Thread: WWE Unforgiven 2006 Review

Unforgiven WWE Unforgiven 2006 Review

Unforgiven
    September 17, 2006

Over on the dark match prior to the show, Super Crazy defeated Shelton Benjamin. Since it’s just a dark match, it doesn’t really matter, but it does highlight something that was important - the depush of Benjamin. Despite being an IC Champion earlier in the year, the depush has started and started hard enough that not only is Benjamin not being booked on PPV, but he’s starting to work a lot more matches on HEAT rather than being on Raw every week. By the end of 2006, Benjamin’s singles run would officially be killed off as he and Charlie Haas are put back together, which oddly didn’t help much. Things sorta get better when he’s sent to WWECW and becomes The Gold Standard in late 2007, but I wouldn’t say Benjamin ever became important to the WWE again prior to his release in 2010. And it all began right about this point in time.

Johnny Nitro © w/Melina vs Jeff Hardy - WWE IC Title
    Hardy earned this title shot by defeated Randy Orton on an episode of Raw. More on that one later. Since then, Hardy has already beat Nitro via DQ. According to Jim Ross, Hardy had a mysterious, previous undiscussed three year absence from the WWE. I guess that’s one way to acknowledge his first TNA run. The most noteworthy thing about this match for me was that it wasn’t the match where Hardy won the IC Title. I went into this assuming that it was since I knew Hardy would be winning around this time period, so the fact that Nitro ended up going over after Melina clocked Hardy with her shoe for the unfair pinfall was quite a surprise. Given seventeen minutes to create a story, they did the bare minimal with Nitro spending a good portion of the match working over the leg of Hardy without Hardy really selling it at any point. I didn’t notice any obvious botches though, so it’s technically fine. It just wasn’t all that interesting. It’s never bad though and it does feel slightly more important than other IC Title matches since Randy Orton held the title. The fact that Nitro cheated his way to victory, only to lose the belt on a random episode of Raw a few weeks later doesn’t sit well with me though. If you’re paying the $35 (I think that was the price at the time) to grab this show, then it should deliver as opposed to giving you a lame finish that adds heat to the proper big moment that is shown on free TV. ** ½

Kane vs Umaga w/Armando Estrada
    I feel like these two wrestled quite a bit before Kane jumped to Smackdown in an important step in further pushing Umaga up the card. For some odd reason, Jim Ross is trying to claim that this is Umaga’s PPV debut despite already beating Ric Flair at Backlash and Eugene at Vengeance. I know JR was shit at remembering facts, but this is particularly terrible for him. Much like their rematch at Cyber Sunday 2006, this ended up being better than I expected. Kane would provide just enough offense to keep this from becoming a squash as he just seemed to keep coming back and avoiding some of Umaga’s biggest moves. There’s a pretty questionable commentary moment as Umaga delivered a Samoan Wrecking Ball in the corner, allowing for Jerry Lawler to claim that Estrada refers to that as the “ATM”. Now...maybe Lawler is just referring to the fact that if Umaga hits that move, a victory isn’t that far away, which means more money. However, considering Umaga’s ass is rammed into the face of his opponent, this has to be Lawler sneaking in an “Ass-to-mouth” reference, right? Both men seemed driven to try and deliver some quality with Umaga even busting out a Shining Wizard to my amazement. Despite this hard work, the finish was booked to just have both men fight into the crowd resulting in both of them being counted out for this weak ass(to-mouth) finish instead. Shame, they had something sorta fun going on before that trash finish. Segments of this Toronto crowd was digging Umaga. ** ½

Mikey and Kenny © w/The Spirit Squad vs The Highlanders - World Tag Titles
    Jesus. Has the Raw Tag Titles really fallen this far? Granted, The Highlanders are still a new act on Raw, but this is the sort of match you’d expect to see on a HEAT before a PPV, not a PPV Title match. I suppose Londrick vs The Teacher’s Pets from No Mercy 2006 wasn’t much better in terms of star power though. The Highlanders earned this title shot by defeating Charlie Haas/Viscera and The Redneck Wrecking Crew on an episode of Raw. Even though this match held zero interest on paper, it ended up being enjoyable for what it was. You can really see why The Highlanders were compared to The Bushwhackers when they were in the WWE because they’re both very unorthodox teams, at times wacky, but there’s also a suspicion that they could be loads better if they had a mean streak. Poor Robbie would play the face-in-peril for a good segment of the match where The Spirit Squad dusted off some old favorites from Jimmy Hart’s stable, including a Kenny Shake, Rattle, and Roll, and The Hart Foundation Hart Attack. This is where the commentary once again drops the ball as its mentioned that Toronto’s Air Canada Centre, knows all about the Hart Attack, alluding to the fact that it has seen The Hart Foundation in many matches. In reality, this building didn’t even open until 1999 with the WWE only starting to run events there in late 2000. I get it, it’s a very small thing to be annoyed with and it’s pure nitpicking, but is it too much to expect commentators in the biggest wrestling company in the world to give accurate statements? Anyways, The Highlanders would eventually get the hot tag after Rory pulled Robbie out of the way of Nicky’s badass top rope leg drop with the Canadian crown actually reacting big when there’s a nearfall following a Scot Drop (Double slingshot reverse suplex) on Mikey. That’s broken up by Kenny and once the referee is distracted, Johnny jumps onto the ring apron to deliver a Johnny-Go-Round to the back of the head of Rory to allow him to be covered for the unfair pinfall. While the match did overdeliver, the match couldn’t escape the fact that it still feels like it’s an example of Raw during a weak tag division period. Smackdown may have not been any stronger in their tag division, at least in terms of star power, but they at least delivered really strong title defenses on PPV. ** ½

DX vs The Big Show and The McMahons - Hell in a Cell
    It’s time to finally wrap up this HBK/DX vs McMahons feud that began way back in December 2005. Although Michaels can be hit or miss due to how overrated he is, the WWE still took one of Raw’s best workers and wasted him away (At least for workrate performances) by having him spend so many months wrestling just the McMahons or The Spirit Squad on PPV/SNME. That’s what? Seven supershows where Michaels was put in a position where his match wasn’t capable of being a standout? This is why you book McMahon matches sparingly. Even though this is another disappointing DX/McMahons match, there are a few things that I do actually love. Thanks to the fact that we’re now a solid decade into the PG era and blood in the WWE isn’t really a thing, watching a HIAC where four out of the five (Everyone except for the ECW Champion, The Big Show) bleeds is a nice way to make this HIAC feel barbaric. Even with Show not bleeding, he still gets plenty of blood on him thanks to the others, resulting in a hellacious war-like atmosphere. I especially loved Shane catapulting Triple H into the cage, resulting in some Hunter blood droplets flying out of the cell, landing on the camera’s lens, giving the viewers an up close view of the bloodshed. There’s also the appreciation of what happens to the McMahons. Since they’re not regular wrestlers, once this program is wrapped up, it’s anyone’s guess when the McMahons will be on TV again, so this match takes advantage of that with Shane getting his neck Pillmanized, resulting in him spitting up blood, and Vince having a sledgehammer broke across his back. Once DX picked up the victory by pinning Vince, both McMahons were stretchered out of ringside. That’s perfect. What’s not perfect is that the match dragged some. Even though it’s a reasonable twenty-five minutes, it feels like it’s a lot longer and by the end it seemed as if they could have told this same story with ten minutes shaved off of it. While at times it was this serious, barbaric match, by the end it became more of a comedy match with Vince attempting to add a new member of the Kiss My Ass club, Show having some goofy facial expressions to accidentally splashing Vinnie Mac, and the end revolving around Vince having his head shoved into Show’s ass. While these sort of hijinx are expected in a DX match, this is Hell in a Cell. It’s time to be serious. Rather than feel like some epic feud conclusion, a feud that had been going on longer than any other currently running one, the greater feeling was relief that this was finally over. Not good, but I wouldn’t go as far as to say that it was good. It’s the sort of match where if you just saw a highlight video of it, it would have been just as good as actually seeing the match. **

Lita © vs Trish Stratus - WWE Women’s Title
    Trish’s big retirement match taken place in her own hometown of Toronto. Jim Ross claims that Trish is tied with The Fabulous Moolah with the most WWE Women’s Title reigns at 6 a piece. I don’t know how Ross got that number since Wiki has Moolah at 8 reigns if you count all of the times she lost the title in the 60s and 70s that the WWE doesn’t acknowledge or 4 reigns if you go along with the WWE history that Moolah held the title for 28 years. If you go on WWE.com’s history of the Women’s Title, they only list Moolah as a 4 time champion too. So which of the four pre-1984 title wins are the WWE counting? The biggest negative of this match was Trish’s ring gear. With how low rise her pants were, she spent the entire match showing off her ass crack. Admittedly, it’s a far more pleasant sight than if someone like The Big Show did the same, but this is supposed to be a major match that feels special, but so many moments of the match is hindered by the fact that Trish’s ass is hanging out. The biggest positive though is the atmosphere. The combination of this being Trish’s last match and it being in her hometown was enough to cause the fans to treat this as the biggest women’s match possible. The reaction at the very end when Trish locked in the Sharpshooter caused the crowd to erupt to further make this feel important. Is the actual match good though? Eh. It’s given a reasonable amount of time with eleven minutes, which may not sound very long, but I’m 99% sure that it’s the second longest WWE women’s match in PPV history, behind only Team Moolah vs Team Sherri at Survivor Series 1987. So it’s a big deal that they were given a normal match length when, at the time, women on PPV were used to just getting ~5 minute matches. Even though she managed not to be a botch machine, Lita isn’t the worker to put in such a match though. She’s not going to offer anything of value to this extra time, unlike if someone like Mickie James was given the opportunity. It’s a hard fought back-and-forth match. Was I into it at any point? Nah, but the crowd kept this interesting and prevented it from being a normal piss break segment. In the end, Trish managed to lock in the Sharpshooter and force Lita to submit to become the NEW WWE Women’s Champion in her final match. Normally, it’d be a problem to give someone not only a victory, but a title victory in their final match, but it’s Trish Stratus and it’s the women’s division. She may be vastly overrated by many, but she was treated as a really big deal. Since the women’s division isn’t treated as a big deal, at the time, does it hurt the division to give Trish this big send off? No. The quality may have not been there, but if you can’t have Trish vs Mickie, this is the best thing you could do in terms of importance for the women’s division in 2006. So long, Trish. You were...not always trash. ** ¼

Carlito vs Randy Orton
    Despite never being more than a midcarder in the WWE, Carlito’s time at Unforgiven was sorta a major annual PPV for him. Between 2005-2007, he faced three former members of Evolution - Ric Flair, Orton, and Triple H. Sadly, he didn’t complete the series with a match against Batista at Unforgiven 2008. This short month long program was essentially it for Carlito’s 2006 push. It started the night after Summerslam when Carlito poked fun at Orton for losing to Hulk Hogan the night before. That started the two going back and forth with Carlito costing Orton a #1 contender’s match to the IC Title against Jeff Hardy and Orton delivering a RKO to Carlito’s short lived girlfriend, Trish Stratus. Back in 2006, I really loved babyface Carlito. Undoubtedly, it’s because he completely altered his moveset with the face turn and began flying around more. However, looking back, I can see why officials were unimpressed as Carlito was mostly just doing mindless spots and sloppily as well. In fact, it was during a Lionsault that his elbow came crashing down into Orton’s face, causing Orton to get his mouth busted open. The match had a lot of very clear talking throughout with both Carlito talking with Orton and then Carlito checking in with the referee. It was back and forth with Carlito spamming out his high flying spots while Orton was always trying to ground him to slow down the pace. Even though the match was mostly unremarkable, the finish was pretty fantastic as Carlito attempted his wacky double jump dive only to be caught in mid air with the RKO to give Orton the victory. With the win, Orton would move on to forming Rated RKO with Edge and Carlito would start to find himself be directionless until eventually hooking up with Ric Flair. ** ½

Edge © vs John Cena - TLC Match - WWE World Title
    It’s time to wrap up another big time 2006 program in Edge/Cena. This one had been going on since January when Edge cashed in his MITB contract to beat Cena for the WWE Title at New Year’s Revolution. Cena would regain the title at Royal Rumble. Some months later, Edge interfered and cost Cena the title against RVD at One Night Stand. Then at Summerslam, Edge successfully defended the title against Cena in Cena’s backyard of Boston. Now it’s time to finish the program in Edge’s backyard of Toronto. Since we are in Canada, this allows the commentators the excuse of claiming this is why the fans are in such major support of Edge as this is still the time period where the WWE was reluctant in flat out admitting that many of their fans hated Cena. Much like the HIAC match, this was a mixed bag, but clearly better. There were plenty of big spots with Edge standing out the most. I personally most enjoyed seeing what Edge was doing outside of the ring, both with Edge running up the ladder to dive onto Cena on the floor below and later jumping off of the wall barrier to crash the ladder against Cena’s face. The spots aren’t all good though with Edge botching the hell out of an attempted sunset flip power bomb through a table where Cena got zero distance away from the turnbuckle, creating a normal sunset flip that fell so far away from even being close to the table. They did manage to salvage the spot some with Edge simply slamming Cena through the table with the commentators loving Edge so much that they didn’t give him any shit for the botch. Tables in general seemed to be the true heel of the match for me though. Late in the match, the pair started to do the near finishes, but there was one double decker table in the ring and another set-up outside of the ring, so you immediately know that the match is impossible to end before those tables are destroyed. After the table outside of the ring is destroyed when Lita runs out, hits Cena with a chair, but accidentally causes Cena to fall into the ladder, causing it to tumble over with Edge on top, sending Edge flying through the table, there’s a pretty idiotic moment when Cena gets some revenge on Lita by giving her a FU. That’s fine in theory, but the force of the FU caused the top table on the double decker to topple over. Despite Edge being on the outside, seemingly out of the match, Cena has to look like a fool wasting time fixing the table situation because he knows how the match is supposed to end. This is what I truly hate about modern WWE ladder matches in that they never feel organic. There’s a plan for the match going into the bout and whether it makes sense logically or not, everything is going to happen as it was laid out. On one hand, this match really succeeded in terms of feeling like a huge match. It’s easily one of the biggest WWE matches of 2006. They wrapped up this major program in a big match, which is what you’d imagine that they would do. However, the match also suffers from modern ladder match struggles of everything feeling so...forced. The first time I watched this, I somewhat hated it and pleaded to the WWE to never put Cena in a ladder match again because he is clearly lost in them. That’s pretty harsh though. Who wouldn’t look lost when working a convoluted match for the first time? Still, it felt like a big deal Cena winning after FU’ing Edge off of a ladder and through the double decker table to allow Cena to pull down the WWE Title not only become the NEW WWE World Champion, but to also kick off a rather huge title reign. ** ¾

Overall
    When it comes to the brand PPVs of 2006, you’re not going to get a bigger one than Unforgiven. Sure, New Year’s Revolution may get more talk due to the shocking cash-in/title win of Edge and December 2 Dismember for being infamously bad, but the Raw PPV of Unforgiven was sorta huge. It saw two of 2006’s biggest feuds, Edge/Cena and DX/McMahons come to an end. Both feuds dominated WWE TV in 2006 to the point where I’m unsure if Smackdown had anything bigger all year long. Admittedly, do I think that either match was great? Absolutely not, especially in the case of the HIAC. However, it doesn’t take away from the fact that these matches were big and important. For me, personally, I don’t feel as if anything is a must watch. I feel as if SD’s offering of No Mercy the following month was a huge upgrade, despite being a throwaway PPV. On the plus side, nothing on this PPV is worth avoiding. So if you were to randomly watch it on the WWE Network, it’s an easy watch, even if the quality is never there.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Re: WWE Unforgiven 2006 Review

I really like this show. A show with a hot crowd all the way through is always easy to get through, and this is one of the best WWE PPV crowds ever. For two of the matches (Trish vs Lita and Edge vs Cena) it feels like a modern version of Canadian Stampede. The workrate isn't always there here. I hate the main event and think Cena is awful in it but it's still a fun match thanks to the crowd and the spots. The Hell in a Cell is such a bizarre match because tonally it has no idea if it wanted to be a comedy match or a violent blood feud ender. Still, I always get a kick out of those late 2006 Big Show PPV matches where he was in such bad shape that they found a way of having him sit out almost all the match. Similar thing happened at Cyber Sunday and Survivor Series.

I like Trish vs Lita a lot more than you. Certainly didn't allow Trish's butt crack to distract me! I think there's an argument that Trish has the best farewell in WWE history. Think it would be between that and Flair.

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

The Flow

Status
      Country                    Canada

I absolutely love this show but I'm biased as it was on my 16th birthday and parents, who hated wrestling, actually bought this on PPV for me. I think I actually still have the video tape for this laying around somewhere.

The only time WWE came close to a good story line post Attitude Era was Undertaker/Mordecai - Dakstang

I’m Not Booked!

Status

I like this show. It's not always fantastic quality, but it's fun, relatively logical, and somewhat important. I'll take that over some technically "better" shows that I find kinda dull.

There's something about the opener that just feels right to me. Again, not brilliant quality, but guys like Jeff and Nitro competing over the IC belt just seems right. It almost has a low-key HHH/Rock mid-98 vibe, of two young guys seemed destined for better things getting themselves over for the secondary belt.

You seem to like Umaga and Kane a lot more than me. Maybe it's the bad taste from the finish, but for me it's the weakest on the show.

The tag match is surprisingly good given who is in it, but it's a match that should never, ever happen on PPV. Both this and Orton/Carlito are technically fine, but even 12 years on feel like total filler thanks to a lack of ideas for anything better.

"They could have told the same story with ten minutes shaves off" is how I feel about most Triple H matches after his first quad injury. I find it really hard to have an opinion on this match, as it's clearly a big deal, isn't un-entertaining, and definitively finishes the feud for good. That said, the feud itself sucked, and the match suffered from the same problem every DX segment has in that they want to be the coolest, strongest, most dominant main eventers in the company, while also acting like comedy midcarders. So you get a match that's half brutal, half stupid. I know you say it wasted Shawn to be involved in all of this, but to mis-quote Dwight Shrute, I think they all deserve better.

I'm much higher on Lita and Trish than you. From a technical standpoint it's nothing to write home about, but it's still a fun send off, and the pop for the Sharpshooter and the win is something I can regularly go back and watch. I'd take an emotional, well-deserved send off over a technically competent but heatless match any day of the week.

I also liked the main event a lot more than you. It's by no means perfect, but as the high-spot payoff of a several month long feud it does what it needs to, and at the time it was nice seeing two relatively new names on the top of the card giving it their all in such a high profile story as well. Both would have better matches with other people, but this is still a good, fun match imo.

Great review as always though, Jim, always pleased to see a new one posted.

Curtain Jerker

Status

I remember I'd stopped ordering PPV's after ECW ONS 2 and rented this from the video store a few months after it happened because the card looked decent. A pretty nothing PPV except for the main-event. This was in Canada and Edge got such a rousing ovation it nearly brings him to tears before he slaps himself in the face to get back into character. The match overall was really good except for a badly blown rolling powerbomb through a table spot that they quickly recovered from. One of Cena's better matches from this era, but as usual that's thanks in large part to his dance partner on the night.

2006 was a horrible year for the WWE. TNA was where it was at. I honestly enjoyed WWF in 1995 more than 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    I think there's an argument that Trish has the best farewell in WWE history. Think it would be between that and Flair.
    It's really difficult to beat Trish's, especially just in the context of a final match, not a final moment. Look at all she had going for hers:

- It's announced as her final match
    - It's a championship match
    - It's against her biggest rival
    - She win's the match/title cleanly
    - It was held in her hometown/country
    - The 2nd longest women's WWE PPV match at that point (And I presume remained that for some time)

Other than the match being in the main event and taking place at a bigger PPV, how is anyone supposed to compare to all that?

Quote Originally Posted by Keefmoon View Post
    There's something about the opener that just feels right to me. Again, not brilliant quality, but guys like Jeff and Nitro competing over the IC belt just seems right. It almost has a low-key HHH/Rock mid-98 vibe, of two young guys seemed destined for better things getting themselves over for the secondary belt.
    Eh, it's solid. I'd buy into the Triple H/Rock vibes more had Morrison ended up as a proper main eventer for the WWE.

"They could have told the same story with ten minutes shaves off" is how I feel about most Triple H matches after his first quad injury.
    Triple H is one of the biggest culprits for those who often work longer matches than they should be working.

I'm much higher on Lita and Trish than you. From a technical standpoint it's nothing to write home about, but it's still a fun send off, and the pop for the Sharpshooter and the win is something I can regularly go back and watch. I'd take an emotional, well-deserved send off over a technically competent but heatless match any day of the week.
    It's fine. That's about as much as I can say about the actual work in the match. Lita wasn't her usual embarrassment. Especially these days, just fine women matches hold zero appeal to me.

Character Jobber

Status
      Country                    United States

The only matches from this PPV I've seen are Hell in a Cell and TLC. I might have given the Hell in a Cell a slightly higher rating, as it was fairly entertaining but far from the best HIAC match of either Michaels' or HHH's careers. I really liked the TLC Match, Edge is one of my all time faves and my pick for wrestler of the year in 2006. Interesting that both men lost in their hometowns in this feud (Cena lost in Boston at Summerslam). Was that the only time WWE did a TLC and Hell in a Cell in the same night? I can't recall another.
    First Ever Undisputed World Champion:
    George Hackenschmidt

Quote Originally Posted by BattleKat View Post
    Was that the only time WWE did a TLC and Hell in a Cell in the same night? I can't recall another.
    I'm about 99% positive that it's the only one. The closest would be Raw Roulette 2002 that had a TLC match and a cage match the same night or WM 32 with a HIAC and a multiple man ladder match. Between TLC being created in mid 2000 and both matches getting their own PPVs, which meant it became rare to see a TLC or a HIAC on another show, there's not many opportunities for the two matches to be held on the same PPV. Not to mention, they're both huge gimmick matches so there is a question of if it's necessary to book both matches on one show since you can only add so many extra buys on a show with a gimmick match before you're not gaining more. The buyrate did decent enough. It didn't bring in as many buys as the previous Raw PPV (Vengeance 2006), which had to be disappointing, but considering what a mess Smackdown PPV buyrates were, it was still a positive.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Hard to compare to Vengeance 2006 since that popped a big buyrate due to the DX reunion and still having the buzz of the new ECW. It had the 4th best buyrate of the year behind Summerslam, WM and the Royal Rumble.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

Shock Reviews Archive

Curtain Jerker

Status

Hard to compare to Vengeance 2006 since that popped a big buyrate due to the DX reunion and still having the buzz of the new ECW. It had the 4th best buyrate of the year behind Summerslam, WM and the Royal Rumble.

Vengeance 2006 was a much better event. I haven't seen it in close to 10 years, but I can still clearly remember that super fun triple threat match for the IC title with Nitro, Benjamin and Carlito. The Cena vs Sabu match was very enjoyable, Orton and Angle had a pretty solid opener and RVD vs Edge was a surprisingly good match with some really creative spots (I fucking loved that spot where RVD attempts the rolling thunder but Edge pops up and powerslams him). I don't remember that match getting much praise at the time and in the years since I can't remember anyone ever talking about this match. I guess the match didn't have a lot of significance and was just a stop in the road between ONS and Summer Slam.

I hated the product at this time, but my mate wanted to keep watching so I let him pay for this one and we both really enjoyed it. Even the DX vs Spirit Squad match was fairly enjoyable. Unfortunately we'd see some variation of Michaels and HHH vs Spirit Squad members every week on RAW for the next 3-4 months straight. How can fans take a group of male cheerleaders seriously in the main-event? and a bunch of call-ups from OVW that none of the fans were familiar with at that.

It's a tie between this show and ONS 2 as the best WWE PPV's of the year after WM22. Summer Slam that year absolutely sucked. It was probably even worse than Summer Slam 2004. Funny that in-between those Summer Slam's is probably the best Summer Slam of all time.

Even though I don't think the return of DX booked against random heels should be a bigger draw than two of the WWE's biggest gimmick matches, we can also compare Unforgiven's buyrate to the previous Raw gimmick PPV of New Year's Revolution. NYR brought in more buys despite only having the one gimmick match. It is worth mentioning that the cost of PPVs increased from $34.99 to $39.99 between these two shows, but I don't think that would be a reasonable excuse to blame for the less buys for Unforgiven when Vengeance also had the new price of $39.99.

Although realizing that the price change happened in 2006, it does make me wonder if awful buyrates like No Mercy and December to Dismember would have been helped had they not been so expensive to buy.

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Even though I don't think the return of DX booked against random heels should be a bigger draw than two of the WWE's biggest gimmick matches, we can also compare Unforgiven's buyrate to the previous Raw gimmick PPV of New Year's Revolution. NYR brought in more buys despite only having the one gimmick match. It is worth mentioning that the cost of PPVs increased from $34.99 to $39.99 between these two shows, but I don't think that would be a reasonable excuse to blame for the less buys for Unforgiven when Vengeance also had the new price of $39.99.

Although realizing that the price change happened in 2006, it does make me wonder if awful buyrates like No Mercy and December to Dismember would have been helped had they not been so expensive to buy.
    I think December to Dismember was always going to tank. ECW as a brand was already dead and only two matches were announced. Plus WWE had so many shows going on at this time. Between September and January there was Unforgiven, Cyber Sunday, Survivor Series, No Mercy, December to Dismember, Armageddon, New Year's Revolution and the Royal Rumble. If you're going to drop any from your planned purchases, you'd pick D2D, then one of the Smackdown ones.

Maybe we're spoiled because of the value of the network but it's amazing that WWE were able to get as many buys as they did for $40 and pretty mediocre shows/cards.

Shock Reviews Archive

I think December to Dismember was always going to tank. ECW as a brand was already dead and only two matches were announced. Plus WWE had so many shows going on at this time. Between September and January there was Unforgiven, Cyber Sunday, Survivor Series, No Mercy, December to Dismember, Armageddon, New Year's Revolution and the Royal Rumble. If you're going to drop any from your planned purchases, you'd pick D2D, then one of the Smackdown ones.

Maybe we're spoiled because of the value of the network but it's amazing that WWE were able to get as many buys as they did for $40 and pretty mediocre shows/cards.
    With how poor of a job WWE had done with its ECW brand, it's no surprise that the December 2 Dismember PPV was going to be a disappointment. Coupled with the fact that they didn't even bother announcing any of the other matches besides the opener and main event and you had the recipe for disaster. However, I'd say it was a bigger failure than anyone could have predicted. No Mercy 2006 may have been a disappointment, but it still brought in over twice as many buys as did D2D. To find a PPV that did worse, you'd have to go all the way forward to 2014 with the launch of the WWE Network, and even then, the big four were still scoring bigger buyrates in 2014-2015. However, had they lowered the price of the PPV, I wonder if they couldn't have brought in additional buys. If D2D could score as many buys as No Mercy, but at a price of a mere $24.99, the WWE could have made a little under a million dollars more.

Idk, it's a lot of what ifs, but looking back, that PPV price increase seemed to come at a terrible time.

God of Destruction

Status
      Country                    Slovak Republic

If you look at the rest of D2D card then it was better not to announce those matches and keep people guessing
    "You only need to hang mean bastards, but mean bastards you need to hang."

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfs Rain View Post
    If you look at the rest of D2D card then it was better not to announce those matches and keep people guessing
    Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the other matches were just decided on the night of the show.

Thread Information