Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gallows and Anderson turn down WWE extension

Status
      Country                    United States

Gallows and Anderson turn down WWE extension

Taken from WrestleTalk:

Former WWE Tag Champions Quitting WWE

According to the ever-reliable Mike Johnson of PWInsider, former Raw Tag Team Champions Karl Anderson and Luke Gallows have turned down a huge deal to extend their current contracts with WWE, which expire in September.

Johnson says their status was one of the main points of locker room talk at this week’s SmackDown, with the duo reportedly turning down “multi-million-dollar deals” to stay with the company.

This would mark a significant pay rise from their current salaries, which were recently reported to be around $250,000 per year downside prior to merchandise royalties and bonuses.

PWInsider sources claim the duo want to quit the promotion due to the shoddy way they have been handled in recent years. They have a point. The former Bullet Club tandem rarely feature on television, have not been involved in a program of any significance for years and had their proposed Network series Botch Club cancelled after one episode.

The Good Brothers have been taken off live events in recent weeks due to initial talks with WWE “not going well”. The last time they wrestled was almost two weeks ago on February 25, when they defeated the similarly under-used Sanity on a house show.

Although there is always the possibility that WWE will start pushing Gallows and Anderson and convince them to stay, the duo are said to be determined to leave the company as soon as they are able to.

Let the Good Brothers to AEW rumours commence!
    Good for them, I say. Could make a killing wallowing in obscurity but would rather bet on themselves and be their best selves in the ring.

BIG KAIJU~

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Re: Gallows and Anderson turn down WWE extension

Yeah I'm happy they are leaving. WWE never could use them in the right way, now they go somewhere else and show the WWE what they should of done with them.

Real Women of Genius

The place to see the best of best of Women's Wrestling from all over the World

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status
      Country                    England

Not surprising.

Gallows has got his own outside ventures and Anderson could walk back into New Japan the moment his non compete ends, so I don't think the money is massively important for either of them. Barely being used was probably the decider.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

All the more power to them. Won't miss them, never got the hype for them, but I can't blame them. WWE had two chances to play off prior relationships with the Bullet Club at any time - with Balor on Raw and Styles on Smackdown - but outside of like two appearances with each aforementioned guy I don't think that booking fantasy ever got explored. Not that I was clamouring for that but I've seen enough 'The Club are misused, pair them up with Balor/Styles and dominate Raw/Smackdown' posts that I know some wanted that sorta storyline. Regardless, I won't blame anyone for wanting out if they're unhappy.

Best of luck to them.

CWA: A Decade of Decadence
    Maybe the end of something great.
    Maybe the start of something new.
    Stay tuned.

Cardcaptor

Status

Another month, another case of talented wrestlers leaving the WWE even at the chance of a pay raise to be better utilized elsewhere.

Becoming quite the trend.
    Everything will surely be alright.

Relentless Admin

Status

I'm sure AEW will offer them peanuts

The big thing for me is if you're not going to let them be allies of Finn Balor (or even AJ), then there's not much point to them. They are really low down on the totem pole in WWE tag teams in terms of workrate and even entertainment (heavy machinery offer more than they do), so if you aren't going to let them lean into their Bullet Club stuff, then they're just a team of average big men who rightly shouldn't be pushed.

I would like Karl to go back to New Japan as a singles guy, but I feel like these two are attached at the hip.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Two dull guys Id genuinely prefer seeing in WWE so they dont have to be featured in any interesting company. Dont want to see them taking up roster spots in NJPW or AEW ir anything like that.

I do find it genuinely dumb that they signed them without ever going full gung ho with the bullet club. Seemed shortsighted and woildve made a guy like Balor immediately more interesting.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    Seemed shortsighted and woildve made a guy like Balor immediately more interesting.
    Balor Club, the club with no other members.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status

I’m going to miss Chad 2 Badd and Tex Ferguson. It’s unfortunate (or too bad, lolz) that they weren’t just allowed to be those personas on the big stage. I’m sure they’ll land on their feet though, so that’s a positive.

Currently enjoying a plate of Pulpo Gallego via Tapastalk.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars of 2019~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Vice View Post
    I’m going to miss Chad 2 Badd and Tex Ferguson. It’s unfortunate (or too bad, lolz) that they weren’t just allowed to be those personas on the big stage. I’m sure they’ll land on their feet though, so that’s a positive.
    This. This is the true tragedy here. We won't get more Southpaw Regional with their greatness.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

Two dull guys Id genuinely prefer seeing in WWE so they dont have to be featured in any interesting company. Dont want to see them taking up roster spots in NJPW or AEW ir anything like that.

I do find it genuinely dumb that they signed them without ever going full gung ho with the bullet club. Seemed shortsighted and woildve made a guy like Balor immediately more interesting.
    Completely agree with Jon. Neither of these two are any good & Gallows is awful. Wish they'd stay around WWE & they let them use their real personalities because their value is 0 in-ring & their characters sucked.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I could see them both landing back in NJPW and welcomed back in the Bullet Club by Tama Tonga, who still tweets to them every now and then. It seems that their Network show “Botch Club” got canned too after one episode, which I suppose is good for Maffew at Botchamania.

I like these guys more than most around these parts but I wouldn’t mind if they left for greener pastures. Honestly, I don’t really blame them.

Rest in power, Flock U

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

I wonder what happened? They were involved in one of the biggest stories of a group leaving one company and coming into another and while it's unrealistic to expect for them to be treated the same as Nakamura and Styles, the WWE still didn't do much with them. They're still a pair of guys that managed to entirely skip over NXT. Since NXT's creation in 2012, how many wrestlers can say they came into the company without having to be wasted in NXT? Minus the initial 205 Live guys, who had their own version of pre-WWE with the CWC, I can only think of mega stars like Sting and Goldberg, guys who ended up being a big deal like Styles, and super rare failures like Mike Kanelis. Granted, they had a Raw Tag Team Titles run, but that seems really forgettable due to The Bar's emergence as Raw's new top heel team and the return of the Hardyz.

I'd have to assume that when they were signed, the WWE had big plans for them. My assumption is that for whatever reason, they just fell out of favor with McMahon. Which for a tag team, probably doesn't take much to be forgotten.

Even with this WWE run being a disappointment for them, they managed to increase their star awareness and are now going to be free agents during one of the hottest periods for signings since the death of WCW.

No One

Status

I think the fact that Gallows had a run with WWE in the past that was relatively decent and long lasting meant there was little reason to send him down to NXT and considering Anderson was paired up with him, it only added to that.

Status

I think the fact that Gallows had a run with WWE in the past that was relatively decent and long lasting meant there was little reason to send him down to NXT and considering Anderson was paired up with him, it only added to that.
    I almost wouldn't be surprised if Vince had completely forgotten Gallows by the time he came back into the company.

Relentless Admin

Status

Jim:

1. They were signed to get them out of New Japan. It was a raid to hurt New Japan, not to benefit WWE (although in AJ's case it definitely did benefit them).
    2. Triple H would of had no use for on NXT because they would never be Takeover quality in-ring wise and you wouldn't be able to play up the Bullet Club stuff to the smark NXT fans for legal reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    1. They were signed to get them out of New Japan. It was a raid to hurt New Japan, not to benefit WWE (although in AJ's case it definitely did benefit them).
    In general, I struggle to buy into any wrestling claims of raids. Whether it's McMahon in the 80s, Bischoff in the 90s, and the WWE today. It's a fun theory to speculate about, but the WWE ultimately only signed four guys and they ultimately returned to Japan once(?) in 2016.

2. Triple H would of had no use for on NXT because they would never be Takeover quality in-ring wise and you wouldn't be able to play up the Bullet Club stuff to the smark NXT fans for legal reasons.
    I struggle to buy into this theory as well because this was just before the NXT Tag division exploded in quality with Revival, AA, and DIY was producing on TakeOver and instead the NXT Tag Team division on TakeOvers were more about just the likes of Enzo/Cass, Murphy/Blake, and The Vaudevillians. Not to mention later in the year AOP were pushed hard despite being green rookies. The likes of The Good Brothers would have fit in just fine at that point in NXT history.

Relentless Admin

Status

Doesn't matter if you agree with the term raid or not, they signed 4 guys from New Japan on the same day, that's fairly unprecedented in the modern era. My point still remains that Anderson and Gallows were signed away with the idea it would weaken competition more than it would strengthen WWE.

You're thinking about NXT purely on what was happening on Takeovers, on TV the tag division was hotting up and clearly in early 2016 there was a shift to tag teams being better technically and getting more time, with Revival and American Alpha being the two teams most featured. By the time Gallows and Anderson had debuted, Vaudevillians and Enzo and Big Cass were already on the main roster. It's not just the style, it's age too, the tag division was mainly made up of younger, hungry guys looking to make a mark, established veteran tag team Anderson and Gallows would of stuck out like a sore thumb if they went to NXT first. Triple H would of known creatively what he wanted to do with his tag division by the time the raid happened, and I doubt it involved those two because they didn't fit the picture at the time. It wouldn't surprise me if they were signed with the thinking they'd be associated with AJ from the off so WWE would have a BC of their own, but then Vince changed the idea to AJ being the 'PITBULL' in his first few months.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Doesn't matter if you agree with the term raid or not, they signed 4 guys from New Japan on the same day, that's fairly unprecedented in the modern era. My point still remains that Anderson and Gallows were signed away with the idea it would weaken competition more than it would strengthen WWE.
    Is it unprecedented? Well, maybe, but New Japan's contracts typically expiring at the same time is so unlike American contracts in general to the point that even at the peak of the Monday Night Wars, you didn't have four wrestlers contracts expiring at the same time.

You're thinking about NXT purely on what was happening on Takeovers, on TV the tag division was hotting up and clearly in early 2016 there was a shift to tag teams being better technically and getting more time, with Revival and American Alpha being the two teams most featured. By the time Gallows and Anderson had debuted, Vaudevillians and Enzo and Big Cass were already on the main roster. It's not just the style, it's age too, the tag division was mainly made up of younger, hungry guys looking to make a mark, established veteran tag team Anderson and Gallows would of stuck out like a sore thumb if they went to NXT first. Triple H would of known creatively what he wanted to do with his tag division by the time the raid happened, and I doubt it involved those two because they didn't fit the picture at the time. It wouldn't surprise me if they were signed with the thinking they'd be associated with AJ from the off so WWE would have a BC of their own, but then Vince changed the idea to AJ being the 'PITBULL' in his first few months.
    #HottingUp

Spoiler:

Sorry.

I don't get how a veteran team would have stuck out when the likes of The War Raiders and The Undisputed Era were together and names for a few years prior to being signed by NXT. If you're talking about pure age of the wrestlers, Gallows may have Arn Anderson hydrometry of always looking like an old man, but he's basically the same age as Chad Gable and Scott Dawson. Sure, Anderson is a few years older, but he hardly comes across as some old man.

NXT is all about being a smark's dream company and being members of Bullet Club made The Good Brothers pretty natural selections for NXT.

*Edit* Wait, is "Hotting up" normal Brit slang?

Relentless Admin

Status

If you've never heard of it before I guess it must be British slang

Thread Information