Thread: Daisuke Sekimoto

WAKE UP

Status

Daisuke Sekimoto

I thought a thread had already been made but I was mistaken.

He has slowed down a bit as he is nearing 20 years as a pro, but he has also matured in his age and has worked a more "less is more" style. Still a really fun, violent, heavyweight meathead. Mostly good through his Big Japan years, lots of good stuff against usual dance partners there, and some fun stints elsewhere. I just watched his match with Riddle from WM weekend last year and thought it was really good and very different to what he usually does.

Seems like an easy Top 50 pick to me, but how high I am not sure.

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Daisuke Sekimoto

I like Sekimoto sure enough but never watch him on a regular enough basis to know how to rate him for something like this; he hasn't made my top 100 for the last 3 years, but if I watched BJW more closely I'd probably have him on. I might be forgetting something but it feels like the majority of his standout work is the Strong BJ tags and not so much singles work. Losing Yuji for a year meant I was seeking out his stuff less.

So far this year he's been really good. I doubt anyone else is having that good a match with the ever increasing Hama like he did a few weeks ago. He's working Carat this year so it'll be interesting to see who he gets paired with there.

Really annoyed I couldn't find Bate/Sekimoto online last year.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

If this were the first half of the decade he'd be way up, but I think 2015 was his last MVP caliber year & since then with his age & wear he's clearly been surpassed by his contemporaries not just among big guys, but in his own company Oka, Hideki, & Nomura have been both more consistent & higher end than him. That said, he's still very good and a trustworthy name regardless of opponent, look no further than the aforementioned Hama match & he's had two great tag runs with Oka & Hideki, & he's worked a variety of opponents both in Japan & abroad, with honorable work ethic each time out.

I don't think I'll rank him high, but he has merit & my gut says he'll be in.

WAKE UP

Status

was pretty impressed with his performance against Hama from last month. Hama is a pretty limited guy due to obvious reasons, but it was about as good as a singles matches I can recall seeing with him. Considering Sekimoto has spent most of his career building his name as a full steam ahead offensive guy with lots of cool suplexes and moves, it's cool to see him spending most a match working from beneath and selling and actually being good at it after all these years.

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Very good match between Sekimoto and Walter at the Toronto show last weekend.

Thread Information