Thread: Pitch invaders - what should be done?

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Pitch invaders - what should be done?

So the subject has raised its head again after an ugly weekend where this happened twice in two high profile games. In Birmingham vs villa, a blues ‘fan’ ran into the pitch and punched Jack Grealish from behind, hours later when Arsenal were 2-0 up, a fan ran onto the pitch to shove Chris Smalling.

When I saw the Grealish attack, my instincts were that the guy is gonna get sent to prison for a bit (like the Leeds fan vs Kirkland, but longer sentence) and he’ll be banned for life for attending Birmingham games. But what about the club? It might seem harsh but I do think something stronger than fining the club needs to be done about yesterday. It was only one fan that punched Grealish but it was about 10,000 that cheered him on, and then there was footage of a Birmingham steward kicking Grealish as he celebrated the winner. I think for something as unprecedented as yesterday, Birmingham should have a game played behind closed doors to send a message out to fans and to the club that they need to pick up their security standards.

However the Arsenal incident then muddies the waters. It’s not ‘as bad’ as the Grealish incident, but arsenal are equally to blame for not controlling their fans as Birmingham are for not controlling their fans. Regardless of what action the fans take when they reach a player, the club should never let it get to that point. It then feels like Arsenal the club should get the same punishment as Birmingham the club, so I’m struggling to settle on what should happen here. It’s definitely shining a light on stewarding standards in the U.K. atm.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Re: Pitch invaders - what should be done?

This seems like it's becoming an issue in multiple sports though I haven't seen anything as serious as what happened with Grealish.

Status

Stadium ban.

Sucks to have it impact so many other supporters. I find it kinda comparable to when supporters use inappropriate, racist chants at players. Its usually not the whole stadium and the club, arguably, can't control that. But its necessary to send a STRONG message that going onto the pitch and attacking a player simply can never happen. As I've seen pointed out a few times, this shitstain will be a "legend" to a lot of toxic supporters at the club and will get drinks bought for him whenever he goes into a pub in the city that isn't a Villa pub. He deserves jail time. But it needs to be absolutely clear that this can never happen again. A stadium ban makes him more of a villain to all the Birmingham supporters and helps ensure it won't be repeated. Makes more sense to me than a monetary fan or a points deduction, which I've seen mooted as possible punishments to the club.

Something like the one that happened at Arsenal.... maybe not a stadium ban, but honestly, I'm biased to a degree and if a heavier hand is required to stamp out these situations... so be it.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Huggin' and Kissin'

Status
      Country                    Ireland

Yeah fuck a points deduction. Hefty fine, lifelong ban (tho these aren't heavily enforced) and a closed doors game should do the trick.

Fucking eejit how stupid can one man be.

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

I would force them to play their next 5 games without any fan support away or at an empty stadium for home games. Fucking disgraceful. Repeat offences should cause season length support bans. If it all it takes is one idiot to ruin the fun for everyone then there will be a lot less idiots about.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Established Veteran

Status

Unfortunately there are idiot fans from all clubs. They should make an example of that guy. Absolute disgrace. Jail time, fine, lifelong ban. As for the club, a few games behind closed doors is the best solution. Yes it punishes other fans but that’s probably the best option. It’s nice how Grealish handled that incident and the perfect response was that he scored the winner. Never liked Birmingham ever since they beat us in the league cup final a few years ago.

The incident in the Arsenal game wasn’t as bad as the one in the Birmingham game. However there’s no need for that sort of behaviour in football. The guy that shoved Smalling will obviously get banned, fined and jail time.

Alan Shearer thinks clubs should have points deducted which I don’t agree with. It punishes the real fans that want to watch their team every week. The trouble with points deductions is for example: What if a Liverpool fan pretends to be a Man City supporter. He runs on the pitch during a Man City match. He attacks the opposition player, deliberately getting City gets deducted points.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

Would it be wrong to go as far as saying taser the tools that run onto the pitch? Players safety needs to come first.
    I have a plan so cunning......

Thread Information