Thread: Sami Callihan

WAKE UP

Status

Sami Callihan

I am aware that I am 100% going to be the high voter on him but here we go.

He's definitely not as exciting as he was in the early 2010s. I think he spends too much time playing to live crowds and doing his "gross out" stuff like spitting over his hands.

But he's still a great brawler, works both babyface and heel, has some of the best looking offence in wrestling, knows how to make a match feel unpredictable, and is great at selling. I have been watching his AAW title run from 2017ish and really enjoyed it. He has a strong MOTYC with Low Ki, and a bunch of fun matches with other guys like Hero and Kong off the top of my head.

There's been some stuff I've been left cold and disappointed by - I don't think he gelled at all with the EVOLVE/grappling guys - but there's been enough good stuff under the radar I've enjoyed that I can see him making the cut, especially if he has some good matches on Impact.

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

Re: Sami Callihan

Sami's a better choice than a lot of the WWE guys that's been nominated & I've turned a corner on him through Impact, he's honestly been one of their MVPs. Now mostly through promos & angles which shouldn't count for this yes, but his match against Penta was one of the best Penta matches I've seen & he can brawl in an era where that style is dying.

I don't think he's anywhere close to top 50 in the whole world, but if it were purely Americans he might make it. I would have never said that at any point of his career since I thought he was mostly actively bad & didn't fit anywhere in wrestling he went before 2018.

WAKE UP

Status

man, CZW/IWA/early EVOLVE Sami was fucking great. The guy got good matches out of DJ Hyde on the regular of all people. I won't hear a word otherwise!

Mr. Victory Through Guts

Status
      Country                    Hong Kong

I did enjoy him knocking the shit out of DJ Hyde tbf, but I'd say that about virtually anyone.

Heel Champion

Status
      Country                    Wales

He also lost the first year of this period being with WWE, so that probably counts against him a little bit. I'm a fan of his presentation and work but not sure if he just has enough for me.
    I have a plan so cunning......

The Only 2x WC HOF

Status

It'll be interesting to watch some Callihan. I remember you being really high on him back in the day, Steve, but even at his peak I didn't"get" him.

I thought the Pentagon match from Slammiversary was quite fun but I'm struggling to think if I've seen much else of his. Any recommendations?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

30 Days of WC Member's Choice - Coming Soon - PM me match suggestions

Shock Reviews Archive

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1986 - 1995) - Coming Soon

The 100 Greatest WWE Matches (1996 - 2005) - Completed

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

Not a chance.

I think he's been a good heel in Impact, but that's a low bar, it's not like he's been a contender for heel of the year or anything when you open it up to other companies. I find his whole gimmick phony and try-hard, in certain promotions he looks like a fish out of water, and lets not forget his whole feud with Eddie Edwards only gained interested when Sami botched a weapon spot and dangerous hit him in the eye socket with a baseball bat. I'll openly admit that my feelings towards him means I'm not seeking out a lot of his matches, so maybe I have overlooked some great stuff from him in recent years, but the only match I'd call great that he's had since leaving WWE was w/ Zack against Hero and End for Evolve.

I think he's a good promo, he has a presence in his matches and he has managed to get an average tag team in the Crists over as his lackeys, so he's not all bad but out of everyone nominated so far I reckon he'd have the weakest set of matches to me.

WAKE UP

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Shock View Post
    It'll be interesting to watch some Callihan. I remember you being really high on him back in the day, Steve, but even at his peak I didn't"get" him.

I thought the Pentagon match from Slammiversary was quite fun but I'm struggling to think if I've seen much else of his. Any recommendations?

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
    I would suggest:

vs Hero - AAW Chaos Theory
    w/ Zack vs Hero & End - EVOLVE 53
    vs Mike Bailey - CZW Seventeen
    vs Thatcher - wXw 16CG 2016
    vs Tracey Williams - EVOLVE 57
    vs Mil Muertes, No DQ - Lucha Underground
    vs Hero - AAW Windy City Classic
    vs Low Ki - Homecoming 2017

You definitely have to start looking at the more kitch places to find his best stuff, I didn't care for any of his PWG comeback stuff.

Scumbag Role Model

Status
      Country                    United States

He could be a bottom tier candidate in this but Ed pretty much said everything I would have said. I feel like his peak was before he got signed by the WWE.
    -------
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiZ-R View Post
    What the fuck is happening to you guys? I once got a blowjob where she used her teeth a little bit too much and I ended up with a bloody dick, I still enjoyed the blowjob up to the point I started bleeding. I can honestly say that I have never had anything I would call a bad blowjob, that wasn't a great experience but up until I started gushing blood I was having a great time!
    Spoiler:

Relentless Admin

Status
      Country                    England

He's had a couple matches recently that have caused me to turn the corner on him a little bit. I thought the Tessa Blanchard match was as good as an IG match as I've seen during this time period and Sami didn't wrestle tamely at all for her, and from the looks of things we're getting a rematch so now I'm in the position of actively anticipating a match of his.

I just got done with him defending the AAW title against Darby Allin from their May show and it's an absolute banger, Steve you're gonna want to hunt that match down.

Thread Information