Thread: WWF '96: A New Attitude

Curtain Jerker

Status

WWF '96: A New Attitude

WWF '96: A NEW ATTITUDE

Growing up I was always a huge fan of the WWF. I got into wrestling in 1998 and would watch Raw religiously – Nitro, not so much. I caught it every now and again but I never enjoyed it as much as I did Raw. It was also a lot less accessible here in the UK than Raw was, from what I can remember. In more recent years, especially with the advent of the Network, I decided to go back and re-watch both Raw and Nitro from the start of the Monday Night Wars. What I quickly realised is that, had I got into wrestling a couple years earlier, I almost certainly would have been a much bigger WCW fan than I was WWF. Watching both Raw and Nitro from the beginning, or more specifically when the NWO was introduced, it really is impossible to believe that the WWF waited until mid-1997 to change up their product. Whether it was Vince’s stubbornness, I don’t know, but Raw looked like it was still stuck in the 80’s when compared to what WCW was doing around that time. So, what I’m going to do with this project is I’m going to have the WWF switch things up so to speak a good half a year before they actually did. With Raw trailing behind Nitro for the ninth week in a row going into SummerSlam, and with WCW’s NWO angle absolutely on fire, Vince McMahon realised that he had to change how his product was presented. Times were changing; wholesome, family fun was all the rage in the 80’s – the 90’s, on the other hand, was a much more rebellious time. Vince was going to have to change the way his product looked, he was going to have to change the way his characters were portrayed, he was going to have to change the way everything was presented. He had to act now otherwise he risked falling even further behind than he already was; closing a 9 week gap would be a lot easier than closing a two-year one.

The changes won’t all happen at once. I like to keep some sort of semblance of realism with what I write so the changes will be drawn out over the first few months of this project, rather than all on the first show. The biggest change that will take part right from the get go, however, is that Raw will be moving to two hours immediately following SummerSlam to compete directly against Nitro. Can Vince acting earlier and changing his product sooner than he did prevent WCW’s eventual eighty-four week undefeated streak before it ever truly got started?

WWF ROSTER
    As of August 19, 1996

Ahmed Johnson
    Aldo Montoya
    Alex Porteau
    Barry Horowitz
    Barry Windham
    Bart Gunn
    Billy Gunn
    Bob Holly
    Bret Hart
    Brian Adams
    Brian Pillman
    Butch Miller
    Faarooq Asaad
    Fatu
    Freddie Joe Floyd
    Goldust
    Henry Godwinn
    Hunter Hearst Helmsley
    Jake Roberts
    Jared Grimm
    Jason Grimm
    Jerry Lawler
    Justin Bradshaw
    Leif Cassidy
    Luke Williams
    Mankind
    Marc Mero
    Mark Henry
    Marty Jannetty
    Mr. Bob Backlund
    Owen Hart
    Phineas Godwinn
    Salvatore Sincere
    Savio Vega
    Shawn Michaels
    Skip
    Steve Austin
    Sycho Sid
    T.L. Hopper
    The British Bulldog
    The Brooklyn Brawler
    The Goon
    The Undertaker
    Vader
    Who
    Yokozuna
    Zip

CHAMPIONS
    As of August 19, 1996

WWF WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT:
    Shawn Michaels
    WWF TAG TEAM: The Smoking Gunns
    WWF INTERCONTINENTAL: Vacant
    Last edited by Anaconda Vise; 04-09-2019 at 05:29 AM.

Backyarder

Status

Re: WWF '96: A New Attitude

Now this is a time period that is obviously so interesting can’t wait to see what you do. You have a reader in me

Curtain Jerker

Status

Raw Changes; ECW Talent Raid?
    Friday, August 16, 1996

With the recent announcement that the WWF’s flagship Raw program will be moving to two hours after SummerSlam to allow it to compete directly against Nitro’s two hours, rather than just one hour of Raw competing, information has continued to leak out from our insiders on the changes the WWF are looking to make going forward. With WCW’s New World Order angle proving to be a runaway success, leading to Nitro winning the weekly Monday night ratings war nine weeks in a row, the WWF brass realised that something had to be done urgently. The NWO storyline, the catalyst for WCW’s increasing success, only looks to be going from strength to strength whilst the WWF’s main arch heading forward almost seems to be non-existent. With Bret Hart’s future uncertain it looked as though the WWF were going to lead with a Shawn Michaels, Ahmed Johnson feud heading forward from SummerSlam; hardly the most inspiring of arch’s to lead with against WCW’s New World Order. Unfortunately for the WWF Ahmed Johnson was injured just prior to SummerSlam, with him now requiring time off for kidney surgery. Due to this the WWF are left without any solid plan going forward – not that they really had one anyway. Now, though, the company are said to be heading in a completely different direction.

According to our insiders Vince’s son Shane has been quite pivotal in the WWF’s forthcoming change of direction. Everybody realised that Raw needed to be moved to two-hours to compete with Nitro, of course, and with the USA Network’s blessing that will now be happening. What the twenty-six year old Shane has seemingly provided his father with is a more youthful perspective of what’s hot and what people want in the 90’s as opposed to the 80’s (an era Vince appears to be stuck in). Shane is said to be a huge fan of the Philadelphia based Extreme Championship Wrestling promotion, a product many believe to be setting the standard for what will become of mainstream professional wrestling in the 90’s. The 90’s has been defined by a very counterculture mentality; extreme sports and grunge music are all the rage. A more gritty presentation is something the company are hoping to replicate, albeit with the WWF’s notoriously high production values still present.

According to our men on the inside Vince has already identified two or three names from ECW he hopes of bringing over to the WWF; who those names are though, we’re not too sure of. Another source believes that Vince is looking to do to ECW what he done to other regional promotions in the mid-80’s during his initial national expansion; strip them dry of their top talent and leave them for dead. A conflicting report, however, believes Vince values ECW too much to just run them into the ground and believes they can be a more valuable asset to him by remaining around than if he were to run them out of business. A new main storyline arch has supposedly already been identified too - with the finer details still being fleshed out, the company are hopeful it will be able to give WCW and their NWO storyline a run for its money. Very exciting times to be a fan of professional wrestling, indeed.

Also, in a piece of news which could definitely lead credibility to the WWF supposedly wanting to move in a different direction going forward, company officials are said to have struck up a partnership with DGC Records, a subsidiary of Geffen Records, known for their distinctively alternative rock sound. With a variety of popular and lesser known bands under their umbrella, could we hear Shawn Michaels coming out soon to some Nirvana in the coming months? Or, perhaps Ahmed Johnson might become fond of a bit of White Zombie? Only time will tell what this deal could mean for the WWF going forward.

Curtain Jerker

Status

August 19, 1996 | Wheeling, West Virginia | Episode 173

A short video package plays before tonight’s show can get underway, highlighting the events of SummerSlam just 24-hours ago which saw Shawn Michaels successfully defending his WWF World Heavyweight Championship against Vader and Mankind taking down “The Deadman” in a Boiler Room Brawl. We fade into a brand new opening video package for Raw with a much grittier, unpolished look to it. To complete the new feel and look to Raw was the accompanying “Beautiful People” by Marilyn Manson from his upcoming studio album Antichrist Superstar – this was definitely Raw like we have never seen it before!

As we panned into the arena it seemed not everything had changed as the voice of Vince McMahon welcomed up to Monday Night Raw “in front of this CAPACITY CROWD here at the Wheeling Civic Center!” Vince McMahon and Mr. Perfect rundown tonight’s card which includes the huge return of Bret Hart who has made a decision regarding his future in the sport, the beginning of a tournament to crown a new WWF Intercontinental Champion after Ahmed Johnson was forced to vacate it prior to SummerSlam due to injury and Sycho Sid taking on Vader in a huge main event! And of course tonight marks the beginning of Raw’s switch to two hours, directly against WCW Monday Nitro!

THE THRILLSEEKERS versus THE NEW ROCKERS. In the first sign of things to come in this new era for the World Wrestling Federation, Chris Jericho and Lance Storm make their debut against the team of Leif Cassidy and Marty Jannetty. If Cassidy and Jannetty were the WWF’s attempt the cash in on the famous Rocker’s name and the popularity of the team from the 80’s, then they really didn’t need to do that any longer as the Thrillseekers embodied everything the Rockers did in the 80’s, but updated for the 90’s. As the Thrillseekers made their way down to the ring a little box in the corner promo gave us a little context on the two Canadian youngsters, primarily speaking about their strong friendship and how they’ve been inseparable since meeting at the dungeon. Graduates of the famous aforementioned Hart Family Dungeon, Jericho and Storm displayed some great speed and technical prowess throughout their debut match, matching the more experienced Cassidy and Jannetty at every turn. The match was pretty even until Storm and Jericho put Jannetty away with a german suplex/superkick combination to pick up the victory in their debut match.

After the Thrillseekers had left the ring following their match Cassidy and Jannetty remained in the ring. Jannetty was on his knees, annoyed at himself for conceding yet another loss in a WWF ring. Leif Cassidy came over to Jannetty to comfort him but his comfort quickly turned into rage as he almost popped Jannetty’s head clean off his shoulders with a superkick! A furious Leif Cassidy screeched out like a demon had possessed his soul before jumping on top of Jannetty and pummelling him over and over again with closed fists. “Look what you’ve done to me! LOOK WHAT YOU’VE DONE” a deranged sounding Cassidy could be heard screaming at Jannetty before delivering one final fist to his jaw and making his way up the entrance ramp. As he walked up the ramp Doc Hendrix approached him to try and get an explanation for what he had just done to his tag team partner.

“Why? WHY?! I’ve been carrying that loser around on my back for the past six months; my WWF careers started off as part of a god damn tribute act! Marty Jannetty is a no good, useless sack of crap and I’m ditching him just like Shawn Michaels did! I’m a main event player!”

Backstage Doc Hendrix is standing by with none other than the winner of the 1996 King of the Ring, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin. Doc wants to pick Austin’s brains a bit and get his feelings on his match next week in the Intercontinental Championship Tournament first round against Owen Hart. Austin begins by explaining that he knows that it’s not just going to be him against Owen Hart; his entourage will be in his corner as they always are. That doesn’t bother Austin though, he’ll take out all four of them if it comes to it.

“The fact that Owen Hart is the runt of the family litter don’t mean a damn thing to me. Owen Hart’s an overrated piece of Canadian trash; his daddy promoted a couple wrestling matches, kicked Owen out his basement and put some gym mats in there, called it a Dungeon, and it don’t mean a damn thing! Fact of the matter is when I step into the ring with Owen Hart, the British Bulldog, Vader, even that weasel faced jackass Jim Cornette, there’s only ever gonna’ be one outcome.”

Doc Hendrix tries to interject with another question, but Austin’s having none of it as he hasn’t quite finished the rant he was on.

“SHUT UP! Like I said, Owen’s the runt of the litter, he ain’t the brightest bulb in the pack, so “Stone Cold’s” gonna break it down for the stupid son of a bitch! I’m gonna’ explain to you what exactly “Austin 3:16” means; you can bring your little summer camp quartet, cause I’m gonna drag your ass from pillar to post, stomp those little beady eyes into the back of your head, shove your head up that fat ass of Vader’s until he talks like Davey Boy, shove that slammy of your’s up Cornette’s ass until he sings like the choir boy he looks like he just molested, hit you with a stunner, 1, 2, 3 – and that’s the bottom line!”

MANKIND versus SKIP. Somehow Mankind manages to find his way out to the ring tonight to compete against Skip just 24-hours removed from his violent boiler room brawl match against the Undertaker at SummerSlam. Well, I say somehow, but this is Mankind we’re talking about; he’s not your regular breed of psychopath. Vince McMahon and Mr. Perfect remind us on several occasions of how the Undertaker hasn’t been seen since his loss at SummerSlam and speculate over just where he could be. Mankind, as would be expected, dominated his contest against Skip and put him away fairly quickly with the mandible claw. After the match Zip jumped into the ring to try and have a go of his own at Mankind but would meet the same fate as his tag team partner; two fingers right to the back of his throat. As Mankind was busy laying a beating on the Bodydonnas, Kama “The Supreme Fighting Machine”, a man who hadn’t been seen since the Royal Rumble earlier in the year, made his way out to the ring. This wasn’t the same Kama we had all grown familiar with, however; gone were the gold chains and wrestling singlet and it’s place was a beanie hat with the words “The Soultaker” written on it, a pair of shades and a biker jacket. Kama rolled into the ring and immediately began pummelling away at Mankind with some seriously vicious looking lefts and rights. After delivering a massive powerbomb to Mankind, almost sending him through the ring, he got up in the face of Mankind – who was laughing manically to himself in pain – before proclaiming that “you’ve awoken the army of darkness; your soul is ours for the taking. He’s coming for you!”

As we come back from a commercial break we see Goldust standing in front of a gold curtain with Marlena besides him, buffing on her huge cigar. She blows the smoke into Goldust’s face who inhales it before Marlena whispers “action” and walks out of focus of the camera. Goldust is here to address his forthcoming Intercontinental Championship Tournament first round match against Jake Roberts next week, in a way only Goldust can.

“Fight and you may die, run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade all the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... our freedom!” – Braveheart, 1995. How admissible, Jake, that you may look back at your life and wish you had put up more of a fight; your fight came too late. Who is your biggest enemy, “Snake”? Is it the vice which has ruled your life and taken you from Hollywood blockbuster to struggling B-Movie? Oh, all that you may have been. Run Jake, run and you may live to tell the tale of the name, the name that you will never forgot, the name that will take you DEEP, so deep, to the depths of your own despair. Tell my tale, Jake, speak my name so that you never forget it - *deep inhaling breathe* GOLDUST…

FAAROOQ ASAAD w/SUNNY versus T.L. HOPPER. Since making his WWF debut last month Faarooq has left a path of destruction in his wake. Ahmed Johnson is without question one of the toughest men to ever step foot in a WWF ring and Faarooq, with a few blows to his side, ruptured his kidney and forced him to undergo surgery to fix the damage. Sunny made her intentions clear in the build-up to SummerSlam – she want’s every single title in the WWF! With her clients the Smoking Gunns already in possession of the WWF Tag Team titles, she looks on course to achieve that with the dominant Faarooq vying for the WWF World Heavyweight title. In a box in the corner promo as Faarooq made his way down to the ring he made his intentions clear; he want’s Shawn Michaels world title. Sunny points out that Ahmed Johnson had won the right to challenge Michaels for the title after SummerSlam and seeing as Faarooq was the man to absolutely dominate him and leave him on the sidelines, he should be the man to face Michaels in his place. Needless to say Faarooq absolutely dominated poor T.L. Hopper, beating the plumber senseless before putting him away emphatically with his finishing move, the name of which perfectly summed up his performance here tonight; the Dominator! “What a manoeuvre!” Yes Vince, what a manoeuvre indeed.

We cut backstage again to Doc Hendrix who is this time standing by with Camp Cornette. Doc wants to get their thoughts on a few things, those being Bret Hart’s return later on tonight and Owen’s match with Steve Austin next week in the Intercontinental Championship tournament. Jim Cornette gets on the stick to vent his anger at how Shawn Michaels weaselled his way to a victory against Vader last night at SummerSlam and talks about how after his win over Savio Vega last night, Owen shouldn’t even have to compete in a title tournament; he should get a bye straight through to the finals! Owen Hart had a few choice words of his own he wanted to share, immediately shooting down the threat of Steve Austin.

“AUSTIN! You stand back there and run your mouth about my family, and I’m not talking about the Hart’s. You realise that what’s standing in front of you; “The King of Hart’s”, “The British Bulldog” and “The Mastadon” – we’re wrestling royalty! Austin, you don’t stand a chance! And as for my so called brother Bret Hart, he should have stayed retired! He hasn’t even decided whether he’s staying or retiring, and I’m already hearing calls for a WWF title match – it makes me SICK! Camp Cornette isn’t about to stand back and watch; that world title belongs to Vadar! Bret, you better watch your back…”

WWF INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT FIRST ROUND MATCH | SAVIO VEGA versus FATU. Fatu makes his return to the WWF tonight after an extended hiatus from the company, not having been seen since around April. Fatu's sporting a completely different look this time around; gone is the multi-coloured jacket of "Make a Difference" Fatu and in it’s place is a bandana and biker jacket; to complete the new ensemble he has a chain draped over his shoulders, too. Quite interestingly Fatu's new image almost mirrored that of Kamas from earlier on in the night. As the bout began Savio Vega managed to get in a decent amount of offence, almost as though Fatu had really let the ring rust build up whilst sitting around for the past four months. It wasn’t quite so, however, as Fatu would soon come out of his corner, mounting an offence of his own against Vega. Fatu quickly took control of the match, cutting Vega’s brief offence to an abrupt end. Fatu delivered a chest crushing Banzai Drop to Vega and, just as he looked like he was ready to make the cover, something snapped. Fatu began stomping viciously on the head of Vega before climbing the corner and dropping another devastating Banzai Drop on him. Fatu corned Vega and continued stomping away at his head with absolutely no regard for his opponents health. The attack became too vicious for the referee to tolerate and despite his repeated attempts to get Fatu to stop he didn’t, forcing the referee to call for the disqualification. Fatu eventually stopped his attack before getting into Vega’s face and shouting at him. “You’re weak! You’re not ready! He’s coming back, boy, you better get ready for him!”

The crowd explode out of their seats as the most famous guitar rift in the whole of professional wrestling screeches around the arena – it’s Bret Hart! “The Hitman” swaggers out to the stage in a Calgary Hitmen leather jacket with his own “The Hitman” t-shirt underneath it with blue jeans, being seen for the first time since after WrestleMania XII when he declared he had fell out of love with professional wrestling. As he got into the ring Vince McMahon re-introduced us to “The Hitmen” before talking about how Bret had taken the past few months off since WrestleMania XII to contemplate whether he would re-sign with the WWF or go somewhere else as he had “multiple offers on the table”. First, though, before he could get to that, Vince wanted to know whether Bret had rediscovered his love for the sport.

“What you’ve got to remember, Vince, is that I grew up in this business. From the day I was born professional wrestling was all I knew. As far back as I can remember I was wrestling downstairs in the dungeon of my father’s home back in Calgary. When I wasn’t at home training in the dungeon I was at school training in amateur wrestling. It’s been a long, hard fought road for me getting to where I am today. Every single hour of my week was put into becoming the best that I could, and even when I thought I had reached my peak, I could always be better. Long hours on the road away from my family; this industry has consumed my life. Since coming to the World Wrestling Federation, over the course of my twelve years here I’ve won everything there is to win; the WWF World Heavyweight title, Intercontinental title, Tag titles, King of the Ring, Royal Rumble, you name it. I’ve always strove to be the best; if you’re not the best, then there’s no point doing it. When Shawn beat me in that Iron Man match at WrestleMania it proved to me that I was no longer the best. Shawn beat me across 60-minutes; it seemed like this was the match my whole career had been leading to, and I failed. It hit me hard – I just didn’t want to wrestle anymore if I couldn’t be the very best at what I do.”

Vince McMahon interjects with the question we all wanted to know; was he here tonight to announce his retirement from the WWF or would we get to see “The Hitman” in the ring once again in the near future.

“You know, I really needed this time away. It helped put a lot of things into perspective for myself. I could finally be there for my wife and four kids; I’d spent so much time away from them on the road I felt like I barely knew them anymore. As much as I needed that time with my family, what I came to realise even more is that they need me in the WWF. When I saw the “Hitman” posters in my son Blade’s room slowly be replaced by “HBK” ones, it ate at me more than anything in my life. I was my sons idol and I wasn’t anymore; my wife had the fort covered at home, my children needed me leading the way for them as the WWF Champion here in the World Wrestling Federation more than anything! So, Vince, “The Best There Is, The Best There Was and The Best There Ever Will Be” will not be retiring! This sport is my life and, as of this moment, I’m setting out a challenge to Shawn Michaels for his WWF Championship!”

The crowd explodes as Vince McMahon screams at the top of his lungs “you heard it here, Bret Hart will NOT be retiring! Will Shawn Michaels accept his chall…” before Vince could finish his sentence however, Shawn Michaels theme music hit the arena and “The Heartbreak Kid” swaggered out to the ring, WWF Championship in tow. As Michaels got into the ring he spoke about how, despite the fact him and Bret may not have always seen eye to eye in the past, he was glad Bret was staying in the WWF as he’s never had a better match in the ring than with “The Hitman”. HBK talks about their WrestleMania XII classic and says he can’t wait to do it all over again – “Hitman, you want a WWF World title match? You’re on!”. Bret and Michaels shake hands and it seems the WrestleMania rematch is set! Camp Cornette had other plans, however, as Vadar, Owen Hart, and the British Bulldog all stormed the ring to lay a beating on Bret and Shawn. Although the tandem attempted to put up as good a fight as they could the numbers would ultimately prove to be too much for them. Camp Cornette continued to lay a beating on Bret and Shawn until one man came to their rescue – “IT’S SYCHO SID!”. Sycho Sid, who had recently formed somewhat of a friendship with Shawn Michaels, hit the ring to defend Bret and Shawn. With the numbers now level Bret, Shawn and Sid managed to get the better of Camp Cornette, clearing them out of the ring.

WWF INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT FIRST ROUND MATCH | JUSTIN BRADSHAW w/ZEBEKIAH versus HUNTER HEARST HELMSLEY. Triple H hadn’t had the best of times in recent months, losing the majority of his television matches and fading off into the background when he was once considered by many to be the WWF’s next big breakout star. Unfortunately for him tonight, his challenge wouldn’t be any easier as he faced off against the vicious Texan Justin Bradshaw, always looking for his next victim to brand with his branding iron. Bradshaw got a lot of heavy hitting, stiff looking offence in on Hunter in the early goings of the match and, despite attempted comebacks from Hunter, Bradshaw would always regain control. Mr. Perfect took particular umbrage to Hunter’s lack of offence on commentary, bringing up how at one point he saw a lot of a younger version of himself in Hunter but how he got too caught up in the hype and the attention from the women with the constant rotation of valet’s he would bring with himself to ringside. Triple H would, however, manage to pick up the shock victory over Bradshaw when he rolled him up with a small package for the victory! After the match, a furious Bradshaw continued to beatdown on Hunter and drew for the branding iron, ready to claim his next victim. That was until Mr. Perfect jumped up from the announce table and rolled into the ring, causing Bradshaw to back off as he stood in between the big Texan and his fallen opponent. Why exactly Mr. Perfect had jumped to Hunter’s rescue, however, was unclear.

CAMP CORNETTE w/JIM CORNETTE versus SHAWN MICHAELS, BRET HART AND SYCHO SID. Due to their confrontation earlier on in the night tonight’s advertised main event of Sycho Sid taking on Vader was changed by WWF President Gorilla Monsoon into a six-man tag team match. The bout started off pretty equal between Shawn Michaels and Owen Hart but the tide would soon turn in the favour of Owen thanks to outside distraction from Jim Cornette, allowing Vadar and the British Bulldog to jump in the ring and lay a beating on “HBK”. From that point onwards Camp Cornette controlled the match, constantly tagging in and out to eachother to ensure they all stayed as fresh as possible. A devastating powerbomb almost put Michaels away for good but Bret Hart made the save for his one-time enemy. Although he managed to make the save for “HBK” on that occasion, when Vadar had a bearhug synched in tight he was helpless to interfere as Michaels was in no man’s land on the opposition’s side of the ring. With the referee distracted by Cornette and Michaels locked in the bearhug, Owen and the British Bulldog began laying into his skull with several lefts and rights. Sycho Sid had seen enough and snapped, running around the ring and pulling Owen and the Bulldog off the ring apron to lay a beating of his own into them. Vadar, distracted by the commotion outside the ring, broke the bearhug. With Vadar distracted long enough Michaels managed to regain a last gasp of energy, enough to allow him to leap across the ring and make the tag to Bret Hart! With the now fresh Bret Hart in the ring the contest was a lot more even, with Hart initially getting the better of Vadar until he tagged out to Owen and the two brothers collided. Cornette attempted to interfere yet again but Sycho Sid wasn’t having any of it; Sid climbed into the ring and sent Cornette flying off the ring apron with a huge big boot. Vadar and the British Bulldog jumped into the ring as did Shawn Michaels, sparking a huge melee. Bret, Sid and Shawn managed to get the better of their opponents, sending Vadar and the Bulldog flying out of the ring. With Owen Hart isolated from his Camp Cornette partners Bret locked the Sharpshooter in as Shawn and Sid watched on, just moments away from a big victory over Cornette’s trio.

Just as it looked as though Owen was about to submit, Sid sent his own partner, Bret, crashing to the mat with a big boot out of nowhere! Shawn, shocked at what he had just seen, got right up into Sid’s face, asking him why the hell he just attacked his own partner. Shawn looked enraged, almost as though he was ready to take Sid out himself. SWEET CHIN MUSIC! Shawn just couldn’t help himself, he had snapped – and knocked Bret’s head right off of his shoulders as he got back to his feet! Shawn Michaels had just knocked Bret Hart out cold with some sweet chin music, and Sid loved it. Michaels turned around to face Sid again, this time with a huge smirk on his face, as he made the “wolf pack” hand gesture; a gesture which Sid mirrored. Owen Hart took the opportunity to slide on top of his brothers fallen body, still watching Sid and Shawn in caution as he made the cover, for the three count and to pick up the victory for his team.

“What the hell am I watching Mr. Perfect?! Why would Shawn and Sid do that to their own partner! What’s wrong with you, Shawn?!” Vince McMahon screeched from the announce desk as Owen Hart slid out the ring as quickly as he could, whilst Shawn Michaels and Sycho Sid stood dominant over the broken body of “The Hitman”, bringing the first ever two-hour edition of WWF Raw to a shocking close.

September 22, 1996 | CoreStates Center in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    Last edited by Anaconda Vise; 04-09-2019 at 06:30 AM.

I’m Not Booked!

Status

Okay, I'm very much on board for a BTB in this era, and excited to see what you do with it. You suggesting that you would enter the attitude era slowly was music to my ears, and the biggest encouragement I'll give you coming in... don't rush it. As a reader I want to see a few small signs now without getting carried away. WWF needed a shake up around this era, but if we end up in full on 98/99 madness before 1997 it'll feel hella weird.

First off, formatting is very nice, but I could use a clearer delineation of when matches end, how the end, how long the matches are, etc. But the match write ups, promos and the little symbols and everything give this a unique look. I like.

Okay, you know what I was saying earlier about not rushing things? There's no way Lance Storm should be winning matches in the WWF in 1996 for my money. Even Jericho was pretty green when he joined WCW. If you want to use them as enhancement guys on your B-Show then fair enough, but don't rush these things. Neither guy is going to have a huge amount to bring to the WWF for at least another year. That said, love Al Snow turning on Marty, and excited to see what you do with him. Al's a guy who absolutely could have been a bigger deal had they used him better when he could still really "go".

Good Austin promo to follow up a good Snow promo, I get the sense these will be a real strength for you. That said, again, don't rush things. This is the first show of the new era and you have "god damn" "crap", "jackass", "son of a bitch", three "asses" and talk of choir boys getting molested... in the first two segments. Gradually start to filter more of this stuff in bit by bit, but don't overdo it.

Kama beating up Mankind and saying “you’ve awoken the army of darkness; your soul is ours for the taking. He’s coming for you!” absolutely has my interest. Generally when I'm reading someone's first show I'm looking for one thing that makes me think "okay, there's obvious potential here, I'll keep reading", and that little segment was just that. Great stuff.

Very good Goldust promo as well. Loved the movie references with Jake going from blockbuster to b-movie and whatnot. That's two great segments back to back.

Good Faarooq squash.

Hmm... Fatu is being linked up with Kama's little crew, huh? Very interesting. I love the direction we seem to be going in, but I hope you don't rush it. One segment of this would have been enough. Don't oversaturate the really great stuff you clearly have ready to go, bud.

In terms of content, I really enjoyed Bret coming back and his promo. I think you did a fantastic job there. I also liked the Michaels stuff, followed by the beatdown, and Sid making the save. All very good. Two minor bits of advice though - firstly, I'd have loved to actually see the Michaels promo first hand rather than the recap, given you did the full written out promo for Bret. And secondly, I think this segment could have landed a bit better had it been laid out stronger. Take a look at Wolf Beast's "Being The Booker" and see what I mean. Things are really spaced out, stuff is in bold, different colours, in caps. Camp Cornette coming out mid-paragraph and Sid coming out a bit later on didn't quite have the excitement it could have had if the layout of it had been stronger.

Cool to see HHH win, and Perfect come to his aid. Should make for an interesting new direction.

I'm sorry to be a little repetitive, but I feel like you've rushed this 6 man. You could have had it main event a PPV! Or at least do it a week later and build up to it. Bret only returned today, you don't need the return segment, and the beatdown, and the match, AND Michaels turning on him and joining with Sid all in one show. The earlier segment would have been plenty. "The return of Bret Hart" is enough for one episode of Raw. Then you have the match built up for a few weeks. Then have the heel turn after the tension has built. This all felt very rushed, which is a real shame because the idea behind it is AWESOME.

Overall, this is a really, really promising start. You've got some GREAT ideas that have me genuinely excited to come back and read again. But I'd definitely encourage you to think about slowing things down. Not every segment needs to have "something happen". If you tell step one of a story one week, don't tell step two (and three and four) that same night. Let it breathe. You did such fantastic work with Kama and Bret's return, that alone would have been more than enough for one show in terms of "moments" to keep me going for next week. Have faith that your ideas and writing is good enough that you don't need seven shocking things to happen each show. I'll definitely be reading, and I wish you luck. This BTB has a HUGE amount of potential!

Curtain Jerker

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    Okay, I'm very much on board for a BTB in this era, and excited to see what you do with it. You suggesting that you would enter the attitude era slowly was music to my ears, and the biggest encouragement I'll give you coming in... don't rush it. As a reader I want to see a few small signs now without getting carried away. WWF needed a shake up around this era, but if we end up in full on 98/99 madness before 1997 it'll feel hella weird.

First off, formatting is very nice, but I could use a clearer delineation of when matches end, how the end, how long the matches are, etc. But the match write ups, promos and the little symbols and everything give this a unique look. I like.

Okay, you know what I was saying earlier about not rushing things? There's no way Lance Storm should be winning matches in the WWF in 1996 for my money. Even Jericho was pretty green when he joined WCW. If you want to use them as enhancement guys on your B-Show then fair enough, but don't rush these things. Neither guy is going to have a huge amount to bring to the WWF for at least another year. That said, love Al Snow turning on Marty, and excited to see what you do with him. Al's a guy who absolutely could have been a bigger deal had they used him better when he could still really "go".

Good Austin promo to follow up a good Snow promo, I get the sense these will be a real strength for you. That said, again, don't rush things. This is the first show of the new era and you have "god damn" "crap", "jackass", "son of a bitch", three "asses" and talk of choir boys getting molested... in the first two segments. Gradually start to filter more of this stuff in bit by bit, but don't overdo it.

Kama beating up Mankind and saying “you’ve awoken the army of darkness; your soul is ours for the taking. He’s coming for you!” absolutely has my interest. Generally when I'm reading someone's first show I'm looking for one thing that makes me think "okay, there's obvious potential here, I'll keep reading", and that little segment was just that. Great stuff.

Very good Goldust promo as well. Loved the movie references with Jake going from blockbuster to b-movie and whatnot. That's two great segments back to back.

Good Faarooq squash.

Hmm... Fatu is being linked up with Kama's little crew, huh? Very interesting. I love the direction we seem to be going in, but I hope you don't rush it. One segment of this would have been enough. Don't oversaturate the really great stuff you clearly have ready to go, bud.

In terms of content, I really enjoyed Bret coming back and his promo. I think you did a fantastic job there. I also liked the Michaels stuff, followed by the beatdown, and Sid making the save. All very good. Two minor bits of advice though - firstly, I'd have loved to actually see the Michaels promo first hand rather than the recap, given you did the full written out promo for Bret. And secondly, I think this segment could have landed a bit better had it been laid out stronger. Take a look at Wolf Beast's "Being The Booker" and see what I mean. Things are really spaced out, stuff is in bold, different colours, in caps. Camp Cornette coming out mid-paragraph and Sid coming out a bit later on didn't quite have the excitement it could have had if the layout of it had been stronger.

Cool to see HHH win, and Perfect come to his aid. Should make for an interesting new direction.

I'm sorry to be a little repetitive, but I feel like you've rushed this 6 man. You could have had it main event a PPV! Or at least do it a week later and build up to it. Bret only returned today, you don't need the return segment, and the beatdown, and the match, AND Michaels turning on him and joining with Sid all in one show. The earlier segment would have been plenty. "The return of Bret Hart" is enough for one episode of Raw. Then you have the match built up for a few weeks. Then have the heel turn after the tension has built. This all felt very rushed, which is a real shame because the idea behind it is AWESOME.

Overall, this is a really, really promising start. You've got some GREAT ideas that have me genuinely excited to come back and read again. But I'd definitely encourage you to think about slowing things down. Not every segment needs to have "something happen". If you tell step one of a story one week, don't tell step two (and three and four) that same night. Let it breathe. You did such fantastic work with Kama and Bret's return, that alone would have been more than enough for one show in terms of "moments" to keep me going for next week. Have faith that your ideas and writing is good enough that you don't need seven shocking things to happen each show. I'll definitely be reading, and I wish you luck. This BTB has a HUGE amount of potential!
    Thanks for the feedback Keefmoon. So my intention with the opening tag match was more to have Cassidy and Jannetty split, with Cassidys boiling point being losing to complete newcomers (which will become clear in my next show). From here on out Jericho and Storm are just going to sort of slot into the tag team division, not involved in angles or anything. Very helpful feedback though, definitely going to try and work on not having so much happening in future shows, I feel like I may have just got carried away with wanting to establish my own storylines with the first show, I'll try to pace things better from here on. Your feedback alones already made me make a major change to my next show.

Red n White Army!

Status
      Country                    England

Great first show, man, I'm stoked for the idea of a 1996 BTB. I would echo two of the things KeefMoon wrote as the two biggest things - the layout (particularly the spacing/breaking up of promos and end of match signals) and the sheer amount of stuff that happened on the show. I recognise the "first show, got to get everything going and stamp your mark on it" thing that you've got going on so I'll forgive it for this show but you do need to give it chance to breathe moving forwards; the danger is that the reader forgets stuff that's happened when loads is happening.

However, having said that, love the Kama/Fatu references (Undertaker, I assume) and the Bret/Shawn/Sid stuff is intriguing and different. Also enjoyed Al Snow turning on Marty Janetty, never a fan of that guy so glad that Al put him right in his place.

Not a big feedback giver (not usually got time!) but I am definitely reading this. Keep up the good work, fella.

WE ARE PREMIER LEAGUE! #SUFC

Thread Information