Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWE 205 Live Discussion - January 9, 2019

Status
      Country                    United States

205 Live WWE 205 Live Discussion - January 9, 2019

205 Live Preview
    January 9, 2019

Itami demands respect from the Soul of 205 Live

Cedric Alexander knows what it means to be the WWE Cruiserweight Champion. Last year he won the then-vacant title at WrestleMania, defeating his longtime friend and ally Mustafa Ali in the finals of a tournament. Alexander was undefeated for much of 2018, until he lost the coveted title to Buddy Murphy at WWE Super Show-Down. Despite a failed attempt to reclaim the championship at WWE TLC: Tables, Ladders & Chairs, The Soul of WWE 205 Live has another chance to earn a title opportunity tonight.

However, standing in Alexander’s way is a Superstar who has demanded respect from the WWE Universe and his fellow Cruiserweights – Hideo Itami. The hard-hitting Japanese Superstar is laser-focused on claiming his place atop the Cruiserweight division alongside his new ally, Ariya Daivari.

Who will join Buddy Murphy, Akira Tozawa and Kalisto in the Fatal 4-Way Match for The Juggernaut of 205 Live’s WWE Cruiserweight Championship at Royal Rumble? Find out tonight at 7/6 C, streaming on the award-winning WWE Network.

FKA RaiZ-R

Status

Re: WWE 205 Live Discussion - January 9, 2019

Opener is skippable but the Itami/Alexander match is really good. Really felt like a fight between the two, some stiff exchanges and just a satisfying match overall really.

Status

Cedric took a hell of a beating. That title match at the Rumble has the potential to be loads of fun.

Say My Name

Status
      Country                    England

Has there been a bigger name brought in to the WWE that has disappointed like Hideo Itami. I just get nothing from his matches at all. Other than his NXT Title match I can't really think of any match of his I would watch again.
    BTB Achievements
    WWE: The New Vision

Spoiler:

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Order View Post
    Has there been a bigger name brought in to the WWE that has disappointed like Hideo Itami. I just get nothing from his matches at all. Other than his NXT Title match I can't really think of any match of his I would watch again.
    Not even his match vs Roddy or his falls count anywhere with Ali?

You crazy
    Here fishy fishy fishy.......

Say My Name

Status

Haven't seen the one with Ali. I don't really like Strong much either tbh.
    BTB Achievements

Spoiler:

Status

Ehh I'd say the fall from KENTA to Hideo Itami is a pretty drastic one. But he does have the matches indyfan mentioned and a fun one vs. Aleister as well.

Idk, I guess there's always hope for a renaissance.

People's Champion

Status

Get on those asap.

Roddy is best in ring guy in WWE imo

Say My Name

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    Get on those asap.

Roddy is best in ring guy in WWE imo
    Couldn't disagree more, don't know if he'd be in my top 30 honestly
    BTB Achievements

Spoiler:

The Planet's Admin

Status

Has there been a bigger name brought in to the WWE that has disappointed like Hideo Itami

Shinsuke Nakamura.

I really dug his match this week, and I think in the last 6 months or so he's been one of the best guys on the show. I feel like a go to complaint about Itami is 'well he's not KENTA anymore', well yeah not many people wrestle in their late 30s as great as they used to wrestle in their late 20s. As cool as it would be to see him in NOAH again, I'm not sure his body is up to that level of performance anymore, that one arm seems to be always taped up. I think the light schedule of 205 Live where he just has to go out for 20 minutes every 3 weeks really works for him.

Roddy one of the best in WWE for sure.

Status

Couldn't disagree more, don't know if he'd be in my top 30 honestly
    Roddy not top 30?

Shit damn.

Say My Name

Status

It is just personal preference. I get why people really like him and rate him, I can't even tell you why but I'm just not drawn to him for whatever reason
    BTB Achievements

Spoiler:

Status

That's fair. We all have those guys that are loved that we can't relate to for whatever reason. But I am genuinely surprised anyone would say he isn't top 30!

Friendship King

Status
      Country                    Australia

Itami's had some pretty bangin' matches for a guy in his thirties and having been on the injury list for like half of his WWE career, just... not a lot from you'd expect from someone who was once KENTA. The Itami/Black match, one of the only good WWE Bobby Roode matches, the fighting sprint against Oney Lorcan, the oft-forgotten Itami/Breeze matches, all from NXT. Meanwhile on 205 Live there's Itami/Strong, Itami/Ali Falls Count Anywhere, Itami/Alexander, Itami & Tozawa vs LHP. Some good contenders, while Itami hasn't quite reached the hype he once had he's still miles better than Shinsuke Nakamura who has been coasting on hype and NJPW-reputation for ages.

And while we're namedropping Strong Rod, I think I've made my feelings on Roderick Strong perfectly clear multiple times. Fantastic wrestler, not going to argue that, but everything else about him is a turn-off. I mean this in the nicest of ways, but he has dry promos, negative charisma, a stupid name, a bland look, and I'll never get over how his story made the third Dusty Classic a complete and utter waste of time (and how I'm seemingly the only one on this forum who had a problem with it (better go post it in the Unpopular Opinion thread)). Again, spectacular athlete, tremendous wrestler, absolutely worth a look for anyone's current-day WWE top 30 based on in-ring skills alone. But out of the ring, there's nothing that draws me to him, no personality or gimmick or character that makes me want to see what he'll do next. He's just not interesting until the bell rings and he's suddenly throwing backbreakers like he has a vendetta against spines and all they stand for.

CWA: A Decade of Decadence
    Maybe the end of something great.
    Maybe the start of something new.
    Stay tuned.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Roderick Strong has always been a tough one for fans. Great wrestler when he goes in the ring and does what he does best. He is basically Dean Malenko in that sense. Great wrestler with great chemistry with everyone and can put on an absolute clinic on his best day and a really good match on his worst. Love watching him wrestle and I could do it all day but Strong really doesn't have much else to him outside of that. Like Wolf said, promos are meh and he doesn't have a lot of personality and if you prefer seeing that over pure wrestling, I can easily see why you wouldn't be into him.
    Spoiler:

Milano Forever!
    NJPW Threads
    General Discussion - NJPW The New Beginnings Tour 2019 - Beginners Guide To New Japan - NJPW Year-To-Year MOTY's

"You're not fighting the odds, Eddie. You're fighting me"

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth Jazz Wolf View Post
    Itami's had some pretty bangin' matches for a guy in his thirties and having been on the injury list for like half of his WWE career, just... not a lot from you'd expect from someone who was once KENTA. The Itami/Black match, one of the only good WWE Bobby Roode matches, the fighting sprint against Oney Lorcan, the oft-forgotten Itami/Breeze matches, all from NXT. Meanwhile on 205 Live there's Itami/Strong, Itami/Ali Falls Count Anywhere, Itami/Alexander, Itami & Tozawa vs LHP. Some good contenders, while Itami hasn't quite reached the hype he once had he's still miles better than Shinsuke Nakamura who has been coasting on hype and NJPW-reputation for ages.

And while we're namedropping Strong Rod, I think I've made my feelings on Roderick Strong perfectly clear multiple times. Fantastic wrestler, not going to argue that, but everything else about him is a turn-off. I mean this in the nicest of ways, but he has dry promos, negative charisma, a stupid name, a bland look, and I'll never get over how his story made the third Dusty Classic a complete and utter waste of time (and how I'm seemingly the only one on this forum who had a problem with it (better go post it in the Unpopular Opinion thread)). Again, spectacular athlete, tremendous wrestler, absolutely worth a look for anyone's current-day WWE top 30 based on in-ring skills alone. But out of the ring, there's nothing that draws me to him, no personality or gimmick or character that makes me want to see what he'll do next. He's just not interesting until the bell rings and he's suddenly throwing backbreakers like he has a vendetta against spines and all they stand for.
    His name rules imo. Way better than Dash Wilder or Buddy Murphy.

I often wonder if its just me who enjoys wrestlers for just in ring skill? I dont need a cosmic connection with a wrestler to enjoy a guys work. I want to see Strong Destroy people...thats what i like about him.

Also rumours 205 live is going back to Tuesday after Smackdown. Not a good move
    Last edited by indyfan; 01-12-2019 at 11:11 AM.

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    I often wonder if its just me who enjoys wrestlers for just in ring skill? I dont need a cosmic connection with a wrestler to enjoy a guys work. I want to see Strong Destroy people...thats what i like about him.
    Nowt wrong with that at all. I like different guys for different things, was a big fan of the Rock's personality growing up but also loved Benoit and Mysterio as wrestlers more than anything. Even today, I'm confident in saying I'm a big fan of ZSJ based on ring work more than any other factor.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Hail To The King

Status

Sanity, Joe, Almas, Asuka ( for a while)

And

Bobby Roode

Spoiler:

CWA World Heavyweight Champion
    Brayden Bridges

Status

Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Sanity, Joe, Almas, Asuka ( for a while)

And

Bobby Roode
    None of them other than Joe were as good pre-WWE than KENTA was though. And probably all of them have fared better than Itami has so far. I guess this is a situation though that maybe you had higher hopes for them than you did Itami which is fair, but if we're being honest, Itami was one of the best in the world at one point, and has yet to make any real splash in the WWE, aside from a handful of good matches over the course of several years.

[Knockin' on Heaven's Door]

Status

Let's not forget the poor guy has had two major injuries during his WWE run. Not only has he missed at least a year and a half ring time (if not more), but we don't know how that's effected him physically long term.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Thread Information