Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Rousey's new "shoot" gimmick

Status
      Country                    United States

Thoughts on Rousey's new "shoot" gimmick

So as we stagger through WrestleMania season, what was once the most anticipated and promising match on the card has kind of turned into a bit of a shitshow. Of course, I'm talking about the Raw's Women Championship match which will, in all likelihood, be the first ever women's WrestleMania main event. A few short weeks ago, we were so eager to see how the events would play out between Rousey, Lynch and Charlotte. Today, there are many critics of the feud and the storyline that most believed should have been a license to print money has turned into a bit of a contrived mess.

But aside from the on screen happenings, the biggest buzz about this feud has come from the war that has unfolded on social media, particularly between Lynch and Rousey. The line between reality and fantasy has been a bit skewed throughout this thing. It's far from unheard of for wrestlers to use these platforms to advance storylines. The personal nature of a lot of the digs is the main thing that called into question whether the beef was legit between these ladies, as well as reports that Rousey was furious with some of Lynch's barbs. The last two weeks specifically, things have ventured into an unfamiliar territory as Ronda Rousey has repeatedly broken kayfabe. First by dismissing Becky Lynch's finishing move as fake, calling her out by her real name and declaring that she planned to give Becky a real life beatdown next time she saw her. That brings us to the most recent episode of Raw where she cut a "shoot" promo saying that WWE couldn't stop her from doing what wanted, she didn't care about the fans' opinions or feelings and there would be "no more Mrs. Nice Bitch". Now, things are continuing to develop on Ronda's vlog where she claims she went off script on Raw, legitimately beat up Becky Lynch, and told the world that wrestling is scripted. It's fake. It's not real.

Now, news outlets and people close to Ronda have been saying that Ronda is legit pissed off at Becky, she is legit going rogue and she will legit fight a bitch. I'm sure there is truth in all of that, but there is beyond enough evidence to tell us that this is still being orchestrated by WWE, at least to some extent. Basically, signs are indicating that WWE are leaning into the rumors that Lynch and Rousey truly hate each other. You get the sense that maybe Ronda wasn't told to break kayfabe on Twitter, initially, but since she did, WWE are rolling with it. Another theory is that Rousey really is pissed, so now WWE is giving her this badass "wrestling is fake" gimmick and allowing her to manhandle Lynch in order to appease her. There are a lot of possibilities here, but the bottom line is this is a work, still. WWE are going the direction of trying to make this rivalry look as real as possible, at the cost of throwing kayfabe completely out the window. Honestly, in 2019, kayfabe is as good as dead. Everyone knows people are working under fake identities with fake gimmicks and the whole thing is just a show. But, I'd say it is still a little taboo to some people to just outright call the whole thing fake, publicly and repeatedly. It's almost like telling people not to take any of this seriously, not even the competition aspect. Because even if you know that, and most people do, some people don't want to hear it.

So anyways I thought we could have a discussion about this recent gimmick change and heel turn for Rousey. Do you think it was a good direction to go? How legitimate do you think all of this is? Have any feelings on the complete and utter disregard for kayfabe?

Personally, I feel like maybe the whole thing is a little cheap? Seems like a cop out to have a former fighter or boxer come in and do the whole "I'm not a wrestler, I'm a FIGHTER" bit. Maybe it's just the fact that I hate what happens whenever Ronda opens her mouth or composes a tweet. Maybe it's that I think WWE is trying to get a rise out of all of us and try to create a pipe bomb moment here, and I'm just not going for it. Whatever the case, I'm not super into the new direction or where this feud is at right now. Things have disintegrated pretty quickly for what began as one of the most anticipated storylines I can remember in some time. I'll be interested to see what goes down at WrestleMania, though. Not in the sense that I'm looking forward to the match, but in the sense that I'm interested to see what happens in the aftermath. If Ronda loses and steps away or whatever, will she just maintain that it's all fake and she just agreed to lose the title? How will that impact Becky's moment, winning the title but everyone in the world is thinking about how it was scripted? I feel like going this route may have been desperation on the part of WWE but it could be a real dark cloud over the rest of this story and beyond even.

What do you all make of it?

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Thoughts on Rousey's new "shoot" gimmick

Absolutely terrible, I never ever want a storyline in wrestling to be based around the idea of someone calling the industry fake in an attempt to get heat, even if it's some self aware BS where you're trying to work the smart fans into booing Ronda. The #1 thing that should be untouchable in wrestling angles is putting it out there that wrestling is scripted, I'd sooner see Claire Lynch and Al Wilson shit again before this. Almost every fan is clever enough to know that Charlotte and Becky IRL are good friends, but you put that to one side while the cameras are rolling to believe that they hate each other. What's entertaining about being reminded that what your watching is fake but btw please tune in next week for when I act tough for real this time? Ronda and her booking have been fucking abysmal since the Rumble.

I thought Omega and Tanahashi having a main event storyline about match quality and star ratings was the dumbest thing I'd see for a while from a major company, but this has topped it.

BIG KAIJU~

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Well safe to say that the majority of us are on board when you're saying this feud has turned into a mess for sure. Ronda acting like she is now, vs how she was acting before I actually take this new Ronda approach. It's just fuel to the fire and the stirring of the Pot to get more people interested in the Match heading into Mania. Now it wouldn't be the first time a Wrestler was hurt or pissed of them dropping their Title/Spot to another Wrestler. Hell I remember HBK kicking the Doors of the Post WM Press Conference because he was still pissed having to drop the Title and retire and leave it in the hands of Austin. He didn't want to drop the Title when Austin was the air apparent he couldn't handle it in 98. If Ronda can't handle it, she needs to learn you do these types of things for the Company you work for, because you one day you will be given that rub and opportunity if you show to be a good Soldier.

If she goes nuts after Mania..GREAT..then when she returns the story of her vs Becky again writes itself. Ronda being Hollywood is something people were talking about her when she was signed, with the thought of oh she's just going to act as if she's better than everyone here. I don't like her comments overall, but I think WWE is in this to a degree, and usually more often than not these types of things have a way of working out than not working out.
    Last edited by Kairi HoHo; 03-08-2019 at 07:40 PM.

Real Women of Genius

The place to see the best of best of Women's Wrestling from all over the World

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Absolutely terrible, I never ever want a storyline in wrestling to be based around the idea of someone calling the industry fake in an attempt to get heat, even if it's some self aware BS where you're trying to work the smart fans into booing Ronda. The #1 thing that should be untouchable in wrestling angles is putting it out there that wrestling is scripted, I'd sooner see Claire Lynch and Al Wilson shit again before this. Almost every fan is clever enough to know that Charlotte and Becky IRL are good friends, but you put that to one side while the cameras are rolling to believe that they hate each other. What's entertaining about being reminded that what your watching is fake but btw please tune in next week for when I act tough for real this time? Ronda and her booking have been fucking abysmal since the Rumble.

I thought Omega and Tanahashi having a main event storyline about match quality and star ratings was the dumbest thing I'd see for a while from a major company, but this has topped it.
    Yeah I think a big issue that lingers over all this is that the only real winner in this whole situation could be Ronda. She gets to pretend to be the only "real" thing on a show she presents as totally fake. She has the MMA accolades to point to to prove her legitimacy. Even if/when she is beaten she gets to walk away with her credibility in tact while Becky or whoever beats her is left behind to be a fake champion because Ronda already told everyone that if she loses, it was just a part of the script. Again, most people are aware of this but it isn't something you have in your mind. Now, when Ronda does lose, it will be most people's first thought that she just said everything was fake a couple weeks ago, so who really cares? Then there's the possibility that Ronda doesn't even take the pin or submission that causes her to lose the title and gets to walk out having given nothing back and shit all over the industry.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Honestly I don't know what to make of Ronda's new shoot gimmick. I think the idea of saying it's fake and I could beat you up in a real fight is totally ridiculous in a pro wrestling setting. I've always preferred total kayfabe in my wrestling or at least in a way that doesn't scream "this isn't real. This includes no real names being revealed unless you're using your name, sticking to the gimmick or what ever dynamic you're pulling, face or heel. No star ratings talk (ugh). All of this screams out what WCW did wrong during their last years, taking their viewers out of the shows with constant "shoots" or inside wink wink. So Ronda saying on twitter and other videos that it's not real basically goes against that, and I absolutely hate that part of her gimmick but I suppose that's the point. People, like it or not, are more interested in this feud and there is more "buzz" for the feud than without this stuff. Even if I'm not that interested myself, but others are interested, whether they want to admit it or not. Like Ed said to me in the "should Charlotte be in the match" thread. Without it, we wouldn't be talking about it right now. So in that sense, it's job well done. The fans hate Ronda, like WWE wanted, and they are more for Becky and Charlotte basically.

I would've liked a much traditional heel turn by Ronda. Something along the lines of "how much more superior she is to them" (she is anyway), or have her talk about how she has ran through everyone, and being uber arrogant about it. Not this shoot gimmick but it's gave the feud more steam going into WrestleMania.

Striving for a B+ in life

Status

"It's fake and I could beat you in a real fight" is only a valuable promo line if there will actually be a real fight.

Which there won't.

There will be a fake fight.

Which we've already acknowledged happens.

So congratulations, might as well not even show up.

"The Golden One" Devin Golden

3x FWA World Heavyweight Champion
    2x FWA X Champion
    4x FWA Tag Team Champion
    Final record: 94-58-10

Shannon O'Neal
    2x FWA Women's Champion
    1x FWA World Champion

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

I dunno, let's ask WCW how well-received the 'Goldberg is refusing to follow the script' angle was.

It's awful. Zero redeeming qualities. The Ronda/Becky/Charlotte feud doesn't need it, but really no feud should 'need' it as it complete devalues everything that comes before and after it. Why would the casual viewer be engrossed with, say, Kofi Kingston's 11-year journey to the WWE Championship when the premier and most-hyped feud just said everything is fake and scripted EXCEPT FOR THIS FIGHT IN WHICH THEY'LL FIGHT FOR REAL? And yeah, it's 2019, people know it's a co-operative theatre sport, the cat's out of the bag, we all understand that and get it. But it's like if in Avengers: Infinity War Tony Stark decided to stop the final fight with Thanos and say 'This fake shit is ridonkulous, who buys this crap, hey Josh Brolin, wipe that purple CGI/makeup off so I can beat your ass FOR REALSIES' and Thanos was like 'fuck you Robert Downey Jr I genuinely dislike you despite working amicably with you to ensure Avenges: Infinity War was a good movie but now you've gone too far!' and they had a shitty slapfight while Tom Holland made remarks wishing his spider-powers were real and not movie magic, then like ten minutes later tried to have a heartfelt moment with Iron Man & Spider Man. But no-one brought it because ten minutes ago everyone stopped treating it as a fictional movie for our entertainment and instead treated it as a disagreement beef between two actors, before flopping back into the 'hey it's a movie now' attitude. There's a difference between leaning on or breaking the fourth wall, and demolishing it with a sledgehammer and setting the remains on fire before trying to rebuild it with paper mache and duct tape in time for the next segment.

Who's idea was this? What did they think the, if any, upside to it was? A tiny bit of extra hype at the expense of everything else on the show. There is no positive. Every other feud looks meaningless and it makes everything Ronda or anyone else has done in the WWE meaningless.

man I can't wait until Ronda decided to just leave.

CWA: A Decade of Decadence
    Maybe the end of something great.
    Maybe the start of something new.
    Stay tuned.

WC Hall Of Famer

Status

I have no real issue with it, it’s unusual to see but kayfabe has been dead and buried for years anyways. It’s just used as a way to get Ronda heat, and it’s working, which will make it all the more better and give a bigger pop to Becky when she beats Ronda and Charlotte at Mania.

Rest in power, Flock U

Team Cyrus T is Best for Business

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Stop the hating of the E-Feds. If you don't like something, that's fine, just ignore it and let the people who do enjoy what they're here on WC to do. Mocking them to make you feel less of a geek for being on a geek on a wrestling forum is lame. If you want to not read their posts, I can fix that for you.

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy King View Post
    I have no real issue with it, it’s unusual to see but kayfabe has been dead and buried for years anyways. It’s just used as a way to get Ronda heat, and it’s working, which will make it all the more better and give a bigger pop to Becky when she beats Ronda and Charlotte at Mania.
    Yeah but this is irrelevant tbh. There's a difference between us acknowledging that this is fake and the characters acknowledging that what they do is meaningless and fake (unless it's a parody a la Deadpool and I'm not sure how that would work in wrestling). The comparison to Thanos/Iron Man acknowledging each other as Brolin/Downey Jr is 100% accurate. Kayfabe is meaningless. In fact, kayfabe being dead is somewhat beneficial because it allows the workers to further push the boundaries of the story since we're willing to acknowledge that this is fake. None of us are watching it to legitimately see who is a tougher fighter. We're watching for a story the same way we watch movies/tv/etc and we're willing to suspend our disbelief for the sake of the story. You can't really suspend the disbelief when the character is yelling at us that all this shit is dumb/pointless.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snow View Post
    Yeah but this is irrelevant tbh. There's a difference between us acknowledging that this is fake and the characters acknowledging that what they do is meaningless and fake (unless it's a parody a la Deadpool and I'm not sure how that would work in wrestling). The comparison to Thanos/Iron Man acknowledging each other as Brolin/Downey Jr is 100% accurate. Kayfabe is meaningless. In fact, kayfabe being dead is somewhat beneficial because it allows the workers to further push the boundaries of the story since we're willing to acknowledge that this is fake. None of us are watching it to legitimately see who is a tougher fighter. We're watching for a story the same way we watch movies/tv/etc and we're willing to suspend our disbelief for the sake of the story. You can't really suspend the disbelief when the character is yelling at us that all this shit is dumb/pointless.
    Bingo. Big difference in knowing/acknowledging it's fake and having it shoved in your face that it's fake. "This is all fake" is not the thing you want on the front of your mind when you're watching something fictional, whether it's wrestling, TV, movies or any other kind of performance. Imagine you go to see a magic show and right before the guy does this intricate illusion he pauses to remind everyone that he doesn't actually have powers. It also makes for a weird conflict when Ronda goes out and does a worked shoot, and then the next segment is a tag team match between Ascension and Heavy Machinery where Michael Cole is positioning the match as a competition with real ramifications.

Last Real Man Hype

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    It also makes for a weird conflict when Ronda goes out and does a worked shoot, and then the next segment is a tag team match between Ascension and Heavy Machinery where Michael Cole is positioning the match as a competition with real ramifications.
    Or, y'know, Ronda goes out and does a worked shoot to build up to a worked work at Workmania.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakstang
    You can't have a reasonable discussion about serious topics with people like Marketh around.

Crotchety Old SMOD

Status
      Country                    Canada

Sounds like Ronda worked herself into a shoot brother.

Ask Fuji|2019 Movie Log

Help decide WC's Fave Five WWE Superstars of 2019~!

​​​

Quote Originally Posted by Wang Chung
    Fuji- got his hint possibly town but also threatened Cox with a burrito up his ass

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The Golden One View Post
    "It's fake and I could beat you in a real fight" is only a valuable promo line if there will actually be a real fight.

Which there won't.

There will be a fake fight.

Which we've already acknowledged happens.

So congratulations, might as well not even show up.
    What makes it even more hilarious is the last two times Ronda was in a real fight, she got her ass kicked.

Ronda just isn't that great in the WWE. She's still a bit sloppy in the ring, and she gets pretty worked up easily and it's clear. She's mediocre at best on the mic, as well.

Combine the fact this would have actually been really fun if it was just Becky vs Rousey, but they had to involve Charlotte? Blegh.
    Everything will surely be alright.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Sakura View Post
    Combine the fact this would have actually been really fun if it was just Becky vs Rousey, but they had to involve Charlotte? Blegh.
    They probably wanted it to be a good match.

No slander against the GOAT shall prosper!

Cardcaptor

Status

Charlotte is very good, but needs some time away from the title.

Even the best in the world needs to let other shine. It's not fun to just have the same people involved in the picture constantly. There's plenty of other talent to let have a chance.

Status

Charlotte is very good, but needs some time away from the title.

Even the best in the world needs to let other shine. It's not fun to just have the same people involved in the picture constantly. There's plenty of other talent to let have a chance.
    I mean she's most likely losing anyways. She might only be in this match in order to take the fall.

Cardcaptor

Status

Quote Originally Posted by The EC View Post
    I mean she's most likely losing anyways. She might only be in this match in order to take the fall.
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking happens.

If Ronda really is leaving after Mania, I can see them having Becky make Charlotte tap out to win the title.

Status

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking happens.

If Ronda really is leaving after Mania, I can see them having Becky make Charlotte tap out to win the title.
    Wouldn't surprise me if Ronda was unwilling to lose clean. So, if the plan is to have Becky win, I'd rather she beat someone clean, as opposed to some kind of screwy finish that somehow gets the belt off Ronda and on to Becky.

People's Champion

Status

Haha holy outrage!!!

WWE isnt going to die because of shoot style angles. Guys get a grip.

Personally , im fine with the use of real names, swearing etc. It makes this more personal. WWE screwed the pooch by trying to add Charlotte to this feud. Charlotte should of been jumped by Asuka so Asuka can avenge her loss at WM.

As far as saying her armbar is fake.... i heard that i was like shes simply saying her armbar sucks. She should of said that
    Instead. Same as saying Paper Champion

Im more interested in Ronda now than ever. I really hope its simply Becky vs Ronda though
    Last edited by indyfan; 03-10-2019 at 01:03 PM.
    ROH!!!ROH!!!ROH!!!

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Haha holy outrage!!!
    Calling any of this outrage is a huge reach on your part. Simply some people expressing opposition to the subject being discussed.

WWE isnt going to die because of shoot style angles. Guys get a grip.
    Was literally never in question.

Personally , im fine with the use of real names, swearing etc. It makes this more personal.
    The only aspect of Ronda shooting that anyone is questioning is her stating that everything happening is fake and scripted, and that if things were real, she would beat Lynch's ass, even though they're not going to have a real fight, so why does it matter?

WWE screwed the pooch by trying to add Charlotte to this feud. Charlotte should of been jumped by Asuka so Asuka can avenge her loss at WM.
    That's fair enough. I don't think Charlotte has ruined the feud by any means, but her being included has seemingly caused things to get way more convoluted than they needed to be.

As far as saying her armbar is fake.... i heard that i was like shes simply saying her armbar sucks. She should of said that instead. Same as saying Paper Champion
    That would have been better for sure, but I think given the recent events, you can deduce that she was saying her armbar is a fake move, just like all the rest of her moves.

Im more interested in Ronda now than ever. I really hope its simply Becky vs Ronda though
    I guess that's good that at least a few of you guys are feeling this gimmick. Maybe I'd be down for it if someone with more charisma than Ronda was pulling it off but unfortunately this gimmick that should make her more interesting has not made her promos any less cringe worthy thus far.

Barring some kind of twist, Charlotte is definitely in. Even if she loses to Becky today, the match will just become a triple threat. So she'd have to be injured or get booted by The McMahons to stop it from being a triple threat.

Thread Information