put a ton of themselves into it. Roman is mostly Joe I imagine. It’s really hard to not take it to heart when your trying your best to be good and people are gonna boo you especially after what he’s been through. But I can’t do this anymore it’s actually bothering me that I have to argue this. Maybe I need a WC vacation.

I completely get where you're coming from but I feel like there are layers to everything. I don't think it can be as simple as "he beat cancer so we can't boo him ever again" because wrestling is completely unique. Like you said, in many ways Joe is Roman, but Roman is also its own beast, and ultimately is a character that was created and is controlled by WWE. You could make the argument that fans boo Roman because they want better for Roman and, in turn, Joe. It's a lot of nuances in this business that you don't deal with in other fields or areas of life. Anyways, I think we all want the character to turn a corner and become fully embraced by the fans somehow. I'd actually love to hear from the man himself how he feels about the booing and beyond that, how he feels about the character he portrays.

Firefly Fun House

Status

I’m not even saying never boo him again but man 45 days isn’t much of a grace period. He hasn’t even been on tv or done enough promos since he’s been back to even warrant boos. I’m just very perplexed by this whole thing.

Status

I’m not even saying never boo him again but man 45 days isn’t much of a grace period. He hasn’t even been on tv or done enough promos since he’s been back to even warrant boos. I’m just very perplexed by this whole thing.

I got you bro. For the record, I think the fact people were already booing on Smackdown was lame on their part. Really didn't even give him a chance to speak or step into the ring before turning negative. There's definitely no hope for some fans.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I got you bro. For the record, I think the fact people were already booing on Smackdown was lame on their part. Really didn't even give him a chance to speak or step into the ring before turning negative. There's definitely no hope for some fans.
    You're right EC.

The fans were too impatient to let him do his thing before jumping the gun by hating on him immediately.

Absolutely no class from the fans. It seems unfair on his part that he's simply doing his job like everyone else on that roster.

FANTASY SPORTS CHAMPIONSHIPS
    BASEBALL: 2014 | FOOTBALL: 2016 | BASKETBALL: 2017-18, 2018-19

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

Whats a suitable grace period? In a years time is it fine to be sick of the same old stale Roman Reigns and boo him? Joe beating Cancer isn't an excuse for the WWE to get away with booking the same Roman that people were sick of seeing dominate everything and everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I would like to believe Roman is smart enough to understand that fans don't boo him for who he is as a person, they boo because of how his on screen character is booked. He got shown the utmost respect when he left and came back. I don't think anyone here has any ill will towards the man Joe Anoa'i.
    Exactly this. When he returned everyone cheered for him, thats people showing their respects to Joe the man behind the character.

There's a big difference between booing Joe and booing the Roman character.

The big thing with his negative reactions already is its clear nothing has changed as far as how WWE push, book and utilise the Roman Reigns character. Its the exact same Roman that the vast majority of the audience were sick and tired of before he had to take time off. WWE cant hide behind the Cancer, and its pretty low to expect to be able to do so. They had a chance to chnage what Roman Reigns is, to take the character in a different direction and make him less of that Superman Punch spamming Superman that everyone hated. Instead they didn't change a thing.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

I can say without a shadow of a doubt that Roman Reigns doesn’t want to be booed period, he’s a face. Also they shouldn’t not boo the man out of pity it’s out of respect. And I really can’t believe I have to like make a case that it’s not cool to boo a man who literally just beat leukemia. Was it cool to boo the King after his heart attack? I have no idea what’s even going on anymore.

He's also a professional with self respect. Nobody wants to be treated differently or like a charity case because they got ill.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Thread Information