Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: WC's Fave Five Albums - 1991

Indy Talent

Status
      Country                    United States

Re: WC's Fave Five Albums - 1991

Quote Originally Posted by JakeYourBooty View Post
    Never liked REM and Under the Bridge being shoved into my ears 24/7 really ruined BSSM for me. Ribbed is great but their next two albums are probably better. I’m a massive NOFX mark though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I couldn't agree with you more about just about all of this. I love REM up through the Green album, but then with the massive record contract (they signed the biggest record contract in music history at the time, 80 million buck over 5 albums, starting with Green) they changed, because now there's outside pressure to not just record great albums, but albums that will sell...a lot. I generally despise those albums in a whole...there are certain songs on those albums, I love, but they're few and far between.

With RHCP, I love Mother's Milk and then bits and pieces later on. I find them to be extremely what's the word, because pretentious isn't it...weird...just because...super talented band, no challenge there, but this album in general is "let's write the album that'll appeal to the LCD" or so it seems to me at least, maybe it's just become that over time?

I think Ribbed is NOFX's last album of their original idea of what the band was. The next two and my favorite of theirs, they tweak their sound just enough to appeal to a more broader fan base. The "Maybe we can have it all" mindset. Write songs we love, but maybe also sell records and sellout shows.

I think Pearl Jam's debut was way better than anyone, them or their fans expected, because they became a thing for a little while. This is when Vedder was more a character than what he'd later become. He was the spokesman for all the political, defiant against all the "uncool" Ticketmasters, we don't need MTV videos, live your life as you want to...etc..etc...blah...blah. They were so deep under the microscope being the "anti-Nirvana" if that makes sense to anyone, but me? That album is not as important compared to the other ones it's often compared to...one that's about to appear in the last batch.

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by JakeYourBooty View Post
    White Trash will always be my favorite NOFX album simply because it’s the album that made me fall in love with them. Also their book makes the Dirt seem like mother goose.

White trash is really awesome as well. Tons of classics on it. What i really love about Nofx is that when i was down and out, Nofx lyrics always put a smile on my face. The cleverness in their lyrics and their wide range of songs is awesome. Their albums are different from each other but its still Nofx and you can always tell that when you pop in a new album by them.

And i have to pass around reputation before i can rep you again for your last sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Miracle View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more about just about all of this. I love REM up through the Green album, but then with the massive record contract (they signed the biggest record contract in music history at the time, 80 million buck over 5 albums, starting with Green) they changed, because now there's outside pressure to not just record great albums, but albums that will sell...a lot. I generally despise those albums in a whole...there are certain songs on those albums, I love, but they're few and far between.

With RHCP, I love Mother's Milk and then bits and pieces later on. I find them to be extremely what's the word, because pretentious isn't it...weird...just because...super talented band, no challenge there, but this album in general is "let's write the album that'll appeal to the LCD" or so it seems to me at least, maybe it's just become that over time?

I think Ribbed is NOFX's last album of their original idea of what the band was. The next two and my favorite of theirs, they tweak their sound just enough to appeal to a more broader fan base. The "Maybe we can have it all" mindset. Write songs we love, but maybe also sell records and sellout shows.

I think Pearl Jam's debut was way better than anyone, them or their fans expected, because they became a thing for a little while. This is when Vedder was more a character than what he'd later become. He was the spokesman for all the political, defiant against all the "uncool" Ticketmasters, we don't need MTV videos, live your life as you want to...etc..etc...blah...blah. They were so deep under the microscope being the "anti-Nirvana" if that makes sense to anyone, but me? That album is not as important compared to the other ones it's often compared to...one that's about to appear in the last batch.
    I do kind of agree with you on NOFX changing their sound a bit. But id say Ribbed started that. Bad Religion - Suffer started the whole melodic punk style that most of those bands emulated. Like their sound on Heavy Petting Zoo is completely different than Punk in Drublic. But its still in that vein. Theres no denying that Punk in Drublic and Also So Long and Thanks for all the Shoes are what catapulted them into having the fanbase they have today

I also totally agree with you on Pearl Jam. They got lumped in with Nirvana when they way way better song writers.
    Last edited by indyfan; 04-13-2019 at 11:07 AM.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

For me anyways, Blood Sugar gets on the list solely for songs like Funky Monks, Sir Psycho Sexy and Apache Rose Peacock. I’ve never really cared for Under the Bridge but that wasn’t enough to stop me from voting for the album.

Not surprised with what’s left to come considering I’ve voted for both.

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars of 2019~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

The RHCP album was actually my number 5, not sure if it’ll make a difference or not in its placing on this countdown though.

I really do enjoy that album, not just for Suck My Kiss and Under The Bridge, but for the songs that Fuji listed. I’ve always been a big fan of RHCP in general tbh.

Rest in power, Flock U

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

Indy Talent

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy King View Post
    The RHCP album was actually my number 5, not sure if it’ll make a difference or not in its placing on this countdown though.

I really do enjoy that album, not just for Suck My Kiss and Under The Bridge, but for the songs that Fuji listed. I’ve always been a big fan of RHCP in general tbh.
    The overall point total for it is correct, I just made the mistake of putting #1 over #5.

Indy Talent

Status

Since it's all over but the crying, why not finish it off.

2nd Place with 210 Points: Metallica - Metallica (Creeping Death #1, Jimmy King #1, Fuji Vice #1, The EC #2, Shock #4)

Spoiler:

1st Place with 240 Points: Nirvana - Nevermind (The EC #1, Jimmy King #2, Fuji Vice #2, Wolf Beast #2, Shock #2, indyfan #4, Silk #5)

Spoiler:

Well, two albums released about a month and half apart from one another. Metallica changed everything for themselves with the release of their self-titled album. They went from being a pretty big metal band to the band that your Grandmother had heard of. Nirvana with the release of the their second album, put a stake in the ground for all the angst ridden teenagers of the world. Becoming so big, so fast, it would take it's toll on them.

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

Both albums are great and I enjoyed them at the time more than I do now but I knew they’d get plenty of love. No issues with those two winning

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

While I slightly prefer Ten, there's no doubt Nevermind is one of the best albums ever. I love just about every song on it.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Ambidextrous Birdcatcher

Status

Love Nevermind but I knew it would smoke almost everything so I left it off.

Doing this list made me realize that somehow I've never listened to a single Pearl Jam song. Like I saw Eddie Vedder's cameos in Singles and Walk Hard and that one episode of Twin Peaks he's in. That's the closest I've come to anything Pearl Jam.
    Last edited by Creeping Death; 04-13-2019 at 07:13 PM.

Spoiler:

I LOOOOOOOVE YOU

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post
    Love Nevermind but I knew it would smoke almost everything so I left it off.

Doing this list made me realize that somehow I've never listened to a single Pearl Jam song. Like I saw Eddie Vedder's cameos in Singles and Walk Hard and that one episode of Twin Peaks he's in. That's the closest I've come to anything Pearl Jam.
    https://open.spotify.com/user/122979...SAiIIHgP3MjoAw

There’s a playlist of my favorites

People's Champion

Status

Nirvana is a punk band. Good album but Bleach and Incesticide kill it
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Huge Metallica fan, favourite ever band but I'd have to go with Nevermind > Black Album, not sure it would even make my top 3 Metallica albums because I prefer them at different points in their career (still think it's terrific though and has my favourite ever song on it). I remember my mate at school lending me Nevermind a couple years after I started learning drums and it just became an album I would play along to all the time, trying to nail the Breed intro so I could use it in an assessment for music class at school.

TEN and Gish would of made my list too.

Jobber

Status

Never really liked Nirvana or Grunge in General. Definately more of a Metallica fan but The Black Album for me is one of my least favorite albums of theirs.

Thread Information