Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Japan Cup 2019

Status
      Country                    Jamaica

NJPW New Japan Cup 2019

Bracket has been released! Apologies for using the Japanese version, could not find English version of the bracket.

I've put it in order below (so the winner of Nagata/Ishii faces the winner of Honma/Taichi and so on.)

First Round
    8th March - Korakuen Hall

Yuji Nagata vs Tomohiro Ishii
    Tomoaki Honma vs Taichi
    Manabu Nakanishi vs YOSHI-HASHI
    Juice Robinson vs Chase Owens

---

9th March - Aichi Prefectural Gym

Kazuchika Okada vs Michael Elgin
    Mikey Nicholls vs Hikuleo
    Will Ospreay vs Bad Luck Fale
    Toa Henare vs Lance Archer

---

10th March - Baycom Gymnasium, Hyogo

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Shota Umino
    Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Ryusuke Taguchi
    Kota Ibushi vs Tetsuya Naito
    EVIL vs Zack Sabre Jr.

---

11th March - Takamatsu General Gym 1

Togi Makabe vs Colt Cabana
    Toru Yano vs Davey Boy Smith Jr.
    Hirooki Goto vs SANADA
    Satoshi Kojima vs Minoru Suzuki

---

Some surprises here in the form if Naito and Ospreay competing as well as Mikey Nicholls and Cabana showing up. Umino getting a spot is very interesting too. It seems like one of Naito/EVIL are destined to be eliminated in the first round and I think it's likely going to be Naito. But, idk. I really think Ibushi vs Ospreay final could be fun but both have incredibly tough paths to the final. I think they'll want to protect matches like Ibushi vs Okada from happening in the final so it's up in the air. I'll go with Ibushi winning the whole thing though. I can see Okada vs Ospreay happening... which would be interesting considering Ospreay's facing Jay White too. Mikey Nicholls has also officially joined CHAOS... expected given his previous alignment with Yano.
    Last edited by MC 16; 04-19-2019 at 02:42 PM.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Re: New Japan Cup 2019

Ha! You beaten me to it. Luckily I checked otherwise that would've been awkward .

Some really good looking matches all throughout the Cup. Nagata vs Ishii!! Okada vs Elgin!! Tanahashi vs Umino! Some unusual names in there too, like Mikey Nicholls and Colt Cabana. I like them breaking up the usual line up. Allows some people to take loses without affecting the quality of tournament.

Nakanishi for one more reign.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China
    Shane Haste is probably feeling like the biggest goof in wrestling.

I much prefer this style of tournament to the previous years' versions & it should be a lot of fun. A lot of good matches & some where underpushed guys like YH & Finlay can get wins too.

I think Okada's path is very easy to the final four, I expect him to win.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post

I much prefer this style of tournament to the previous years' versions & it should be a lot of fun. A lot of good matches & some where underpushed guys like YH & Finlay can get wins too.

I think Okada's path is very easy to the final four, I expect him to win.
    Don't see Okada winning it the NJ Cup but I do see an Ibushi vs Okada final with Ibushi winning. The brackets work out just fine for that.

And oh, all of the shows will be live and have English commentary available.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    Don't see Okada winning it the NJ Cup but I do see an Ibushi vs Okada final with Ibushi winning. The brackets work out just fine for that.

And oh, all of the shows will be live and have English commentary available.
    Ibushi has to beat Naito though, no need to challenge for both belts back to back & the IC Title is more likely to main event Dontaku than the Heavy.

I think SANADA beats Ibushi to get to the final after Ibushi beats EVIL in the second round, Ibushi gets his win back a month later on his way to facing Naito for the IC, Okada beats Jay at MSG for the title.

Status

I love how this entire tournament set up (with how Ospreay and Naito are acting) makes Jay White feel like a big deal/everyone's gunning for him.

I don't know where I sit on who's winning this. Okada is a possibility but Okada vs Jay at MSG strikes me as a no go because Jay surely needs to go over at MSG. They're not giving him a transitional reign. This is a reign intended to set Jay up as the real deal ian beale. Ibushi is the perfect candidate for this but it's a weird situation if he beats Naito, challenges Jay, loses then challenges Naito. However, I am fairly confident Naito is dropping the IC belt prior to the G1 (he's either going in as IWGP Hebbiq or he's coming out of it with the G1 victory). Either that or Naito's taking the belt from the champ post G1 but seems doubtful.

However, Okada could feasibly beat Jay in a rematch post MSG and still lose at the MSG match... but I feel like they're going to put Ibushi in the spot to be a solid victory during this reign for Jay. But as has been said, Ibushi beating Naito then challenging for IWGP then IC is a bit overkill but it can happen. Naito could also win this tournament, relinquish the IC and then beat Jay at MSG but I doubt it.

I don't think Ibushi absolutely needs to beat Naito but I do think him taking out Naito then facing more LIJ down the line is a good storyline for him.

Hoping for a good showing from Umino and Nicholls. Should be a great tournament.

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Oh I didn't mean Ivushi has to beat Naito, just Ibushi has to beat Naito to win the tournament obvs and what we said before about him not challenging for both titles. I think Naito winning the tournament and challenging Jay at MSG is definitely a possibility but Okada makes the most sense of the three IMO whether Jay wins or loses.

I admit I may be letting my own bias take on its form for the Jay reign ending early. I always think if you're going to put the belt on someone you should give them a chance, but I just think he hasn't been very good and isn't the right person to win the title. With Gedo there by him I just think he'll get shoved down everyone 's throats even if he doesn't deserve it and would like for that not to happen if possible.

MR WRESTLEMANIA

Status

I get the feeling had they both asked for their release, neither would of been granted it. Pleased to see him still in the business but the idea of him in singles action doesn't thrill me.

I agree with others, it's cool to see this format of the NJ Cup. It never made much sense anyway having someone win the tournament and then choose any title that wasn't the IWGP Heavyweight Championship. The other champions being in this boosts it from a match quality perspective and allows you to setup more title matches for the future. I can see Okada being the favourite for this but that's awfully soon to be running White/Okada again and presumably having Okada fail again....a 3rd time....to Jay. But sticking Ibushi on Naito's side of thing screams setting up Ibushi Vs Naito for MSG. Okada/White and Ibushi/Naito are big matches on paper, but they are also matches that have been run enough before to where you aren't wasting a match to draw a big crowd in Japan. idk, I can't work it out, all I know is Tanahashi Vs Umino is gonna rock.

It's laughable that once a year they try to present Fale as a threat and then you get tournaments like this where he's given probably a first round exist to Will Ospreay.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Oh I didn't mean Ivushi has to beat Naito, just Ibushi has to beat Naito to win the tournament obvs and what we said before about him not challenging for both titles. I think Naito winning the tournament and challenging Jay at MSG is definitely a possibility but Okada makes the most sense of the three IMO whether Jay wins or loses.

I admit I may be letting my own bias take on its form for the Jay reign ending early. I always think if you're going to put the belt on someone you should give them a chance, but I just think he hasn't been very good and isn't the right person to win the title. With Gedo there by him I just think he'll get shoved down everyone 's throats even if he doesn't deserve it and would like for that not to happen if possible.
    And that's why I don't see Okada winning. White needs to win in MSG to solidify him as a top guy in the company, especially in front of the foreign fans, and Okada really shouldn't lose their next encounter given he has already lost twice to him. They could have White win again but being 0-3 seems like an odd way for the feud to continue on. But they also need a top guy to be in an IWGP Heavyweight title match come MSG time.

MR WRESTLEMANIA

Status

Taguchi has replaced Finlay in this tournament. Tough break for Dave who was probably gonna win his first round match.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Pretty good replacement. Awesome to see Taguchi getting a shot, sadly it came at the expense of Finlay. Just when David Finlay was looking to be given a shot to show what he can do, just like Juice was given, he gets injured. Shame. Hope he gets another shot come the G1.

Status

The tournament looks better now

Don't @

~
    ~ THE KING OF KINGS ~~
    Spoiler:

MR WRESTLEMANIA

Status

Pretty good replacement. Awesome to see Taguchi getting a shot, sadly it came at the expense of Finlay. Just when David Finlay was looking to be given a shot to show what he can do, just like Juice was given, he gets injured. Shame. Hope he gets another shot come the G1.
    As much as I’d love to see Finlay in the G1, I can’t see him making it in unless they extend the blocks. They’ve lost Omega and Page from last year’s tournament (? Still on can they get Omega in anyway I guess) and they have to add Ospreay. Then you’ve got the likes of kojima who only sat out last year due to injury and he needs his farewell G1. Idk, I’m not confident he makes the cut.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    As much as I’d love to see Finlay in the G1, I can’t see him making it in unless they extend the blocks. They’ve lost Omega and Page from last year’s tournament (? Still on can they get Omega in anyway I guess) and they have to add Ospreay. Then you’ve got the likes of kojima who only sat out last year due to injury and he needs his farewell G1. Idk, I’m not confident he makes the cut.
    Let's just hope there is no Tama Tonga this year and Finlay takes his spot.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Finlay should be in before Tama surely.

Taguchi getting a shot is great, if he and Tana were to have a match Tana would go out of his way to make Taguchi look as awesome as possible and his overness probably has been worthy of a promotion for awhile now in general.

MR WRESTLEMANIA

Status

Let's just hope there is no Tama Tonga this year and Finlay takes his spot.
    Well obviously this is something I'd be in favour of, but I just can't see Tama not being involved. I'd like to believe they won't put 3 bullet club guys in the G1 but.....Gedo

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Day One was an okay show. A few fun matches.

Manabu Nakanishi vs YOSHI-HASHI
    Now this was a bunch of fun to watch. Nakanishi kicking Yoshi’s ass with Yoshi-Hashi selling really well for him was good enough for me. Nakanishi going to the top rope was certainly a surprise to see too. Fun match.

Taichi vs Homna
    Didn't watch it. Was hungry so I went to the local cafe and brought a cheese, bacon and sausage sandwich. It was lovely . Gonna watch it later.

Juice Robinson vs Chase Owens
    I like Juice Robinson and Chase Owens is somewhat underrated but this match wasn’t good at all. It was so dull for a large part of it. The early technical stuff was so interesting and didn’t engage me at all. It all felt in slow motion - filler to the nth degree almost. I half expected the match to end much earlier than it did but it dragged along, not getting any more interesting. The final stretch was better and fun but didn’t make up for the rest of the match. Glad Owens won but it's a shame about Juice.

Tomohiro Ishii vs Yuji Nagata
    Everything I wanted in this and more. Nagata looked great. It’s been a while since Nagata gone out and had a great match and with Ishii as his opponent, this was the perfect time to do it. Some nasty striking from both, Nagata especially. He put so much force behind his elbows that I thought Ishii broke his jaw a few times. Ishii’s selling was really great too. Awesome main event.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

The main event was great & I thought the semi-main was better than MC but still just solid. The YH/Nak match was fun but also wouldn't call it good either, they tried hard.. The Taichi/Honma match was atrocious. Watching Honma now is just sad & Taichi just sucks ass as usual. Please God tell me who thought giving them almost 20 minutes was a good idea???

Please more of Nagata singles matches. That might be the best NJPW match this year.

MR WRESTLEMANIA

Status

I didn't watch anything else from the show because it looked poor on paper, but I did check out the main event which I had mixed feelings on. There's you move my move matches, and then there's just standing there taking several shots in a row from your opponent without moving and making any attempt to block, counter or dodge punches and elbows. I don't mind the odd scattered moment of fighting spirit, I've obviously got a history of being high on Ishii matches that have those moments, but there was something about this one this time that fell flat to me, felt like the first half of the match were just these dick measuring contests over and over again. If it was a match with no build to it, I'd of probably been into it more, but as they've been killing each other since New Years Dash and have been waiting for this moment, I wanted a proper fight feel for this. 2nd half was real good though and I've no doubts this was much better than the other matches on the show.

For me Naito/Jericho, Ospreay/Ibushi, Ishimori/Taguchi and ZSJ/Umino I'd rank as better matches this year from New Japan.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status

Juice/Chase really wasn't that bad and Nak/YH was at least interesting to watch. Nobody should watch Taichi/Honma though, that's one of the WMOTY so far.

I think your criticisms of the 1st half are fair of the main but it still came around. I have blue colored glasses on because we have big match Nagata.

Ishimori/Taguchi is probably the one out of those I would ride for even though I liked them all at some level. I honestly think you can make the case there hasn't been a single "great" match in NJPW this year but there have been some very good ones.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information