Thread: Jonathan Gresham

WAKE UP

Status

Jonathan Gresham

The Octopus!

I feel like I've seen enough to atleast warrant a thread for him, and every time I see him he looks good. Lots of technical skill and legit ability and he brings enough intensity and heat his matches never feel like exhibitions.

I know he has fans here, but otherwise he's quite under the radar, a guy who you have to really seek out, but like all treasure it is worth digging up. Good matches with Thatcher, Zack, Yehi, Takeda from Bloodsport and even Jay fucking Lethal of all people. He's on the cusp for me right now, but I am sure the more I watch the more his stature will climb.

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Jonathon Gresham

I'm a big fan and he'll likely be in my top 50 after being great last year and on course to be great again this year. In fact almost anytime I've seen him during this period he's been very good. He's definitely one I'd need to hunt down indie matches of 2015-17 to get a better feel of him.

He's in BOSJ this year which is cool to see him branch into Japan and do something new.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

Re: Jonathan Gresham

Anyone can have a match as good as he did with Lethal will be on my list. Have always been a huge fan. Honestly, like Ed said, every time I've ever seen him he's pretty much been good-MOTY level. He formed a similar career arc to what TJ Perkins did for many years in that he was great but nobody would push him as much as they should have. Since the indies got raided all to hell Gresham finally got a few bones last year though I largely feel ROH has largely fucked up with him. Regardless though, he's up there. Actually I could see an argument for him being push for push among the best in the world.

WAKE UP

Status

Really enjoyed the other 2 matches with Lethal from Masters Of The Craft and the Ironman match, even if the Ironman is mostly about the excellent final five minutes. For someone to get repeated really good matches out of Jay Lethal in 2018 is something to take notice of. Not sure he'll go too high but that alone should get him in my Top 50.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Anyone can have a match as good as he did with Lethal will be on my list. Have always been a huge fan. Honestly, like Ed said, every time I've ever seen him he's pretty much been good-MOTY level. He formed a similar career arc to what TJ Perkins did for many years in that he was great but nobody would push him as much as they should have. Since the indies got raided all to hell Gresham finally got a few bones last year though I largely feel ROH has largely fucked up with him. Regardless though, he's up there. Actually I could see an argument for him being push for push among the best in the world.
    How have they fucked up? Hes tagging with one the top guys in the promotion and he main events shows with him. His matches vs Lethal and tagging with him have all been great.

From what i have seen from Gresham, im enjoying. The tag match with him and Lethal vs Haskins and Hot Sauce was greatness.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Relentless Admin

Status

I feel like my biggest weakness with Gresham is that his ceiling for matches is lower than a lot of your usual suspects of great wrestlers in 2019 where as much as I love the dudes work, he's not going to have many matches make my top 100 this year. The Daniel Makabe match aside, I don't know if I'd call anything he's done this year as a great match. A lot of it is down to booking and him not being in spots to have important matches or main events, like the BOSJ for example where he had a tournament of good but not great matches, but the opportunity wasn't there to have anything stellar. However, there's also some times I feel like he could hit that next level in a match and it never comes.

Thankfully, Vs David Starr at PWG 200 feels like one of those matches that pushes beyond Gresham's regular good technical performance and delivers something great with emotion and crowd investment behind it. Probably his 2nd best match this year.

Relentless Admin

Status

If you enjoyed Gresham Vs Zack from Final Battle last year, then check out the main event of the 2016 Americanrana show where they have a 2/3 falls match. You get the technique, but you also get the aggression and determination to win rather than an exhibitiony type match.

People's Champion

Status

i watched his match vs. Jay Lethal from DBD 2019 last night. What a match!! Completely smoked all his matches that i have seen from him all year in singles. Jay lethal was also great in this match. watch this match ASAP.

This is also for all those people who say ROH arent using him well.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Relentless Admin

Status

Very good match, I usually don't like walk and talks and matches where their almost cutting promos during it, but I thought they blended their storyline brilliantly into the match and afterwards Gresham feels like he's elevated by this. When they had their great matches last year, it was a highlight of the year for ROH and the best world title matches in a while, but it didn't feel like they were getting behind Gresham, moreso just using him for a couple of months for a program and then Lethal would be on to the next program. This felt like the most significant match of Gresham's ROH career because he was the leading star of the angle and Lethal was the supporting actor and it's never felt that way before for Gresh.

He also looks like he's put on more muscle mass in recent months. Dude looks motivated atm.
    Last edited by Ed; 09-29-2019 at 07:42 PM.

WAKE UP

Status

Man, I thought that Lethal match was great. Definitely their best and I echo the comments about Gresham. He really feels like a guy coming into his own and entering that "must watch" territory. Will have to check out the match Ed posted in the media section to see how he does in a different environment but his PWG and ROH stuff has delivered.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    Will have to check out the match Ed posted in the media section to see how he does in a different environment but his PWG and ROH stuff has delivered.
    You'll like it less than the Lethal one I'm sure.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Do I need to see the other Gresham/Lethal matches to fully get into this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Marketh View Post
    Do I need to see the other Gresham/Lethal matches to fully get into this one?
    No. They were over a year ago now and a different storyline so they don't really build from those trio of matches to this. The video package beforehand is all you'll need to see.

People's Champion

Status

id say watch them anyway. they were awesome matches as well
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

People's Champion

Status

Watched Gresham vs Jay Briscoe. Awesome match. Gresham comes to the ring with an octopus mask. Its pretty awesome.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Relentless Admin

Status

Yeah I thought it was a pretty neat match.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Yeah I thought it was a pretty neat match.
    What did you think of his new "move" to help him win matches? I loved it and it makes sense for his heel octopus gimmick.

I'm super looking for ward to his feud with the Briscoes
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Relentless Admin

Status

From what I’ve read of the tour results, I’m in favour of it. Should lead to some really heated matches which might help him get to the next level.

WAKE UP

Status

what show is that from?

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by King Steventon View Post
    what show is that from?
    ROH: United London 2019

Watch that match....then watch Lethal vs Mark Briscoe
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!