Thread: Darby Allin

WAKE UP

Status

Darby Allin

If I was to try to describe Darby Allin to someone, it'd probably be a cross of Rey Mysterio and Necro Butcher.

He is an absolute lunatic and glutton for punishment, but his technique, finesse, and skill are spectacular.

The Ethan Page fued is a really impressive feat - getting a series of good matches out of a really crappy guy - and felt like something that would be a top rated fued in peak ECW.

But make no mistake, this guy is no JC Bailey - the title match with Zack last year was pretty great, and he took hardly any bumps on that match.

I've just watched an equally impressive job against the completely useless Austin Theory (EVOLVE 96) and it cemented this guy in my mind as one of the most exciting wrestlers going right now. Every time I watch him, he does something crazy, for better or worse.

In the age of the internet over-exposure it is pretty hard for someone to feel "must see", but Darby Allin is it.

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Darby Allin

As much as I like him I think he's going to have a lot of ground to make up in 2019 to make my list, and I have my suspicions NXT will sign him up and prevent that from happening. I really like the guy, he's my favourite independent wrestler at the moment but it took until January 2018 for me to really 'get him' so I only have 1 year of very good performances as the argument to include him. I did not like those Ethan Page matches at all.

If you haven't seen it Steve, you need to see the Ohno/Darby match from last December.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

I liked him 2017 too but everything else I have to basically agree with Ed on. From '20-'25 though he could be a top contender if he doesn't get himself killed first. Love everything about his style & what he brings to the table. Anyone who can get a great match out of Ethan Page has to at least be worthy of discussion.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

I think he’s in for a giant year this year. If he does, he for sure would be on my list.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Relentless Admin

Status

Holy shit his Evolve 119 and 120 last weekend was phenomenal; Steve I'm going to assume you haven't seen it yet or you'd of bumped this. At 119 he works a terrific match with Fabian Aichner that is so intense, lightning quick and nutty and showcases all the qualities people love about Darby, but it's also a career performance from Aichner who seems to have blossomed suddenly into an excellent heel wrestler. All of a sudden when you think the match is just better version of say Ospreay/Riddle from 2016, it turns into a submission story when Fabian hurts his leg. Darby comes really close to winning, but Fabian catches him with a quick pin with his feet on the ropes. Darby demands they rematch the next evening, so they have another battle at 120 where Fabian attacks Darby during his entrance and I haven't heard an evolve crowd be into a match this much since Zack beat Thatcher for the title 2 years ago. I don't think it's as great as the 119 match, but it's still very very good and Darby even manages to pull off the fall backwards off the top rope bump that Joe Coffey couldn't do twice last month in a big match. Darby is undoubtedly the best bumper in the work and he's right up there for facial selling too because he looks like he's in real pain during his matches. Sadly I think Fabian is already done with Evolve so I don't think there's anymore matches between these two, but this was a weekend that really helped elevated Darby and he'll be winning the Evolve title mania weekend I'm pretty sure.

WAKE UP

Status

Nope, not seen yet, but thanks for the heads up! Will add to the "to watch" list.

WAKE UP

Status

Darby Allin vs Brody King, AAW Take No Prisoners 2018

Awesome match, surely the best match King has had? These guys had a fun match in EVOLVE in Jan last year and this was even better. Allin is such a great 'small man' worker and is able to make a sloth like Brody look like a total killer. Everything he does feels URGENT and FRANTIC. Awesome moment near the end where he tries to go for an armbar, can't get it, then softens Brody up by punching him in the hand over and over. Another really fun Allin carryjob.

Relentless Admin

Status

Well I thought Darby had the best match at Night 1 of SSS16 against Paul Robinson, which is faint praise because Night 1 of tournaments aren't full of quality. Kind of refreshing to see Darby in a match with someone of similar height and build so no-one had the clear size advantage.

WAKE UP

Status

watched

Darby Allin vs Teddy Hart, Limitless Wrestling 'Welcome To The Dance'

I haven't watched Teddy in literally years and he seemed quite comfortable as the veteran here, busting out simple counters to some of Darby's early signature stuff and putting a big beating on him. This was a #VintageAllin performance, eating a tonne of shit, making great comebacks with his spectacular flying and daredevil spots. Teddy still loves his absurd moveset, and there is one spot towards the end that really should have no business in an opening match, but to be fair it was the finish set-up, and Darby makes all of them look absolutely devastating. Very good match.

Darby Allin vs Jon Moxley, NEW 'Brass City Brawl'

This is the fancam version Ed posted. Thought it was pretty fun but needed to be more of a Darby than a Moxley match. Mox was in control for the vast majority of the match, as he should have been, and while he mixed up his offence and didn't slump into restholds or timewasting, it all felt a bit directionless. Really needed a few more Darby comeback attempts to break it up. Moxley starts introducing a table and chairs, unfortunately the fancam version is at an angle you can't see much of the table stuff, but it didn't feel like it was getting violent enough or escalating enough to warrant the props. Final minutes have some truly incredible Darby moments as Ambrose recreates the Page match and handcuffs Darby, and Darby fights back and hits some crazy spots whilest his hands are behind his back. Fun to see these two mix it up but felt they had a better match in them.

Darby was starting to fall off my radar but I'll def have to check out those EVOLVE matches, he's been low-key this year but with AEW he'll remind people he's one of the most spectacular workers going right now.

Relentless Admin

Status

They kinda lost me with the random table spot stuff, because lets be honest everyone does table spots so a backdrop into a table in the corner is nothing to raise an eyebrow at, but the hands tied behind the back was great for the spots that Darby was able to come up with. Cut the table shit and give me a couple more minutes of Moxley beating up on Darby to lead to a hotter comeback and that would of raised the match. Good stuff, but nothing to go out of your way to see.

The matches with Fabian are peak Darby this year. Interesting to see what he can do with Cody who definitely needs a good opponent to work with.

Relentless Admin

Status

I think you'd really enjoy the Brody King match from PWG 200, Steve. Just got done with it and it's great stuff.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

There is nothing that brings a smile to my face than seeing Darby wrestle. The onslaught he is forced to take by Brody King, who is a big contender for most improved of the year, is astonishing. Absolutely crazy bumping, mostly built around a skateboard. Darby's coffin drop of the balcony was something to see. Brody King looked great here as the killer he should be instead of being a big guy who can do athletic moves. His offence was killer. Great match. And I don't really say that too often about matches that happen in PWG.

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Holy shit his Evolve 119 and 120 last weekend was phenomenal; Steve I'm going to assume you haven't seen it yet or you'd of bumped this. At 119 he works a terrific match with Fabian Aichner that is so intense, lightning quick and nutty and showcases all the qualities people love about Darby, but it's also a career performance from Aichner who seems to have blossomed suddenly into an excellent heel wrestler. All of a sudden when you think the match is just better version of say Ospreay/Riddle from 2016, it turns into a submission story when Fabian hurts his leg. Darby comes really close to winning, but Fabian catches him with a quick pin with his feet on the ropes. Darby demands they rematch the next evening, so they have another battle at 120 where Fabian attacks Darby during his entrance and I haven't heard an evolve crowd be into a match this much since Zack beat Thatcher for the title 2 years ago. I don't think it's as great as the 119 match, but it's still very very good and Darby even manages to pull off the fall backwards off the top rope bump that Joe Coffey couldn't do twice last month in a big match. Darby is undoubtedly the best bumper in the work and he's right up there for facial selling too because he looks like he's in real pain during his matches. Sadly I think Fabian is already done with Evolve so I don't think there's anymore matches between these two, but this was a weekend that really helped elevated Darby and he'll be winning the Evolve title mania weekend I'm pretty sure.
    Been watching a lot of random stuff this weekend and checked out both Aichner matches and echo this - awesome stuff. I wouldn't call them carryjobs as Aichner looked good and Ive enjoyed him elsewhere, but Darby was clearly what made these another level. I was beginning to think with EVOLVE becoming a WWE feeder fed and him being at the bottom of the pack his 2019 would look very quiet but these and the Teddy match are enough to keep him in good light. Will have to check out his recent stuff in PWG too.

Relentless Admin

Status

Glad to see you finally watched, still very high on my indie matches of the year list.

I need to see the Teddy match I guess.

Thread Information