Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Japan Cup 2019

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: New Japan Cup 2019

YH/Ishii was very good but probably would of come off better if I hadn't watched Okada/Ishii just before it.

Wasn't impressed by Okada/Ospreay at all.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

There has been some really good matches this year but there are only two matches that's considered a MOTYC.

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by MC 16 View Post
    There has been some really good matches this year but there are only two matches that's considered a MOTYC.
    What's the other MOTYC after Ishii/Okada?

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    What's the other MOTYC after Ishii/Okada?
    Ishii/Nagata. It was my number one for the year until Ishii/Okada happened.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

I thought there were some real pacing issues with the Final & I didn't love it. Ed brought up Okada/Naito from last year as everything wrong with NJPW main events, but I think this is the prototype for "generic Okada main event". It's a shame because Okada's had an otherwise strong start to 2019. SANADA was looking hot until after the Goto match, after that I really wasn't too impressed with this push he got, the best part of this all was his "*insert city here* is my favorite city in the world" promos.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

It definitely had some pacing issues but I think it's quite established that it's not an Okada formula anyway, it's a New Japan, and most Japanese wrestling main event formula in general. Certainly nowadays. Most companies have the slow feel out grappling start before it heads to the outside and picks up from there structure. Just the way it is. With that being said the closing stretch was excellent and whilst its not what I'd call a MOTYC, I really loved the match. The brief talk with Shibata was heartwarming.

As for the whole tournament. I get why they had a longer tour for it but it's way too long and it would be much better if the Cup had a much smaller list of participants. Okada, Naito, Goto, Ishii, Tanahashi, ZSJ, SANADA, Suzuki, Ibushi, YOSHI-HASHI, EVIL and Ospreay is really the only names that mattered a little or was a big name in the Cup. The rest were irrelevant.

Relentless Admin

Status

I just got done with the final and didn't enjoy it at all. So slow for about 75% minutes, then the standard finishers and counters. Absolutely no story or meaningful moments in the match. I still need to watch Goto/Sanada, but the semi and final his performance did nothing for me. I don't think he'll ever be a compelling main event act in New Japan, at least not one I'll enjoy.

If I hear RAINMAKER NO................MAINTAINS WRIST CONTROL.........RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAINNNNNNNMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR one more time I'm gonna lose my mind. I think the time has come to revert back to Japanese commentary because Kevin Kelly has regressed badly.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

I liked SANADA in the G1 well enough, but for the most part he's a guy that seems to really put it together for brief stretches, but continues to regress to his mean over & over more often than not. I wonder why NJPW seems to favor him so much over others when the one thing he really has that's top tier (his look) he's purposely ruined with the beard.

I hate all the regular English commentators except for Rocky. I wish they'd give Finlay a seat while he's injured, thought he did quite well during last year's NJC as a guest.

Relentless Admin

Status

I did like him in the G1 too, so he can weave in and out of my tastes. Great point on the beard, someone needs to order him to get rid of it.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Yeah rarely do I listen to the Commentary that's not NJPW, but I picked the right night to switch to the ROH team and I love Rocky even more and might give him the ROH based team more listens going forward. Rocky not wanting to get his ass kicked by Archer, he doesn't have a deathwish, then he's a tough guy when Jado came around he wants to kick his ass for us do it Rocky. Either beat that man or beat down Police on a OZ Academy or Sendai Girls Show please.

All the Multi-Man Tags I thought were solid to great, my favorite with Los Ingobernables de Japon vs Ibushi/Ishii/Taguchi/Narita. Between Taguchi's antics that always get me especially turn coating at a moments notice to save his ass, or even Taguchi directing traffic as he tries to get Ishii to play along he's so great. We'll never forget though when he wants to get down to business the man get it done! We even had Ibushi and Naito teasing us further of the feud to come with them involving the IWGP IC Title, and EVIL/Ishii battling it out was the cherry on top, when Narita wasn't nearly giving us a heart attack with a possible win of a lifetime.

Juice Robinson vs Chase Owens. Man this Match could of been really good, but the countless interference during the Match really bring it down for me. Juice continues to make me think he's the Surfer Sting of this era. Kids, Men, and Women love him and he has that same love from the Crowd as does Juice does. Also he's all energy all the time, just waiting to see when will be his Great American Bash moment come for him down the road blue chipper I feel.

Be still my heart and stop time Shibata came out dressed like a Gangster wished I knew what he said on Commentary especially in the finals of the NJ CUP Finals.

Kazuckika Okada vs SANADA. The slow place will frustrate NJPW at times during the Match, but it was built nicely and it came off strong for the Main Event. It would of been great to see SANADA get the win, and I think the fans wanted it, but Okada vs White was of course was the smartest choice to make going into that MSG Show.

On Vacation

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Yeah rarely do I listen to the Commentary that's not NJPW, but I picked the right night to switch to the ROH team and I love Rocky even more and might give him the ROH based team more listens going forward. Rocky not wanting to get his ass kicked by Archer, he doesn't have a deathwish, then he's a tough guy when Jado came around he wants to kick his ass for us do it Rocky. Either beat that man or beat down Police on a OZ Academy or Sendai Girls Show please.

All the Multi-Man Tags I thought were solid to great, my favorite with Los Ingobernables de Japon vs Ibushi/Ishii/Taguchi/Narita. Between Taguchi's antics that always get me especially turn coating at a moments notice to save his ass, or even Taguchi directing traffic as he tries to get Ishii to play along he's so great. We'll never forget though when he wants to get down to business the man get it done! We even had Ibushi and Naito teasing us further of the feud to come with them involving the IWGP IC Title, and EVIL/Ishii battling it out was the cherry on top, when Narita wasn't nearly giving us a heart attack with a possible win of a lifetime.

Juice Robinson vs Chase Owens. Man this Match could of been really good, but the countless interference during the Match really bring it down for me. Juice continues to make me think he's the Surfer Sting of this era. Kids, Men, and Women love him and he has that same love from the Crowd as does Juice does. Also he's all energy all the time, just waiting to see when will be his Great American Bash moment come for him down the road blue chipper I feel.

Be still my heart and stop time Shibata came out dressed like a Gangster wished I knew what he said on Commentary especially in the finals of the NJ CUP Finals.

Kazuckika Okada vs SANADA. The slow place will frustrate NJPW at times during the Match, but it was built nicely and it came off strong for the Main Event. It would of been great to see SANADA get the win, and I think the fans wanted it, but Okada vs White was of course was the smartest choice to make going into that MSG Show.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information