Thread: Yuji Okabayashi

WAKE UP

Status

Yuji Okabayashi

Can't block the Ok!

One of my personal favourite workers of the last decade. Like his counterpart Sekimoto, occasionaly does some braindead stuff, but is otherwise a super charismatic wrecking ball. Maybe the best guy as working heavyweight slugfests, hits hella hard, tonnes of personality, super energetic and (usually) really good at selling.

Awesome in tags both as house of fire and as your guy in peril eating a beating, and some big singles performances as well over the period. The Suzuki title match was a real revelation as he fit into the slower-paced, more methodical style well and they worked a great match around Ok's arm getting torn up. Go watch the 6-man I just posted from the 2nd of Jan, he is awesome blowing a gasket at the end and almost breaking Nomuya in half.

Not sure where Id' put him against Ishii, Shuji Ishikawa or Sekimoto, but he is comfortably better than the rest of the Japanese heavies these days.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    China

Re: Yuji Okabayashi

That Suzuki match was a ***** match imo & I know I'm not alone in that thought. I can't imagine a better version of power vs. technique style of match.

I think he's comfortably better than Sekimoto despite missing so much time with injury, & as good if not better than basically anyone when healthy. I think the time missed with injury will keep him out of the tip top tier but he'll be up there on my list. He's the most complete big man wrestler in the world in terms of skillset & also has succeeded in a variety of roles. Oka rules.
    As long as you remember me, I will always live within you. Not as a phantom limb or a phantom anything...As part of your heart. I will always be your angel of peace. So I know exactly how to finish...

Say..."Peace".

Follow me on Twitter - @DylanZeroSky

Eastern Lariat - Japanese Wrestling (w/Dylan Fox (me) & Cagematch.net boss STRIGGA)

Check out our Patreon and support me please? 1/3/5 dollar tiers but any one is good! - The Eastern Lariat

MADMIN KING

Status
      Country                    England

Hideki Suzuki in a 5 star match If he made a Suzuki match interesting then that's probably someone list worthy.

I really like Oka and he was a huge miss for me when he was out for the year, wasn't he supposed to work a Global League right when he got hurt? that would of been cool to see him against fresh opponents. Hoping this year is full of great opportunities for him to get him over the line on my list because he really is one of the best heavys in Japan and no question my favourite tag guy.

MADMIN KING

Status
      Country                    England

Just got done watching the recent Strong BJ/Violent Giants match which was great and Yuji was the clear MVP in that one for me, he was fantastic.

WAKE UP

Status

Okabayashi vs Miyahara is almost certainly the best Kento match I've seen since he became a proper main eventer. Ok usually brings it in inter-promotional settings and him sneering at the AJPW crowd while he carried their ace around the ring like a sack of potatoes was pretty amusing. Still need to watch the other matches but have to think him making the Champions Carnival somewhat exciting bumps him up a few places.

WAKE UP

Status

So looking at this period, Okabayashi may be my #1 Japanese worker. I think there's more content there than Ishii and he's way more consistent than most of the other guys. I'd say there's him, Ishii, Sekimoto and then a fair gap between the rest. Not sure he is in the grand scheme but in that silo I don't think anyone has an argument as being solidly better.

Thread Information