Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 84

Thread: 2019 Ray Leppan Memorial Award Ongoing Discussion (Worst Wrestler)

  1. #41
    The Only 2x WC HOF
    Shock's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    22,517
    Rep Power
    2198145

    Re: 2019 Ray Leppan Memorial Award Ongoing Discussion (Worst Wrestler)

    You know you've got my support here, Ed. I don't think he's a particularly good wrestler (he has exciting finishing stretches but the rest of match is a total bore). He's never had a good singles run in his whole career.

    And if Rollins isn't a good wrestler, what is he good at? He's not a good character, he's not a good talker, he's not likeable. So what does he actually do that's enjoyable?

    Add in the boring matches, lame promos, the wmoty contender to boot - he would be my choice right now.

    Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk





    30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

    Shock Reviews Archive

    The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon



    The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed



  2. #42
    King EC

    Mr. Peanutbutter's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Labrador Peninsula
    Posts
    10,679
    Rep Power
    1517353
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 Ray Leppan Memorial Award Ongoing Discussion (Worst Wrestler)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I think it's time to talk about Seth Rollins for this award. This was supposed to be his year as a babyface champion/leader of his brand, and he's bombed.

    - dull Royal Rumble match win
    - Making the Shield's final match pointless at Fastlane (a good match) with THE SHIELD'S LAST STAND Network Special that was fairly underwhelming
    - an angle of a match at Wrestlemania where he cheated as a babyface to beat Brock
    - His character becoming 'Becky's girlfriend' early in his title run
    - Bad mixed tag match against Corbin and Lacey at Extreme Rules
    - Losing a lot of fan support by shilling for WWE by attacking Jon Moxley's decision to leave in an interview
    - Bad main event against Corbin at Stomping Grounds
    - September's angle of tag team champs that don't get along with Braun, leading to two average at best matches for Seth at Clash of Champions
    - The worst match of the year at HIAC Vs THE FIEND
    - Another stinker of a match at Crown Jewel Vs THE FIEND

    I really enjoyed the MITB match with AJ and the Summerslam match with Brock, but I don't think those 2 nights in a 365 day year are enough to save him from contention for this. The dirt worst of WWE this year has involved Seth more than it's involved any other wrestler.
    I think not. And I'm sure there'll be more that side with you on this than there are that side with me but I don't think he belongs anywhere near this award. A vast majority of the points you made against him are totally circumstantial and nearly irrelevant to this award. How is WWE running The Shield's Final Chapter a strike against him at all? That's heinous. How is it his fault he got matched with The Fiend in a horribly booked HIAC match? It's not like it was his idea to have the red lighting, for The Fiend to no sell a thousand stomps and for that finish to happen the way it did. That was all WWE and The Fiend bringing HIM down. And for God's sake, are we really going to bring up his social media mishaps in this thing? I think this case is flimsy because so little of what you said has to do with him being a BAD WRESTLER. I look at this award as being for the people who get pushed and every opportunity to succeed but are just not good enough to make it work, not for guys who get set up for failure at every turn. So I can't see nominating a guy who was in three of the best PPV matches of the year and really has no absolute duds that weren't doomed from the start for reasons beyond his control. Now if there was a Worst Booked Wrestler award... I would have nominated Seth months ago. But that's not my perception of how this award is given out.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique



    HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career




  3. #43
    Last Real Man Hype
    Marketh's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    18,570
    Rep Power
    583768

    Re: 2019 Ray Leppan Memorial Award Ongoing Discussion (Worst Wrestler)

    I don't care much for Rollins, but have to side with EC's points. I read Ed's argument and think it makes a stronger case for a Least Popular Wrestler award.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

  4. #44
    Fearless University
    ETE's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    7,151
    Rep Power
    430343
      Country                    New Zealand

    Re: 2019 Ray Leppan Memorial Award Ongoing Discussion (Worst Wrestler)

    Ignoring Rollins massive flaws and limitations as a Pro Wrestler there's simply no getting away from the fact that he's been involved with so much of the worst shit to happen in WWE this year.

    Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I think not. And I'm sure there'll be more that side with you on this than there are that side with me but I don't think he belongs anywhere near this award. A vast majority of the points you made against him are totally circumstantial and nearly irrelevant to this award. How is WWE running The Shield's Final Chapter a strike against him at all? That's heinous. How is it his fault he got matched with The Fiend in a horribly booked HIAC match? It's not like it was his idea to have the red lighting, for The Fiend to no sell a thousand stomps and for that finish to happen the way it did. That was all WWE and The Fiend bringing HIM down. And for God's sake, are we really going to bring up his social media mishaps in this thing? I think this case is flimsy because so little of what you said has to do with him being a BAD WRESTLER. I look at this award as being for the people who get pushed and every opportunity to succeed but are just not good enough to make it work, not for guys who get set up for failure at every turn. So I can't see nominating a guy who was in three of the best PPV matches of the year and really has no absolute duds that weren't doomed from the start for reasons beyond his control. Now if there was a Worst Booked Wrestler award... I would have nominated Seth months ago. But that's not my perception of how this award is given out.
    Is it not fair to say though that these awards have everything to do with booking?

    Booking is a huge part of how a Pro Wrestler comes across after all. If they're booked like shit they'll appear shitty, if they're booked great they'll tend to appear great.




  5. #45
    The Only 2x WC HOF
    Shock's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    22,517
    Rep Power
    2198145

    Re: 2019 Ray Leppan Memorial Award Ongoing Discussion (Worst Wrestler)

    It is not unreasonable to expect your most pushed male wrestler to produce more than a couple of good matches in a year. His promos suck, and his matches are full as dishwater.

    Yeah his booking may suck but he isn't exactly shining outside of that either.

    Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk





    30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

    Shock Reviews Archive

    The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon



    The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed



  6. #46
    King EC

    Mr. Peanutbutter's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Labrador Peninsula
    Posts
    10,679
    Rep Power
    1517353
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 Ray Leppan Memorial Award Ongoing Discussion (Worst Wrestler)

    Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    Ignoring Rollins massive flaws and limitations as a Pro Wrestler there's simply no getting away from the fact that he's been involved with so much of the worst shit to happen in WWE this year.



    Is it not fair to say though that these awards have everything to do with booking?

    Booking is a huge part of how a Pro Wrestler comes across after all. If they're booked like shit they'll appear shitty, if they're booked great they'll tend to appear great.
    Of course booking is crucial and will make or break a lot of wrestlers but just look at who has won these awards historically.

    The Great Khali, Garrett Bischoff, Jinder Mahal, Shane McMahon...

    Their booking IS why they won this award but it's the fact that they were pushed out of their depth and didn't have the goods to back it up, in the ring or on the mic. In Seth's case, he got over and was/is having good matches. WWE has just sabotaged him time and time again, first with "The Man's Man" shit and now this horrible Fiend nonsense where most of the shittiness has been delivered by or as a result of The Fiend's character. I mean, yeah, he gave some bad promos of his own, specifically the MizTV segment. That was on him. But so much of his badness this year has nothing to do with him.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique



    HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career




  7. #47
    The Only 2x WC HOF
    Shock's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    22,517
    Rep Power
    2198145

    Re: 2019 Ray Leppan Memorial Award Ongoing Discussion (Worst Wrestler)

    Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post

    Their booking IS why they won this award but it's the fact that they were pushed out of their depth and didn't have the goods to back it up, in the ring or on the mic.
    This certainly sounds like Rollins to me.

    He had a hot streak last year of good matches where the fans were behind him. Pretty much from this time last year he hasn't produced anything to justify why he should be the most pushed male wrestler on the roster.

    Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk





    30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

    Shock Reviews Archive

    The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon



    The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed



  8. #48
    King EC

    Mr. Peanutbutter's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Labrador Peninsula
    Posts
    10,679
    Rep Power
    1517353
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 Ray Leppan Memorial Award Ongoing Discussion (Worst Wrestler)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    It is not unreasonable to expect your most pushed male wrestler to produce more than a couple of good matches in a year. His promos suck, and his matches are full as dishwater.

    Yeah his booking may suck but he isn't exactly shining outside of that either.

    Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
    Well I'd be interested to know who everyone thinks is putting on better matches on average than Seth in WWE right now. Even if you count NXT which is almost an uneven playing field, I would only say Bryan, Gulak, Roddy, Riddle and Lesnar are for sure at his level or higher... and there are a handful I would say have a case to go either way like Gable and Styles. That ain't bad for someone who was feuding with Corbin and The Fiend for half the year so far.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique



    HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career




  9. #49
    Fearless University
    ETE's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    7,151
    Rep Power
    430343
      Country                    New Zealand

    Re: 2019 Ray Leppan Memorial Award Ongoing Discussion (Worst Wrestler)

    Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Of course booking is crucial and will make or break a lot of wrestlers but just look at who has won these awards historically.

    The Great Khali, Garrett Bischoff, Jinder Mahal, Shane McMahon...

    Their booking IS why they won this award but it's the fact that they were pushed out of their depth and didn't have the goods to back it up, in the ring or on the mic. In Seth's case, he got over and was/is having good matches. WWE has just sabotaged him time and time again, first with "The Man's Man" shit and now this horrible Fiend nonsense where most of the shittiness has been delivered by or as a result of The Fiend's character. I mean, yeah, he gave some bad promos of his own, specifically the MizTV segment. That was on him. But so much of his badness this year has nothing to do with him.
    Its the same thing with Rollins though. He's been pushed out of his depth and doesn't have the goods to back it up.

    Rollins can do one thing; put on an entertaining but spotty match and that's it. He has no idea how to display personality or work a character/gimmick. He's a terrible promo. He's bland. Even his ringwork is lacking in that he cant tell a story or even sell, he can bump but he can't actually sell.

    He's got no business being in the spot he's been in for all of 2019, and that's backed up by the vast majority of everything he's done and been involved with being so terrible. Its not on to blame everyone/everything else when there's been a common denominator within most of WWE's wrestlecrap this year.

    I also dont think its right to say Seth has been sabotaged. His booking has been poor, the handling of The Fiend feud from day one, the handling of the Man's Man stuff, dragging out the Corbin feud, etc all bad booking mistakes. But I cant say Seth has been sabotaged when in recent memory we've had instances like Rusev Day being killed off, that was sabotaging booking, or Miz being fed to Shane, that was sabotage. With Rollins its just been they wanted to look progressive with Becky, and went overboard with The Fiend gimmick. They wouldn't geek Lesnar out twice to this guy if they were going to sabotage him.




  10. #50
    King EC

    Mr. Peanutbutter's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Labrador Peninsula
    Posts
    10,679
    Rep Power
    1517353
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 Ray Leppan Memorial Award Ongoing Discussion (Worst Wrestler)

    Quote Originally Posted by ETE View Post
    Its the same thing with Rollins though. He's been pushed out of his depth and doesn't have the goods to back it up.

    Rollins can do one thing; put on an entertaining but spotty match and that's it. He has no idea how to display personality or work a character/gimmick. He's a terrible promo. He's bland. Even his ringwork is lacking in that he cant tell a story or even sell, he can bump but he can't actually sell.

    He's got no business being in the spot he's been in for all of 2019, and that's backed up by the vast majority of everything he's done and been involved with being so terrible. Its not on to blame everyone/everything else when there's been a common denominator within most of WWE's wrestlecrap this year.

    I also dont think its right to say Seth has been sabotaged. His booking has been poor, the handling of The Fiend feud from day one, the handling of the Man's Man stuff, dragging out the Corbin feud, etc all bad booking mistakes. But I cant say Seth has been sabotaged when in recent memory we've had instances like Rusev Day being killed off, that was sabotaging booking, or Miz being fed to Shane, that was sabotage. With Rollins its just been they wanted to look progressive with Becky, and went overboard with The Fiend gimmick. They wouldn't geek Lesnar out twice to this guy if they were going to sabotage him.
    Even if sabotage isn't exactly the right term, it's been WWE constantly getting in the way of him flourishing when it's so damn easy. The fans like him, they want to support him. That's clear. But WWE make it impossible when they insist on putting him over The Fiend in a horribly booked match and then prolonging the feud and even going back to the well and doing a lot of the terrible shit from HIAC at Crown Jewel. Same thing happened with the Corbin feud, really. Fans never wanted it and WWE decided to run three fucking PPV matches with it. And I don't need to go into detail on why the Becky stuff was a bad idea. It was like WWE said "Alright Seth, you've beat Lesnar for the Universal Title at WrestleMania, you're coming off a fantastic match with AJ, the fans are really into you! Here's what we're gonna do next... you're gonna work this beta male angle where Becky emasculates you and you'll be feuding with two of the least popular wrestlers in the company!"

    And on that same note, I think it's bullshit to say that he's pushed beyond his depth when he's been pretty unanimously cheered as the top face champion up until the point they started having him do the melodramatic bullshit with The Fiend. Go look at Mania, the night after, Stomping Grounds, SummerSlam, any Raw in between... he was over. And having good matches. As far as on-screen stuff goes, he was giving you what you wanted from your top face. Now that's not to say there aren't other guys who could do the same, or even do it better, but he was doing his job nonetheless.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique



    HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career




  11. #51
    Fearless University
    ETE's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    7,151
    Rep Power
    430343
      Country                    New Zealand

    Re: 2019 Ray Leppan Memorial Award Ongoing Discussion (Worst Wrestler)

    Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    Even if sabotage isn't exactly the right term, it's been WWE constantly getting in the way of him flourishing when it's so damn easy. The fans like him, they want to support him. That's clear. But WWE make it impossible when they insist on putting him over The Fiend in a horribly booked match and then prolonging the feud and even going back to the well and doing a lot of the terrible shit from HIAC at Crown Jewel. Same thing happened with the Corbin feud, really. Fans never wanted it and WWE decided to run three fucking PPV matches with it. And I don't need to go into detail on why the Becky stuff was a bad idea. It was like WWE said "Alright Seth, you've beat Lesnar for the Universal Title at WrestleMania, you're coming off a fantastic match with AJ, the fans are really into you! Here's what we're gonna do next... you're gonna work this beta male angle where Becky emasculates you and you'll be feuding with two of the least popular wrestlers in the company!"

    And on that same note, I think it's bullshit to say that he's pushed beyond his depth when he's been pretty unanimously cheered as the top face champion up until the point they started having him do the melodramatic bullshit with The Fiend. Go look at Mania, the night after, Stomping Grounds, SummerSlam, any Raw in between... he was over. And having good matches. As far as on-screen stuff goes, he was giving you what you wanted from your top face. Now that's not to say there aren't other guys who could do the same, or even do it better, but he was doing his job nonetheless.
    For me him being out of his depth is more about his lack of talents, and one dimensional skillet. In no way is he good enough to be the top Babyface.




  12. #52
    Your Favourite Member's Favourite Admin

    Ed's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dudley, England
    Posts
    37,838
    Rep Power
    2835283
      Country                    England

    Re: 2019 Ray Leppan Memorial Award Ongoing Discussion (Worst Wrestler)

    Quote Originally Posted by The EC
    I look at this award as being for the people who get pushed and every opportunity to succeed but are just not good enough to make it work, not for guys who get set up for failure at every turn
    Kalisto and Chad Gable managed to have good matches with Baron Corbin, so why can't Seth Rollins if he's a good wrestler? The mixed match challenge was full of more entertaining matches than we got at Extreme Rules, so why did the Secky tag match suck so much? Was Strowman Vs Seth anywhere near as good or memorable as Strowman Vs Reigns? The truly great wrestlers would of found a way of overcoming the situation and at least making one of these a success.

    I'll agree that the Fiend stuff was tough for him to overcome and have good matches in, but I can't just forget about how bad those matches were and how lame Seth's performance was. Bad booking can contribute to you being the worst wrestler in the world if it gives the viewers more chances to think less of you. I don't think Rusev deserved to have the blame at his doorstep for the shite Ziggler feud a few years ago, but it was still a worst feud of the year contender never the less because we still had to watch it.

    Also, male wrestlers who have had a better year than Seth: Ricochet, Bryan, Kofi, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Andrade, Rey Mysterio, Finn Balor, Ali, Rowan, Roman Reigns, Alexander, Big E, Woods, McIntyre, Cesaro, Gable and Nakamura. (based off my spreadsheet).

    If we had 12 months of the fiend, this would be a different story, but I don't think we're going to end up with enough bad Fiend matches that make his year worse than Seths.
    Last edited by Ed; 11-04-2019 at 06:01 AM.

  13. #53
    Fearless University
    ETE's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    7,151
    Rep Power
    430343
      Country                    New Zealand

    Re: 2019 Ray Leppan Memorial Award Ongoing Discussion (Worst Wrestler)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Kalisto and Chad Gable managed to have good matches with Baron Corbin, so why can't Seth Rollins if he's a good wrestler? The mixed match challenge was full of more entertaining matches than we got at Extreme Rules, so why did the Secky tag match suck so much? Was Strowman Vs Seth anywhere near as good or memorable as Strowman Vs Reigns? The truly great wrestlers would of found a way of overcoming the situation and at least making one of these a success.

    I'll agree that the Fiend stuff was tough for him to overcome and have good matches in, but I can't just forget about how bad those matches were and how lame Seth's performance was. Bad booking can contribute to you being the worst wrestler in the world if it gives the viewers more chances to think less of you. I don't think Rusev deserved to have the blame at his doorstep for the shite Ziggler feud a few years ago, but it was still a worst feud of the year contender never the less because we still had to watch it.

    Also, male wrestlers who have had a better year than Seth: Ricochet, Bryan, Kofi, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Andrade, Rey Mysterio, Finn Balor, Ali, Rowan, Roman Reigns, Alexander, Big E, Woods, McIntyre, Cesaro, Gable and Nakamura. (based off my spreadsheet).

    If we had 12 months of the fiend, this would be a different story, but I don't think we're going to end up with enough bad Fiend matches that make his year worse than Seths.
    I was going to make the same point about Corbin. I mean hell his matches were the best matches of the KOTR tournament, so there's really no excuse for Rollins not delivering if he's supposedly so amazing in the ring. Corbin's not a great ring worker, but he's shown numerous times he can rise up to the challenge and level of his opponent. Was Seth just not good enough? Because Baron excels as the bully heel working over a smaller babyface, that's where he really shines in ring, but with Rollins things just never clicked. I put ti down to Rollins lack of babyface fire, he doesn't know how to sell or play the babyface sympathy card in a match.

    Too many excuses have to be made to excuse all the shit Rollins has been involved with in 2019.




  14. #54
    The Only 2x WC HOF
    Shock's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    22,517
    Rep Power
    2198145

    Re: 2019 Ray Leppan Memorial Award Ongoing Discussion (Worst Wrestler)

    When was the last time Rollins dragged any mediocre wrestler to his supposed level? You'd think for someone whose main selling point is that he's this amazing wrestler, he'd have some stuff to show for it.

    Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk





    30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

    Shock Reviews Archive

    The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon



    The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed



  15. #55

    Re: 2019 Ray Leppan Memorial Award Ongoing Discussion (Worst Wrestler)

    I liked Rollins' wins at Rumble and Wrestlemania.

  16. #56
    TAKE THE DREAM~

    MC 16's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    The Lesnar Farm
    Posts
    8,090
    Rep Power
    1116892
      Country                    England

    Re: 2019 Ray Leppan Memorial Award Ongoing Discussion (Worst Wrestler)

    Seth is mediocre but he has his moments like the Brock matches to prop him up. Although the Fiend matches are the worst. Didn't watch the Corbin matches though.
    We Don't Confrom, Kiss Ass Or Get Married
    Spoiler:


    Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads

  17. #57
    King EC

    Mr. Peanutbutter's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Labrador Peninsula
    Posts
    10,679
    Rep Power
    1517353
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 Ray Leppan Memorial Award Ongoing Discussion (Worst Wrestler)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Kalisto and Chad Gable managed to have good matches with Baron Corbin, so why can't Seth Rollins if he's a good wrestler? The mixed match challenge was full of more entertaining matches than we got at Extreme Rules, so why did the Secky tag match suck so much? Was Strowman Vs Seth anywhere near as good or memorable as Strowman Vs Reigns? The truly great wrestlers would of found a way of overcoming the situation and at least making one of these a success.

    I'll agree that the Fiend stuff was tough for him to overcome and have good matches in, but I can't just forget about how bad those matches were and how lame Seth's performance was. Bad booking can contribute to you being the worst wrestler in the world if it gives the viewers more chances to think less of you. I don't think Rusev deserved to have the blame at his doorstep for the shite Ziggler feud a few years ago, but it was still a worst feud of the year contender never the less because we still had to watch it.

    Also, male wrestlers who have had a better year than Seth: Ricochet, Bryan, Kofi, AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Andrade, Rey Mysterio, Finn Balor, Ali, Rowan, Roman Reigns, Alexander, Big E, Woods, McIntyre, Cesaro, Gable and Nakamura. (based off my spreadsheet).

    If we had 12 months of the fiend, this would be a different story, but I don't think we're going to end up with enough bad Fiend matches that make his year worse than Seths.
    And what exactly was so bad about the Corbin matches or the Clash match with Braun? I truly feel like they were all average or slightly above average quality PPV matches. You're using them as if they were terrible matches which should be an indictment on Seth when they aren't. The only bad match he had within those feuds would be the Stomping Grounds match with Baron and that came down to the mess created by Lacey being the special referee. There was absolutely nothing wrong with their Super Showdown match, and I found the mixed tag match and Strowman matches to be pretty solid. From an on-screen perspective, yes, the feud with Corbin was a setback for him, but only because it sucked the life out of his reign to have him matched with someone that so many people didn't want to see anywhere near the title and that's where "The Man's Man" shit started. But the matches weren't bad.

    Is your list meant to be wrestlers who are having better years than Seth in ring, or just all around better years? If it's the first, then I think you've got some names in there that I don't see at all. And if it's the second, well, he shouldn't be the Worst Wrestler just because he's not having the best year.

    Interesting to me that you're ready to rule out The Fiend for this. The only good thing about his year are the Firefly Fun House skits and his cool entrances. The Balor match was just average (though if I'm really being honest, it was just a regular old Bray match) and then the two Rollins matches are apparently the worst thing to ever happen in pro wrestling, so how is he in the clear? Is him randomly attacking retired wrestlers for months that good of shit? Suppose he finishes the year without ever having a good match or storyline, which is a serious possibility, how is he not a candidate?
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique



    HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career




  18. #58
    Your Favourite Member's Favourite Admin

    Ed's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dudley, England
    Posts
    37,838
    Rep Power
    2835283
      Country                    England

    Re: 2019 Ray Leppan Memorial Award Ongoing Discussion (Worst Wrestler)

    For me the matches were below average and with the talent under wwe contract, the bar should be higher than having 20 minute below average matches for your world title PPV matches.

    Those names come from my spreadsheet on # of matches and how many of them I enjoyed (project on another site). It’s about in-ring work, nothing to do with promos, booking or position on the card.

    Bray’s first match of the year came in August and then it was October I believe before he had a 2nd. that’s why for now he’s in the clear because I think being mediocre for 12 months is worse than being bad for 3 months. I thought his debut with Finn was executed well too.

  19. #59
    King EC

    Mr. Peanutbutter's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Labrador Peninsula
    Posts
    10,679
    Rep Power
    1517353
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 Ray Leppan Memorial Award Ongoing Discussion (Worst Wrestler)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    For me the matches were below average and with the talent under wwe contract, the bar should be higher than having 20 minute below average matches for your world title PPV matches.

    Those names come from my spreadsheet on # of matches and how many of them I enjoyed (project on another site). It’s about in-ring work, nothing to do with promos, booking or position on the card.

    Bray’s first match of the year came in August and then it was October I believe before he had a 2nd. that’s why for now he’s in the clear because I think being mediocre for 12 months is worse than being bad for 3 months. I thought his debut with Finn was executed well too.
    I suppose this is the big disconnect for us. Bray gets a pass for having good presentation, basically. Seth is the worst for being booked into oblivion. I just don't think that's a fair measure for who's the best and worst wrestlers.

    Anyways, I think I've pretty much covered why I feel Seth shouldn't be in the running for this. So, here are some people who I feel deserve this award more than him...

    Shane McMahon - Still a front runner for me and I think he needs no explanation.

    Bobby Lashley - Overall pretty bad at pro wrestling in 2019. Saving grace would be being involved in the six man at Fastlane and the FCA match with Braun.

    Braun Strowman - Horribly stale and a waste of time on a weekly basis, I feel. Bad WrestleMania storyline, bad Lashley storyline (save for the FCA match), bad Tyson Fury storyline.

    Dolph Ziggler - Does he have any highlights this year? I have trouble thinking of any. Maybe getting ruined by Drew in that cage match. Came back and had that awful "IT SHOULD'VE BEEN ME" character that stunted Kofi's title reign.

    Lars Sullivan - Dark horse in my eyes. Hasn't wrestled since June and probably won't wrestle again this year, but dude was really stinking up the joint, often times twice a week, when he was active.

    Shane Thorne - An unwelcome addition to any NXT episode. I don't think I could name any redeeming qualities to his year, other than the fact he's been mostly benign.

    Moose - Horribly unfit to his character, cuts some bad promos and gets way too much exposure for his talent level.

    Madman Fulton - One of the most boring wrestlers alive. An instant skip anytime he's on Impact.

    Tommy Dreamer - No explanation needed, right?

    Bad Luck Fale - Really skates by because he has solid tag matches and wrestles top tier talents but he brings nothing to the table for me as a competitor. Brought down the G1 as usual. Had one good match against Okada, been pretty poor in singles work besides that.


    Now, a luxury for a lot of these guys is that they aren't the Universal Champion so the standard is different for them, therefore they'll probably get a pass from a lot of people. Personally I think it's clear that all these guys have been bigger stains on their companies in 2019 than Seth and none of them come close to the same highs that Seth has with his two Brock matches, the AJ match, the Shield matches, the Rumble win and the slew of really solid Raw matches.
    ​​​​​​​​ 2019 King of Wrestling Clique



    HOW ABOUT YOU READ THESE THINGS?

    WC's Greatest Superstars in WWE History
    Burn It Down!: The Top 25 Matches of Seth Rollins' Career




  20. #60
    Your Favourite Member's Favourite Admin

    Ed's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dudley, England
    Posts
    37,838
    Rep Power
    2835283
      Country                    England

    Re: 2019 Ray Leppan Memorial Award Ongoing Discussion (Worst Wrestler)

    Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I suppose this is the big disconnect for us. Bray gets a pass for having good presentation, basically. Seth is the worst for being booked into oblivion. I just don't think that's a fair measure for who's the best and worst wrestlers.
    Bray doesn't get a pass for good presentation, he gets a pass for only wrestling 3 matches this year I don't think it's fair to say someone was the worst wrestler of 2019 if for two thirds of 2019 I didn't have to endure a match from them.

    Shane McMahon - Still a front runner for me and I think he needs no explanation.
    Agreed he's a contender.

    Bobby Lashley - Overall pretty bad at pro wrestling in 2019. Saving grace would be being involved in the six man at Fastlane and the FCA match with Braun.
    I kinda liked the Finn stuff mania season as well. I wouldn't call him good, but he's had an average year for me.

    Braun Strowman - Horribly stale and a waste of time on a weekly basis, I feel. Bad WrestleMania storyline, bad Lashley storyline (save for the FCA match), bad Tyson Fury storyline.
    This is actually a very good shout, I really haven't enjoyed Braun this year and he's had some bad feuds.

    Dolph Ziggler - Does he have any highlights this year? I have trouble thinking of any. Maybe getting ruined by Drew in that cage match. Came back and had that awful "IT SHOULD'VE BEEN ME" character that stunted Kofi's title reign.
    I thought the match they dropped the titles to Viking Raiders was good, but that's really about it. Mediocre year.

    Lars Sullivan - Dark horse in my eyes. Hasn't wrestled since June and probably won't wrestle again this year, but dude was really stinking up the joint, often times twice a week, when he was active.
    Stinking up the joint with his two televised squash matches? I think he wrestled a lot less than you're remembering. Can't be considered for this imo with 2 matches.

    Shane Thorne - An unwelcome addition to any NXT episode. I don't think I could name any redeeming qualities to his year, other than the fact he's been mostly benign.
    I think he's been having good matches since NXT went to USA

    Moose - Horribly unfit to his character, cuts some bad promos and gets way too much exposure for his talent level.

    Madman Fulton - One of the most boring wrestlers alive. An instant skip anytime he's on Impact.

    Tommy Dreamer - No explanation needed, right?
    Listen, I watch Impact only to watch Tessa, I'm not watching matches I know sound horrible on paper I have no idea what their years have been like.

    Bad Luck Fale - Really skates by because he has solid tag matches and wrestles top tier talents but he brings nothing to the table for me as a competitor. Brought down the G1 as usual. Had one good match against Okada, been pretty poor in singles work besides that.
    tbh he skates by because not many of us watch NJPW, and it's been a down year for interest in the company, but god yes this guy for 4 weeks of the year looks very much the worst professional wrestler employed by any major company. I think you're being generous saying he had a good match with Okada. Bound to be one of my 3 noms.

    Now, a luxury for a lot of these guys is that they aren't the Universal Champion so the standard is different for them, therefore they'll probably get a pass from a lot of people. Personally I think it's clear that all these guys have been bigger stains on their companies in 2019 than Seth and none of them come close to the same highs that Seth has with his two Brock matches, the AJ match, the Shield matches, the Rumble win and the slew of really solid Raw matches.
    You've thrown up names in Ziggler, Braun and Shane which I can get along with the argument they deserve this award, they've been mediocre and don't have the highs to their name that Seth has. However, I disagree that it's clear that those guys have been a bigger stain on WWE than Seth has. Shane I can see because nobody wanted to see him after mania and we had to wait until October for him to finally fuck off, but Braun has had such a irreverent, forgettable year (to the point you had to remind me of the bad stuff in there) that I don't see him as some big stain on the company and a reason why fans are turning off the product. Seth however I feel like I see people complain about him every week and he's someone who comes to mind very quickly when I think about the bad parts of WWE this year.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •