Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

People's Champion

Status

Re: All Elite Wrestling Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    Would you look at that, curiously vague on financial information on the TV deal

Wrestling on TNT must be quite nostalgic for those that lived through the Monday Night Wars. I think they'll go for Wednesday nights.
    What information do you require?

Super excited for them. Can't wait to see their show.
    Vayne, Fuji, Grim, Booty,Shock, Rainskaker, Nat, Hoho and Lghikas are the best!!!!!!!!!!

Status
      Country                    United States

Quote Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
    What information do you require?

Super excited for them. Can't wait to see their show.
    Well I'm sure he's curious about the compensation situation. Are AEW getting paid for the programming, getting their expenses covered, or are they paying for the air time. I'd also like to know the length of the deal.

Personally I'm very happy for them but I don't see myself getting cable anytime soon so hopefully there will be some other way I can keep a pretty close eye on their stuff. Illegal streaming is one thing when it comes to Raw and Smackdown, but I want to actually contribute to AEW's success.

Wrestling on TNT must be quite nostalgic for those that lived through the Monday Night Wars. I think they'll go for Wednesday nights.
    I wonder how much nostalgia other people have for TNT. When it comes to WCW, I only feel nostalgia for TBS rather than TNT.

BIG KAIJU~

Status
      Country                    Puerto Rico

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I wonder how much nostalgia other people have for TNT. When it comes to WCW, I only feel nostalgia for TBS rather than TNT.
    I evenly have nostalgia for both and I wish nothing but the best for AEW. I watch more than average Bear when it comes to Wrestling, and I still don't know how I get in everything, now it just got longer.
    Last edited by Kairi HoHo; 05-15-2019 at 08:59 PM.
    Real Women of Genius
    The place to see the best of best of Women's Wrestling from all over the World

No One

Status
      Country                    Canada

I really want to follow AEW but right now it looks like itll be a challenge to keep up without going the illegal route or paying over the top prices.

Status

So word from a couple of sources is that AEW will not receive any rights fees from TNT for the content. They are, however, getting a cut of advertising revenue as well as having the network cover production. So its not an amazing deal, in monetary terms, but doesn't sound awful either.

Worth noting that the XFL agreed a similar broadcast deal with no rights fees, and I saw them get roundly criticized for it from a few sources. Actual sport is a different business and has different potential revenue streams from sports entertainment, however.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

The Planet's Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post
    So word from a couple of sources is that AEW will not receive any rights fees from TNT for the content. They are, however, getting a cut of advertising revenue as well as having the network cover production. So its not an amazing deal, in monetary terms, but doesn't sound awful either.

Worth noting that the XFL agreed a similar broadcast deal with no rights fees, and I saw them get roundly criticized for it from a few sources. Actual sport is a different business and has different potential revenue streams from sports entertainment, however.
    Which is where the over-hyping from Meltzer and other media has done them a disservice, because on the face of it it's a good deal for a start up promotion to get their production covered while TNT lower their risk by taking more of an advertising cut other than just paying outright for the product. However given all the talk of 'best TV outside of WWE in wrestling history', and rejection of other news reports that suggested this wasn't a rights fee deal, it's made a good deal look a little anticlimactic and doesn't do anything to rubbish speculation that some media are deliberately not reporting the true story on AEW because they don't want to make enemies and lose contacts (just for another example Conrad Thompson reportedly being nothing to do with AEW when he's up on their website's roster page)

Status

Covering the production cost is pretty good for a start, but I'd really like to see when they go week to week how much of an impact they have. I'm pulling for them, and would really like them to succeed. Personally I can get NJPW & WWE for 9.99 each, I just will never go back to paying $60 bucks for PPV again even if it's quarterly. I'm wondering though how much of an audience this really will have? I read somewhere that they are looking for 400,000 viewers a week, which seems reachable but I'm wondering how big the wrestling audience is these day? The fact they secured TNT is a major win, but with their NBA deals it could prove confusing during playoff time. If the rumors are true, and by just looking at TNT's commitments to the NBA it would have to be on Wednesday which to me is perfect. Raw Monday, AEW Wednesday, Smackdown Friday would be a solid separation.

TAKE THE DREAM~

Status
      Country                    England

Quote Originally Posted by Big Papa View Post

Hmm, didn't Meltzer dismiss that claim when the initial rumors that AEW weren't getting paid for their TV show to be shown? If that's the deal, it's not too bad and could always change depending on AEW's success without too much risk for either side.

No One

Status

Hard to picture spending 50$ a month on a PPV if they end up going the monthly model way.

Status

Which is where the over-hyping from Meltzer and other media has done them a disservice, because on the face of it it's a good deal for a start up promotion to get their production covered while TNT lower their risk by taking more of an advertising cut other than just paying outright for the product. However given all the talk of 'best TV outside of WWE in wrestling history', and rejection of other news reports that suggested this wasn't a rights fee deal, it's made a good deal look a little anticlimactic and doesn't do anything to rubbish speculation that some media are deliberately not reporting the true story on AEW because they don't want to make enemies and lose contacts (just for another example Conrad Thompson reportedly being nothing to do with AEW when he's up on their website's roster page)
    I haven't been following the rumors too closely, TBH. Even if Meltzer does have a pretty direct line into the company.

It really doesn't sound like its a bad deal for the company at all, given they are just starting out. The TSN report I saw talked about how long it took WWE to get to the point where they were getting significant rights fees. They do have a plan to be profitable in the not-too-distant future so they seem like they are accounting for it in their financial planning, which is a reasonably good sign for a well-structured company.
    EVERY ENDING IS A NEW BEGINNING.
    YOUR LUCKY NUMBER IS NONE.
    YOUR LUCKY COLOUR IS DEAD.
    Motto:
    LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON.

Indy Talent

Status

PPV is available on fight for much cheaper than the $50 mark! I'm in Canada and mine shows for 34.99

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    PPV is available on fight for much cheaper than the $50 mark! I'm in Canada and mine shows for 34.99
    35.00 isnt bad but its not great either.

Its the price you gotta pay for the best wrestlers on the planet.
    Vayne, Fuji, Grim, Booty,Shock, Rainskaker, Nat, Hoho and Lghikas are the best!!!!!!!!!!

Status

I feel like the fifty dollar price tag is really gonna bite them in the ass on this one. I know a lot of people are interested in this event, myself included, but there's also a lot of people talking about how they're not about to spend 50 bucks in the 10 dollar a month era of PPV.

There's a pretty big crossover between indie wrestling fans (the type who want to see AEW) and those who know their way around the dark corners of the internet. I bet Double or Nothing is gonna be highly pirated and come out way lower on the profitable side then they're looking for. Hopefully won't hurt them too bad.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Total Nonstop Silk: Reviewing TNA from the Moment of IMPACT
    WC Rumble Winner 2017, Comic and Game Dork, Mafia Overlord, #Iconic

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

[footnote: Is now the longest reigning WWE Champion in Smackdown history]

People's Champion

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Silk View Post
    I feel like the fifty dollar price tag is really gonna bite them in the ass on this one. I know a lot of people are interested in this event, myself included, but there's also a lot of people talking about how they're not about to spend 50 bucks in the 10 dollar a month era of PPV.

There's a pretty big crossover between indie wrestling fans (the type who want to see AEW) and those who know their way around the dark corners of the internet. I bet Double or Nothing is gonna be highly pirated and come out way lower on the profitable side then they're looking for. Hopefully won't hurt them too bad.
    WWE is still highly pirated. Same with most forms of entertainment.

Not saying this wont be pirated but just because WWE offers their service for 10.00 usd doesnt mean people still arent ripping and sharing it. In fact id still say WzwE will be more pirated than AEW due to popularity

Also...theres always the fact that those who pirate wouldn't of spent anyway
    Last edited by indyfan; 05-17-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Status

WWE is still highly pirated. Same with most forms if entertainment.

Not saying this wont be pirated but just bevause WWE offers their service for 10.00 usd doesnt mean people still arentvripping and sharing it.
    WWE has nothing to do with this except for setting the expectations on PPV prices in the current climate.

Of course their stuff is still pirated, they're also making money hand over fist anyway. AEW is not, so they have more to lose if an overly expensive PPV doesn't get a lot of buys.

Silk's Big Dumb Video Game Thread | Total Nonstop Silk: Reviewing TNA from the Moment of IMPACT

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

People's Champion

Status

WWE has nothing to do with this except for setting the expectations on PPV prices in the current climate.

Of course their stuff is still pirated, they're also making money hand over fist anyway. AEW is not, so they have more to lose if an overly expensive PPV doesn't get a lot of buys.
    You used the 10.00 a ppv/month in your post. Thats the only reason i brought it up.

ROH and House of Hardcore both run a similar ppv model as AEW. Price is a bit less. Not sure about HOH but ROH is still great despite the hate here

Status

Also...theres always the fact that those who pirate wouldn't of spent anyway
    Definitely untrue. The success of Spotify, Netflix, and yes the WWE Network, have proven that people will pay for convenience even if they could easily pirate. There's a great number of people who would have happily shelled out 20 or even 30 bucks for this event, especially to support a new company they're really excited about. 50 dollars is a bridge too far in my and a lot of folks opinions.

You used the 10.00 a ppv/month in your post. Thats the only reason i brought it up.

ROH and House of Hardcore both run a similar ppv model as AEW. Price is a bit less. Not sure about HOH but ROH is still great despite the hate here
    ROH's next PPV is 25 dollars. Half the price of this one. If you're a member of their streaming service you get all their events cheaper too.

Paying 50 dollars for a single wrestling PPV in 2019 is ridiculous, no matter what AEW is paying you to spin this.

Never Forget
    Spoiler:

People's Champion

Status

Definitely untrue. The success of Spotify, Netflix, and yes the WWE Network, have proven that people will pay for convenience even if they could easily pirate. There's a great number of people who would have happily shelled out 20 or even 30 bucks for this event, especially to support a new company they're really excited about. 50 dollars is a bridge too far in my and a lot of folks opinions.

ROH's next PPV is 25 dollars. Half the price of this one. If you're a member of their streaming service you get all their events cheaper too.

Paying 50 dollars for a single wrestling PPV in 2019 is ridiculous, no matter what AEW is paying you to spin this.
    Lol how trite!!!!!

I was basing it off of 35.00 a ppv in Canada that Raye pointed out.

And yes people that dont want to spend money wont spend it anyway. Im an example of that. If i want to stream wwes ppvs i would instead of paying for it because i dont have the extra cash for it.

I do the next best thing....go to my friends house and watch it there

And i agree 50.00 is ridiculous. I wouldnt pay it...then again i have a huge issue paying for the WWE network since i have to have cable or get a vpn. I guess we will see how it turns out.

And despite spotify and netflix...pirating is still strong. You cant even be sued more than 5000.00 in Canada for it.

In fact you cant even really measure it. Private trackers arent monitored like sites like pirate bay. Plus they arent monitoring direct download sites either.

Thers also the fact people pay for the subscription and still download because they want personal copy. Im sure this isnt a huge number though.

G1 Supercard was 40.00 usd.
    Last edited by indyfan; 05-17-2019 at 03:06 PM.

No One

Status

Bonus points for the fact that ROH probably doesn't have expenses nearly as huge as AEW will have with the contracts they are theoretically giving out. AEW has a lot more to lose with a lower buyrate and pirated content vs. WWE or an ROH/HOH.

indyfan you won't lose street credit if you admit that AEW isnt perfect

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread Information