Thread: NJPW & ROH G1 SuperCard at Madison Square Garden - 06/04/2019

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

NJPW NJPW & ROH G1 SuperCard at Madison Square Garden - 06/04/2019

58064-1531465609-800.jpg

Match Card

Honor Rumble:

Ring Of Honor TV & NEVER Openweight Title Match: Jeff Cobb (c) vs Will Ospreay (c)

Rush vs Dalton Castle

WOH World Title Match: Mayu Iwatani (c) vs Kelly Klein

NYC Street Fight: Bully Ray vs Juice Robinson

IWGP & ROH Tag Team Title Match: The Guerrillas Of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tonga Loa) (c) vs Villan Enterprises (Brody King & PCO) (c) vs Los Ingobernables de Japon (SANADA & EVIL) vs The Briscoes (Jay & Mark)

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Title Match: Taiji Ishimori (c) vs Dragon Lee vs Bandido

Rev Pro British Heavyweight Title Match: Zack Sabre Jr. (c) vs Hiroshi Tanahashi

IWGP Intercontinental Title Match: Tetsuya Naito (c) vs Kota Ibushi

ROH Title/Ladder Match: Jay Lethal (c) vs Matt Taven vs Marty Scurll

IWGP Heavyweight Title Match: Jay White (c) vs Kazuchika Okada

---

Updated Card
    Last edited by MC 16; 04-03-2019 at 02:20 PM.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Re: NJPW & ROH G1 SuperCard at Madison Square Garden - 06/04/2019

If Tanahashi wins the Cup, then this show is an insta-skip for me because he never has a good match with Switchblade and the rest of the card isn't appealing. The 3 way for the Jr title will probably be good but it's less interesting than just running Ishimori Vs Dragon Lee as set up a few weeks ago after the Liger match.

You have all the guys on both rosters to pick from, and Rush is given one legged Dalton Castle.

I'm hoping for ZSJ/Gresham again, but there's every chance this show is just gonna be filled up with tag matches now.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I think Mayu Iwatani and other Joshi may be on the show. Theyve been hinting. Will be interesting to see the reaction to that.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Mayu Iwatani has practically been confirmed for the show. It's been a given for a long time now. But with Stardom doing their own show in New York, it's likely that others will be there too.

Wonder where Tanahashi and Naito are going to fit in as well as Jay Lethal (he has a match set up in the upcoming roh tapings iirc).

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Zack Sabre Jr is defending the Rev Pro title against Hiroshi Tanahashi at MSG~~~~

Funny that Rev Pro have their own show mania weekend but it’s the new japan show that gets the title match.
    Last edited by Ed; 03-25-2019 at 03:34 AM.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Ha my joke about Tanahashi now challenging ZSJ for the Rev Pro title because he pinned him came true! Ain't I great

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Cobb has really brought his A-Game to ROH lately, I wouldn't be surprised if that's a sleeper MOTN candidate vs. Ospreay.

Rush vs...Castle!? What the fuck?

Mayu vs. Klein nearly as bad. Klein totally sucks & it's a huge waste of Mayu.

Bully Ray zzzzz

Why are The Briscoes & LIJ in the tag titles match again? And I'm guessing both sets of titles not on the line. Could be good.

The triple threat should be great & a strong MOTN contender. I wish it was a straight up match as well but hey.

ZSJ vs. Tana could be good but which Zack will we get? I doubt Tana's bringing his best for the Rev Pro title, but MSG could see big match Tana.

Naito & Ibushi is a match that should be good but I kind of have had my fill of for awhile.

The ladder match looks like a pathetic attempt at a main event & an example of why ROH is irrelevant compared to NJPW.

Okada/White's a big question mark in-ring, but an IWGP title change in the US will be a big moment at least.

Status

Card is stacked with some potentially great stuff. Knew Ibushi vs Naito would happen but didn't think it'd happen here... but damn, that's a big match. Ibushi should take the belt tbh and free Naito up for the G1 win/IWGP HebbiQ down the line.

No interest in Rush/Castle or Bully Ray.

Am guessing LIJ are in the tag match since they're the former champs and were probably next in line for GoD in a rematch. I think both sets of belts are on the line? Idk. Can see the Briscoes or GoD winning.

Not that arsed about Tanahashi vs ZSJ.

Looking forward to Okada/White. I really don't think White should lose here but I don't think it harms him too much since he's got wins over Okada, Tanahashi and the like. I can see there being some shenanigans going down but not sure if they'd do that to close out the main event.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Admin in Lockdown

Status

didn’t Mayu Vs Klein just happen at ROH’s anniversary show? Seems rather in keeping with the thoughtless booking of that title to just run it again.

Status

It's actually the third time in the space of 2 months that the match is happening Guessing third time lucky for Kelly. People going to be v upset if Mayu loses.

Also regarding Rev Pro, I understand it'd be better to have their title on their own show but this is a higher profile show in general so that might be why they wanted it on this card. Even if it doesn't need it. Way more people are going to watch this show and the title match than those who are gonna watch Rev Pro's show or check out Tana vs ZSJ if it was on that show.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Admin in Lockdown

Status

I understand that shake but that’s the double edge sword of Rev Pro being so heavily reliant on New Japan to be interesting/draw. They get exposure but where is it benefiting them when their shows look so weak without NJPW talent. Their own mania show has zero buzz about it.

How many people watching the MSG show are going to buy VOD subscriptions for live at the cockpit when it’s just Brits wrestling Brits? Because the Title matches in Japan haven’t led to much of an improvement in their popularity.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Quote Originally Posted by RainShaker View Post
    It's actually the third time in the space of 2 months that the match is happening Guessing third time lucky for Kelly. People going to be v upset if Mayu loses.

Also regarding Rev Pro, I understand it'd be better to have their title on their own show but this is a higher profile show in general so that might be why they wanted it on this card. Even if it doesn't need it. Way more people are going to watch this show and the title match than those who are gonna watch Rev Pro's show or check out Tana vs ZSJ if it was on that show.
    Yeah Natsuko Tora wanted a Title shot for that very belt and asked for it during a Post Match they were both involved in. Mayu was like sure, but I can't make matches, and I might not be Champion when I come back, but yeah let's do it

Ibushi vs Naito, Taiji Ishimori vs Dragon Lee vs Bandido. I'm going to need my Blood Pressure checked after I see those two Matches!

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Wasn't there supposed to be another womens tag of some kind on this show from Stardom?

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Wasn't there supposed to be another womens tag of some kind on this show from Stardom?
    That's what I heard but if there is going to be one added come the show, it'll likely be a pre show match or something.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post

Think Hana Kimura or Kagetsu cut a promo and teased it or some shit. I think involving Sumie Sakai.

Meh.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

https://twitter.com/wwr_stardom/stat...84809203830784

I mean yes please. Seeing Kagetsu, HZK, and Hana tearing it up on a bigger stage is a win win for me. HZK especially is one of those young talents that is going to keep Stardom looking good going forward she's eat this up if the Match is locked in eventually.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Hopefully Kota Ibushi wins the IWGP IC title come MSG. The intercontinental title really needs a champion that you actually remember is the champion, to be quite frank. And with Kota Ibushi now signing a contract, this is the perfect chance to pull the trigger, and it puts Ibushi in one of those top spots in the company, if more so than he is now, without having to give him the IWGP Heavyweight title belt yet. The Naito title reign has been a non factor tbh, I know why Gedo gave him the title but Naito hasn't had a good title reign with the belt barring his Tanahashi feud/run, and it's time to move on from that.

As for the rest of the card:

I think Okada wins it here. It'll be a big historic moment with a first ever title change outside of Japan and in MSG of all places. Seems like the logical option and it doesn't hurt White losing at this stage. Match should be fun given they had match of the night at Wrestle Kingdom.

Don't watch ROH but I generally keep up with feuds so I think Taven should win this match but I can see Lethal retaining. Should be a fun match with all guys undoubtedly gonna to go all out to impress.

I think ZSJ beating Tanahashi is the logical option but just imagine if you had Tanahashi as Rev Pro champion. Sabre has been hit and miss for a few months now but I can see them having a good match here.

The Jr Heavyweight title match is gonna be good. Expect it to deliver but I can't help but wish that it was a Dragon Lee vs Ishimori singles match.

The tag match is up in the air and I don't really care about the WOH or Bully Ray match.

Not sure where they are going with the Cobb vs Ospreay match. Both guys have been pushed heavily in their respective companies. Could be a good match.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

tbh, I think the only match that takes advantage of this being a joint show is Cobb Vs Ospreay. Cobb's managed to have some really fun title matches with mediocre wrestlers, and now he's up against one of the best in the world. Anything else good on this show is just NJPW Vs NJPW reruns that don't have anything to do with ROH.

I know there's cases of NJPW making the first IWGP heavyweight reign of a wrestler a short one to sort of establish them, but it's remarkable that they've given Switchblade this mega push since his excursion and he's likely gonna lose the title in his first defense and go back to Okada AGAIN.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

What happened to everyone saying that this was setting up a strong Jay title reign? Nobody, letalone White is beating Okada 3 straight times. Okada getting yet another title reign isn't exciting anyone at this point.but I have to say...I'll take typical Okada over what Jay's bringing to the table, which is legit bad, rather than just bland & stale. I do think that the crowd reaction will be interesting, I could see the crowd being super into Jay or booing him heavily.

Admin in Lockdown

Status

Oh yes I'll take the rainmaker getting the title back over extending Jay's title reign into Sakura Genesis any day of the week.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information