Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 902

Thread: 2019 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

  1. #1
    Doom's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    10,888
    Rep Power
    965399
      Country                    United States

    2019 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread



    Now that the 2018 season is officially over, with the Patriots being Super Bowl champions by beating the Rams 13-3, today officially starts the 2019 offseason.

    Here a couple of headlines to start the offseason discussion thread.

    The Dolphins named Patriots linebackers coach Brian Flores as head coach.

    The Bengals hired Rams quarterbacks coach Zac Taylor as head coach.

    It's hard to tell which coach will succeed, because I don't know much about these guys except the fact that they are both under 40. They may surprise us like McVay did in his two seasons with the Rams.
    Last edited by Doom; 02-04-2019 at 05:50 PM.


    FANTASY SPORTS CHAMPIONSHIPS
    BASEBALL: 2014 | FOOTBALL: 2016 | BASKETBALL: 2017-18, 2018-19

  2. #2
     
    Sully's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    5,862
    Rep Power
    974848
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

    I was looking at the Dolphins hire of Flores in confusion and digust, being that he only had the DC job for a year and frankly not too many coaches from Belichick's tree have ever come close to replicating his success. Patrica being the most recent example. However after that Super Bowl, I really can't say he didn't earn it. That was a defensive won game, and a chess match to boot. They shut down one of the highest scoring offenses in the league, in the Super Bowl. So I can't say any more that their DC doesn't deserve a try at Head coach. Maybe still a little too soon after just having the job for a year, but I wish him the best of luck.

    I love Zac Taylor hire. Everyone is looking for that next Sean McVay. We'll see if Taylor is it.

  3. #3
    Mid-Card Champion
    Mister Miracle's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Quad Cities
    Posts
    674
    Rep Power
    176843
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

    Now that Flores is officially in Miami, it should just be a matter of days before Greg Schiano gets hired to take his place in NE.


  4. #4
     
    Sully's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    5,862
    Rep Power
    974848
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Miracle View Post
    Now that Flores is officially in Miami, it should just be a matter of days before Greg Schiano gets hired to take his place in NE.
    Greg never actually got a chance as DC in the NFL. He was a head coach, but never actually DC at the higher level. Should be interesting to see what he can do.

  5. #5
    Hail To The King
    OMB's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Buffalo
    Posts
    7,249
    Rep Power
    1110357
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

    Bills hired Ken Dorsey as QB coach


    Spoiler:


    CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges




  6. #6
    Cardcaptor
    Sakura's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Northwoods
    Posts
    7,703
    Rep Power
    699711
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Everyone is looking for that next Sean McVay
    Maybe a bit less after last nights pitiful coaching.

    McVay is good, but also has an incredibly stacked team and McVay (And Goff) have looked pretty bad at times.
    Everything will surely be alright.



  7. #7
     
    Sully's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    5,862
    Rep Power
    974848
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Vayne View Post
    Maybe a bit less after last nights pitiful coaching.

    McVay is good, but also has an incredibly stacked team and McVay (And Goff) have looked pretty bad at times.
    Disagree. He made it to a Super Bowl. There is no reason why McVay should be considered any less after that loss, you of all people should agree.

    He lost to an incredibly talented coach, and lost solely due to a lack of experience. But he still made it to the Super Bowl in his second year as a head coach. There's 30 different teams that didn't make it this far.

    It was the lowest scoring Super Bowl, that takes two sides. It was simply the pace and theme of the game. I don't think McVay left Atlanta with any less respect than he went in with, if anything more.

    His stacked team isn't TOO far off from the team that Jeff Fisher coached a few years ago. Don't forget that. McVay is a big reason why that team has been so talented.

  8. #8
    Cardcaptor
    Sakura's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Northwoods
    Posts
    7,703
    Rep Power
    699711
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Disagree. He made it to a Super Bowl. There is no reason why McVay should be considered any less after that loss, you of all people should agree.

    He lost to an incredibly talented coach, and lost solely due to a lack of experience. But he still made it to the Super Bowl in his second year as a head coach. There's 30 different teams that didn't make it this far.

    It was the lowest scoring Super Bowl, that takes two sides. It was simply the pace and theme of the game. I don't think McVay left Atlanta with any less respect than he went in with, if anything more.

    His stacked team isn't TOO far off from the team that Jeff Fisher coached a few years ago. Don't forget that. McVay is a big reason why that team has been so talented.
    Some pretty bad coaches (and QBs) have made it to SBs.

    And some pretty great ones never have.
    Everything will surely be alright.



  9. #9

    Silk's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hell on Earth
    Posts
    8,631
    Rep Power
    1279105
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

    No shame in getting out-coached by Belichick, there's not a coach in the league that hasn't been (maybe Matt LaFleur? ). McVay just had no answer for the Pats defensive gameplan and his whole offense was definitely less potent down the stretch without a big slot threat like Kupp in there. I'd also be stunned if Gurley was totally healthy the way he was used in the last two games.

    I feel like McVay's gonna be back and this isn't gonna hurt his cred too bad.



    Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

    Never Forget
    Spoiler:


    [footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]



  10. #10
    Cardcaptor
    Sakura's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Northwoods
    Posts
    7,703
    Rep Power
    699711
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

    Not at all.

    I'm not saying there's shame in getting out coached by Belichick, he's the best ever.

    But there's a difference between being out coached and the complete egg laid by LA.

    And it's not like that was the only game that didn't look good. But, a lot of it is also on Goff. Who has had a lot of really bad games.
    Everything will surely be alright.



  11. #11
    Mid-Card Champion
    Mister Miracle's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Quad Cities
    Posts
    674
    Rep Power
    176843
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

    McVay got out coached and he admitted it, while it was true, because he didn't make any changes as the game got going, he also tried to take it all off Goff's shoulders...good or bad, he took the blame. I haven't heard a word from Goff (not that I've looked), but I think the bigger story is Gurley. Both McVay and Gurley said he was healthy, but an MVP candidate was mainly a decoy? When Belichick benched Butler he was crucified, but McVay hasn't been second guessed. I don't get it.


  12. #12
    Cardcaptor
    Sakura's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Northwoods
    Posts
    7,703
    Rep Power
    699711
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

    Gurley wouldn't have made a bigger difference, imo. Pats shut down the run game, and honestly...Just look how good CJ Anderson has been.

    Gurley has been barely used at all except in the second half against Dallas, since December. Yet he says he's healthy. McVay says he's healthy. They all say it's nothing.

    But still, doesn't seem like nothing.

    As for Goff, Goff took the blame. Said he blames himself. It happens. He's young, and it's his first SB. But he did play really bad, and also both he and McVay when going against good coaches have looked pretty bad. But it's a young team, and time will tell.

    Could go great, and be a dynasty. Could fizzle.
    Everything will surely be alright.



  13. #13
    Mid-Card Champion
    Mister Miracle's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Quad Cities
    Posts
    674
    Rep Power
    176843
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Vayne View Post
    Gurley wouldn't have made a bigger difference, imo. Pats shut down the run game, and honestly...Just look how good CJ Anderson has been.

    Gurley has been barely used at all except in the second half against Dallas, since December. Yet he says he's healthy. McVay says he's healthy. They all say it's nothing.

    But still, doesn't seem like nothing.

    As for Goff, Goff took the blame. Said he blames himself. It happens. He's young, and it's his first SB. But he did play really bad, and also both he and McVay when going against good coaches have looked pretty bad. But it's a young team, and time will tell.

    Could go great, and be a dynasty. Could fizzle.
    The Rams run play action more than any other team...without Gurley taking handoffs, that goes away. The defense won't bite.

    As far as good coaches...McDaniels changed the entire offensive scheme on the sideline to keep the Rams base defense on the field. Now that's coaching.

    https://nesn.com/2019/02/josh-mcdani...owl-touchdown/

    The silly season is getting ready to start...first day to Franchise/Transition players is two weeks from today.

    Trey Flowers is gonna get paid, just not by the Patriots.


  14. #14

    Silk's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hell on Earth
    Posts
    8,631
    Rep Power
    1279105
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

    Seems like a decoy play to me, with Gurley. He wasn't 100% and they knew he was gonna split carries but McVay and Gurley talked it up like he was 100% so NE would have to focus on a heavy dose of Gurley in the gameplan. Didn't really work out, of course, but I think it's really the only explanation considering McVay rode Gurley as the main back all season and then suddenly he's splitting carries down the stretch.

    I think the Super Bowl outcome is more on Goff than McVay. New England was ready to stop the Rams from setting up play action and running all over them so it came down to Goff needing to make some throws. He didn't, I don't think he made a single big throw all game, and he had a handful of big shots available. The Rams greatest weakness and greatest success were made very clear in the Super Bowl I think. Goff isn't very good, and he's never been very good, but McVay's talented offensive scheme has given him a great running game to fall back on and easy open throws to safe hands like Kupp and Higbee that sets up throws to Cooks and Woods. McVay has done a great job making things very easy for Goff and making him look competent for two years but Bill took away the safety net on Sunday and Goff turned back into a pumpkin.

    I wouldn't be stunned if we see Goff fall off more and more in the coming years. There's only so much dressing up you can do on a below average QB and the Rams will need to keep fielding an all-pro defense and run game to keep him from sinking this ship, in my opinion.



    Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

    Never Forget
    Spoiler:


    [footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]



  15. #15
    Cardcaptor
    Sakura's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Northwoods
    Posts
    7,703
    Rep Power
    699711
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

    Yeah, I don't care for Goff and never have.

    Honestly, he's just never looked that great. And when he does, he has a fuck ton of weapons around him and a good coach. I'd take Dak and Wentz over him, any day.

    Well, I guess at least you can say Goff stays healthy, and Wentz can't finish a season. But of the three, Goff is the weakest. Dak has a lot of intangibles, and is a great leader and good with his legs. Still a better thrower than Goff, honestly. And Wentz is better in all ways than Goff, except staying healthy. Goff just seems middle of the pack. Kind of a Andy Dalton.
    Everything will surely be alright.



  16. #16
    Forever The Revival
    Matrix's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    831
    Rep Power
    84899

    Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

    I'm gonna disagree with you guys about Goff. I think he's got a lot of potential to be a star QB one day but I think the pressure of the big game and New England forcing him to beat them was too much for him to handle there. I think if he keeps developing with McVay, he could develop into your typical franchise QB. Also I would take Goff over Dak anyday, but not Wentz. Wentz is better than him and I don't think anybody can argue differently.
    [IMG]https://***************/57909_s.gif [/IMG]

  17. #17
    Cardcaptor
    Sakura's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Northwoods
    Posts
    7,703
    Rep Power
    699711
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

    Too many intangibles with Dak and too much of a clutch player to take Goff over him. He leads the league in game winning drives, and has consistently found ways to win and is the leader of that locker room. Goff may have more natural arm talent, but overall I'd take Dak.


    Wentz just can't stay healthy, and I honestly don't see him having a long career. Incredibly talented, though. But I feel like his best has already passed, as he never will look as good as he did in 2017 again.

    As for Goff? Eh. Andy Dalton 2.0
    Everything will surely be alright.



  18. #18
    Forever The Revival
    Matrix's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    831
    Rep Power
    84899

    Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Vayne View Post
    Too many intangibles with Dak and too much of a clutch player to take Goff over him. He leads the league in game winning drives, and has consistently found ways to win and is the leader of that locker room. Goff may have more natural arm talent, but overall I'd take Dak.


    Wentz just can't stay healthy, and I honestly don't see him having a long career. Incredibly talented, though. But I feel like his best has already passed, as he never will look as good as he did in 2017 again.

    As for Goff? Eh. Andy Dalton 2.0
    The arm talent is why I'd take Goff over Dak. But obviously the only thing that'll tell us about Goff's future is time. Who do you like best out of all the young QBs around the league? For me, I'd take Baker Mayfield over anybody. Dude is going to bring Cleveland to the promise land it's only a matter of when, and I think he has all the tools to be one of the best in the league within a couple years if Cleveland continues to build around him.
    [IMG]https://***************/57909_s.gif [/IMG]

  19. #19

    Silk's Avatar

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Hell on Earth
    Posts
    8,631
    Rep Power
    1279105
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

    Of all the young arms in the league I can't argue with the current NFL MVP.



    Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Silk's Degrassi Recaps
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

    Never Forget
    Spoiler:


    [footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]



  20. #20
    Cardcaptor
    Sakura's Avatar

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Northwoods
    Posts
    7,703
    Rep Power
    699711
      Country                    United States

    Re: 2019 NFL Offseason Discussion Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    The arm talent is why I'd take Goff over Dak. But obviously the only thing that'll tell us about Goff's future is time. Who do you like best out of all the young QBs around the league? For me, I'd take Baker Mayfield over anybody. Dude is going to bring Cleveland to the promise land it's only a matter of when, and I think he has all the tools to be one of the best in the league within a couple years if Cleveland continues to build around him.
    Depends by young.

    As for 2018 rookies? I guess Baker, but I really don't care for any of them too too much. Darnold I can see developing into a good gunslinger with the right coaching/weapons. Rosen I don't see getting much better at all. Allen and Lamar I think are both pretty limited.

    If we go back to 2017 and forward, definitely like both Mahomes and Watson quite a bit. If Watson can be a bit more consistent and stay healthy, he can be pretty Russel Wilson esque, I'd say. Mahomes just needs to work on his mechanics a bit (The across the body throws, etc), but he's already improved those a lot since college, and Im sure Reid will help that a lot.
    Everything will surely be alright.



Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •