Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Wrestler of the Year Ongoing Discussion

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: 2019 Wrestler of the Year Ongoing Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    i think it’s a quantity issue. Bryan is having great matches but sort of on a once a month schedule and now he’s injured again. Ricochets having very good matches on almost a weekly basis (and a MOTYC with the vikings).
    I'll have to take your word on that because looking at these matches they don't look like very good matches and I don't here much buzz for them.

Will have to try and check the Roode match out though.

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status
      Country                    United States

2019 Wrestler of the Year Ongoing Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    I'll have to take your word on that because looking at these matches they don't look like very good matches and I don't here much buzz for them.

Will have to try and check the Roode match out though.

So you’re judging match qualities by reading about them instead of watching them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by JakeYourBooty View Post
    So you’re judging match qualities by reading about them instead of watching them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    In a way, but I'm also not out-right dismissing the matches either. If the matches look great, I'll watch them. That's certainly a factor. I also take in account how much buzz they get online, which isn't a whole lot. Maybe a gif or two but that's really it. But if you lot are saying they are better then they look, I will give them a watch to see for myself.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

We're half way through the year (boy it's gone quick) and I keep going through my favourite matches of the year and keep seeing Will Ospreay, Shingo Takagi and Timothy Thatcher. So I would say that these three are the top 3 wrestlers of the year. Thatcher probably could beat both if he didn't occasionally disappear months at a time. Ospreay and Shingo are in the G1 which will give them a big advantage over Thatcher too. There are others catching up but I don't see these three dropping any soon. The three to beat, in my opinion.

Hail To The King

Status

I think Riddle is a good nod still he has put on pretty good matches at a consit bases. I also like to put Sami Callihan out there as well.

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Relentless Admin

Status

I've Will Ospreay out ahead at #1 with a gap that's surely only going to widen this month in the G1. 2nd I've got David Starr who I think is the best guy on the indies and a rare case of someone being the best talker in the world as well as being great in the ring. Then there's a bit of a pack of guys in at third like Ricochet, Gresham, Miyahara, Dragon Lee, Thatcher, Walter who've been really good this year also.

Match for match however WALTER is still in the running for WOTY for me because almost every match he has is important and given time to be good (sans the odd NXT UK squash here or there). Ospreay for example still has to wrestle a hell of a lot of New Japan 3 star tag matches in the year. I fully expect he'll end up with the most matches in my top 100 again this year. By the time I catch up with his last 3 Progress matches (Vs Starr in a tag, Vs Kingston and Vs Ilja) he might have moved up to my #2 in the world anyway.

WAKE UP

Status

how boring is it I still think Bryan is my WOTY? Pretty much every PPV match he's had has been good at worst, the Styles match is my least favourite and that was still 'only' rock solid. Carried Kofi Kingston of all people to my MOTY, and carried him previously in the Chamber. Had a really fun tag against Heavy Machinery, who are fun but were clearly again being carried. I guess WALTER would be my #2 which again is another very boring answer.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    how boring is it I still think Bryan is my WOTY? Pretty much every PPV match he's had has been good at worst, the Styles match is my least favourite and that was still 'only' rock solid. Carried Kofi Kingston of all people to my MOTY, and carried him previously in the Chamber. Had a really fun tag against Heavy Machinery, who are fun but were clearly again being carried. I guess WALTER would be my #2 which again is another very boring answer.
    Bryan was there or thereabouts for me around Wrestlemania time, but the last few months I can't switch that part of my brain off that says 'this is a complete waste of Daniel fucking Bryan' to have him go from being WWE Champion to dicking around tagging with Rowan, wrestling Heavy Machinery for one of the least prestigious titles in the company. As much as I appreciate these tag matches he's having, I'm not loving them and I hardly think he's having the best tag matches in the world right now which is what he'd need to be doing if he's to be considered a wrestler of the year contender providing this is now his spot for the rest of the year.

Status

So as we enter the final quarter of the year, I feel like this award is closed to being sealed for me, barring something nuts happening. My top pick right now is Will Ospreay and I feel he has a good cushion on my other top choices. Dude is having the year of his life and I can't name anyone else who has consistently kept me engaged in their matches and delivered gratifying performance one after another.

After Ospreay, I have a lot of love for Shingo Takagi, Daniel Bryan, Roderick Strong, Minoru Suzuki and yeah, Imma even say Seth Rollins. Take away the Corbin match at Stomping Grounds and I don't think he has had one truly bad match all year, plus he has the Raw six man where he teamed with Cena and Balor, the SHIELD reunion match, a very enjoyable tag match with Kofi vs. The Bar on the post-Mania Raw, and then three matches that I rate very highly on my favorites of the year with Lesnar at Mania and SummerSlam and Styles at MITB. He'd have to have some killer matches these last three months, plus a total collapse from the other guys I listed in order to get my vote but I do have to shout him out as someone I have my eye on.

WAKE UP

Status

Hard pass on that. Granted I've enjoyed more Ospreay matches this year than any other, but for every one I think is good there's like 5 that are drizzling shits.

Rollins has had maybe the most spotlight of any wrestler going this year and none of his matches were particularly good. Absolute stinker of a main event guy.

I'd say the contenders are:

- Drew Gulak - I'd say the WWE WOTY is between him and Bryan. He's been lumbered with some turds on the 205 roster, but his matches with Lorcan, Tozawa and Swerve were all killer and he's been a great top heel for the 205Live brand.

- Daniel Bryan - was great in the AJ match at the start of the year, carried Kofi Kingston in 2 PPV main events, the WM match being a MOTYC. The 3-way with Owens and Ali was also real good. The tag team with Rowan was a bit of a waste, but the stuff with New Day and Heavy Machinery was really fun, even if it wasn't the serious main event level stuff most of us would want with him. I imagine he could be serious #1 contender if the tag against Rowan/Harper delivers.

- WALTER - I don't think his 2019 is as strong as his 2018 or 2017, but it's a sign of how mediocre the rest of the scene is he's still better than everyone else. Good matches across the board in WWE, wXw, PROGRESS and EVOLVE. MOTYCs against Bate, Starr and Druganov. Carried goobers such as Lucky Kid and JD Drake to career matches.

- Yuji Okabayashi - probably the Japan WOTY. The Nomura fued and his run in the Champions Carnival being 2 of the most exciting things happening in Japan in 2019. He also had the two tags vs Violent Giants and the Sekimoto title defence on his resume this year.

- Timothy Thatcher - has somehow slipped into the role of guy who rarely turns up, but always delivers. He has basically gone full BattlARTS this year, pretty much all his best matches being in that quasi-shoot/MUGA style - the 3 matches vs Yuki Ishikawa, the rubber match with Daniel Makabe, the Bloodsport match with Hideki Suzuki and AMBITION finals vs WALTER.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

I've got a few guys in mind. Will Ospreay, Shingo Takagi, HARASHIMA and Timothy Thatcher.

Ospreay has had some bad matches among the great ones. More so than the others.

Shingo Takagi is maybe my #1 at the moment. Great tag matches at the start of the year, great BOSJ, carrying his block, great G1, my MVP of that block. Had a few okay matches but nothing I'd hate.

HARASHIMA. Extremely consistent and versatile. A very good match every other month. The king of the DDT Houseshows. Lacks that big match other than the Aoki match tbh. He may face Takeshita (who is a contender too) next month so that might change.

Usually when Thatcher wrestles it's a great match or near enough. However, the occasional spells of no matches from him hurts him a lot. That's the only thing I think hurts him being #1.

Relentless Admin

Status

Looking on my geeky spreadsheet, Will Ospreay and Walter are the only two wrestlers who are leading the way for most matches I've thought were good this year. David Starr was up there but he's faded after some bad main events and limited bookings in bigger indie companies. However if Thatcher took more bookings and didn't disappear for like 3 months he'd be in the running too. If I watched more AJPW I'm sure Kento Miyahara would be in the running too.

For me Ospreay peaked at the Shingo match. After he wins back the Junior title, it seemed to be a slam dunk for wrestler of the year unless you truly dislike his style because his volume was so great and he was rumoured to be doing the G1, who was gonna be able to touch him for volume. However I think the amount of tournaments he's worked has been his undoing because his year became too samey, we were seeing too much of the same types of matches and I don't think he was close to being the best wrestler of the G1. By the time he gets announced for the Super J Cup, I'm over it, I've no interest in him working another tournament where all he's doing are matches with no story or juice behind them, all he's doing is working matches that he knows will get praised, I can't lose myself in his character work because there is none, I can't get excited about his career trajectory because New Japan can't make their made up if he's Jr or heavyweight, they move him around for whatever tour they want to draw in. He started the year winning the NEVER title off Ibushi and now he's essentially in a Junior tag team with Robbie Eagles, what's the plan here? isn't that a backwards step? I don't want to see this new tag team win matches because he should be aiming higher than this now. I watched the Amazing Red match last night, and it's so predictable and long, it was a slog to get through that I can't be arsed to watch his other two matches in the tournament.

WALTER though I never feel like that, I've not seen one match of his this year that I thought was bad, I'm getting stories that I can invest myself in and he has a couple MOTYC to his name. The question marks on him are WWE cutting his indie dates down now so we won't get him giving back to the promotions that built him up (missing wXw tag league is a shame) and these erratic finishes to matches he's doing recently where a clothesline out of nothing is ending a match that still felt it had 5 minutes to go.

Everyone is still comfortable off the pace of Walter's 2018.

Fearless University

Status
      Country                    New Zealand

The two names that stick out to me are Baron Corbin and Tessa Blanchard. But I guess Tessa goes in the Women's category, though I've enjoyed her work as a Pro Wrestler in 2019 immensely more than any of the guys.

Corbins had a really good 2019, good enough to where more and more people have seen some good in him. He's had most of the best matches of his career, some good promos, and great heel work.

Relentless Admin

Status

I watched six Timothy Thatcher matches this weekend (Kingston, Lorcan, Lorcan and Burch, Work Horseman, Bobby Gunns and Gresham) and they were all very good at minimum. The title change with Gunns is a tremendous performance from him against a lesser talent, it's his version of Walter Vs Lucky Kidd Carat final. He has some interesting bookings coming up too against Low Ki and Jordan Devlin, so I think Thatcher is more than in the wrestler of the year discussion now.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Will try and check most of them out. The Kingston match, for sure. Looks like Thatcher making that final push for WOTY status.

Relentless Admin

Status

And having caught up with OTT, David Starr has now entered WOTY discussion for me. If this makes any sense, he's had more matches I have LOVED this year and been excited by than anyone in the world, mainly because his matches go hand in hand with good builds so I care about the result and stories. Will Ospreay can have all the 4 star tournament matches he wants, that stopped being interesting in May.

Status

After his last few performances on NXT TV and with the Survivor Series triple threat coming up looking VERY promising, I would not be surprised at all if Roderick Strong ended up being one of the finalists for this award.

WAKE UP

Status

Eh, while he's consistent the only real stand-out match he's had this year was the Riddle match. Nothing else will be memorable by the time we get to the year end.

Jobber

Status

EDIT: Hell with it. My vote goes to Chris Jericho.
    Last edited by WrestleRacer91; 11-16-2019 at 06:15 AM.

Hail To The King

Status

Darby Allin is killing it lately be a great nod

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information