Thread: Kento Miyahara

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

Kento Miyahara

One of the biggest stars not in NJPW over the last decade, AJPW Ace nearly single handidly brought the company from legitimately nearly closing down for good to rising up & being a profitable & traditional #2 in Japan. I would argue his best years were in 2016 & it's been a bit downhill since then with him mixing his original style with the Okada/Omega way, but all things considered he still has to be considered a top tier performer with the amount of matches & versatilty he has. I'll be listing a bunch of matches in the Plat section so keep a lookout for "Break Heart".

His strengths as a worker to me are match pacing, which I would rate him as one of the best in the world at as even in his lesser matches, they almost always build appropriately & finish at the right time which can be a struggle for a lot of guys in this day and age.
    -I think his physical charisma & effort is off the charts as despite almost literally carrying an entire company he never takes nights off. Even against lower ranked opponents or in the most meaningless 6 man Kento puts his heart on the line
    for the fans, often getting the crowd involved more than any other person on the shows.
    - His biggest feather in his cap to me isn't actually his MOTYCs, it has to be his tag work with Yoshi Tatsu, singlehandidly taking one of rhe worst wrestlers in any company in Japan who was completely rejected in AJPW as a singles wrestler on the ride into a legitimately great tag team, arguably one of the best going. I can't imagine any of his contemporaries pulling something like that off in quite the same way he has.

I think his not great qualities to me are more recent, as I mentioned devolving into finisher spam a bit too much at times with his Blackout.
    I think his matches against bigger guys can be formulaic & almost always have disappointed me from where I thought they should be. As a singles worker I much prefer him against guys his own size or smaller
    like KAI, Jake Lee, or Nomura rather than Ishikawa, Sekimoto, & Zeus, although he appeared to find the combination to that spell vs Zeus in their MOTYC in October so he may be in for another breakthrough already.

He's not an especially stiff worker, though in this day he's not any worse than most other big names in NJPW/WWE. It just isn't a strength.

All & all, with a strong 2019 he'll have to be high up my list & it would have to be a terrible downfall for him to drop down too far. Well worth consideration for everyone.

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Re: Kento Miyahara

Will undoubtedly make my list, one of my favourites from outside of New Japan with a positive impact on one promotion than very few could rival. It did take a while for me to warm up to him, I remember Dylan hyping the Akiyama match to me from 2016 and it didn't leave much of an impression on me the first time, but when I came to it again at the end of the year once I'd gotten more use to seeing Kento, I thought it was great, so he might be a grower on people.

He was one of my favourites from the CC earlier in the year and I loved the Zeus match from October. My blindspot admittedly is I've never really watched his tag work with Yoshi Tatsu, it at least sounds impressive on paper because Tatsu was awful when he returned to New Japan.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

Kento's 2019 had a good start too with his match last night with Kai. His has good chemistry with most people, great timing, good pacing in his matches and I love the way he sells the fatigue of the match in his movements. Great presence and charisma too him. A bit one note as far as formula goes but it usually works so I'm not complaining.

Status

Miyahara is a guy I haven't seen enough of. Watched a few matches and enjoyed, but just haven't dived in yet. Look forward to checking what you've linked, Dylan.

I'm an old school All Japan guy in a lot of ways - that was my puro introduction. So there is a certain romance about Miyahara taking the mantle once held by Jumbo, Misawa, Kawada, and Kobashi and saving the company.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

WAKE UP

Status

Just watched

Shuji Ishikawa (C) vs Kento Miyahara, 2017

I started off about post in the Ishikawa thread because he was pretty great here. He has some of the best offence and moveset in current wrestling and effectively projects himself as the dominant heel champ. He lays in an awesome beating and does a pretty good job controlling the match for the most part. It's just a shame Miyahara was such absolute dogshit here. After eating a near 10 minute long beating, including a piledriver on the apron (props for taking that atleast) and a big superplex, he literally POPS UP, blows it all off, and just starts hitting offence for his comeback. Terrible selling throughout this match to the point it felt silly him pinning Ishikawa with one suplex after eating such a beating. Also, considering this was maybe the biggest match of his career to date, there was literally no effort to mix up his offence or do anything new, just the same knee strike over and over and over again.

It is going to take a lot to sell me on this guy I think.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

Ill have to watch a lot of Kento 2017 and beyond though I remember enjoying what Dylan has showed me prior to that. I don’t know why I completely dropped off keeping up with him.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Relentless Admin

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Nicky View Post
    I don’t know why I completely dropped off keeping up with him.
    For me it was the google drive being shut down. I lost a lot of interest keeping up with all these other companies when they started up their own services and weren't being as easy to get access to for free.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status

All Japan's shows are starting to pop up again on Russian and Chinese sites now. Some shows are missing though (Like the show w/ Lee vs Akiyama) but most of Miyahara's stuff is there if you look hard enough.

Relentless Admin

Status

Finally watched the Yoshi tatsu title match from last month, really solid stuff again from Kento. I think he’s the Japanese wrestler of the year so far and this is pushing him up my rankings. Will likely be a top 10 guy now.

Thread Information